shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone have a "inspired by Vatche RC" custom setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock

I love Vatche RC setting, but I really wish that the band is a bit thinner. Have anyone asked a jeweler to make a "inspired by Vatche RC" custom setting? If so, how did it turn out?? Could you show me a pic?

I''m just concerned about messing up the beauty of the original design by doing so. The design looks complicated to custom make, and also thinner band could make it look odd for the designc.
What are your thoughts on this? Should I stick with the original Vatche RC setting instead of asking local jeweler to custom made it with a bit thinner band (2.8mm or so)?

p.s my stone is going to be around 1 - 1.15 ct.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Hi, how about this setting. It is similar to the RC, But with a thinner band.

celestewhite001.jpg

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
They can customize anyway you like. I have not idea how much it cost or anything, I just saw it on the BTD website.

celestewhite003.jpg

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Here is a picture I found on BTD with a 1 carat stone in yellow gold. It''s a hand picture, but it gives you an idea of how thin the band is.

celesteyellowgold1carat.jpg

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
One more, hope you don''t mind I posted so many pictures. I don''t work for them, really!
2.gif

anotherpiccelesteYG.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i am not really a fan of replicas of the RC setting. they look bulkier, bigger, less fluid to me. that one you posted Butterfly has huge flattened off shank tips ...what is the deal with that?

honestly for something like the RC i'd just pay the $1100 and get the real thing. if someone can replicate it 3/4 as close for $600-800 then is it really worth it? it's not like it's a $7k setting and you are paying $1k to get a replica. in this case i'd fork over the extra $500 or whatever and get the real thing. for really expensive designer settings i typically can't see paying that, but for a $1k setting as beautiful as the RC..i'd get the original.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2006 1:10:40 PM
Author: Mara
i am not really a fan of replicas of the RC setting. they look bulkier, bigger, less fluid to me. that one you posted Butterfly has huge flattened off shank tips ...what is the deal with that?

honestly for something like the RC i''d just pay the $1100 and get the real thing. if someone can replicate it 3/4 as close for $600-800 then is it really worth it? it''s not like it''s a $7k setting and you are paying $1k to get a replica. in this case i''d fork over the extra $500 or whatever and get the real thing. for really expensive designer settings i typically can''t see paying that, but for a $1k setting as beautiful as the RC..i''d get the original.
Ditto. I think you should just get the RC if you love it. An inspired one won''t save you that much money.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2006 1:10:40 PM
Author: Mara

honestly for something like the RC i'd just pay the $1100 and get the real thing. if someone can replicate it 3/4 as close for $600-800 then is it really worth it? it's not like it's a $7k setting and you are paying $1k to get a replica. in this case i'd fork over the extra $500 or whatever and get the real thing. for really expensive designer settings i typically can't see paying that, but for a $1k setting as beautiful as the RC..i'd get the original.

I don't think it's a matter of her not wanting to get the original RC setting or being able to afford it, I think it's more of her wanting to get it with a thinner shank. She says that she loves the RC, but wants a thinner band.

So, she will have to get a customized one regardless, unless she can make herself liove the RC with the wider shank.

I don't really think its a matter of how much the setting cost at all. She never says where can she get one for cheaper, just thinner.

But, I have to agree with you, I am not a fan of the flattened off shank, but I am pretty sure this can be custom made as I have seen it without the euroshank.
2.gif

I jsut figured I would give her whatever options are out there since she did ask.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
here is another Royal Crown inspired ring by Mark Morrell. Jax's ring.

This one is obviously a bulkier and bigger version of the RC and cost probably double as well. But I am positive he can customize a RC-like ring to your liking, for sure!

It's another option if you want to go that route.
2.gif

jax markmorrell.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh yeah i forgot about the width...which is interesting since i thought that the shank was 2.5mm on the RC anyway...

what about seeing if the RC can be shaved down on the shank a bit? i''m sure a vatche dealer can tell you if this is possible, ocean?

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock

Butterfly 17, thanks for the pics.

Hummmc I like the look of it from the top because of the thin band, but from side, the real one looks more elegant. I guess the RCfs width is thicker for a reason?! What does everyone think?! I think the band is about 3 - 3.3mmc
I''m just worried that my 1ct diamond will look much smaller than setting it in the setting with 2.5mm width.

Mara, thanks for the suggestion. I think it may be a good idea. In that case, Ifm sure they will not go too thin where it looses the great looks of RC.

The two main reasons that Ifm considering a custom RC replica are: 1) I want thinner width and 2) I can go back to the local jeweler for cleaning etc anytime I want. So, if I do buy the setting on line (the place I will be purchasing diamond has the setting), where do I bring the ring for future check up and cleaning?!

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
ocean: i was thinking about this and the Tiff''s is 2 - 2.5 ish mm while this RC then is about 3. can we really tell with the naked eye a half a millimeter difference? from this i think MAYBE the tiff just looks so much thinner not because it actually is but because of the knife edge. if thats the case i dont think you could get a thinner look with the RC even if the band were 1 mm thinner, it would have to be knife edge for the thinner look???

i agree if money''s not an option you should just get the original Vatche :):)

maybe you can go to a jewerly store that sells vatche and see how some 1 ct stones look in that setting to get an idea? they probably wqould have some basic knife edge setting too for you to loook at and you could just compare a 1ct in a knife edge and a ct in a RC and see if the width makes that big of a difference???

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ocean have you asked how wide the RC is? I could have sworn it was smaller than 3mm! Now I am really curious.

ETA I did find something online that said 3-4mm wide...that just seems so large! The stones we have seen on here with the RC.. the setting doesn't seem that wide at all!

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
oh ocean, by the way, do you have a local jeweler you trust? because i was thinking yeah you could go to a local jeweler for cleaning prong tightening etc, but first youve gotta know you trust that jeweler... for example the jeweler i almost bought my ring from was definately not trustworthy and actually had i bought it i wouldn''t have felt "safe" going back to him for any other services because id be afraid he''d replace my diamond w/ a CZ or something. but maybe there are some online stores that are more trustworthy (like the PS ones) who could help w/ repairs stuff if you bought from them. i dont know if they do or not. i found out its really hard to trust any of the local jewelers in my town.. :-/ so you might consider that too...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
by the way ocean, any local jeweler will do your cleaning and checking of the prongs etc.

i typically get my ring cleaned anytime i go into a jewelry store, and i have my prongs checked etc and have even had small things done locally at this one place, they have tightened my prongs twice and also shaved out a small area of the inside of my rings to make them fit a little better. all for free...they are fabulous. in terms of being worried about anything, i do trust them but other than that my ring is with them for 5 minutes or less each time which is not enough time to switch out the stone where you would not notice, and they are always really nice about it.

so really for me buying online then taking the ring to be cleaned etc locally was not a big deal at all. esp if that local jeweler knows that if they help you out with taking care of your ring, you might buy a bracelet or necklace or something from them in the future.

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
Frou Frou, I went to a local jeweler who carries RC and tried on yesterday. I loved it, except the width... I tried very simple knife edge too, and I thought it looked much thinner. But, now I think of it, it may have been 2mm kinfe edge though. I know tiffany one is a bit thicker at the top. In RC setting the 1ct diamond looked small too, but I could be just thinking too much and paranoid... haha...

Mara, I asked the store person if the width is about 3mm, and he said yet. But, I doubt that he had a sure answer to that, and I think he just said yes. Also, I just called another place and asked about it. She said it varies by size of stone (really?!), but it is about 4-5 mm!! I think she doesn''t really know what she is talking about either! I''m pretty much sure it was not that thick!
Let me write an e-mail to Vatche. I will let you know.
emwink.gif

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock

Frou Frou, the place Ifm thinking about was recommended by Chris from AGA (Accredited Gem Appraisers) (they are also on PriceScope). Also, when I stopped by yesterday to ask about the custom setting, his wife was there, and she was very nice. Ifve talked to the guy a couple times before too (who would be making the custom setting), and he seems trustworthy. But, since Ifve never seen his work, I will be a bit nervous. Oh, also he said that if I donft like how it turns out, I donft have to buy. So, I think I can try himc

Mara, thatfs good to hear. So, if I decide to go with real RC, I donft have to worried about that.
emsmile.gif

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
that''s great you wouldn''t have to buy if you didn''t like it!!! :)

I SO wish i could find a trustworthy jeweler in my town to set my stone for me..its proving to be a big hassle cause i dont trust any jewelers.

i also looked at different stones in different settings and i think the knife edge does make it look really big and nice. are you leaning towards the RC now more than the knife edge?? what made you decide?

by the way i was looking on www.betterthandiamond.com and here is some other neat stuff. unfortuanately, the designer, Lizz C is not doing any custom work right now. these look stellar though in case you wanted yours custom made.

DSCN0324.jpg

froufrou

Shiny_Rock
those look like a cross between the tiffany and the RC i swear. maybe you should just go for the tiffany if you think the band is too thick, you dont want to get the RC and then start thinking your diamond is too small...

make a pros and cons list.

Tiff
PRO: thin band
con: ... less interesting?

RC
pro: cool design
con: thick band

you want the most attention on the diamond right. its true the RC looks better as is and if you made the band thinner it might not look right..

what are the other pros and cons??

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
Frou Frou, these are pretty nice setting! ...you pros and cons for these two settings are exactly what I had in mind.

I thought about it more, and this is what I want to do.
- ask Vatche if they will shave down the band width to 2.8mm without loosing the look.
- If yes, I will just go with Vatche. If no, then I will talk to the guy at the local jewelry store to see if he thinks it is possible to have the RC with thinner band without loosing the beauty. Also, I only talked to him about Tiffany setting, so I don''t know how much the price will be for RC. If he seems confident, then I will go with him.
- If no from him too, then I will either go with very regular tiffany style setting, or replica made by the guy.

oh, why 2.8mm? I looked at a couple of rings I have now, and I realized that 2.8 mm is thin enough for me. Also, now I''m thinking that the RC may have been around 3.3-3.5mm. I think it was thicker than the 3mm ring I have...

I just can''t wait until when I actually get it!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2006 9:34:35 PM
Author: oceanbeach
I found this thread. This is exactly how I want it to be! Hers was made by Jim at James Allen, and the width is 2.5mm. Perfect! I really like how it looks. It almost look like soft knife edge in one picture. may be it is possible to make it soft knife edge all around?! This may be it!!
emteeth.gif

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-1-52ct-rb-in-plat-royal-crown-james-allen.41398/
Actually stermag''s ring IS the actual Vatche Royal Crown....not a custom and not a knockoff.

so I guess if it''s 2.5mm then they CAN make the band with less width? That''s good to know!!

Keep us posted...!!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Glad you found exactly what you wanted.

By the way, I have the Vatche Royal Crown setting, it is my all time favorite solitaire setting. It is a beautiful setting and the prongs make it atypical.

Vatche also does impeccable work. They have a lifetime guarantee against porosity and will resize your ring for free.
The warranty is only void if you have your diamond set by someone else.

I actually dropped off my ring approximately two weeks ago to have Vatche resize it smaller, restamp it and polish it up. Supercert called me a week later (last week) and told me the ring was ready, but I haven''t had time to go pick it up.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results