shape
carat
color
clarity

Any ideas of where to find an ering with a budget of $2000?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Halo

Shiny_Rock
My BF seems set on only spending $2000 on my engagement ring, but wants quality, and I haven't been able to find any jewelers that sell erings that he could afford.

Can anyone recommend jewelers that have nice erings within his budget? I would really appreciate it because at this point I'm starting to give up and am no longer excited about the ring aspect of the engagement, which is making me sad. He's an amazing guy and, as a girl, I dream of an equally amazing ring. So any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone
1.gif
!

Here are two styles we like, although I know that we may not be able to get something like them given our budget:

1)

PSRing1.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Has he been looking as well? While I know you can definitely get a nice ring for $2000, both of the styles you picked look they would run more than that. If it were my ring, I''d look for a nice half-carat stone and go with a simple setting, with the possibilty of changing the setting later when you have more money to spend. Or check out the colored stones forum and go to the LOGR (Lord of the Gem Rings) thread. It''s an Ebay store, and people are getting very nice settings there for very inexpensive prices. They do have pretty halo settings, and you can upgrade to vs diamonds (from SI) for an added fee. They also have white, rose, or yellow gold. Maybe that would be the way to go. Good luck!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
http://stores.ebay.com/Lord-of-Gem-Rings

Here is a link to their ebay store. As for the diamond, there are many vendors here (whiteflash, goodoldgold, jamesallen, etc.) where you''ll be able to fine a stone. They also have beautiful settings, but they do cost more. On the daimond, you can go lower on color and clarity to get a bigger stone, but DO NOT compromise on cut quality. That is the most important thing for the beauty of a diamond!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2008 3:09:54 PM
Author: Kelli
Has he been looking as well? While I know you can definitely get a nice ring for $2000, both of the styles you picked look they would run more than that. If it were my ring, I''d look for a nice half-carat stone and go with a simple setting, with the possibilty of changing the setting later when you have more money to spend. Or check out the colored stones forum and go to the LOGR (Lord of the Gem Rings) thread. It''s an Ebay store, and people are getting very nice settings there for very inexpensive prices. They do have pretty halo settings, and you can upgrade to vs diamonds (from SI) for an added fee. They also have white, rose, or yellow gold. Maybe that would be the way to go. Good luck!
I was about to suggest the exact same things.
1.gif

Asu

Shiny_Rock
I''m in the same situation,because my husband have accept to upgrade my ring,but he really don''t like jewelry and those kind of things,so I have really a low budget.I''ve found some sites that have good prices,maybe I can help you.
For the mounting you can look here http://stores.ebay.it/Lord-of-Gem-Rings_Diamond-Setting_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ15078077QQftidZ2QQtZkm
they have really good prices and they can make the mount you like,if you send the pics to them.
I''ve even found this site http://www.diamondsafe.com/ I see that they sell gia reported diamonds and they seams to have good prices.Hope it helps
2.gif

Halo

Shiny_Rock
Kelli: Yes, he''s been looking for the past few months, which I just found out. I love halo styles but he thinks they look cheap (crazy!) so he wants us to compromise on style #2. I told him the downside of that is that style #2 requires a bigger center stone which means a lot more money. But I will check out LOGR, thanks
1.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2008 3:15:25 PM
Author: geckodani

1.gif
Great minds think alike!
2.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, unfortunately both styles you posted will eat up your entire budget on quality settings alone. I think the suggestion to put the money towards a nice stone and simple setting for now and then save up to possible reset it into one of your dream settings down the road is a good idea if both of you are open to that.

and i know this isn''t at all the style you are looking for but it sure is a heck of deal on a wedding set for under 2K...you might even be able to use the stone and sell the setting to put $ towards the setting you really want???

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-specials/previously-owned-jewelry/rings/077PO1/0/

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
I posted a thread a few months ago about my mom''s new e-ring - after 35 years, she finally got an upgrade from her diamond cluster e-ring - she''s not flashy and wanted something simple and wearable - I found this incredible 1/2 carat stone from our local jeweler - you should SEE this ring sparkle! It''s gorgeous! We placed it in a fairly simple 14K gold setting - all for right at $2k. It''s beautiful and she loves it!

You can find a BEAUTIFUL stone in that budget - and I agree with who said to place in a classic setting and upgrade to a halo in a few years - Halo settings will take a big bite out of your ring budget.

My Mom''s Ring Thread

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2008 3:24:18 PM

1.gif
Great minds think alike!
2.gif
And then there''s us....
2.gif

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
HOLY WOW!!!! I''d take that set for that price any day Mrs.Salvo. What an awesome find!

LOGR does have settings other than halos too, maybe you''ll find something you like. Seriously though.... that set on pearlman''s.......WOW! Keep us posted whatever you choose!

E B

Ideal_Rock
Halo,

This LOGR setting is similar to the one you posted, and the listing says it can be made to fit any size stone:

Round Semi-Mount

If the price remains about the same (~$250), you can put a .50-.60 ct stone in it. If you use the Pricescope search tool, you can find several in your budget.

Be sure to leave a small portion of the budget for the jeweler's fee to set the stone (whether it be a local or online jeweler like WF).

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hi Halo,

this one is a bit over his budget (3800) but it is a halo with a plain shank (compromise?) and definitely quality http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-specials/previously-owned-jewelry/rings/028PO1/24/

also, i would recommend checking signedpieces.com frequently...... they offer great deals on (previously owned) designer jewelry. i have seen tiffany engagement rings in your price range.

good luck, i hope you are both able to find you something you love!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2008 3:25:56 PM
Author: mrssalvo
well, unfortunately both styles you posted will eat up your entire budget on quality settings alone. I think the suggestion to put the money towards a nice stone and simple setting for now and then save up to possible reset it into one of your dream settings down the road is a good idea if both of you are open to that.

and i know this isn''t at all the style you are looking for but it sure is a heck of deal on a wedding set for under 2K...you might even be able to use the stone and sell the setting to put $ towards the setting you really want???

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-specials/previously-owned-jewelry/rings/077PO1/0/

Unfortunately I am pretty sure that the center being a "russian brilliant" means it is a CZ...so it doesn''t help her much unless she loves the setting.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Knox Jewelers has some great stuff within your budget. This ring looks like the second inspiration and is under $1000 leaving you with another $1,000 for a nice half carat stone:

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=203&rn=1626&action=show_detail

If he can be a little flexible on the budget, this ring looks a lot like that Ritani you love and is only $1500. If he can do $2500 you can get a gorgeous 1/2 carat stone for it:

http://www.knoxjewelers.biz/index.htm?crn=203&rn=1555&action=show_detail

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2008 3:24:18 PM

1.gif
Great minds think alike!
2.gif
Yeah, well, this would have been my suggestion, too.
3.gif

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock

Halo

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone for the replies
1.gif
I think I may be able to find something I like from the sites suggested, but curse my love for the Ritani setting, hehe. But you have all really helped me see how much further my BF could stretch his budget!

Inanna: I suggested that he could pay for the setting and I could pay for the center stone (up to $9,000) but he got a little angry and said that I might as well just buy the whole ring myself then because it is his "job" to buy my ring. I think I'll bring it up with him again at another time and maybe he will be a little more reasonable.

The setting you suggested it really pretty and I think it would be something that he would like. I will show it to him. Thanks
1.gif

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/6/2008 5:50:24 PM
Author: Halo
1.gif
I think I may be able to find something I like from the sites suggested, but curse my love for the Ritani setting, hehe. But you have all really helped me see how much further my BF could stretch his budget!

Inanna: I suggested that he could pay for the setting and I could pay for the center stone (up to $9,000) but he got a little angry and said that I might as well just buy the whole ring myself then because it is his ''job'' to buy my ring. I think I''ll bring it up with him again at another time and maybe he will be a little more reasonable.

The setting you suggested it really pretty and I think it would be something that he would like. I will show it to him. Thanks
1.gif

Glad you like it. I also think the halo setting Neatfreak posted from Knox Jewelers is great, and so much like the Ritani setting you love.

I understand him not wanting you to put in for the bulk of the ring. However, maybe you can convince him to allow you to chip in a portion (say, $1000 or less). Good luck!

Sapphire_Cutie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/6/2008 2:59:18 PM
Author:Halo
My BF seems set on only spending $2000 on my engagement ring, but wants quality, and I haven''t been able to find any jewelers that sell erings that he could afford.

Can anyone recommend jewelers that have nice erings within his budget? I would really appreciate it because at this point I''m starting to give up and am no longer excited about the ring aspect of the engagement, which is making me sad. He''s an amazing guy and, as a girl, I dream of an equally amazing ring. So any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone
1.gif
!

Here are two styles we like, although I know that we may not be able to get something like them given our budget:

1)
Halo,
What about this setting?
http://cgi.ebay.com/0-36ct-Pave-Diamond-Semi-Mount-14K-Gold-Engagement-Ring_W0QQitemZ370092145393QQihZ024QQcategoryZ152869QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
It is from the same Ebay seller that the other kadies had mentioned. Its only $199.00 so that would leave you $1800.00 for the stone.

Sharon101

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/6/2008 5:50:24 PM
Author: Halo
1.gif

Inanna: I suggested that he could pay for the setting and I could pay for the center stone (up to $9,000) but he got a little angry and said that I might as well just buy the whole ring myself then because it is his ''job'' to buy my ring. I think I''ll bring it up with him again at another time and maybe he will be a little more reasonable.

1.gif
Right on about the timing (of the request) making all the difference!!!! OMG....the stories I could tell!!!!
11.gif
I also think that its early days. Most guys really underestimate the budget they will end up spending in the beginning. After some hands on shopping, the budget often changes.

But seriously, no need to rock the boat too much `before` the marriage....plently of time after.....(j/k...j/k)....

Another suggestion is have you considered an eternity band for that type of budget, something that looks beautiful and sparkly and can be used in any future sets as a wedding band, stacker or right hand ring???

My other suggestion is to go with a vendour that will let you trade up. That way you can continue to `grow` your diamond as time and funding permits!!!!!

Good luck.....and maybe let your partner know that it is a joint purchase really in this day and age, seeing as your money will be joint anyway after the marriage.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I am sure you and your boyfriend will be able to find the perfect ring that will look like a million bucks! It''s amazing the things you can find on a tight budget. The LOGR settings are gorgeous and very budget friendly. Also, places like Blue Nile and James Allen will have a few inexpensive settings that you can use to build your ring. Have you considered a gemstone ring?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look at Newyorkestatejewelry.com - I always see things I think must cost much more and there ARE things in the 2''s. Good luck!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Based on your second pic (the one you both liked), here is something I came up with in your budget

.5 G SI diamond (assuming it is eyeclean)

Common prong setting in WG

I think that would come in just under $2000

Here is another idea

.5 I Si diamond

Legato with micro pave this will be about $2200, just over

or peite open cathedral this one should put you right at $2000 with the diamond above.

Do you like any of these? I think you can do something nice for you budget, you just have to do some shopping.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2008 3:25:56 PM
Author: mrssalvo

and i know this isn't at all the style you are looking for but it sure is a heck of deal on a wedding set for under 2K...you might even be able to use the stone and sell the setting to put $ towards the setting you really want???

OOh, Mrs Salvo, perhaps I should get you to do MY jewellery shopping. What a great suggestion!!

As a girl who had to live with what I considered an unreasonably small budget (let's just be kind and say less than $1000
2.gif
) my heart goes out to you. I WILL get an upgrade, one day though, even if I have to cook my husband and sell his flesh at a street stall to pay for it!
9.gif
If you don't like the suggestion of Mrs Salvo - perhaps you should get HIM to do the footwork, perhaps after a couple of months he'll get the picture and decide you're worth more after all. I think in retrospect, I should have made my man do a bit more work haha!
3.gif

As for halos, I'm in another country and so probably somewhat removed from the whole halo craze. While I'm not saying halos look cheap or whatever (I mean, I too have a cluster ring around a centre .10 pointer, so there is something of the halo in my ring) there is something to be said for that classy solitaire look.

I like the idea of shopping with an upgradeable vendor though, it gives you hope for the future!!

Good luck girl, I'm sending you my best wishes!
35.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
With LOGR, you can upgrade to VS diamonds. It's $199/carat to upgrade to VS diamonds. I'm not sure as to the quality of the SI diamonds he uses, but others might want to let you know about that. I have an LOGR setting with VS diamonds and they sparkle nicely, no eye visible inclusions. You can also upgrade to 18K gold as well, and I think that's also a $11.8 per gram for the 18K upgrade. Other options to think about if you're going to consider an LOGR setting. I recently won an LOGR halo in auction for $124 and upgraded for resizing ($10), VS diamonds (around $50) and resizing the head (another $50). My setting cost around $250 and that includes .29 points of VS diamonds in 14K gold. This particular halo setting will normally accomodate a 6mm stone (.75 to a full carat stone). I'm getting him to make it for a 5mm (half carat stone though). Check it out in LaurenThePartier's picture here, she just got this setting for her lovely OEC:

http://com.pricescope.com/photos/stones/category1003/picture3526.aspx

The setting is so inexpensive that it leaves you with a relatively large budget for a really nice stone. Most people put their budget into the stone. You can always upgrade the setting later or on an anniversary.

I would also get a stone with SI clarity. You should be spending the money on the cut and the color. I think something like G color and SI2 clarity in a round brilliant will give you a lot of bang for your buck. I don't get hung up on clarity unless it's a stone like an emerald cut that cannot easily hide flaws. JMO.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Smurfysmiles got a ring very similar to the first one you posted from a chain/mall jewelry store...and I do believe it was right around your budget for the whole thing...

I know, I know...people on this site usually shy away from "maul" stores...but this store has a ungrade policy, and is budget friendly. Beside, who cares where it comes from, if it comes from his heart anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results