shape
carat
color
clarity

anniec needs ring help!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anniec24

Rough_Rock
i have decided that i want a simple round solitare and my boyfriend has given the jeweler a $25,000 budget for the diamond- it seems that is the first question they ask.... i have been stuck on a 2.5-3.0 ct
any advice on what to concentrate on besides size in that range? i know that the larger the size, the lower the clarity/color in that price range. i am looking for the perfect balance. we have seen a 2.53 ct. that looks like a 3.0 due to the quality. also, i can''t tell the difference between white gold and platnium. i am confused!

thanks!

20.gif

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
First, go read the tutorial on diamonds. (Under knowledge on the top of this page)

Second, CUT is the most important thing to concern yourself with. Then for you, size. But never sacrifice cut for size. Never.
11.gif

Third, any stone that is 2.5ct that looks like a 3ct is way too shallow and will not be anywhere as gorgeous as a well cut diamond.

After you read the tutorial, if you have any questions, feel free to fire away!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup, Cut is key. As Rascal said read the diamond tutorial. It''s very helpful and you can go to a jeweler informed. Good luck!!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Read as much as you possibly can on this site and go into the process informed. I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up working with an internet vendor because you will probably get a better diamond for your money. Look at lots of pictures too (the eyecandy thread is great) so you have an idea what is possible! For your budget, you should be able to get an AMAZING, AMAZING and LARGE well cut diamond in pretty much whatever setting you can imagine! What a great position to be in!!

Oh, and with that budget, I would definitely get platinum (just my opinion!) There are lots of threads about the pros/cons. Plat is a lot more expensive but will last forever. It is also heavier and feels more luxurious. It may need occasional polishing but it will stay white. Now, white gold is also a great metal, but often used as a less expensive way to get the white metal look, and it will need rhodium plating (or at least, it probably will need it every few months to every few years). Both are nice but I'd go plat, just my opinion!

Some of my favorite simple solitaires are the Vatche X prong which I have, and the SuperbCert Tiffany replica, and especially the solitaires made by Mark Morrell - all have many many pictures available on pricescope!!

Good luck and happy hunting!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/6/2006 11:03:39 PM
Author:anniec24
i have decided that i want a simple round solitare and my boyfriend has given the jeweler a $25,000 budget for the diamond- it seems that is the first question they ask.... i have been stuck on a 2.5-3.0 ct
any advice on what to concentrate on besides size in that range? i know that the larger the size, the lower the clarity/color in that price range. i am looking for the perfect balance. we have seen a 2.53 ct. that looks like a 3.0 due to the quality. also, i can''t tell the difference between white gold and platnium. i am confused!

thanks!

20.gif
$25k should buy you a "beautiful cut" 2.5 ct I SI1 stone about 8.80 mm in diameter. do you have the measurements on the 2.53ct?

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

Wow! With that budget, you should be able to get yourself a beautiful diamond. However, you don''t want to make an expensive mistake, so take your time and do some reading.

As for plat vs white gold. I would go for platinum every time. White gold needs replating from time to time. Platinum never needs replating, and (in my opinion) has a far nicer sheen to it. It is more expensive, but well worth the extra.

Platinum, platinum, platinum......Blod
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results