shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Amazing Experience with Victor Canera - Custom Solitaire

marcdc

Rough_Rock
First off I'd just like to thank this forum (and everybody on it) for all the knowledge and resources it provided while I planned my engagement to my girlfriend/fiance.

After a lot of reading, researching, and comparing, I decided to go buy a loose diamond from James Allen. While I could justify another post dedicated solely to this process, suffice it to say that working with the fine people at James Allen was fantastic, and I would absolutely recommend them to anybody searching for a diamond. Their prices are great, their website is incredibly user friendly and detailed, and their customer service reps couldn't be nicer or more informative.

I live in NYC and have a lot of options to choose from as it relates to getting the setting done. However, after reviewing tons of photos online and reading peoples experiences with various vendors, I decided that Victor Canera was the best choice for me. While it seems to me that he is well known for his pave work, specifically halos, I felt that he would be the best person to design a custom solitaire ring for me (sans halo).

I initially reached out to Victor via email and provided him with a fairly detailed description of what I wanted, and also provided pictures of what I liked, as well as what I didn't like. The inspiration for my ring was the Cartier 1895 setting. I actually considered going with either Cartier or Tiffany's, but to be honest with you the value wasn't there from a pricing perspective. I didn't love the 6 prong setting of the Tiffany solitaire either.

After some back and forth, both via email as well as on the phone, Victor helped me settle on a final design for the ring. I think it was helpful that I had a good idea of what I wanted before I contacted him, but he certainly helped refine the final vision. We settled on using his Trueste design, in platinum, as the base for ring. I hadn't seen that setting with pave before, and knew that I wanted pave diamonds on the shank. I also wanted four prongs with the single claws on them bc it showed off the diamond better (vs the double claws that are sometimes used for larger diamonds). Finally, I wanted to add pave diamonds to the basket of the ring (part that holds the diamond up). I also asked him to make both the shank as well as the basket thinner than what is normally created because I thought it would highlight the center stone better.

After all was said and done, the final result was amazing. Even the independent appraiser here in NYC remarked at how nice the pave work was as well as the overall craftsmanship of the ring. Shipping from NYC to LA and back via his Malca Amit account was easy as could be, and everyone that has seen the ring has loved it.

Oh, and I just checked and he now has our design and exact ring featured on his website!

That's enough rambling. Now onto the specs and pics:

Carat: 3.02
Color: Eye
Clarity: SI1
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Cut: Excellent
Girdle: Medium-Slightly Thick
Fluorescence: Medium Blue

I proposed in Paris on Christmas Day on the Pont des Arts bridge. A little cheesy, I know, but she loved it and we'll both remember this day forever.

ring2_2.png

ring1_1.png

I tried taking some of my own macro pics, but to be honest, they're not nearly as good as the ones on Victor's website. Still so excited that our ring is featured on his site!

vc3.jpg

vc2_1.jpg

vc1_2.jpg

The lock I had made that we put on the bridge:

lock1.png

And finally some pics from the bridge where it all went down:

view2.png

view1.png

Just wanted to share my experience with you all. I would absolutely, positively recommend Victor Canera to anyone looking to get a setting made. It took him one month to make the setting, and dealing with his was easy and hassle free. He does a phenomenal job and I'm so happy we ended up using him.

Good luck to everyone out there!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! What a lovely story and photos as well. Thanks for sharing!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Congrats!! What a lovely, classic ring. I LOVE the bridge too, definitely one of my life goals to go one day.

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perfect engagement, perfect ring! VC did a great job! :appl:

SMC

Ideal_Rock
What a lovely proposal story! The ring is beautiful. What size is her finger?

marcdc

Rough_Rock
ecf8503|1388795813|3585860 said:
Beautiful! What a lovely story and photos as well. Thanks for sharing!

pandabee|1388796002|3585864 said:
Congrats!! What a lovely, classic ring. I LOVE the bridge too, definitely one of my life goals to go one day.

Thank you both!

The bridge was very cool. Certainly not as ornate as some of the other bridges in Paris, but with all the locks on there it's very very romantic

marcdc

Rough_Rock
sortmon|1388796269|3585871 said:

Thank you!

This ring is a 5.75 but we maaaaay get it resized to a 5.5. It's fits her, and certainly won't slide off, but it turns a bit easily so we're still on the fence about getting it resized or not. We may wait until the weather is warmer to see how it fits then.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that is beautiful!!!!! Great job, huge stone and it looks amazing in the VC setting!!!!!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
marcdc said:
sortmon|1388796269|3585871 said:

Thank you!

This ring is a 5.75 but we maaaaay get it resized to a 5.5. It's fits her, and certainly won't slide off, but it turns a bit easily so we're still on the fence about getting it resized or not. We may wait until the weather is warmer to see how it fits then.

Try it on with some wedding bands before you decide to resize too. Stacking will make her ering feel tighter. However, if she can shake it off her hand, then it's very likely too big for sure.

From my limited experience, the bigger the diamond, the more likely gravity will make it spin or flip forward. My 2ct does that, I can only imagine the problem would be intensified with 3cts!

Congratulations again! The lock is super cute.

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement. Victor made an absolutely gorgeous ring for you.

marcdc

Rough_Rock
sortmon|1388797513|3585888 said:
Try it on with some wedding bands before you decide to resize too. Stacking will make her ering feel tighter. However, if she can shake it off her hand, then it's very likely too big for sure.

From my limited experience, the bigger the diamond, the more likely gravity will make it spin or flip forward. My 2ct does that, I can only imagine the problem would be intensified with 3cts!

Congratulations again! The lock is super cute.

Wow, that is great advice thank you! We'll definitely go ahead and try some bands on to see if that makes a difference. And good to know that it's somewhat normal for the ring to fall "off-center". Thank you!

nottospec

Shiny_Rock
Congrats on the engagement and what a ring! Victor is master craftsman and you have both designed a stunner!

My ring spins too. Really annoying so I went to a hardware store, bought a tiny length of 3mm clear tubing , cut a tiny length off, slit it and wear it on my ring. No spinning and I have enough length left to make another 10 or so for under $1. Easy!!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Seriously - you are a true romantic. What a gorgeous proposal. My husband proposed in our living room. Love him beyond all measure but he's not overly Mr Romance. If she ever lets you go, please give me a chance ;-)

And the ring! Swoon! Heaven!!

Re the sizing, I can fluctuate a full half a size from summer to winter. It's winter in Paris/Northern Hemisphere at the moment so wait a few months until it gets warmer and you might find it's a perfect fit. Also, others are correct in that you'll need it to be bigger to allow for a wedding band or bands to stack with it.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
That's a stunning solitaire!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring...what a dream engagement. Congratulations!!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your engagement. What a romantic proposal.

The ring is beautiful!!! It shows Victor's craftmanship and eye for details. I love his work!!! The ring looks stunning on her hand. Please post more pics.

I agree with others to wait with resizing, especially if she will combine it with a wedding band. Sizing beads could also be an option.

Daisyoz

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! What a gorgeous ring. Your proposal was so romantic! Did you say the stone colour is E or I? Looking very nice on her hands! Congrats again!

marcdc

Rough_Rock
nottospec|1388805848|3585976 said:
Congrats on the engagement and what a ring! Victor is master craftsman and you have both designed a stunner!

My ring spins too. Really annoying so I went to a hardware store, bought a tiny length of 3mm clear tubing , cut a tiny length off, slit it and wear it on my ring. No spinning and I have enough length left to make another 10 or so for under $1. Easy!!

Oh wow, that's a clever little solution... We'll try that today and see if that helps. Thank you!

marcdc

Rough_Rock
misskittycat|1388806687|3585987 said:
Seriously - you are a true romantic. What a gorgeous proposal. My husband proposed in our living room. Love him beyond all measure but he's not overly Mr Romance. If she ever lets you go, please give me a chance ;-)

And the ring! Swoon! Heaven!!

Re the sizing, I can fluctuate a full half a size from summer to winter. It's winter in Paris/Northern Hemisphere at the moment so wait a few months until it gets warmer and you might find it's a perfect fit. Also, others are correct in that you'll need it to be bigger to allow for a wedding band or bands to stack with it.

Haha, glad you liked the proposal! It took a bit of planning, that's for sure, but it was definitely worth it!

With all the feedback we're getting here I definitely think it makes sense to wait to resize it. And we didn't even know or consider that the ring had to have a little room in it so it fit well with a band. Thanks!

marcdc

Rough_Rock
MarkySimons|1388828051|3586094 said:
Wow.. So beautiful featuring an amazing antique faceted cushion diamond... :)

It's actually a round brilliant diamond, not a cushion cut diamond

marcdc

Rough_Rock
Daisyoz|1388835878|3586103 said:
Congratulations! What a gorgeous ring. Your proposal was so romantic! Did you say the stone colour is E or I? Looking very nice on her hands! Congrats again!

It's I color. I wrote it out as "Eye" because it didn't want it confused with a lowercase "L"

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely gorgeous ring! :love: :love: :love: Wonderful proposal too! Congratulations :appl:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is really gorgeous!!! VC does such impeccable work, it looks fabulous on her! You did an amazing job with the ring and the proposal! :appl:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really beautiful! And nice proposal too. Congratulations!!

marcdc

Rough_Rock
lknvrb4 said:
Beautiful, congratulations!

woofmama said:
Absolutely gorgeous ring! :love: :love: :love: Wonderful proposal too! Congratulations :appl:

junebug17 said:
Wow, that is really gorgeous!!! VC does such impeccable work, it looks fabulous on her! You did an amazing job with the ring and the proposal! :appl:

Laila619 said:
Really beautiful! And nice proposal too. Congratulations!!

Thank you so much!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results