shape
carat
color
clarity

Am thinking of changing this setting to a solitaire setting-

janetjoan64

Shiny_Rock
What do you think? While I love this setting and only just recently purchased it I was rather dismayed to find out that unlike what is posted on this designers website- the diamonds are not vs2 g or better. I was rather stunned when I went to get an appraisal of this setting along with the diamond I had purchased from another source and the gemologist told me that he saw mostly si1 diamonds and some diamonds with color as low as K. While I have always enjoyed chunkier pieces of jewelry I am now beginning to appreciate the elegant simplicity of a solitaire setting- I have tried one on my finger and my diamond is the main focal point not the setting. I feel like in this setting my diamond is just part of the piece and not really a focal point. Opinions please- I am able to return it I just cant seem to get it right- my friends all think its lovely but I am beginning to think its just too busy. everybody on this forum is always so helpful . Please give me your honest opinion. Its 18k gold with about 1.10 of diamonds Another thing that bothers me is how high the diamond sits up on the ring- when the ring is sideways you can see a little hole. Your opinions would be much appreciated.new%20pics%20016.jpg

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Am thinking of changing this setting to a solitaire sett

Your setting is really pretty. I get what you mean about wanting your center stone to be the star and not get lost in the setting. You should try on a setting that is solitaire style with a few small stones on the band on each side. It's kind of the best of both worlds. Good luck with your search.

janetjoan64

Shiny_Rock

Thanks thats a good idea. I tried on a solitaire setting and was amazed at how my diamond just sparkled. I guess thats why they are timeless. It really is necessary o try on sooo many settings. They all look so different on your hand. By the way- your ring is beautiful!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hey, again! :wavey:

Well, you can see that I went for the plain solitaire. I like the sparkle to come from diamond wedding bands! I feel like that does allow the e-ring stone to be the focus.

I do think your setting is beautiful, but I would be unhappy if the stones are not the quality you had expected. I think I told you before that I think they set the stone way too high. Most rings like that have the diamond sitting just above the halo itself. There are lots of examples around here if you do decide to keep it and just have the stone lowered.

For me personally, I'd rather have that type of setting with maybe a colored stone as right hand ring for occasional wear. A simple solitaire allows you to have multiple bands so you can change the look of the set that way.

janetjoan64

Shiny_Rock

I know! I actually went and tried on the Vatche you were referencing and I must say ... I cant believe how something so simple can be so beautiful.Its stunning on. Is it less expensive to order it from an online vendor as opposed to an actual store. Also since the band is so thin what size wedding band would you wear with it? Any suggestions- I am a size 5 so small hands.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You and I definitely need to go shopping!!! I am glad you liked the Vatche rings! If you get your diamond from DD, it is fine to get the setting from them. Just be 100% sure they send the stone to Vatche to set because they will do the best job, if you ever get a Vatche setting, that is. DD may be less than most of these vendors. They discount the diamonds more than the settings in many cases. It is almost always best to get the stone and setting at the same place.

Are you still thinking about changing the diamond? I just looked back at the other thread and you said they might get more stones in in Jan. That would be a better time to shop, I think!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh, and there are so many styles of bands that are beautiful! I like looking through the Tiffany rings because theirs are so classic and elegant. But you can usually get the same designs elsewhere. It will be fun to look for bands once you definitely settle on the e-ring. Been there, done that, so I'd be glad to help you!

janetjoan64

Shiny_Rock

I know we do! I could certainly benefit from your vast knowledge.I think I will wait till January. Thay said it may be the latter part of the month . Maybe we could meet up and go together to look. That would be fun.For now I am going to hold onto the vs 2 i because it sparkles so much but looks like it will be without a setting in a few days. Oh well I am definitely learning patience which is new for me.Would love your help I just end up conusing myself as you can palinly see- pretty embarrasing actually.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Listen, I have changed my solitaire setting a few times!!!! Being on here makes you a little crazy after awhile! :lol: But seriously, we do have to sometimes try something to know what we like the most! I am settled on my style, but I have gone after the perfect solitaire setting, and I am hoping to manage to have my own final ring settled soon!

We can definitely meet and go in January. I wanted us to have a C get-together anyway, but we could go shopping for your ring first if you wanted to. All you have to do is post in Rocky Talky or Diamond Hangout and I'll probably see it. Or I'll do the same.

MissStepcut

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Was the appraiser an independent appraiser?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just a few thoughts:-

Were you happy with how the ring performed BEFORE you had the appraisal? The reason I ask is that people get hung up on clarity and colour and sometimes forget that SI diamonds can be very pretty indeed. If you had doubts about the performance then I can understand it.

In terms of the setting itself, if you feel it's too busy for everyday wear then perhaps it would be perfect for an occasion wear ring and you could maybe even put a coloured stone in the centre?

Before you actually buy a solitaire setting I would urge you to buy a silver solitaire with a fake diamond in it and wear it for a few days. Swapping from a substantial setting to a solitaire may look good for a few hours but you may find that it isn't enough for you long term.

For what it's worth, I adore your setting and I certainly wouldn't get rid of it lightly!

Iluvprettyrocks

Shiny_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1323752850|3080302 said:
Listen, I have changed my solitaire setting a few times!!!! Being on here makes you a little crazy after awhile! :lol: But seriously, we do have to sometimes try something to know what we like the most!

diamondseeker2006-As a newbie I SO appreciate this comment...I come on here just about everday and I feel like I'm going crazy looking at all these beautiful rings, I've started scrutinizing my NEW halo, going crazier OMG :lol:

janetjoan64-I think your setting is Stunning but I totally understand wanting a solitaire, because I want one too (with a bigger center stone) :oops: but I can't let my "crazy" take over because if I ask my fiance to change my setting again, I'm sure he'll be convinced that I'm a few beers short of a six pack :lol: So I'll just wait until we are married a few years before I bring the topic up again :))

But that is what I Luv about PS I'm able to ooohhh and ahhhh over rocks and we all understand one another :appl: Good Luck on your search and I'm looking forward to your follow up post :D

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock

I would be quite mad if I bought a setting and it turned out to be not as it was sold. I would be a full refund and go back to setting searching.

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock

janetjoan64|1323748669|3080271 said:
Thanks thats a good idea. I tried on a solitaire setting and was amazed at how my diamond just sparkled. I guess thats why they are timeless. It really is necessary o try on sooo many settings. They all look so different on your hand. By the way- your ring is beautiful!
Thanks jj64 :appl:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

I love the setting , and if it's to late to go back to the original vendor, I would just leave the issues in the past. Don't let it cloud your enjoyment of the setting.

That said, I think the setting would be great for a colored stone. Your diamond would look spectacular on it's own in a solitaire, or in whatever setting you like. It looks like a nice size.

janetjoan64

Shiny_Rock

Thank you so much for asking that question. The answer is no- the appraiser was actually the gemologist who sold me the diamond . I took the ring to an independent appraiser today who confirmed that the diamonds in the setting were si1 and the color g-h and definitely not k at all. He actually laughed at what the other person said.So although the diamonds are not vs2 g as described on the Vanna K website since I purchased the ring from an individual who meant no deception and I do love the ring.... I am going to keep it.Although... I am at this very moment wearing a silver solitaire on my finger to see how I like it.So far while the stone is the center of attention I dont know- It feels so light!

janetjoan64

Shiny_Rock

You were so sweet to mention that and I am going to heed your advice. While I love the idea of this ring as a RHR I would have to find a new husband as well! What with the high price of diamonds these days- I just purchased the diamond- I am afraid I wouldnt be able to afford to keep it for use as a RHR so enough obssessing- for now.I am going to enjoy this ring as intended.Thanks for your suggestion :wavey: :appl:

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock

I think your setting is lovely. Lots of finger coverage!

Ravinmad

Shiny_Rock

I think you have your mind made up but it comes down to if you want your diamond to be the stand alone show stealer aka Solitare, or just another pretty face in a lineup at a pagent. The three stone settings are nice as well because its like the main diamond has taken the Gold, and the side stones are the silver and bronze metals winners. 3 stone settings make me think of the best 3 in a olympic event.

Good luck in whatever decision you opt to take! :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

janetjoan64|1323918940|3081912 said:
You were so sweet to mention that and I am going to heed your advice. While I love the idea of this ring as a RHR I would have to find a new husband as well! What with the high price of diamonds these days- I just purchased the diamond- I am afraid I wouldnt be able to afford to keep it for use as a RHR so enough obssessing- for now.I am going to enjoy this ring as intended.Thanks for your suggestion :wavey: :appl:

Sorry I missed this yesterday! It is a beautiful ring, so I don't think you'll be sorry you kept it, especially since you learned that the setting is good quality! And there are always anniversaries in the future where you just might could get a solitaire later if you still wanted one! ;)) My friend, MrsSalvo, and I always say that we need 2 different wedding sets in different styles! I am thinking someone needs to start that trend! :lol:

janetjoan64

Shiny_Rock

I always have a backup plan. Was thinking it would be a shame not to enjoy this setting for at least a while now that I have priscopitis! great minds think alike.I know however that this wont be the last setting I purchase .Its so much fun to see different settings.I just thought if I returned this one I might end up regrettingit eventually and I wouldnt be able to find another one like it- hasnt stopped me from trying on settings today though lol :twirl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think you might regret it, because if you ever did get another ring, you could always set a beautiful sapphire or something in this one without having to buy two diamonds. I am getting a ring of similar style (just not as large) soon for a right hand ring! We'll definitely have a PS get-together sometime after the holidays!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results