shape
carat
color
clarity

Alternative to soldering?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
My current e-ring (we''re in the process of upgrading) is a .6 RB in a yellow gold countour setting. I usually wear it next to a 7 stone bezel/channel set anniversary band. I enjoy occasionally wearing the band alone, but when I wear them together I''m constantly trying to "realign" them. The diamond slips to the right, the band to the left.

I do not want them soldered, but is there some temporary solution to my sliding problem?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately, this is sometimes the nature of the beast with e-ring and band on same hand that are two separate rings. That is why so many people eventually give in and just have them soldered (I am with you on not wanting to do that, as I like to keep my options open!).

The only thing I can think of is to have those little sizing "balls" or "bars" placed inside each ring, so that when you place it on your finger in the proper position, it will "grab on/sink into" that precise place on your finger and not move, thus keeping the e-ring upright and the 7-stone anniversary band lined up accordingly.

If you have never had a ring with the "sizing" options soldered inside the shank, you might want to see if your jeweler has a "sample" for you to try, as some people love them and don't even feel them yet others find them very uncomfortable. I would imagine, however, that if they "install" them and you are not happy, it would be easy to remove -- but I would confirm this with your benchperson.

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Headlight!

So would you recommend sizing balls for solitaires? I have the same problem! Diamond slides way left, way right because it's so top-heavy.

I'm going to look into some sizing balls! I hope they're comfy.
rodent.gif

fancyrock

Brilliant_Rock
The sliding problem drives me nuts. I have skinny fingers (4 - 4.5 ring size) and the ring always "run in circles". I wish my fingers got some meat on them so my ring would stay put! My friends said that I should be glad I have skinny fingers, but they don't understand how annoying the "sliding ring" problem can be. So, this time in designing my own e-ring (6.88mm width) and wedding band (3mm each), I went with a wider setting and 2 bands (one on each side of my e-ring). I think they will be no room for them to slide.
9.gif

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
Me, too!

I'm on the verge of painting the bottom of my ring with rubber cement for some static friction!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
My finger is approx. a size 4.5 - 4.75 (depending on width of the shank and how hot/humid the weather is), yet my knuckle is larger (which is a whole other story altogether). My stone is 3.29. When I had it as a solitaire, it was set moderately high and was a narrow shank and made me crazy because it spun all the time. The jeweler told me that if I got the matching band with a notch in it, it would help it to "stay put". Well, he sold me the band but all it did was cause me to then have TWO rings that spun! I was always having to put them "back together".
Then I abandoned ship and had a three-stone ring made, with the center stone set EXTREMELY low (as low as it could go without having the culet touch my skin!) and was balanced not only by the stones on each side of the center diamond, but also by a shank with more "width" than a dainty 2 mm type. This has completely alleviated the problem and is SO comfortable to wear. The ring is like a "part" of my hand, and not something I'm constantly "fighting" with.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Headlight, so you're saying that the best solution is to buy a honking big three-stone ring? I'm with you all the way on that!!!

Sizing balls is something I'll look into, but do the "professionals" out there have any other advice?

headlight

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/23/2004 1:35:34 PM Upgradable wrote:

Headlight, so you're saying that the best solution is to buy a honking big three-stone ring?

LOL!!! You know what I meant
9.gif

fancyrock

Brilliant_Rock
Headlight,

I have the same "knuckle" problem. In order to fit my ring thru I HAVE TO get the ring sized to fit thru my knuckle and that would mean the ring size would have to be a little bigger then where you want your ring to sit. I'm not a big fan of sweating (who is?), but I tell you... I sure like those hot days
angryfire.gif
when my finger is more swollen so my ring wouldn't spin. What a way to fix the spinning ring problem..?!!?
sick.gif

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
Once I saw some ingenious designs on a "locking band" -- it opened up so that you could slip it over the knuckle, and it clicked closed.

The design was so clever the hinge was completely hidden. And the wearer got a truly perfect fit!

headlight

Ideal_Rock
With the knuckle problem, I finally had to have a Lockshank mechanism installed. Let me tell you -- it is FABULOUS! And they didn't have to compromise any of the way my ring's design/shape is (as I was really insistent that none of that be altered in any way). Go to www.lockshank.com to see what I'm talking about. Most of the rings on his site that are shown as examples are more of the 1970s variety, but he installed it on my plat three-stone ring. The cost for plat is pretty hefty, but that is primarily due to the high cost of plat itself -- if it is in gold it is much more reasonable.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
I just read Julian's post -- I wanted to add that for ME, the Lockshank was the answer. There are others on the market. I did try the Surefit one and it was a nightmare for various reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results