shape
carat
color
clarity

about colored stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mara54

Shiny_Rock
Can anyone please tell me about colored diamonds? I have heard they are a very big expense yet what does it mean by Fancy blue enhanced or fancy pink enhanced? Color treated? I love the color of the stones so any information would be helpful. Tky!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/28/2006 7:17:44 PM
Author:mara54

I have heard they are a very big expense yet what does it mean by Fancy blue enhanced or fancy pink enhanced? Color treated?

Yes... color treated. The blue are irradiated and heat treated, the pink... I honestly don't quite know: some light ones are HPHT, some darker pinks - probably something else.

Trying a quick shot at a hairy topic:
38.gif

There are a couple of thread on the 'Colored Stones' forum about treated diamonds, but not too much.

By color, as far as I know...

Blue: synthetics (intense to dark color), and irradiated (bright greenish-blue, not similar to natural blue color, although very, very rare greenish blue naturals exist). The irradiated are relatively inexpensive - with prices comparable to the brown diamond material they were before treatment. Synthetics are priced a bit higher than colorless.

Pink: synthetics (intense and stronger), HPHT (light to intense). HPHT must be only part of the treatment and there should be different types - resulting in light pinks and more recently, vivid reddish colors through a version of the treatment. Both types are more expensive than near colorless diamonds, but nowhere as expensive as natural pink. There are relatively few pink HPHT larger than 1 carat, and to my amazement, I have seen them offered at very high prices (e.g. > 20k/ct for 2 cts 'Bellataire' fancy pink). Huh? No idea if these goods really do sell that high or that was merely a PR 'event'
11.gif

Green... irradiated. Same story as the blue. The colors are not terribly naturalistic, down to deep forest-green and the like. Interestingly, gemological tests have some trouble telling natural greens from synthetics of similar quality. Tests are typically expensive and slow on high clarity green diamonds (sic
9.gif
) under this assumption of ambiguity. However, I am not aware of such natural-looking fancy greens being produced via treatment to begin with. One explanation I have been offered is that the material needed to obtain the light green treated stones would be high grade - colorless or near colorless, high clarity stones that need no help to sell - unlike the brown and tinted ones that are object of color treatments.
On the other hand, irradiation also produces vivid greenish-yellows that do look like their rare natural counterparts.

Yellow, orange & all in between: synthetics (prices comparable to natural fancy light yellow) and irradiated (less expensive, priced as perhaps natural browns would) are available. All have shocking 'intense' or stronger colors - fairly realistic and possible untreated.... once in a blue moon.

There are some interesting reports about treated 'red' diamonds on www.GIA.edu and elsewhere on the net. Worth looking, IMO. Other websites: Chatham, Takara and the 'Colored Stone' forum right here
2.gif

My 2c

-------------------

Whatever the appeal of a... $30k vivid pink of a third or a quarter carat, that surely is lost with a synthetic or treated diamond. At some point, the appeal of either is quite a mystery to me
38.gif

case in point

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results