shape
carat
color
clarity

A 2.0 carat OMC distraction...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/10/2008 1:07:34 PM
Author: dinsky
Panda, what a lovely necklace, I have an OMC, 1.79 M diamond engagement ring that I never wear and am thinking of turning it into a pendant like yours. I would love to see a larger image of yours, I can hardly make out the setting. I have always felt my diamond is special, I can only image the many loving relationships that the diamond represented, enjoy yours.

Let's see if I can upload a larger picture of the vendor's stock photo so you can see the setting better.

Thanks, everyone, for your nice comments. The necklace is arriving tomorrow... WOO-HOO!!! I'll try to get some better pics up then.

pendant03.jpg

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous Panda! can''t wait to see more pics
36.gif

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Wow it''s gorgeous. Can''t wait to see more pictures
30.gif

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Awesome pendant Panda.....can''t wait to see it on you....it is Thursday!!!!

Lori

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hoping to see more pictures very soon Ms. Panda
27.gif
31.gif
9.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
So pretty! What a great find.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holy smokes that thing is gorgeous!!!

LoveDeco

Shiny_Rock
Oh my goooodness! STUNNNNNING!!!!! Thanks to PS I have fallen in love with the chunky faceted antique cuts! I think your necklace is perfect! Wear it in health and happiness! Congrats!!!

by the way- I''m seriously considering a wedding band at Dover Jewelry and am on the verge of purchasing, can you tell me if you''ve had any negative experiences with them- anyone?
Thanks!!!!!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/9/2008 6:43:30 PM
Author: asudesigner

Date: 9/9/2008 6:38:58 PM
Author: panda08

Date: 9/9/2008 6:32:31 PM
Author: asudesigner
I know it is off topic but I just can''t let you smush that panda anymore...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/unsmush-my-avatar.93845/
LOL!!! I''ll have to look on that thread and figure it out when I get home tonight! Thanks
1.gif
The thread is just about me fixing smushed avatars for my fellow pricescopers. I am just suggesting you use the unsmushed one I have provided!
1.gif

I hate my smushed/distorted avatar too...
20.gif
The panda is so cute.... but the pendant is SIMPLY GAWWGEOUS!!!
30.gif
Looking forward to pictures!!!!

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
oh wow....beauuuuuutiful.

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/12/2008 5:05:42 PM
Author: LoveDeco
Oh my goooodness! STUNNNNNING!!!!! Thanks to PS I have fallen in love with the chunky faceted antique cuts! I think your necklace is perfect! Wear it in health and happiness! Congrats!!!

by the way- I''m seriously considering a wedding band at Dover Jewelry and am on the verge of purchasing, can you tell me if you''ve had any negative experiences with them- anyone?
Thanks!!!!!
Thanks, LoveDeco. I created a post in the Jewelry Pieces about Dover. A PS''er who responded to my post said that Dover''s representations were generally accurate though they tend to be overly generous re the color/clarity description.

I had my piece appraised over the weekend. Dover represented that it is J/K color, VS clarity, about 2.0 carats. Even before I had my piece appraised, I had my doubts that it was J/K color as it appears much warmer, more like M color. Anyways, my appraiser concluded that it was more like N/O and was between VS2 and SI1. She also estimated the carat weight to be around 1.8 carats. She said there was a chip on the girdle and scratch on the surface of the stone near the girdle (which I can see without a loupe, though I have to look REALLY close. She also was of the opinion that it was not in its original mounting, as the wear of the stone could not have occurred in the setting it''s in and because she believed that the mounting was not hand-crafted. Despite all of that, she appraised it for more than what I paid, said that the price was good and whether I choose to keep it depends on whether I like the piece regardless.

I have mixed feelings about my experience with Dover. Though I paid a good price, I am somewhat unsettled about how off they were on just about everything about this piece. I can understand being off a color or two, but three to four color grades? About 2.0 carats to 1.8? I had asked whether the warmth of the stone and whether it faced up white and was told that it looks "good" and that they can see some color because they have a trained eye. Okay, I understand that "good" is subjective but the warmth is fairly apparent to me and I''m no expert. I also asked about whether the diamond was in its original mounting and whether there was any damage to the stone. They said yes it was the original mounting, and no, there was no damage to the stone. Though my appraiser said that a lot of antique/estate dealers are not experts, I just have a hard time cutting Dover some slack because that''s the business they''re in. And I guess I want to patronize a business I can trust, not hope that I can just get lucky. I can still return it and am not sure what I''m going to do...

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Despite my last post, here are some pics to enjoy...

pendant04.jpg

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
another...

pendant05.jpg

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
last one...

neckshot01.jpg

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Awwww....Im sorry to hear what happenned,Panda....For what its worth, I think the pendant looks lovely on you! I hope you can resolve whatever needs to be resolved and that your happy!!! Good luck!

IloveAsschers13

Brilliant_Rock
That is my dreaaaaam diamond!!! I love the stone so much and the setting really makes the diamond look pretty!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gosh, I am sorry, I think I would be upset too, hopefully you get it resolved; thank you for posting the helpful info in regards to the vendor too. Hugs!

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I agree - the pendant does look lovely on you! Having said that, a sale should only be a sale IF the customer is happy.

May I also add - the diamond, from the photos that you posted, appear to look more like a Mine cut than an OEC. Did your appraiser notice this also?

Good luck, and I hope that you end up with a resolution that feels right for you!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can sell a bizillion pieces and be spot on with your info but let one bad one get out and there goes the rep. That seems like alot of descrepancies but maybe with the older stones its hard to be right on. However, they are in the business as you pointed out and they need to have a smaller window when it comes to color and clarity. Since they can''t undo the damage to the stone and they certainly can''t make it change color, I guess the only thing they can do is either refund your money or discount it considerably.

I hate to hear that that has happened; we all live in fear of things being misrepresented. Maybe living with it for a day or two will give you some clear perspective as to what to do.

Even at 1.80, it is huge for a pendant. No one will miss seeing that rock! Good luck to you - I''m sorry your parade got rained on!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW. I really love it, it has presence and style. What a great piece, enjoy it!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well it''s gorgeous even though it appraised quite differently from what they said! I think it looks great on you! Maybe they can offer you a partial refund?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh My, it''s gorgeous!!! We definitely need more pics! The proportions look excellent on you by the way!

LoveDeco

Shiny_Rock
Panda- thanks so much for sharing all the details about the stone and the appraisal. Regardless of what you learned, the stone, and the pendant are GORGEOUS! It looks stunning on you!! As long as you didn''t overpay for the piece, if you love it I''d keep it. I love it!

I''m thinking a little more now before jumping on the eternity band I am interested in at Dover. They claim it is G-H. Equivalent bands at local jewelers and even at online retailers are at LEAST double the price. There has to be a reason they sell their pieces for less.

Will keep everyone posted....

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks beautiful on you despite the obvious disappointment in the misrepresentations. It is still a gorgeous stone and it looks like you got a good deal and it looks great on your neck. I do that deal anyday.
36.gif

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock

pendant05.jpg
Date:
9/14/2008 8:25:41 PM
another...
LOL this pic is too cute, and I LOVE your pendant. I hope you keep it because it looks terrific on you!

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone, for your kind comments. In the end, I decided to return the necklace. When I first received it, I noticed the warmth immediately. It kind of bothered me but I wasn''t sure because I loved the look of the OMC. Then, a co-worker who saw it asked if it was a yellow diamond, which added to my discomfort. When the appraisal confirmed the color but said I still got a good deal, I thought about whether I could live with the color. I looked at it over and over again and finally decided that I couldn''t. I just couldn''t justify dropping that kind of cash for something I didn''t love, you know? Even if it was a good deal. Dover was very nice. They offered me a 10% discount but that didn''t make much of a difference in the price to make me want to keep it. They gave me a free return shipping label and immediately refunded my money. They even offer me a 5% discount towards another purchase, though I don''t know if I''d shop with them again. So as much as I love the design and want an antique diamond, this one wasn''t mean to be. Oh well... guess the hunt continues...

panda08

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/19/2008 12:13:06 PM
Author: Love in Bloom

pendant05.jpg
Date:
9/14/2008 8:25:41 PM

another...

LOL this pic is too cute, and I LOVE your pendant. I hope you keep it because it looks terrific on you!

Thanks, Love in Bloom! My FF thought the panda looked like a rap star
3.gif

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Panda, I was looking to see if you have any ring pictures here. I am sorry to hear about the disappointment in your pendant. I would have wanted to return it too. I had a PC 3 stone pendant that I bought at a store just because I had a diamond ring I no longer wore and wanted an upgrade for something I''d wear. It was a 1/2 and they said the diamonds were J/K. It wasn''t bad in certain lighting but in others is was certainly yellow - not just yellowish. They wouldn''t give me a refund on it since it was an upgrade so I finally gave it to my sister. She doesn''t have much jewelry and she is not as picky as I am so she enjoys it. I have just gotten to picky to keep something I don''t really like. Please post pictures of your pretty ring.
9.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, at least they made the return easy. Thought the pendant was very pretty & looked so sizable on you!

Better luck next time on an antique piece. Seems hard to judge those online!

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
GORGEOUS!!!!

Yay Panda!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results