shape
carat
color
clarity

3.17 Gray-Green Three-Stone Reset by Daniel M.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Hey guys, I thought I'd pop by and share Olive's new reset with you. As much as I loved her original solitaire setting with the 18K Rose Gold six-prong head, over time she just became too...simple-looking. My eyes started playing tricks on me and I could have sworn she started shrinking! So I reset her in a three-stone with round white sidestones, but they didn't do anything for her or her gray-green color. The whole ring just blended together without any impact or "ooomph" factor. After much soul-searching and a break from PS, I had some ephiphanies:

1) I am not a solitaire girl.
2) I need COLOR!!
3) When I don't love a piece, it's because I played it safe with the design.

With Dan and Caren's help, the ring I envisioned in my head finally became a reality. They did a fabulous job with Peachy's three-stone reset, so I went back to them for this project. Even though both were inspired by Yssie's gorgeous trellis setting, I've always had a soft spot for a round three-stone with pear sides.

Center Stone: 3.17 SI1 gray-green diamond
Sidestones: pear orangy-red sapphires @ .76 each
Center Basket: 14K Rose Gold (I wanted 18K but Caren advised that 14K is more stable for casting, and there's not much visual difference between the two)
Shank: Platinum

Anyway, enough blah blah. Be prepared for a swarm of pics! And some obscene close-up shots. :devil:

Thanks in advance for looking!! :halo:

317a.jpg

317b.jpg

317c.jpg

317d.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Round 2, when I first received it on Monday. It was overcast that day.

317e.jpg

317f.jpg

317g.jpg

317h.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Round 3. I did my best to capture the fire and dispersion of colors in the diamond but its not easy. ;(

317i.jpg

317j.jpg

317k.jpg

317l.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Last set. Hope you're not sick of me yet!

Thanks again for looking! ::)

317m.jpg

317n.jpg

317o.jpg

317p.jpg

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! Love the red, love the contrast, love the rose gold, seriously love the flowing trellis! Fabulous setting job!

D

Deactivated member 42515

I love the new look!!! The pears and the color of them just do magical things to your center stone! And I am looooving the fluid lines of that trellis! I especially love that super long swoop from the farthest edge of the pear to the middle of your center stone. Wow!!

Jax172

Brilliant_Rock
That is crazy cool! I love his work. Congrats on gorgeous ring!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blimey, Olive is transformed! Love it, especially the rose gold - nice touch :appl:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
PR, Olive is beautiful no matter how you set her. I love the new setting, enjoy!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Wow what an amazing piece! Agreed with the other thread in CS about the description sounding like a color explosion but it works SO well together!!! That olive center is surely special. Enjoy it!! :))

TaterTots

Shiny_Rock
The integrated head really sets this ring off and the color choice makes it perfect. So different and unique. I love the color combination of the stones and metal all together. Gorgeous ring. :appl:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOVE IT!!! :love: :appl: :love: The sun really does make your diamond just explode!! Oh - what an amazing combination of colours and how perfectly they work together! And the trellis work --- YUMMY!! I have a Daniel M 3 stone of 3 pears also with a trellis setting and I love their workmanship!!

The RG is perfect in your setting --- FANTASTIC ring!! enjoy it for years to come!!!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
PWG,

Thank you! I'm so glad you like it, I was worried that the red and green would clash and look more Christmasy, but it actually worked out okay.

Hippi_Pixie,

Thank you! I am attaching Caren's handshot pic for perspective since her hands are much more slender than mine. I'll try to take one of my own soon.

YT,

Thank you, I'm so glad you like it! I have a soft spot for fat pears and my favorite color is red, so I knew I had to take a chance on this one and see how it would work. I love the fluid lines too, I've been enamored with the trellis style since I laid my eyes on Yssie's three-stone. I wasn't sure if it would be possible in two-tone but Dan worked his magic! The super-long swoop was all Dan's idea since he wanted to deviate it a bit from the original design. I love him for that!

Jax,

Thank you! Dan and Caren are amazing to work with. :))

Alex,

Thank you, I agree, Olive has definitely been transformed. I had to find the best ways to enhance the green, and RG, as well as red/pink accents definitely do the job! It's all about contrast if you're not afraid to play with color.

Vickie,

Thank you so much!! :halo:

Pandabee,

Thank you! I'm so glad you share my and LD's feelings about the ring. I knew the style would have a risk of clashing (perhaps border on gaudy lol) but it works somehow. For me anyway, but I expected to be in the minority. But when I look at this ring, it truly makes my heart sing. :love:

Tatertots,

Thank you, I'm so glad you like it! Hehe well I can say my taste is unique, and I love color in my jewelry. I always try to find ways to set a stone in a way that makes it stand out, as well as enhance its color. So I play with different metal combinations to see what would work. I believe the setting should allow the center stone to shine, and cater to its needs but challenge it as well so that it's unique.

Enerchi,

Thank you so much, your enthusiasm is contagious, I love it!! The intense yellow-green fluoro in the stone is the reason why it comes alive in the sun. The colors range from forest green, olive, champagne, gray, teal and apple, depending the lighting, angle and background. This is what I love about colored diamonds. They have so much personality! I love the trellis work as well, my eyes are drawn to the wavy lines and fluid curves. Do you have a thread on your three-stone? I'd love to see it!

317q__2_.jpg

317r.jpg

317s.jpg

317t.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
TL|1360431818|3376138 said:
PR, Olive is beautiful no matter how you set her. I love the new setting, enjoy!

TL!! It's been ages, how have you been?? Any new projects lately? I was so excited to see that you replied. :bigsmile: Awww, thank you so much for the kind words about Olive. I can say the same about her cousin Sybil. She looks gorgeous in any setting! Are you still enjoying her? I love the new setting too, Dan did an amazing job. Olive has found her forever home. :razz:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is gorgeous! It looks so good on your hand!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
periwinklegirl said:
Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! Love the red, love the contrast, love the rose gold, seriously love the flowing trellis! Fabulous setting job!
Exactly what I was going to say! Love!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
platinumrock|1360443523|3376260 said:
TL|1360431818|3376138 said:

TL!! It's been ages, how have you been?? Any new projects lately? I was so excited to see that you replied. :bigsmile: Awww, thank you so much for the kind words about Olive. I can say the same about her cousin Sybil. She looks gorgeous in any setting! Are you still enjoying her? I love the new setting too, Dan did an amazing job. Olive has found her forever home. :razz:

PR,
No projects, and I don't post much here anymore, but it's sure nice to see you back. Enjoy your gorgeous new ring. That diamond is something else.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Enerchi,

Thanks for the link! I left a comment about your beauties. :))

Laila,

Awww, you are sweet, thank you! I'm glad you like it! But I wish I had Caren's slender fingers. lol

Rosebloom,

Thank you so much for the kind words! :wavey:

TL,

Awww, sorry to hear that you don't post much anymore. PS just isn't the same without you but I'm glad to see you pop by! I had to take a break from PS to regain perspective...became too obsessed with wanting to set every stone I have. lol I don't use Facebook anymore but my email address is still the same if you want to catch up. Thanks again, I am truly happy with this ring!

Wait, what?? No projects?? :-o *feels your forehead*

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, that's... brilliant. That's how you do that trellis two-tone - you give the centerstone its own basket and leave everything else the other colour. Brilliant! :appl:

It turned out beautifully platinum!! Dan and Caren did really nice work on this one :bigsmile:

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unique and beautiful. Nice vision, great execution!

Natylad

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I fell in love with Olive from the very first time i saw her...She is a beautiful diamond, unique and full of personality...When i saw her on her previous, solitaire, setting, i thought that it was perfect for her. So, when i opened this thread and i realized that she had been put in a new home, i thought: noooo.... :D But then, i saw the new setting and it blew my mind away :o :love: :cheeky: :appl:
I love the trellis, i love love love the pear side stones and their vivid color, i love the finger coverage, the combination of colors and in general, i totally love the new ring :appl: :appl: :appl: It looks amazing on this handshot that you posted...Perfect on your hand :appl:
Very successful reset of Olive :appl:

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Loving it! It's a beautiful combination of stone and metal colors! Nailed it! :love:

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Yssie, thank you! I'm glad you think it turned out beautifully since it was your three-stone trellis that inspired the design. I wanted the center diamond to be the star of the show, I figured the rose gold would help showcase its color. I agree, Dan and Caren pulled this one off nicely, as it could have veered off-course under the hands of an unskilled benchman.

NKOTB, thank you!

Naty, awwww thank you so much for the kind words about Olive and for remembering her in her original setting! I remember you saying the ring looked like it came out of a fairy tale and it's appropriate for a princess, which made me smile. :razz: I really did love the original solitaire setting, but this three-stone just lets her shine. I've actually gotten the most compliments on this reset, even from men! lol I'm so glad you like the reset, I was nervous about going through with it, but it worked out in the end. I think I made the right decision! :appl:

Snickle, thank you so much! It's very reassuring to hear that. :))

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I think your ring is smashing!!! Love the color combo of both the stones & the setting :love: :love: :love: What a beautiful fluid setting! Very cool and regal looking ring :lickout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results