shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW 2.42 OEC reset journey - solitaire to Joe Escobar halo!

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
As some of you may remember, I acquired a new OEC early last summer - 2.42ct M VS2 (GIA) - from the lovely Adam at OWD. At the time I had no idea what I wanted in a 'forever' setting, if such a thing exists, so I had my stone set into a temp solitaire until I could figure out what I and the stone needed. I was in no rush to reset as I wanted to get it completely perfect and nothing I'd ever seen was screaming my name, so I waited patiently thinking that eventually something would come along and tug at my heart strings.

Fast forward a few months, and I was beginning to get really bored with my solitaire. Eventually I realized that I'm just not a solitaire type of gal (I think they are gorgeous and classic, but I personally need a bit more going on on my finger!) and that I should start gathering inspiration for a reset. I was starting to stress because nothing was inspiring me and I definitely wanted to get it right, and I didn't want to settle for something just because of the silly feelings I was having about the solitaire.

Fast forward a bit more, and eureka! I found a photo of a gorgeous halo setting that Joe Escobar Diamonds had created. I didn't like all elements of the ring but I liked the overall shape, and I pretty much knew right away that this would be my inspiration (which is super bizarre because I'd always been anti-halo prior to this). It created a vision in my head that was somehow everything I had been looking for without even knowing I was looking for it, if that makes any sense at all. Best of all, it reminded me of the shape of my original engagement ring, which I thought was so awesome and romantic and yadda yadda yadda.

I'm lucky in that Joe Escobar is local to me (score!), so off I went to see if I could see this ring IRL. I arrived and learned that it had already sold, so I wasn't able to see if I liked IRL what I liked on my computer screen. I had been counting on seeing the inspiration piece before deciding what to do, and that was no longer possible. After a few days of thinking, I decided what the hell, I loved the inspiration so much that I wanted to move forward with a custom creation. I got a quote, was happy with it, and off we went. Erik handled my PSer tendencies with poise and grace through a few different versions of sketches, two hand carved wax models, a full cut vs. single cut debate, a finished piece that didn't work out, the decision to remake, yet another wax, and then, finally, a finished piece. I know I wasn't the easiest customer on the planet (what PSer is?! :lol: ), but Erik and the folks at Joe Escobar were gracious and helpful throughout the entire process.

That's basically the novel of my reset journey, which ended well and I'm happy to say that I love my new ring! Congrats if you read the whole thing!

The ring is platinum, size 4.25, with single cut melee. I'll start with a pic of my old solitaire:

img_3847.jpg

img_3855.jpg

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
I put the ring in one of my crystal tumblers, and thought the effect was kind of cool.

img_3869.jpg

img_3871.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh WOW! I love that setting! Your ring is gorgeous!!! I'm adding it to my list of favorite rings!

AnnaH

Brilliant_Rock
A MA ZING! Love the oec in the antique setting with the single stones.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your new setting, it's gorgeous!!! :love:

Rika

Rough_Rock
Holy cow, that new setting is FANTASTIC!!!!!! Love it! Love it! :love: :love: :love: :love:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats, really beautiful stone, ring and I love the under-gallery!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning!!! :love: :love: :love: That is a gorgeous setting for your beautiful OEC. And it looks so beautiful on your hand! Wear in health and happiness. :appl:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Yummyyyyyy love the gentle swoops of the halo and that amazing milgrain!!!! What a perfect forever setting for your lovely diamond!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! That is just stunning! And great coverage on your tiny hands. *love*

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
:appl: :appl: :appl: :love: :love: :love: :appl: :appl: :appl:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
It is absolutely stunning! Your OEC is one of my favorites on PS and now your setting is too!!! :love: :love: :love:

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
That is just STUNNING. Am a huge sucker for a halo and that is so special. The basket is gorgeous too. Just to die for.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
tyty333 - Wow, that's a huge compliment, thank you!!

yennyfire - Thanks! It's a completely different look from the solitaire, isn't it?

arkieb1 - The gallery is one of my very favorite things. It took a couple of tries in the beginning to get right, but it turned out fab! Thank you!

pandabee - I love the swoopy curves, too!

Asscherhalo_lover - Haha, I'm having a hard time NOT staring at it! Thanks!

FrekeChild - I so appreciate you being a sounding/idea board for this. Also, thanks for holding my hand the whole way. Hah!

armywife13 - Thanks so much, friend!

misskittycat - I appreciate the kind words, thanks!

purplesparklies - Thank you! I wanted it to be different/unique, but not *too* crazy different, and I think I achieved what I was going for.

AnnaH, Catmom, Rika, missy, sweetpea, ecf8503, LLC, Redwoods-hiker-girl, ming, SparklyOEC - Thank you all so much for the kind words. I was wondering if I was going to be the only one who liked it, lol!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Wow. Wow. I love so many things about your ring! I especially love the unique shape of the halo and that the halo isn't overbearing and still allows your gorgeous stone to shine. I also adore the basket and how the prong placement makes it look more like a cushion than a round stone. It's absolutely gorgeous! Great job! :appl:

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Lil Misfit|1393897109|3626903 said:
Wow. Wow. I love so many things about your ring! I especially love the unique shape of the halo and that the halo isn't overbearing and still allows your gorgeous stone to shine. I also adore the basket and how the prong placement makes it look more like a cushion than a round stone. It's absolutely gorgeous! Great job! :appl:

Thank you so much! :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results