shape
carat
color
clarity

1972 Cartier Black Opal

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not have the right tools to take proper pictures but I don't anticipate getting a camera that would so here are pics from my Samsung phone (no macro setting unfortunately). I think they will be too blurry though so if they do come out terribly I am just going to ask that the thread be deleted. I cannot tell till I post them (I am that technologically challenged) and if you knew how long it took me to do just this you would be shocked. :oops:

cartieropal.jpg

cartieropal2.jpg

cartieropal7.jpg

cartieropal8.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More pics

cartieropal6.jpg

cartieropal9.jpg

cartieropal10.jpg

cartieropal15.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More pics
Description: Oval Black Opal and Diamond Ring
Black opal 5.91 carats
Diamonds 1.04 carats

That's all the info I have on it right now. The black opal is from the mines in Lightning Ridge in Australia.
My dad purchased the ring from Cartier in 1972 as a gift for my mom. A few years ago she gave it to me and I had it resized for my finger at Cartier.

I was looking all over for the original certificate but cannot locate it so far. I am sure it is somewhere but unable to find it for now.

The photos totally do not represent the beauty that is this ring. But I wanted to share it anyway. Sorry this is the best I can do :((
The ring looks so washed out in all the photos. IRL it is a firey vibrant jewel that changes colors constantly.
ETA my dh took the last photo which while not truly capturing the ring's beauty is the best photo of the bunch.

Thanks for looking.

cartieropal18.jpg

cartieropal26.jpg

Black Opal Oct 2011(2).jpg

moosemom

Shiny_Rock
That is a beautiful ring. How nice to have such a stunning heirloom passed down to you. May you enjoy it for many years!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

This ring is marvellous! Cherish it!

cheers--Sharon

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is fabulous!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
That is a stunning ring :love: And a wonderful family heirloom. Wear it in good health, Missy!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, I love opals! It is gorgeous! I love all of the fiery color and the setting is a pure classic! Thanks for sharing it!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you ladies. I love this ring and am sorry I cannot do it justice in my mobile phone photos but if I ever get a real camera (or borrow one) I will add to this thread.

mitsui4

Brilliant_Rock
How i wish I can inherit such beautiful heirloom!! Congrats on the big opal~!! It is gorgeous and look nothing but PERFECT on you!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you centralsquare, diamondseeker, mitsu and jeweln!
I am embarrassed to have posted such crappy pics when I get to enjoy all the gorgeous eyecandy of my fellow PSers...and I thank you for overlooking that fact. ::)

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love black opals and the Lightening Ridge are so beautiful. You can still get stones that were mined there. I think they are the best of the best. What a lovely ring, and how great that it was passed down from your mom! It's gorgeous!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you luv! My dad is a very romantic man and he took a lot of pleasure in buying my mom beautiful jewelry. In fact he went overboard a few times much to my mom's chagrin as she hates spending money on herself. I remember in the late 70's he bought her a gorgeous canary diamond that she made him return. :o I just don't know how we're related LOL. I don't think I would ever turn down beautiful jewelry from my dh! But my dad showed her...he bought her a boat that year and named it after her :bigsmile:

I am very lucky that my mom was generous enough to give this ring to me as she knows how much I love this piece. I was constantly drooling over it so I guess she saw through my subtlety :cheeky:

stci

Ideal_Rock
Fantastic! Wow!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1317768598|3033310 said:
Thank you luv! My dad is a very romantic man and he took a lot of pleasure in buying my mom beautiful jewelry. In fact he went overboard a few times much to my mom's chagrin as she hates spending money on herself. I remember in the late 70's he bought her a gorgeous canary diamond that she made him return. :o I just don't know how we're related LOL. I don't think I would ever turn down beautiful jewelry from my dh! But my dad showed her...he bought her a boat that year and named it after her :bigsmile:

I am very lucky that my mom was generous enough to give this ring to me as she knows how much I love this piece. I was constantly drooling over it so I guess she saw through my subtlety :cheeky:

Missy, how sweet that is! Makes you wish exact cloning was possible. My DH is generous, but not THAT generous! We need more husbands who delight in buying their wives gorgeous jewelry. I think I will tell my hubby, 'future generations are depending on you!'

I have a friend whose dad was just like yours and he bought his wife amazing diamonds, and the funny part is, she couldn't have cared less! She is now 92 and cares even less. I think all the diamonds might be a really great inheritance for my friend now though! Such a sweet story about your family!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Very lovely. And Cartier to boot! :love:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is beautiful and the colors are just gorgeous!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, missy, what a beautiful and sweet gift! That ring is stunning - and the stone looks lovely!

Your DH took a really good pic, too - I have the devil of a time photographing opal, my pics are nowhere near as clear :sun:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Stci, Rosetta and tyty!

Luv, I know! I wish all men were like that. My dh is very generous though so I cannot complain at all. He never denies me anything but our resources are different than my parents. My parents were/are not rich by any means but solid middle class but growing up we had everything we ever needed/wanted. My mom was a stay at home mom and didn't go to work till my younger sister left for college. We had a lovely home,vacations, gifts and other luxuries and all in all we never felt money was an issue holding us back from anything.

Today, my dh and I earn much more than my dad ever did but it is more difficult to live the same way as we did when we were children because times are different. Money is worth less and you need way more of it to live as you did in the past if you know what I mean. So, while my parents were never rich my dad could go out and buy my mom beautiful jewelry but there is no way my dh could go into Cartier and purchase something like that today for me without our finances really suffering though I know he would in an instant if we could afford it!

Thank you Yssie. As soon as things get less hectic for him at work (when will that be I have no idea but that is another story- he never even told him of the cancer surgery he just had! ::) ) I will see if I can coax him to take some more pics. Maybe we can try to capture a bit more of the firey colors this opal throws off. I have to say the photos just do not come close to the amazing rich colors of this opal. My dad never had PS when he and my mom got this ring but he knew beauty when he saw it. Her ER is so beautiful also. They didn't get her ER till they were married for a year though because when they got married they had no money as my dad had just started working. See, that is a perfect example. Could anyone here imagine just starting earning money and a year later having enough for a beautiful diamond ER over 3 carats? No way. Times are so different now.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Missy

I just wanted to pop in and say your story re the ring is as beautiful as the ring itself!!! :love: :love: :love:
I have moved from Scotland to Perth, Australia and I am constantly seeing beautiful opals, but none that matches yours. It truly is one of a kind and Cartier to boot. I wish you great happiness and health to wear it. :wavey:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's times like this I wish we could post videos to Pricescope. I would love to see a video where you move the ring and we can see all that beautiful colorplay! Congratulations and take care of it!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you susimoo and partgypsy! :wavey:
I have always wanted to visit Australia susimoo. It must be such a beautiful place to live!

Maybe when we are on vacation in another week I can get my dh to take more pics by the sea...I am not sure about video though (as in we do not have a video camera) but that is a good idea! :Up_to_something:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
missy said:
Thank you susimoo and partgypsy! :wavey:
I have always wanted to visit Australia susimoo. It must be such a beautiful place to live!

Maybe when we are on vacation in another week I can get my dh to take more pics by the sea...I am not sure about video though (as in we do not have a video camera) but that is a good idea! :Up_to_something:
I'd love to see pics by the sea ;-)

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG OMG OMG. HYPERVENTILATING. That is one of my dream rings!!!! I'm literally breathless!!! You are SO lucky. Opal is my birthstone and I've always adored this stone. It looks so elegant on your hand. Please, post more pics when you get a chance! Thanks so much for sharing this beauty with us. I'm in such a happy place right now! :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results