shape
carat
color
clarity

18th century love ring--I''m retroengaged!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been married for 3 1/2 years now, but my husband never gave me an engagement ring before we were married. He''s very sweet and romantic, but he hates diamonds, and almost nobody we know wears an engagement ring. (Don''t pity me too much, though--my mom gave me my grandmother''s art deco diamond engagement ring, and my other grandmother gave me her engagement ring diamond as a graduation present.)

My husband recently told me that he regretted not having given me an engagement ring. Well, a couple of weeks ago we were at an antiques show and he spotted this ring from the 1790s. It has a pair of lovebirds painted on a slip of ivory under crystal; it was originally a lover''s gift to his lady.

Yesterday my husband knelt and asked me, "Will you have married me?"

Naturally, I said yes.

birdring1.jpg

ello

Brilliant_Rock
Wow - that''s so romantic and sweet!
30.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
With my other rings:

Ring finger, my wedding ring & paternal grandmother''s 1.65 ct L SI2 OEC, reset in a setting from Antiqueengagementrings.com.
Middle finger, maternal grandmother''s wedding ring & 1.4 ct F VS1 transition cut in its original 1929 setting.
And, of course, my new engagement ring.

Sorry, Mara & other pet-peevers, I know I''m not supposed to mix platinum and yellow gold, but they didn''t use platinum back then. I''ll be wearing the gold ring on my right hand, if that helps.

birdringetc1.jpg

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glitterata! It''s so beautiful....and how neat it must be to wear a piece of long-ago history on your hand! Imagine the lady that wore it back in 1790, in hoop skirts and buoffant hair! I love your hubby''s sentiment behind his retro-proposal on bended knee! What a sweetie. :)

Wear it in good health!
Kristy

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, m'am!
5.gif

Please count some very enthusiastic, heartfelt compliments from my part. I am not sure what to say
10.gif
I wish I were there at the show one step ahead of you guys!
9.gif

I now this motif from pins and sometimes necklaces of neoclassical style inspired by Roman decoration, but rings with such detailed images are not common at all. Even so, a century younger micro mosaic pieces are definitely allot more likely than what you have!
38.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the kind words.

Ana, I was counting on you to appreciate it! When we spotted it, I swear, I looked around to see if you were nearby--even though I believe you''re in Romania, and I have no idea what you look like. But it happens to fit my great big size 6 3/4 paw, and you have tiny, dainty hands, so it was clearly meant for ME. Or maybe for Elizabeth Bennet, as a gift from Fitzwilliam Darcy.

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
Before I opened this thread, I was suddenly hit with a "I wonder what happened to the girl who wanted to be an LIW"
I remembered reading it and wondering what the ring looked like!
Funny enough, when I opened "show me the ring" folder, I clicked on the first thread.. and it was yours!

Anyways... all to say that it is very beautiful, as are your grandmothers rings!! :)
(even if he doesn''t like diamonds.. you still have veeeeeery nice diamonds to show for it :) hehe)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
glitter i love your rings, they are all so beautiful, this new one is lovely!! i love vintage pieces....congrats!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
So romantic!! And it suits the spirit of your inherited rings too!!!

I dunno if I''m more impressed with the ring or that you can get your Sweetie to go to jewelry Antique shows!
31.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
what a sweet gesture by your hubby. I love it and the meaning behind it..

kittycatsmac

Shiny_Rock
That was soooooooooo sweet of your hubby!!!
face6.gif
and the ring is beautiful...

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s so fabulous! I love all your rings and vintage pieces - they make my heart flutter! It must be such a neat feeling to wear something that old - and wonder what the life of the wearer was like back then...it''s a rare jewel, and wonderful to boot!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! I love my new ring, and I REALLY love my husband.

If anybody''s curious about what the original recipient might have worn, here are some examples of dresses of 1790-1800

I wish I knew who she was and who gave her the ring.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2006 5:21:49 PM
Author: glitterata
Thank you! I love my new ring, and I REALLY love my husband.

If anybody''s curious about what the original recipient might have worn, here are some examples of dresses of 1790-1800

I wish I knew who she was and who gave her the ring.

those dresses are awesome. there are times I wish I lived back then and wore beautiful dresses all the time. But then I remember they didn''t have plumming, paved roads, cars, or the internet and I''m glad i''m around now
9.gif

stretch4

Ideal_Rock
Oh, what a wonderful "proposal!!" And the ring is stunning, I truly love it.
30.gif

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
That''s so romantic and so sweet!! I really love your ring
30.gif
and I also love imagining who would have worn that ring ''back in the day.''

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow! I love all the detail on the shank of the ring and that image is awfully sweet congrats, it is wonderful!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
what a romantic story! congratulations.

movie zombie

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, incredible rings.

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
All of your rings are so beautiful but this new addition- it gives me goosebumps, it''s so unique and precious. How nice that it called to both of you- just like an e-ring should. I spend a lot of time at antique shows and I don''t think I''ve ever seen something as special as your new ring. Wear it in wonderful health & with great happiness and pride!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI G:

You have some of the most thoughtful and beautiful pieces I''ve seen. Your ring was worth the "wait".

cheers--Sharon

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Shortest stay on the LIW list winner right here perhaps? I have no idea really but congrats! That is so romantic and the sentiment behind the ring is just amazing! I absolutely love your diamond rings as well! Espeically the one from your maternal grandma! GORGEOUS!

stermag

Shiny_Rock
glitterata, I''m not in the habit of ooh''ing and ahh''ing, but I positively love your ring.

I would be so honored if, some hundreds of years from now, when I''m long gone, my ring caught someone''s eye the way this one caught yours.

I am sure you will enjoy it. It''s beautiful.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glitterata,
When I first opened the post, I had to stop and stare at the gorgeous ring for a few minutes before I could tear my eyes away and read the rest of the posts. Not only is the ring and its design beautiful, the story behind it, the times and the sentiment with which it was given is very touching and romantic. Congratulations!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2006 12:52:49 PM
Author: glitterata

Ana, ... I swear, I looked around to see if you were nearby--even though I believe you''re in Romania, and I have no idea what you look like. But it happens to fit my great big size 6 3/4 paw, and you have tiny, dainty hands, so it was clearly meant for ME. Or maybe for Elizabeth Bennet, as a gift from Fitzwilliam Darcy.

Thanks for the thought
5.gif

You are very right that the ring would not be nearly as much ''at home'' on my hand and don''t think I would have considered replacing the shank to fit me. It would be nice in a box to look at, but so much better being worn
10.gif
Good for you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results