shape
carat
color
clarity

1820''s Old Mine Cut Heirloom ring - N color!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
My husband''s great-great-great grandmother''s ring, and my original engagement ring...

Old Mine Cut
Center, .5ct N color
Crescent moon of graduating OMC side stones

warmoldstone.JPG

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Love the handmade ring...looks like someone sculpted it...reminds me of Gaudi from the side...

handmadeprongs.JPG

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
another...

sinkshot.JPG

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Wow Wallermama you just keep posting more lovely pieces! That ring is so different and sweet, you have a great collection!

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Looks pretty darn white in diffused light...can''t believe it is an N!

whiten.JPG

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
1820''s wow, wow, wow, it''s just precious..

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Looks more like what you think an N should look like here...

itsncolor.JPG

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Matatora and Mrssalvo! I''ve wanted to post shots of those for people to see, because I think it is interesting to see an N and a K etc, but didn''t have a camera until...today! Sorry if I seem to be hogging SMTR today....
40.gif
40.gif
40.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a treasure that is. Love it!!!

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Is that the original setting? What is the story behind the cresent moon?

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a neat collection you have! Love the threads! Keep snapping those pics.
1.gif

This 1820s ring is so fascinating. It reminds me of a sun and a moon together. I love it! And I love seeing how the Ks and Ns look in different lighting conditions. Just fabulous!!!

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

If you can''t tell, I LOVE it!!!
2.gif

Gorgeous all around...Stone, Setting, everything! I think I adore all your jewelry, but maybe this one the best!

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
It reminds me of the moon and stars - like a promise to give you the moon and stars.
How cool is that! Very unique and sweet. I love family heirlooms.

Scintillating...

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
As far as I know, the setting is original. It was part of a brooch, ring and pendant set. All three pieces made it down the family tree to my husband''s grandmother, who gave each of her three daughters a piece (my MIL got the ring). Unfortunately, his aunts lost the other pieces...both were stolen at various times.
8.gif

His grandmother gave the ring to her eldest (my MIL) who gave it to my husband (her firstborn) after we had become engaged ringless. I''m one of those impatient LIW who went ahead and proposed to him
2.gif
. I wore it for a year before the thin shank snapped, had it repaired, snapped again a year later, so the bottom half of the shank had to be replaced. The I lost a side stone, and the jeweler who found a replacement told me that this was made to be a cocktail ring, not an ering, and that it wouldn''t stand everyday abuse. So back in the ring box it went.
5.gif

The ring has lots of history...at one point it was pawned so that my husbands great grandmother could put her son through college. She then worked a night job to earn the money to buy it back.

Thanks for all of your kind comments! What a great bunch.

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
As for the crescent shape...it does remind me of a moon and stars...It is my favorite part of the ring. Our appraiser said that it was a common jewelry theme back then...someone asked me once if it was a Masonic ring, but I think it was just a pretty little thing with no particular symbolism!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love that center stone!

movie zombie

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s amazing! A thing of art and beauty. I love looking at heirloom pieces and the gorgeous craftmanship they often exhibit. Lucky you to have a treasure like that!

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, everyone! It is neat to own a D, a K, and an N. I love the colorless look in an asscher, but I do think I prefer a warmer color in a RB. The N wouldn't be my pick for a platinum setting, but in its gold setting I think the color actually adds to the ring. It makes you feel like you are looking into a sunset...how the light at dusk is golden?

The K shows me how much color RB's hide, since I guessed that maybe it was a G. That said, I think the fact that it is bezel set hides it's color...I've never even seen the pavillion! It's hard to see the color otherwise.

All of the colors of diamonds are beautiful, I think!

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Love the story behind the ring. I''m a sucker for a good story.
2.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I love the design of that ring! What a beautiful and special piece it is. You are a lucky girl to have such a treasure!!!

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/2/2006 3:42:53 PM
Author: FireGoddess
What a neat collection you have! Love the threads! Keep snapping those pics.
1.gif

This 1820s ring is so fascinating. It reminds me of a sun and a moon together. I love it! And I love seeing how the Ks and Ns look in different lighting conditions. Just fabulous!!!
FG I''ve been trying to think of the title of a song since I saw your post. I remember it from when I was in ''Annie Get Your Gun!'' and it says ''I got the sun in the morning and the moon at night''. Anyone know the title? Is that the title? This is driving me nuts.
32.gif
Didn''t mean to hijack the thread. It just keeps running through my head each time I see the ring.
2.gif

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
"I''ve got no diamond, I''ve got no pearl,
Still I think I''m a lucky girl...
I''ve got the sun in the morning, and the moon at night!"

Perfect, Moonriver!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Wallermama...I absolutely LOVE that ring!!! It''s such a treasue. Great story and family lore behind it, too!

''I''ve got no diamond, I''ve got no pearl,
Still I think I''m a lucky girl...
I''ve got the sun in the morning, and the moon at night!''
I love that song! But I don''t think it applies to too many people here on PS!
9.gif

widget

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
wallermama, you are full of good stories!

That ring is amazing.
When I saw N color, I clicked right away to see it. I just love heirloom rings in those colors.

beautiful!
It''s nice that the ring made its'' way to someone who really appreciates it.

orange_horse_fiance

Rough_Rock
Oh I am suck a huge sucker for the antique pieces. This is a great one, the stone, the setting!!! I love the history that you have behind it too. I hope the future generations to come understand and know the history too!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Oh, how lovely!

What part of the world did the original wearer live in?

sanfranciscoellen

Brilliant_Rock
An after-the-fact edit...

When we had our recent Bay Area Get Together, we went to the to-die-for estate jewelry store, Darren McClung''s, and he told me this stone/ring was Old European Cut (not an OMC), and the ring was circa 1880. Apparently we made the wrong guestimate on how long it takes for a great-great-great grandmother to pass something down...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results