shape
carat
color
clarity

15 pt VS or 20 pt SI - IDJ Eternity question

Mrs_J

Rough_Rock
I originally posted this in Rocky Talk, but didn't get much of a response. Maybe it was in the wrong section?

Hi all! First time poster here! So after much back and forth, my SO and I have decided to purchase a shared prong eternity band from IDJ as my engagement ring (I am so excited about both the pending engagement and the ring that I almost can't stand it!) Anyhow, I'm really leaning towards the 20pt stones, even though I don't necessarily think I'll prefer this size to the 15pt stones on my hand AT FIRST. Basically, I'm worried I'll regret not going bigger later, especially since I have no intention of ever upgrading this particular ring (I'm sentimental like that :) Plus I ADORE this size on other's hands; I just think it would take some getting used to the sparkles on my own (I've never worn anything that sparkly before!) HOWEVER, I would much rather have slightly smaller stones if it meant no visible inclusions, because seeing spots in my ring would drive me batty (I'm a little OCD :)). So my question is this: should I go for the 15pt VS quality stones or with IDJ's standard "pricescope quality" melee in 20 pointers? The price difference between these two options is very slight after accounting for the removal of one stone for sizing purposes. I suppose I could always go with the 20pt VS, but I wouldn't want SO to spend the money if the consensus is that it's not worth it (I'm still waiting to hear what the price would be on this version. Poor Luann has been very busy with me! :)) Any opinion/advice on this would be most welcome!!!

Also, does ANYBODY know the approximate height of the 20pt closed basket shared prong eternity from IDJ if it is set as low as possible (a la DandiAndi, Yennyfire, or ArmyWives (sp?)) I've been assured that the 15pt would be less than 2.5mm, and I'm hoping that the 20pt wouldn't be very much deeper (taller?) Does anyone know?

Thank you guys in advance for any help/guidance/support/pics you can offer!!! I have spent WAY too much time on this site over the past 8 or 9 months, but I absolutely LOVE IT!!!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Mrs J! I just measured my eternity, and the height is about 2.8mm, fairly crude measurement as I only have a ruler, but it's definitely less than 3mm. I tried on IDJs 15 pointer eternity, and I could really see the difference between that and the 20 pointer. My diamonds are the PS quality ones, and they're stunning - lots of arrows and no visible inclusions, they know I'm finicky! That said, finicky or not, if you are assured eye clean stones, that's what you should receive.

Congratulations on your upcoming engagement! You have beautiful taste! If I were to do it all over again I'd have an eternity ring for an e-ring too. Gorgeous.

:appl:

Mrs_J

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much, Dandi! This is exactly what I needed to hear.

On a side note, your ring has been a huge inspiration to me, and one of the main reasons I want the 20 pointers. I plan on wearing mine with a thin gold band as well :) I think the combination is stunningly beautiful.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I went with .19 points. In the low profile. I found the higher profile not comfortable (to me) and I tried it on in .15 pointers. I recommend trying a couple on if you can.

Im having a hard time posting pictures but it's on page three of this thread.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/share-your-new-holiday-baubles.209272/page-4']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/share-your-new-holiday-baubles.209272/page-4[/URL]

Or on Graces's site I bought it from her...

http://www.jewelsbygrace.com/sold/sold-jewelry/3-25tcw-round-brilliant-cut-diamond-eternity-band.html#.VMRaEX48KK0

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Mrs J
Congratulations on your upcomming engagement!
May I ask you what your expectations of eye clean are?
I have 2 pieces of jewellery from IDJ one with 25 pointers and the other with 20 pointers. Both items have pricescope quality stones. Holding the items 4-6 inches from my naked eye I see no inclusions, in one of the 25 pointers I can see inclusions with 10x magnification and in all th other stones I can see cristals and small smudges at 20x magnification. I can live with this, but if the thought that there are inclusions somewhere in the stones, with or without magnification is going to be a problem for you, get the higher clarity.

Good luck and please post pics when you get it!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with the 20 pointers in the VS clarity. There have been some disappointed PSers re the SI clarity from IDJ so I would be safe and stick with the VS clarity. And get the 20 pointers because you will see the difference. Good luck and congrats on your engagement!

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Mrs. J! How exciting! What is your ring size? Here's a link to my eternity from ERD w/ 25 pointers. I'm very happy with the larger size, I sometimes wear it on my wedding ring finger stacked w/ my plain 1.7mm platinum wedding band and love the look. My shared prong from ERD is super low and comfy, you may want to get a quote from Mark as well. His pricing was extremely good and the diamonds he hand selected are gorgeous. I can see arrows in all of them, they are VS2-SI1 (totally eye clean), G-H color.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-updated-erd-eternity-band-3-75-ctw.192988/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-updated-erd-eternity-band-3-75-ctw.192988/[/URL]

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely choose the VS stones. That way you won't have any regrets. I would also request excellent cut stones and not just PS quality. I would want it spelled out specifically. I have only tried on a 15 point eternity band from Tiffany, and because of the thickness (and theirs are about the lowest set I have seen), I would go for a 5 stone band over an eternity if I wanted larger stones than that. But I will add that I like the look of Mayk's 19 pointers, so I would honestly have to try one on like that before making a custom order than cannot be returned.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Asscher's ring is fabulous. Regardless what you get IDJ and ERD are both fantastic and you would be great with both. I prefer an eternity band....So I would go with the 20 pointers as an eternity band

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results