shape
carat
color
clarity

1.22/I/IF/Select Ideal East-West Oval 14K WG Engagement Ring

mensagrrl1

Rough_Rock
Rosebloom suggested that I make this into its own thread after posting to SMTB. This is my e-ring, specs above. My finace wanted to make sure that my engagement ring would be exactly what I wanted and something I would love for the rest of my life, so we made all decisions/designs together.

Since my promise ring before my e-ring consisted of an oval emerald, I knew I wanted to stick with an oval. We purchased the stone online from Union Diamond and once we settled on our design, we had them make the ring for us as well. We had a great experience overall with this merchant.

I was looking for an oval solitaire ring without prongs. It had to be simple, understated, elegant and unique. All we mostly found on US websites was the standard overpriced 6-prong solitaire. So we looked for a ring on non-USA jewelers' websites because I wanted something different. After looking at Canadian, Mexican, Brazilian, Australian, Israeli, French, Irish, Far Eastern and UK jewelers, I finally found a ring on one of the European sites that I liked a lot, but it still wasn't right. The ring used white metal and had a semi-bezel floating setting, but it was too industrial looking. By this point we had looked for so many months that we just ended up using that ring for inspiration. We drew up a softer looking version by making it slightly narrower and half-round; we added a European shank and bands on either side of the setting, and the under-gallery is bowed-in to maximize the light coming into the stone. Because the diamond has very slight (I) color, we decided to go with 14K WG because the creamier white would better match any color displayed by the stone. By setting the oval east-west instead of perpendicular to the ring, it plays a nice trick on the eye by making the stone look much bigger than it actually is.

As much as I love my ring, it's just a ring. The real treasure is the man who gave it to me, and I'm lucky to have him. After 5 years together, I'm excited to be moving into the next stage with him.

Thank you for looking, I'd love to hear your questions, comments and feedback!

027_0.jpg 028_1.jpg
031_closeup.jpg 030_closeup.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: 1.22/I/IF/Select Ideal East-West Oval 14K WG Engagement

the east-west orientation of the oval is absolutely gorgeous on your finger! congrats.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Not always a huge oval lover but that ring looks gorgeous! Very classy and elegant - you made a beautiful choice!

Congrats and enjoy - I really do like it!!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gorgeous and I love how unique the setting is! The diamond looks HUGE like that too!

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow, I'm loving that E-W orientation! It's beautiful, and covers up almost all your finger real estate!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful! :love: I love the E-W setting as well!

TXJewel

Rough_Rock

I love ovals and your setting is perfect for your stone.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

You are a woman in love!! That is so wonderful that its about the man, not the ring - yippee for the two of you!!! Congrats and wishes for a very long life together filled with love and happiness!

So --- about that little trinket you are sporting.... GORGEOUS!! I love your hard won setting - the E/W is so creative and the setting is perfect for your diamond! :love: :love: :love: :love: Fantastic!!! Love the fire shots too :sun:

CDCsparkles

Shiny_Rock

love the e/w setting of your oval!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock

This is a gorgeous setting for your oval!!! So glad that you haven't lost sight of the most important part, the man behind the ring :) glad your ring searching journey has come to an end and you are moving on to the next chapter of your life after 5 years!! congratulations!!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Just amazing! Stunning!!!!!

cheers--Sharon

Polished

Brilliant_Rock

The setting really compliments the diamond. I'd love to see pics of a wedding band with this ring in time. Congratulations on your engagement.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

Thank you so much for this post! I truly love your ring. Congrats on your engagement!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

1 Gorgeous diamond
+
1 Gorgeous setting
=
WOW gorgeous ring on your hand!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock

Very beautiful, well done!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What a piece of art!!!! I'm totally in love with your ring!!!!! :love: You guys did an amazing job. :appl: Are you worried about the diamond getting damages with so much exposed?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful on all counts! Congratulations!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very cool! I love the nice clean lines and the amount of stone you can see!

mensagrrl1

Rough_Rock

No, Motown... I knew I wanted the stone to have the maximum exposure to light, and so I asked a ton of questions to my jeweler and he assured me it would be safe and secure in this setting. If you picture it, a traditional prong setting has even less metal holding and protecting the stone than this does! Additionally, I requested that it be as low profile as possible (the opposite of a Tiffany cathedral setting) to help with that. It also helps that I don't play sports and my job isn't dangerous for the ring.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful and unique!

Congratulations!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock

love, love, love the E/W setting....that stone and ring are amazing!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results