shape
carat
color
clarity

Where To Go Now With My Lemon Central Air

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
I am having an aweful time.

In mid June, we fired up what appeared to be a 20+ yr old C/A system and it would not perform. We decided to replace the whole kit and kaboodle with an American Standard 2.5 ton 14 SEER system with new ductwork and all the trimmings. Total cost = $7,500.

Anyway, within two weeks, the system crapped out. They came out, unfroze the line, recharged and sent us on our way. Four days later, same thing. Two days after that, same thing. Week after that, same thing. Finally, the owner of the company (probably sick of giving refridgerant away for free) called American Standard to find a part was faulty in some systems.

He replaced the part...and finally A/C for almost three weeks....when this weekend....yep...no cold air. This time, he believes the compressor has now gone! Probably from the line freezing up so many times...to much for it to handle. Anyway, apparently they are replacing the outside unit.

The guy has been good about coming out the same day and doing what he could to help us out. His communications skills suck...as he sometimes does not get back to us for a few hours...but he does get to us eventually the same day. American Standard was ranked #1 by Consumer Reports...Trane A/C is the same thing...just under that brand.

We have been patient...never went off the deep end (maybe a little annoyed sounding, but never nasty). If this replacement does not occur soon (he says by tomorrow), what do I do? Do I ask them to remove the system and refund money? Do I ask for some perk (money back for the problem? - Lets face it, I bought something and am not getting to enjoy it!). Do I threaten with legal action?

How would you play this situation...it really sucks?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
this is a new unit and the compressor is gone in three weeks time?! ok, i''m not ms mechanical, but we just replaced our 1989 AC compressor because it died. we''ve replaced it with another 3 ton unit [outside, like yours] and our AC man says we''ll never have to do anything but clean the filter once every two months.

personally, i think its too soon to start using legal action but it certainly is time to look at your warranty on the unit and insist that it be replaced with something that works. now that''s going to take time and $$$ on the part of your AC pro which he may not want to do but he should be looking to the manufacturer to make good his time and labor as well as the unit.

read your warranty paperwork on the unit before you get too mad to be reasonable. let him know you appreciate everything he has done but enough is enough. tell him you''re still under warranty and that since there was already a faulty part, there may be more wrong with this unit. get him to order another and send this one back. if this is indeed a brand new unit, you shouldn''t have to settle for a lemon....or something he has to keep piecing together. also, you may have to call the manufacturer yourself. it is possible there is a customer service number and if you call and talk with them, explain the situation, you may get more satisfaction.

good luck!

movie zombie

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tell him to replace it with a goodman unit and be done with it or get a refund and find a dealer to put a goodman brand unit in.

goodman is the contractor brand name of a company that makes the high end units for several other companies the only difference is the name and the price they are kicken units.

If its freezing up it also might be a bad a-coil but they should have figured it out if that was the case when they recharged it.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all the advice.

Today they brought a portable A/C for our bedroom. That does help. This occurred after I called and basically flipped on the guy via his voice mail. My wife came home and she basically snapped. I guess I ended up sending it down stream.

They claim they will have a new outside unit for us in "a day or two." Hopefully this will fix the deal and it can be over with. If not, I told him in a more calm discussion later that we would really need to discuss other options. As I said, they guy and his workers are great...we just got probably a 1 in 100 clunker.

We''ll se how this plays out, but I''m ready to explore all options if he does not work with us the way I want to.

Strm - wish I had asked here about the brand before I bought. I would have looked for that name.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck and let us know how it goes. With the heat we are having this summer, I feel for you and your wife. You spent a lot of money and should not be the proud owner of a clunker. Trying to infuse some humor here.

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Thats ok! I have handled this remarkably. I tried to be patient...but when wifey was having a Lucifer style fit at me...I couldn''t help but open the can of Whoop Butt on the guy. She broke...but I would have given him another day or to and see if the outside unit came in and how fast he put it in. As he said, he can''t make a unit come out of thin air...and they don''t keep a stock because he is a 6 man company.

I think it will work out...the mobile unit in our bedroom will allow for a good night''s sleep at least!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh, your wife and i may be related!!!!

i can be cranky as it is but w/o AC during 110 weather or more with the interior of the house at 101 plus, well, let''s just say it ain''t pretty!!!

got hubby to handle it all because as i said to him, ''as grumpy as i''m being with you, do you really want me dealing with the guy who''s supposed to make it all ok?". hubby got the point and while he''s used to me handling these types of things, agreed it was best in this scenario for him to be the point person in getting the issue resolved. however, i did write the check and personally delivered it along with a thank you to the AC man.

movie zombie

wonka27

Brilliant_Rock
Just an update for those who read and/or posted...

I am now once again sitting in an Air Conditioned home! It took 9 days from breakage to repair. Personally, I''m not happy with that time, considering I was a suffering customer with a lemon, but it is done. Hopefully we have no more problems...

Thanks for the help and comments!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay, glad it''s taken care of. Here''s hoping you will be problem free!!
1.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
we broke down on a saturday and it was the following saturday before it was fixed.....and we didn''t have a lemon.

glad its done with and the AC is flowing! personally, i think its a good think your wife brokedown and let you have it.....put that fire under you that got the fire lit under the repairman. otherwise, it could have been more than 9 days! you should thank her!
face6.gif

movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results