shape
carat
color
clarity

what to wear?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I need a little advice here. My DH just informed me last night that we are going downtown next weekend (Chicago, we live in the suburbs) and he will be wearing a suit and tie to dinner Saturday night. The restaurant is Tavern on Rush, which I am not familiar with but I did look at their website and it seems jackets are appropriate for men and cocktail/semi-formal attire is appropriate for ladies. Why on earth do men wait til the last minute to inform us of these things? I have a gorgeous little black dress I purchased last spring, but it just doesn''t have that "hot" factor I feel I want to wear for him! So I have a few questions for all you fashionistas out there, even though I have a BS degree in fashion merchandising! LOL!

question 1. do I stick with the little black dress even though I don''t feel outrageously hot in it?

question 2. do I purchase something online (I''m in love with a couple of dresses from anthropologie.com--they do have an overnight shipping option) BTW, does anyone know how their sizes run?

question 3. does anyone have any suggestions as far as cute/sexy things you have seen online that might work for an evening in downtown Chicago in December? Lord it''s hard to dress up in 30 degree weather, even with a nice long coat!

S.O.S.! Please advise!
face21.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m too practical about stuff like this to go out and buy a whole new dress just for one event...esp if you have something that works already. when you say it doesn''t have the hot factor, what do you mean? little black dress is usually pretty darn cute? hot? can you spice it up with jewelry or an updo or really high black heels? something fun? fishnets? sometimes with a conservative dress those can really do the trick.
31.gif

we have a black tie event next week and i just borrow dresses from my girlfriend who has alot of fancy stuff...i am really not into buying stuff like that anyway since we rarely go to these types of things. that reminds me i better get a dress from her this week!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blast...if only I had friends who wore the same size (except one, but she recently gave birth and doesn''t have any up-to-date, fun dresses). I agree with your practical side, Mara, but I am guilty of hating to wear something more than once or twice if I don''t have to. My husband works in an industry where there are a lot of dress up occasions, and also we have been to a lot of weddings this past year, so I am SO tired of everything I have, plus I live right outside Chicago and there is the seasonality issue to deal with. Boo! IMO, my black dress is a little too conservative, and fishnets would look a bit silly with it...it''s a Jones New York black crepe sheath with a double deep v-neck (sleeveless), beaded on the v''s, knee-length. I always wear 3+" Chinese Laundry satin criss cross ankle strap open toed heels with it, or any other black dress for that matter (enough detail for you
emwink.gif
).

I checked out shopbop.com, but they were too expensive. Mara, have you had any experience with anthropologie? As far as sizing/fit? They offer a lot of cute dresses, but they are all from different vendors and who knows how they run, which is why I''ve never ordered anything from them or gone into their store. Now I''m tempted, due to the amount of mouth-watering dresses I saw online.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Tavern on Rush is usually a very dimmly lit restaurant. They have candles & twinkle lights. Why not dress up your black dress with a bright colored wrap, put your hair up & add some sparkley jewelry? Realistically you will be sitting most of the evening and it is dim in the restaurant so the focus will be on your face anyway.

Also, you could wear some "hot" lingerie and promise him a peak later. Probably just thinking about your naughty lingerie will make him forget that maybe your dress isn''t as "hot" as you would have liked.

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
I live in So. Cal., so I have no idea on what would be appropriate to wear in Chicago. I''m not practical either and love to buy cute clothes, so I say go for the HOT number that you found on the website
31.gif
If you don''t like it when it shows up, you can return it! Can you show us pictures of the outfit you found that you''re thinking about buying?

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
As somone who lives in Chicago and been to Tavern, I agree with Island Dreams. Why not get a really cute or dressy wrap? Perhaps even accent it with a great broach?
You can do tons with a black dress. How about bringing in some color with red shoes and a red wrap? Or Gold/Silver shoes with matching accessories. A dressy wrap/caplet can change up the look as well as great jewlery. Good Luck!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have too much experience with Anthropologie..but I know people who love their stuff. It''s just not me really in terms of taste...but they do have some cute stuff sometimes!! I am totally unsure about their sizing though.

What about JCrew? Do you have a local store? They usually have some cutie dressy things that aren''t too black tie but still fun.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, here are some of the things I like from anthropologie. I still don''t know how to do multiple attachments on one reply, so bear with me.

53305_frt.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought this dress was fun, a little different from basic black.

53700_frt.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then there''s this dress, which is a chocolate brown...I love browns, can you tell?

530046_frt.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, what else is in the virtual closet? I love this lace cardigan, but I don''t have anything to wear with it.

51715_pob_frt.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Then there''s this dress, which is black but a less traditional style.

530076_frt.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
with some of these funky cropped pants and really cute shoes?

52527_frt.jpg

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
While I like all the things you posted, I think the first dress is the only one fancy enough for a cocktail dress atire.

I would wear the Jones New York dress (love their dresses BTW) and dress it up.

Here''s a few things I found on Nordstrom''s web site:

Echo sequin nylon mesh sash: http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product.asp?styleid=2882106&category=2376779~2376805~2376807~2384812&PrevStyleID=2869814&NextStyleID=2881468

Helen Welsh Organza Wrap: http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product.asp?styleid=2878875&category=2376779~2376805~2376807~2384812&PrevStyleID=2885040&NextStyleID=2878874

Echo pretty peacock silk scarf: http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product.asp?styleid=2874230&category=2376779~2376805~2376807~2384812&PrevStyleID=2874776&NextStyleID=2875088

Nine West Crystal Crinkle sash: http://store.nordstrom.com/product/product.asp?styleid=2872116&category=2376779~2376805~2376807~2384812&PrevStyleID=2870300&NextStyleID=2874933

If you go under "handbags & accessories" and click "special occassion accessories" there is a lot of jewelry that would look awesome with a little black dress. Can you make the treck to Oak Brook Mall and see some of those things in person?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooooh, this is cute, Pebbles. . I''m about to do an online order and am going to get this! lol

About the Anthropologie items. . I don''t think it''s a good idea ordering online for an event so near in the future. If the dress (or whatever) you buy doesn''t fit, then you''re under even more pressure to rush to the mall in order to find something. Since you''ve never ordered from there, it''s impossible for you to gauge sizing and all that so you''re risking a stressful situation.

I just came back from, where else, but the mall, lol
9.gif
and noticed all kinds of velvets and beautiful lacy camisoles everywhere. Why not just hit one of the finer department stores nearby and try on a few things???

. . . regardless of what you decide. . .DO NOT wear the dress that doesn''t make you feel outrageously hot! Find something, anything else!

crinklesash.jpg

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
i was just on the nordstrom''s site and they have a TON of cute dresses on sale...and right now shipping is free for purchases over $100. These were my faves from the sale rack. I think the foirst and third dresses on the top row are HOT!

black112.jpg

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2005 4:05:31 PM
Author: Mara
I don''t have too much experience with Anthropologie..but I know people who love their stuff. It''s just not me really in terms of taste...but they do have some cute stuff sometimes!! I am totally unsure about their sizing though.
I''m unsure about Anthropologie, too. My husband''s cousin just got a job there and now she can get me 40% off all of their clothes. I''m debating about whether or not to check out their clothing because I''d have to drive into downtown and I''m kind of lazy about dealing with parking and all that.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, if the weather is anything like it was today, I wouldn''t be caught dead with my legs not covered!!! I''d spend the entire dinner trying to warm up
3.gif
But honestly, the last time I was at Tavern on Rush for dinner with my bf, I wore black pants with this cute jacket and a sparkly top underneath...the time before that with friends I just wore dark jeans with a cute top....I did not feel out of place at all. I don''t believe they have a real dress code, I''ve seen the entire range there. Have fun, I hope you enjoy it!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh michelle, anthropologie DOES have AG jeans, so if she can get you 40% off those, score!!

i love that first black nordstrom dress, now THAT''s HOT!
9.gif
and it looks like it would work for various body types too!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/5/2005 9:32:40 PM
Author: Mara
oh michelle, anthropologie DOES have AG jeans, so if she can get you 40% off those, score!!
NO WAY!!! OMG!!!
36.gif
Thanks. I had no idea. I spent over an hour the other day trying to find something on the web site I liked enough to make it worth driving DT, but didn't see anything. . . but now I have a great reason!
9.gif

Actually, I just ordered a pair AG's from Nordstrom online this afternoon and this was to be my first pair of this brand! These jeans do fit me good, but I never purchased before and today when I decided to finally get a pair, t.b.d. was all sold out (due to Oprah's raving) except for one pair of size 26 jeans that someone had purchased, altered, and then returned so I ordered from the site!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for the input! I went to Von Maur after work tonight and tried on some dresses, but wow, is it cold up here and Blue you''re probably right about freezing to death without my legs covered. Why can''t sidewalks here be covered???? We went to Minneapolis last winter for a Vikings game/fun weekend and all the buildings were connected with heated walkways...it was great! And we''ve been to Vegas when it was like 35 degrees (unusual) and all the entrances had giant space heaters set up so you didn''t freeze waiting for a cab. Chicago needs to get it together already!

Pebbles, I really love the ideas you posted, the sashes are adorable. I am going to Oakbrook Center after work tomorrow...they have Anthropologie, J.Crew, Neiman''s, everything, so hopefully I can find something there and not mess with ordering online since I am a little late in the game for that. I would totally wear jeans and a cute top, but my husband wants to wear a suit for some reason, so I think I would look a little silly on his arm dressed in jeans. We only live 13 miles outside the city, but we maybe make it down there once every few months, therefore we like to dress up and make it a big deal, you know?

Ok, I''ll keep you updated on my shopping quest (not that anyone cares, but this is kind of fun).
face16.gif
Sniff, thank goodness for Pricescope shoppers!

gingerBcookie

Brilliant_Rock
i ended up buying that first black dress...with free shipping and free returns at the store, i couldn''t resist! this shopping forum is bad bad bad. i start looking and shopping for other ppl and end up buying for myself !
38.gif

9.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, gingerbcookie, you have gotten me in a lot of trouble here.
face5.gif
LOL. I went on the nordstrom site and found the blue Laundry dress, did a live chat and found it in Escondido, CA in my size...then I did a search and found it on ebay for a starting bid of $49! (It''s $122 at nordstrom, but there is only one and as stated above would have to be shipped from Ca). Question: I''ve never bid on ebay before, and I may have made a huge mistake, considering that there are 5 days left of bidding on that item. Does that mean I have to wait 5 days to find out if I won the auction, or can the seller just decide to sell it to me? I bid $55. I didn''t realize when I bid (even though I checked the little box, which I didn''t read, oops) that you have to buy it no matter what if you are the highest bidder. Hmm. I could be in a pickle here, I think.

P.S. I do love that little black dress you purchased, ginger! Sorry we''re such bad influences on each other!!!
emteeth.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha we are all such bad influences on each other in more ways than one! diamonds...clothes...HANDBAGS!!
31.gif

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/5/2005 11:36:33 PM
Author: monarch64
Question: I''ve never bid on ebay before, and I may have made a huge mistake, considering that there are 5 days left of bidding on that item. Does that mean I have to wait 5 days to find out if I won the auction, or can the seller just decide to sell it to me? I bid $55. I didn''t realize when I bid (even though I checked the little box, which I didn''t read, oops) that you have to buy it no matter what if you are the highest bidder. Hmm. I could be in a pickle here, I think.
Yeah, unfortunately you have to wait until the auction ends to find out if you''ve won or not. The only instant transactions on Ebay are the ones with a "buy it now" option. Hopefully someone will outbid you
3.gif
then you don''t have to worry about it! Just get yourself to the mall and find something cute to wear! (and then show us
1.gif
)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
darn it! Leave it to my impulsive buying habits to mess up! Oh well, even if I end up paying $100 I will wear it someday, hopefully. Should''ve consulted hubby or PS first! I will definitely show you the end result, rest assured!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/6/2005 12:26:32 AM
Author: monarch64
darn it! Leave it to my impulsive buying habits to mess up! Oh well, even if I end up paying $100 I will wear it someday, hopefully. Should''ve consulted hubby or PS first! I will definitely show you the end result, rest assured!
If you get the win the dress and don''t end up wearing it, you can always resell it on eBay. I sell all kinds on there. It''s really easy and almost addicting as bidding
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results