shape
carat
color
clarity

We Need a New Sofa, please help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well about 5 years ago we bought a sofa for our family and 2 sofas for our living room. Fastward to now, the one in the family stayed nice and the others lost their firmness (the cushions are getting flat). I don't want to make the same mistake of buying bad sofas again since they were expensive. Any suggestions on a good brand, well made sofa that will last more than 5 years??? We are considering LaZBoy, Ethan Allen and thomasville but any feedback is appreciated; thank you!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
thomasville would be my pick of those 3.

Lazyboy has gone down hill and we never had any luck with Ethan Allen at my parents house but that was a long time ago.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
we got ours 4 years ago from Macys and it''s held up very well considering portia practically lives on it hehe. it was one of those chaise lounge on each end with a loveseat in the middle microsuede ones in a dark taupe. we still love it, it''s very comfy, stays pretty clean (wipe down with water and towel) and cushions still have a lot of life in them. and we watch a lot of TV so it''s not like we don''t use it. and it''s great for naps. we''ve had great luck with macy''s furniture in the past as well. our new leather chair is from them as well.

other than that, we used to have a breuners here that had great furniture. i know that a lot of people really like thomasville as well. i''d also check out C&B but they can be really pricey for what seems like okay quality, and same with PB. i''d try to go to a large dept store like a macys or a straight furniture store to see what deals and quality can be had.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have Storehouse?? We bought our''s from there for the family room, it''s so comfy.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2008 6:28:19 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Do you have Storehouse?? We bought our''s from there for the family room, it''s so comfy.
Oh no, we don''t have a Storehouse, thanks for the suggestion though.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Skippy: if the outside of your sofa still looks ok you can just have it re-filled.That is if you like your sofa.
We had our last one custom made ,so we choose the firmness and everything else.It costs a bit more but its worth it.Its over 5 years old and holding up fine.I have problems with most sofas ( my back ) and need it quite firm to start with.So custom was the best way for us.You may want to look into it..

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara, I saw your sofa; it looks very nice and I like the chaise lounge on the ends! We do have a Macy's so I will go check them out. thanks!!

Storm, thanks! We do have a Thomasville bedroom set and love it so I will check out the sofas too!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2008 8:43:21 PM
Author: scarleta
Skippy: if the outside of your sofa still looks ok you can just have it re-filled.That is if you like your sofa.
We had our last one custom made ,so we choose the firmness and everything else.It costs a bit more but its worth it.Its over 5 years old and holding up fine.I have problems with most sofas ( my back ) and need it quite firm to start with.So custom was the best way for us.You may want to look into it..
Wow, I didn''t know they did that; sounds like a good idea to me. Hubby on the other hand wants some new leather reclining ones. Is it expensive? Thanks dear and how are you doing?

Gemma12

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t help with locations but I can recommend custom made (although ours are not reclining) and YAY for leather-we have had ours for 6 years now and they look like new. We got a type of leather that has a patina on it and literally you just have to wipe it with a dustcloth. Oh, and most spills ''bead'' on it and if we get to them quickly don''t stain. It is not ''soft'' leather though if that is what you are after.

Yay for new sofas! Lucky you Skip!

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/8/2008 6:24:20 PM
Author: Mara
we got ours 4 years ago from Macys and it''s held up very well considering portia practically lives on it hehe. it was one of those chaise lounge on each end with a loveseat in the middle microsuede ones in a dark taupe. we still love it, it''s very comfy, stays pretty clean (wipe down with water and towel) and cushions still have a lot of life in them. and we watch a lot of TV so it''s not like we don''t use it. and it''s great for naps. we''ve had great luck with macy''s furniture in the past as well. our new leather chair is from them as well.

other than that, we used to have a breuners here that had great furniture. i know that a lot of people really like thomasville as well. i''d also check out C&B but they can be really pricey for what seems like okay quality, and same with PB. i''d try to go to a large dept store like a macys or a straight furniture store to see what deals and quality can be had.
This sounds just like my couch! But, I only have the chaise on one side. I got mine from Macy''s about 4 years ago too. It''s a comfy couch and it''s still holding up great. I''ve bought my last 3 couch''s from Macy''s....i''m going back about 20 yrs, so I guess my average couch life is 8 yrs.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
You should check out Flexsteel. They are supposed to be really great... and a steel frame (with a lifetime warranty!) so it will definitely hold up!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second the vote for Flexsteel frame sofas. My parents have had several, two of which made their ways into my apartments in my twenties...they really do last forever.

LaZBoy...I''m on the fence with them. DH chose a sectional with a recliner on one end and a chaise on the other end for his basement couch about a year ago. He hangs out on it a lot more than I do and hasn''t really noticed the wear and tear that I see. I go down to watch movies with him on the big screen or to do laundry periodically and I have noticed that it hasn''t held up that well in just a year''s time. The upholstery itself (a neutral gold/khaki color, kind of a velour-ish material) already looks like it''s ten years old, and it''s not as cushy as it was when he first got it. It''s great for basement furniture but if it were in my living room I''d be pretty upset that it already looked so worn only a year later.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
"Wow, I didn''t know they did that; sounds like a good idea to me. Hubby on the other hand wants some new leather reclining ones. Is it expensive? Thanks dear and how are you doing?"

Skippy yes you can have it re-filled , but only if the material outside is in very good condition and only if you really like the sofa , otherwise its not worth doing it.As for the cost it depends what you want to fill it with, how much etc.I can''t remember how much we paid in the past , but it was worth it.Any reputable furniture builder can give you an idea or refer you to someone who does it.
Thanks Skippy I am coping.Still searching for some answers ,that I may never find.It surely has not been easy ,but I am doing best I can.
Have been sharing my time , volunteering and I find it enjoyable.( don''t have much time for lurking here any longer) Thanks for asking Skip...You always remember...Very kind of you..
I hope you find really nice sofa.It should last more than 5 years..Wishing you lots of luck..

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Hey, Skippy! My mom got an Ethan Allen sofa that I love for her formal living room. However, it was so expensive that nobody feels like they can really use it much (which is okay considering that room doesn't get used often). I love it, but could never do that expensive of a piece with a dog and a 3 year old. I would most def. consider leather if you think you will have kids in the near future as fabric sofas can get really messy with a little one.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2008 1:35:53 AM
Author: oobiecoo
You should check out Flexsteel. They are supposed to be really great... and a steel frame (with a lifetime warranty!) so it will definitely hold up!
Yep, I was going to recommend them. I bought ours and with 3 boys, they''ve held up really well as far as the structure goes. The cushions have also held up, but I do rotate and turn them. Any cushion (like a mattress) will get permanently smooshed if not turned.

The only thing that''s worn out is the fabric, in spots, and I knew it would happen. The choices I had to cover were thinner than your average couch, and these got a LOT of abuse. So I''m not complaining, I knew it was inevitable.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Skippy, I''m in with the stay away from Lazy Boy camp. We bought a very expensive leather recliner sofa and loveseat. Since we paid so much we bought the supposed extended warantee. Ha, is all I have to say about that! We had them just over a year when a spring came loose and poked holes in the seat. It took months to get them to finally come out and fix that. Then the leather split on the side of the seats. Another 3 months went by before we could get them to even come out and look at it. Well bottom line is that they were never really fixed right, we still have holes and we will never, ever buy furniture like that from them again.
38.gif

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
How much do you want to spend? When it comes to furniture shopping, one can shop in two different ways - for value or for quality. Sometimes they are interchangeable, but this is not always the case. Warning: stay away from the case good manufacturers! I'll start with some of the names already mentioned.

Storehouse was great, but they went out of business in 2006.

Thomasville/Ethan Allen/Drexel-Heritage: All of these are where value meets quality - if you shop their higher end offerings. It's definitely a you get what you pay for type deal. Of the three, I prefer Drexel-Heritage's, Heritage line. They offer some great pieces. I'm just not sure if you want to pay $3000.00 for a sofa.

La-Z-Boy: I think you have to be kind of careful when you shop La-Z-Boy, I'm more inclined to purchase from their Clayton Marcus line. It seems to be furniture of a better quality. Also, it just seems like their offerings are kind of bland.

Have you heard of Z Gallerie before? They have some of the most understated and elegant looking pieces that don't really cost a great deal. The prices start at about $1200 or so. Not the best, but it's well constructed for the price that you're paying.

Another good option would be Norwalk. I like the Candice Olson and Joe Ruggiero designed offerings. If you've ever read Home Magazine or watched Divine Design, then chances are you've seen Norwalk Furniture. I think they have some pretty competitive prices and I would probably have to put it on the level of Ethan Allen.

Now, if you want a sofa then you simply can't get any better than Baker. But I will say that you'll pay dearly for it. The same thing can be said for Henrendon. Unless you're getting a custom sofa (or through trade) then Baker and Henrendon are simply the best you can get.

Ralph Lauren also has some great things, but it's only available to the trade (i.e. design professionals, I miss my job!).

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
If your sofa is only 5 years old it should still be covered by a warranty most sofas I know of have a 10 year warranty. If it is just the cushions getting flat I would personally just replace them it is a much cheaper cost effective option (this should be covered as well in your warranty) the foams are not that expensive and you can get them cut to fit.

If you want a leather recliner make sure to get one that is has barrel dyed leather - the colour goes all the way through and is not just had the colour sprayed on top and is top grain leather and finally that it is leather on all parts not just on the place you sit. Some leather sofa''s are actually vinyl on the sides or split leather and is prone to being damaged easier. Make sure the warranty on the reclining action is good because it will most likely be the first thing to wear out.

GL with your purchase Skippy :).

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you All for your information; I am really taking to heart each of your experiences and thoughts.
12.gif
This really has been a helpful thread for me.

I think we will check out Thomasville, Ethan Allen, and Macy's. After reading your reviews on Lazboy, I think we will stay away. Has anyone bought a natuzzi sofa? http://www.natuzzi.com/ I think we will take our time finding a good sofa since this was a costly mistake $4k.
14.gif
Thanks again! I also will look into seeing if someone can stuff them and look into the warrenty (I think it is just for the frame) but I am guessing that won't work for these sofas (lots of little pillows).

snogirl17

Shiny_Rock
Hi Skippy,

We looked at getting a Natuzzi couch because the leather is like butter and it had a great policy. However it was a bit out of our price range and to get the color we wanted it would have taken i think they said 2-3 months for it to come in because it is made in Italy and then it is shipped over. I guess. who knows but thats what we were told.
We ended up getting a Palliser sectional http://www.palliser.com/ we have only had it a bit over a year but it is holding up great, and with 3 dogs and a cat it has too! The have both contemporary and traditional designs. Plus it was a bit more affordable than the Natuzzi.

snogirl17

Shiny_Rock
I forgot to add that what is nice about the Palliser furniture as you can build your sectional or couch by pieces. There is a room builder that will help you on the website. I believe ours is the Cato style but with the rounded piece at the end like the Juno. We really do love this couch.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I have a Flexsteel sofa with a microfiber fabic that feels like suede. I got it in 1996 and it still looks great. It has survived multiple cats and my son who was born in 1997 (--lived through the sticky finger jumping on the sofa stage.) The cushions are just now starting to look a bit flat so I''ll probably have them restuffed in the next year or so. I got the fabric treated when I ordered the sofa and liquids still just bead off. I had a friend who was an interior designer moonlighting at a furniture shop when I bought it and she insisted that THIS WAS THE ONE TO GET because it would hold up. Looks like she was right.

One of the most important tips she gave me was to get the sofa in a neutral color because it will last so long that you''ll change color schemes a few times. Mine is a warm tan/beige color and has lived through numerous redocorating colors. She was right on that too because even after 10 years I''m not sick of my sofa.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have a Natuzzi, but they are considered one of the best when it comes to leather sofas. Personally, I think they sit too low and for me that''s a deal breaker when it comes to a sofa. Also, they have about a 12 week lead time - at least.

It seems to me that this is something you plan to invest in so I would probably look at a Baker sofa. When we moved, I''m pretty positive that I''m going to either Baker, Drexel-Heritage, or Norwalk.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i think that norwalk has been around a good while and has a good reputation.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/8/2008 8:42:03 PM
Author: Skippy123
Date: 2/8/2008 6:28:19 PM

Author: Kaleigh

Oh no, we don''t have a Storehouse, thanks for the suggestion though.

Storehouse went out of business two years ago. Our sofa is from there, and though it is VERY comfy, the quality just isn''t there, which surprised me because they bought out Rowe, which was VERY good. Within a year, the fabric had pulled a hole in the back of the sofa, and I''ve seen this repeatedly with sofas on craigslist "it''s from storehouse, there''s a tear in the back corner..." so I think it was a design issue, not some random fluke. Our cushions flattened and the back cushions are no longer holding shape. I wish they were still in business so I could complain. It''s almost 5 years old, but it should not look this bad.

crystalheart1

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Skippy

We have a Natuzzi leather sofa. Ours is about 1.5 years old and is holding up very well. My son lived on it while he was home last year. He is a College QB so he is tall/big . He would sit , eat, and nap long hours at night. The cushions are still like new. He even sits with his foot bearing down on the cushion
38.gif
and it bounces right back up.
The leather is espresso brown and has a rich sheen to it. It is a beautiful set on the contemporary side...It is also my second Natuzzi. I have a fawn color chair to match in a suede like fabric and it is beautiful....like new... the prices were not bad at all.

Furniture shopping is stressful but the end result is so much fun...
36.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Your new Henredon is fabulous Sharon! I love the clean elegant lines.

Skippy I echo the others who recommended Flexsteel. They make great stuff. You can't go wrong with Thomasville either. I've never owned Natuzzi but I love the look! We are purchasing a second home down in a warmer part of the state so I will be purchasing furniture myself again soon.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you Ellen, Storm, Mara, Sundial, Sharon, Lisa, Scarleta, Gemma, Marvel, SDL, Oobiecoo, Monarch, Steph, Ellen, Catmom (Michelle), Deelight, Penn, Beanie, IslandDreams, Crown, Crystalheart and Sumbride!!!! I will look at all those suggetsions, we have a store called American Home that carries a lot of the Flexsteel and a few other brands you mentioned, along w/ Thomasville, E. Allen and Macy''s. Thanks a million, you all are the best!!!
1.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Skippy my mom and I bought a new sofa for her TV room about a year ago. We went to Ethan Allen, La-Z-Boy, all of the American stores (American Furniture, American Home, etc). We ended up getting brown leather from American Home(?) it's at San Mateo and Lomas, as well as a recliner from there. They've both held up well and they get used and abused a lot, but so far have hardly shown any kind of wear.

I also went shopping for sofas with my BF's sister, we went everywhere, Furniture Row (where she ended up purchasing from SofaMart), TEMA, Nob Hill Furniture, pretty much anywhere we thought we might find a black leather set. The really cool thing is that we ended up spending a lot of time with this guy at TEMA and he taught us how to find a really well made couch, and he said the best way to quickly figure it out is to check to see if the back is cushioned or doesn't have any stuffing in it and just has the material stretched out over the back. We spent about an hour with him, while he went over how to pick out a decent quality leather, how to figure out if the frame is well made, etc. I think his name is David, but I didn't see him there the last time we went. Anyway, some of these sales people are very well trained and I think it's worth it to try to learn more about the couch before you buy one. Even if it's not the style you're looking for, it might be worth it to stop by and ask a few questions about quality couches since they are usually pretty slow compared to the other furniture stores.

Honestly, I'd stay away from Thomasville unless you find something you really love there. BF and I went there when he was looking for a chaise (got it at TEMA) and they treated us like CR4P! We were totally scrubbed out, and I'm sure we looked like we couldn't afford anything, but still. So much is about customer service, you know?

ETA: Also, La-Z-Boy failed the stuffing in the back of the couch test in everything that we looked at.
32.gif

And ASHLEY furniture was a ZOO when we went, and I wasn't particularly interested in anything especially because we had a salesperson following us around the ENTIRE time, even though we told her we were just looking. Ugh. Another pet peeve of mine.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results