shape
carat
color
clarity

Washing machine/Dryer purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Has anyone bought a new washing machine and dryer? My old ones are in need of replacement and want to hear what you all have bought and why!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
LG front load washer and dryer bought almost one year ago. love them.

front load is the only way to go. easy to get clothes in and out, less wear and tear on the clothing, and i think they are better re water usage but i''m not totally sure on that.

i especially love my washer as it has a timer and i can just load it up, set the time, walk off and have it be ready when i want.

good luck. there''s lots of product out there.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Yep - husband and I bought a house in December and we went with the Whirlpool Duet washer and dryer.

The washer: High-effiency so it uses less water.
I use the recommended *high energy* detergent (most brands have this -- cheer, tide, etc.) - so gentler on the clothes.
Energy-star rated, so if your community does rebates for that sort of thing, you''re entitled.
Also, being a front loader, gentler on clothes as there is no agitator.
Gentler on the operator, too.....easier to load/unload IF you get the riser drawers to raise them up to non-bendable level.
Ultra capacity.....I can wash five HUGE towels plus nearly a weeks worth of "unmentionables" for two of us in one load. Fits comforters/quilts with no problem.
Really fairly quiet, too....and fully programmable with delay start, etc.

The Dryer: Also high-efficiency.
It''s the only dryer I''ve ever owned that actually TRAPPED the cat-hair that can accumulate on clothes.....really gets the lint out too.
Again, many programmable features.

I''ve been totally happy since we bought them - they were also among the highest rated on Consumer Reports (found out after we bought them, but not surprising given the results we''re seeing).

A hint on the washer.....there are a few "levels" of models that look the same. One was $999; the other $1299. The difference was RPMs; one had something like 1050 spins per minute.....the other had 1250 or 1300 RPMs, which affects how much water is extracted from the clothes and subsequent drying time. Being that we wash adult clothes that can be heavy, we opted for the higher RPM model.

The real tell: My *husband*....who sometimes doesn''t notice the most OBVIOUS things....actually commented that the clothes feel cleaner. He said this out of the blue one day about 2 weeks after we got them. That did it for me. LOL
9.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I am a big fan of front loaders in general for their high effiecency and gentleness on clothing, but I would NOT recommend the Maytag. Although the issues we have with ours may have been fixed in more recent models, we purchased our Maytag Neptune 5 years ago and are in the process of getting our settlement in a class action suit against Maytag. I will be getting a new top-load Maytag (as stipulated by the settlement), but since we have well and septic, I really would prefer a front load for the water conservation. I may sell the new one I get and just start over. Before we purchased our Neptune set, it was ranked #1 by Consumer Reports too!! Very frustrating.
29.gif

DiamondLil

momothree

Shiny_Rock
We are also part of the Maytag Neptune class action suit. Paid an arm and a leg for these machines, which were supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. The dryer is fine, nothing special. The front load washing machine has had repeated mold issues and the only way I can prevent new mold from growing is to keep the door of the machine open 2-3 days after each load of laundry (which basically means keeping the door open all of the time) -- luckily I have a laundry room which can lock so my kids can't trap themselves inside the machine. Maytag's customer service has been abysmal. They have a Priority One special customer service phone number for purchasers of these fancy schmancy machine; unfortunately they never answered the phone so I had to send my complaints via email. Then, for a while they denied there was a problem and sent me email tips for "freshening" my machine. I would never ever buy another Maytag product except for that I am expecting a $500 check from them shortly which can only be used to buy another Maytag machine. They have allegedly fixed the problems with the Neptune but I'd stay WAY clear of them just in case
29.gif

ETA: I still think front-loads are the way to go, for all the reasons given by aljdewey -- just this one STINKS!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
From C/R just 3 mos. ago:
How to choose a washer

For the best all-around performance, buy a front-loader. If you’re willing to spend $1,000 or so, we’d steer you to a front-loader. The best offer very good washing, gentle action, ample capacity, and quiet operation. (Note that you must use special low-sudsing detergent for the best results.) Front-loaders fill partially with water and spin at high speeds, reducing water use and the energy required for drying--a plus if you have high water and utility costs. Front-loaders have been around awhile, and Frigidaire, GE, Kenmore, and Whirlpool have good reliability records.

You need to know: Numerous readers have reported that their front-loading washers developed mold or a musty smell. Using chlorine bleach occasionally and leaving the door ajar should help.

Get a conventional top-loader for good performance at a modest price. While these familiar washers may not be as exciting as newer types, they’re the best choice for most buyers. You can get decent washing for less than $500, and there’s a large selection of reliable brands. Top-loaders have shorter cycles than front-loaders and use regular detergent, which costs less than products for front-loaders.

Think twice about new-technology top-loaders. Although top-loaders with new wash systems have done well in our tests, they’re not among our top picks. Our survey data show that the Kenmore Calypso was one of the more repair-prone top-loaders, and it left garments tangled and wrinkled in our tests. The GE Profile Harmony and Maytag Neptune TL are too new to have reliability data, and neither was very gentle on clothes. Given the price of these three models--$900 to $1,300--we’d stick with a more-proven front-loader or conventional top-loader.

Don’t pay for pricey extras. The basic settings handle most needs, so don’t buy a pricey washer just to get a host of water levels and dozens of cycle and setting options. Touchpads or other fancy controls don’t offer any advantage over dials and push buttons. (The same applies to dryers.) A stainless-steel tub can stand up to higher spin speeds in a washer, but otherwise has no edge over plastic.

Here are the ratings as of right now. #1-23 were all top-load machines, so front loaders begin with #24 being the top rate, and the rest following in order. The #s after the price are cycle times.

(FYI, MO3 and D/Lil, it seems others are feeling the same pain on the Neptune front-loaded....it's ranked last on the list now.)

24 Whirlpool Duet HT GHW9400P[W] $1300 65 • • • •
25 Bosch Nexxt Premium WFMC6400UC $1350 110 • • • •
26 Kenmore (Sears) Elite HE4t 4598[1]
Elite HE4t 4599[ ] $1430
$1430 70 • • • •
27 LG WM2432H[W] $1250 75 • • • •
28 KitchenAid Superba KHWS01PMT $1500 75 • • • •
29 Kenmore (Sears) Elite HE3 4586[2] $1100 70 • • •
30 LG WM2032H[W] $1030 80 • • • •
31 Whirlpool Duet GHW9150P[W] $1000 65 • • •
32 Frigidaire Gallery GLTR1670A
Gallery GLTF1670A[ ] $620
$620 60 • • •
33 Miele Touchtronic W1113 $1600 90 • •
34 Asko W6021 $1000 120 • •
35 Maytag Neptune MAH6500A[WW]
Neptune MAH5500B[ ] $800
$900 70 • • • •

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Ann,

I purchased a Kenmore HE 3T front load washer and the matching gas dryer at Sears last June. I love them and you can wash much more in these types of washers. I previously had the regular style washer but it didn''t last and the extra money I paid for the front load style washer is well worth it!
21.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/23/2005 8:08:01 PM
Author: momothree
We are also part of the Maytag Neptune class action suit. Paid an arm and a leg for these machines, which were supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. The dryer is fine, nothing special. The front load washing machine has had repeated mold issues and the only way I can prevent new mold from growing is to keep the door of the machine open 2-3 days after each load of laundry (which basically means keeping the door open all of the time) -- luckily I have a laundry room which can lock so my kids can''t trap themselves inside the machine. Maytag''s customer service has been abysmal. They have a Priority One special customer service phone number for purchasers of these fancy schmancy machine; unfortunately they never answered the phone so I had to send my complaints via email. Then, for a while they denied there was a problem and sent me email tips for ''freshening'' my machine. I would never ever buy another Maytag product except for that I am expecting a $500 check from them shortly which can only be used to buy another Maytag machine. They have allegedly fixed the problems with the Neptune but I''d stay WAY clear of them just in case
29.gif

ETA: I still think front-loads are the way to go, for all the reasons given by aljdewey -- just this one STINKS!
I am so happy to see this post, Momothree!!! Until we received the suit papers, Maytag made me feel I was the only one with washer issues!

We began having problems with our Neptune from day 1! Our problems started with the door popping open multiple times during every wash load! Unless I propped a chair in front of the door to hold it closed, it could take me the entire day to get a single load of laundry done because I would go in the laundry room and find the cycle stopped because the door popped!!!!! After several visits and being told they "never saw this problem before," they replaced the entire door mechanism, and now it only happens occasionally.

We also have the mildw issue. Of course, Maytag also denied there was a problem, and after replacing the entire "boot" mechanism, I was instructed on how I would have to "freshen" my machine on a routine basis. Even with doing that, I have to literally bleach the inside of the machine now and again to really get it smelling clean.
29.gif

At this point, the paperwork to receive our $500 certificate has been filed and received by Maytag, but I still worry they will find a reason to not honor the settlement!!! Do you plan to keep the top-load you get?

DiamondLil

momothree

Shiny_Rock
Hi Lil! Until you mentioned it, I hadn't realized that we'd have to use the $500 on a top-load. Just checked the paperwork and you're right! That was very sneaky -- they probably realized many of the Neptune "early adopters" were committed to front loaders for environmental/energy reasons and are therefore unlikely to redeem the coupons. Reason to hate Maytag even more! I don't know what we'll do... On one hand, it would be helpful to pay $500 less on a new machine but on the other I'd rather have a front-load and I hate to give Maytag ANY more money. I guess we'll have to do some serious thinking/shopping when and if the check ever shows up.

By the way, your problems sound worse than mine. The door popping thing would have driven me over the edge. Also, our Maytag repair guy told us sort of off the record (since I don't suppose they wanted to advertise the fact that they had not figured out a way to truly fix the problems) that the only way to avoid further stink/mold was to keep the door open after each use -- it's been over a year and he appears to be right. So if this is an option for you, you may want to try it and save yourself some serious boot scrubbing.

On a *totally* different topic (sorry people who are interested in washers and dryers), I had never been much of a pear fan before but your redone ring is truly magnificent!!!!!!! I LOVE everything about it but especially the way your wedding ring is worked into the design.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much, Momothree. I still find myself staring at my new rings. Maybe when I load the washer, I should stare at my hand and for a brief moment I''ll forget how P.O.-ed I am at Maytag!
31.gif

DiamondLil

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
We hate our 4 year old Sears Kenmore Callypso. It leaks water. Holds bleach in the dispenser and dumps it on the following colored loads and ruins clothes. Of course service says nothing wrong. Our second choice was the Neptune. It was a purcahse destined to be doomed I guess.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Man -- I never thought it was this complicated! We''re thinking of purchasing a new home, and would have to but a new washer/dryer, so I''ve started paying attention to what''s the latest and greatest. The last set I bought, I let the builder/designer pick out -- it''s a basic GE Profile, but works fine. Top loading, no mold, no stopped loads, just a normal washing machine. And I think it cost around $400 - $500, 4 years ago. I thought this next choice would be equally simple, but now I''m worried! Keep writing here -- I''m learning more than I ever wanted to know!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
My friend just bought a pair yesterday. She had a repairman that she personally knew try to fix her old Whirlpool (both of us had the same machine which went nearly exactly at the 17 year mark). The fix was going to be somewhat equal to a new machine cost - so he advised buying a new set. She solicted his advise. Money was no issue. On the new generation front loaders, her repair man said that though you will save on water, it will even out with repair costs. NONE are free of problems. Most will leak. To quote "It's like putting a bucket on it's side and expecting it not to leak." The guy had nothing to gain and in fact, joked he would get more business if she bought the new generation front loader. They have been keeping him in business. He specifically called out the Maytag as the worst offender.

His recommendation hands down - the whirlpool regular style. Also, he did not like the GE's - though he wasn't sure if they were still using the plastic basket.

Edited to add: Lop, I went with my friend to Lowe's on Wed. She picked out the Whirlpool "quiet care" w/ many settings (extra capacity) & the extra capacity dryer. With the free rebate for delivery, and another rebate for buying a pair, she paid well under 1k for the pair. It was delivered on Thursday. She's was doing laundry this morning. Couldn't be happier. This was a women who was dying to get the new generation front loader last year - until she heard from many people how they are starting to crap out after a few years - and then the recommendation of her repairman sealed it.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Thanks F&I. Glad to hear I don''t have to get up on all the new technology and spend a minor fortune!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all your info - keep it coming! I thought I wanted the new front load washing machine, but I do not want the pedestal. I think they would be too tall - maybe be too close to my upper cabinets. Though I have not measured yet.

All this info on the front loaders is a bit scary. Both of my kids are off to college, so my laundry will be lessened, but I would still like a large capacity washer and dryer.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2005 4:03:10 PM
Author: Ann
Thanks for all your info - keep it coming! I thought I wanted the new front load washing machine, but I do not want the pedestal. I think they would be too tall - maybe be too close to my upper cabinets. Though I have not measured yet.

All this info on the front loaders is a bit scary. Both of my kids are off to college, so my laundry will be lessened, but I would still like a large capacity washer and dryer.
If you have the space for the large capacity, I would hands down purchase those. They aren''t that much more; but, almost always offer choices on load size. I can do my king comforter & a couple of delicate turtle necks - both with different water settings.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
my LG front loads are NOT on pedestals. i am very short and don''t like the pedestal look at all.

front loaders have been used in europe for years without problems and that is where i first used them...while traveling.

i LOVE my LG front loaders and have absolutely no problems, complaints, etc. with them in the year i''ve been using them. however, i did not buy bottom of the LG line either. the convenience, capacity, and choices as to what i can wash and dry with them beats anything i''ve ever had before.

even with just the two of us, we generate lots of different kinds of laundry given we live on 20 acres and have poison oak to contend with....and with 8 cats i needed something that was going to handle the cat hair. i like being able to do my queen size comforters and knowing that they''re not getting beaten up in the washer. and then being able to do my ''delicates'' like bras, silk blouses, etc. in the both the washer and dryer has been really great.

again, good luck.

peace, movie zombie

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know much about the LG brand. But I have been seeing their ads. I will have to do some research on those, they look promising.

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Ann,

It may be helpful for you to get a copy of Consumer Reports latest book. I often read up about what I might buy in their books and magazines.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
more re consumer reports: several years ago there was some concern that it was not as unbiased as previously thought. apparently their testing was not uniform across the board when testing like things. cars was an example. while they do not advertise, i think they still suffer from being human. having said that i''d still use them as a resource to learn about things but wouldn''t take their evaluation as the ''absolute truth''. ultimately we have to make our own decision based on all the iinformation we''ve gleened.

i spent good $$$ for my LG''s but i LOVE them. my only regret is that i did not go as high on ''quality'' with the dryer as i did with the washer....but you don''t miss what you don''t have.

peace, movie zombie

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
For those that own front load machines, do you need to keep the door open when not in use so that the water dries out? Also does it vibrate and "walk" when the load is unbalanced? How long is the cycle time?

Everyone still happy? Thanks

We really dislike our Calypso. What does one do with a 4 year old machine one dislikes? What are ypu Maytag Neptune owners going to do. Would a charity take it as a donation?

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Noobie,
I have resorted to leaving the door slightly open to dry out the inside of our Neptune, but that''s annoying since our w/d are in a mudroom where we have a side entrance to our house. That''s the entrance the family uses, and with the traffic pattern walking by the washer to take shoes/jackets off to put in the closet, we are whacking into the washer door. Then I curse and slam the door shut again.
20.gif

I have not had the vibration/walking problem. My uprights years ago had more of this. The one thing (probably the only thing) about the Neptune that is good -- it does not make as much noise as my previous top loaders.

I would guess the cycle time is similar to a top load, but I''ve never timed it.

I''m still waiting for my certificate which will give me $500 toward a new Neptune top load. I think I read in my paperwork that the old washer would be taken away upon delivery of the new, but I''ll have to check that. I''m sure a charity would take it, but with the problems we''ve had with ours, I''d feel terrible for anyone who ended up with the thing.

DiamondLil

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/27/2005 11:38:39 PM
Author: noobie
For those that own front load machines, do you need to keep the door open when not in use so that the water dries out? Also does it vibrate and ''walk'' when the load is unbalanced? How long is the cycle time?

Everyone still happy? Thanks

We really dislike our Calypso. What does one do with a 4 year old machine one dislikes? What are ypu Maytag Neptune owners going to do. Would a charity take it as a donation?
I''ve owned my front load for about 7 mos, and I haven''t had to keep the door ajar, although I easily could because our laundry is on the 2nd floor behind bifold doors. For those who have a problem with mustiness, I wonder if throwing a handful of baking soda into the drum occasionally would help alleviate that???

I don''t notice the washer vibrating any more than regular ones, and no, it doesn''t walk. Because ours is on the second floor, I had a drain-pan installed under it in case it ever breaks and leaks, and if it were "walking", I''d notice it due to that pan.

Cycle times vary depending on what you choose for a setting. My typical cycle on the Whirlpool Duet is about 40 min. to wash a load of jeans/shirt, etc. I think the delicate cycle is only 23 min; the sanitizing cycle is more like 64 min (although I don''t really use this one).

Yes, I''m still ECSTATIC with my washer....I''m seriously glad we spent the extra money to get decent model, and I find the front-loader much, much more to my liking. It''s quieter and seems to clean the clothes better.

Lastly, yes, I think there are several charities that will come pick up your washer if you wish to donate it. Also, check with your local animal shelter. They often accept donations, too, so they can wash bedding for their charges.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2005 5:50:28 AM
Author: diamondlil

I have not had the vibration/walking problem. My uprights years ago had more of this. The one thing (probably the only thing) about the Neptune that is good -- it does not make as much noise as my previous top loaders.

I would guess the cycle time is similar to a top load, but I''ve never timed it.

DiamondLil
My cycle time is dependent upon my settings.

Also, the new generation of Whirlpool "quiet care" are significantly quieter than the older ones. It''s hard to tell when they are finished.

I''m with Movie Zombie on the Consumer Guide biased. Honestly, Sears must own stock. Often, they are a year behind on the models they test. I''ve yet to go with their pick and be satisfied. But, as noted, it''s a great way to compare features, etc. Can give you an idea of what features you may be looking for.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
washer and dryer on 1st floor on tile. no walking problems. washer: i wipe the plastic seal periodically if it appears some water has collected. the stainless steel drum drains completely and there is no wet plastic musty smell.

one year now with this LG set. i did not go bottom of the LG line so i have lots of settings and manual controls as well. i too had more problems with the toploader ''walking'' and being really noisy. i won''t be going back to toploaders and after reading the problems experienced by pricescopers, i won''t be buying from whirlpool or maytag.

peace, movie zombie

momothree

Shiny_Rock
Another Neptune owner here. Per the Maytag repair man, we are supposed to keep the door ajar after doing the wash due to the Neptune''s propensity to grow mold on the boot (the plastic barrier between the tub and the door). Maytag insisted on putting on a new boot last week, which they SWEAR is mold resistent because it has carbon in it. The repair man/installer said to continue the practice of keeping the door open after washes anyway, just to be on the safe side. Anyway, I think this is a Neptune-only problem -- something with how the doors are designed -- so you are probably fine picking another front-load brand. I have lost all faith in Maytag after this debacle.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2005 11:39:44 AM
Author: movie zombie
....after reading the problems experienced by pricescopers, i won't be buying from whirlpool or maytag.
I'm confused.....both of the comments about Whirlpools I see in this thread are glowing ones, so why would you rule out Whirlpool?

From what I see, it is Maytag and Kenmore that are having the negative reviews.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/28/2005 1:38:07 PM
Author: aljdewey

Whirlpool group makes a large proportion of Kenmore appliances. The Calyso I bought is essentially the same as the Whirlpool model.

Thanks so much for the feedback. I''m going to check out the Whirlpool Duet and LG models more seriously. The Bosch and Siemens look interesting, but I notice they have long cycle times.

It really peeves me off since the Kenmore was $1000 when we bought it. Had the repair guy in last week for leaks and as always it doesn''t leak when they are there. Sure enough after he leaves, we get a puddle on the floor. Can''t use the bleach dispenser for fear of ruining several hundred more dollars worth of clothes.

Ugggg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2005 1:38:07 PM
Author: aljdewey

Date: 6/28/2005 11:39:44 AM
Author: movie zombie
....after reading the problems experienced by pricescopers, i won''t be buying from whirlpool or maytag.
I''m confused.....both of the comments about Whirlpools I see in this thread are glowing ones, so why would you rule out Whirlpool?

i stand corrected....however, i remember when i was looking at the whirlpools i didn''t like them.

long cycles on LG washer and dryer can be overriden. on the washer there is a quick cycle button that allows you to shorten the longer time...i use it all the time, even at times when i do prewash, extra rinse, etc.

peace, movie zombie

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results