shape
carat
color
clarity

Washing machine/Dryer purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Well I have to give huge kudos so Sears. They offered a full credit for the purchase of a different washer. So we got an $1100 credit towards a new He3T which is almot identical to the Whirlpool Duet. It was only about $300 including a 3 year warranty

It doesn''t make up for all of the ruined clothes, but it''s much better than going through what you Maytag owners have.

I did a quick google search and found that my problems are very common and that there were two class actions in CA and PA regarding Calypso. I''d much rather just get rid of the thing than join a class action.

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/23/2005 7:19:35 PM
Author: diamondlil
I am a big fan of front loaders in general for their high effiecency and gentleness on clothing, but I would NOT recommend the Maytag. Although the issues we have with ours may have been fixed in more recent models, we purchased our Maytag Neptune 5 years ago and are in the process of getting our settlement in a class action suit against Maytag. I will be getting a new top-load Maytag (as stipulated by the settlement), but since we have well and septic, I really would prefer a front load for the water conservation. I may sell the new one I get and just start over. Before we purchased our Neptune set, it was ranked #1 by Consumer Reports too!! Very frustrating.
29.gif

DiamondLil
I don't know if this applies to you, but a few ago I bought a new Maytag set, both washer and dryer were in the Neptune series and high capacity machines. Even though I had owned a GE set for 10 years previous to buying the Maytags, I ended up letting my mom, who had owned a set of Maytags for over 30 years, talk me into switching to Maytag. I have never been sorrier in my life! From day one I've had nothing but problems with these machines. The washer doesn't do a good job of cleaning the laundry, the drier sometimes takes HOURS to dry one load. I've had the Maytag people out to fix them several times, because they keep breaking down. The last time, I ended up calling in an independent repair guy who was an authorized Maytag repairman. He told me that what I had weren't even real Maytags! He said that several years ago, Maytag bought out some smaller appliance manufacturers and had continued to manufacture those other companies products, only were now putting the "Maytag" name on the machines. He said that what I most likely had was a Magic Chef or a Hotpoint set with Maytag emblems! I have tried to verify what this guy told me, but have yet to have it verified by either Maytag or the other companies. All I get is the run-around from everyone and no real answer one way or the other. I would NEVER purchase another Maytag product. I'm hoping soon to replace the ones I have with new ones.

ETA: I originally bought this set at a store that has subsequently gone out of business. I think selling Maytags must have bankrupted him!
14.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Man oh man, as an owner of a Maytag Neptune w/d set, I''m totally bummed after reading this thread. I haven''t had any major probs, but you can bet they''ll start right after the warrranty expires.
11.gif
29.gif
However, I have not had any major problems as yet.

I originally purchased a Kenmore Elite front loading set (can''t remember the model #s) but returned them after we took delivery because the design (bubble front) caused space issues in my laundry room. So we went with the maytag. Aside from occasional loud unbalancing noises, it seems to be working out just fine ... so far.
14.gif

Yes, Whirlpool makes many of the Kenmore products. In fact, alot of the "brands" are made by only limited manufacturers. This is the case also with Jenair/Kitchen Aid, etc.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
SJZ,
The Maytag store that I got my set from has also since gone out of business!! Maybe you are right, all the problems put them out of business.

I had my first Maytag set in 1986 to 1989 (our first house), and we had no problems. Maytag had a good reputation at that point. I don''t doubt for a minute that the Maytags of today are actually manufactured by another company with the Maytag private label on them
29.gif

When we built our second house, we purchased a KitchenAid set which were WONDERFUL. Lived there for 10 years and never had a repair issue or problems EVER. I wish I had taken the set with me, but it seems customary in this area to leave the w/d with the house when you move. Built our third house here in 1999 and I went for top of the line -- or so I thought.

My husband and I were just talking about what we should do. When my $500 class-action certificate finally shows up, it is only good on an upright Maytag Neptune, so it''s not like they "give me" a new washer. I still need to dish out several hundred dollars!!! Do I go with it and see what happens? Or should I just forget it, and use that few hundred toward a totally different washer? If I do that, I really want to sell the perfectly good dryer and get a totally new set (don''t want a reminder of Maytag in my house).

Hearing that Sears worked with Noobie gives me hope that maybe I can work something out with Maytag. Since the store I purchased from is out of business, I wonder if the certificate I get is good at any Maytag dealer (Sears, Home Depot, etc.). I just want this "thing" out of my laundry room, but until I get my certificate, I''m sitting in limbo.
7.gif

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
I wish that I had left my set at our old house when we moved! It''s somewhat customary where I live to leave appliances with the house when you sell, too. We built the house we are in now, and we had an appliance allowance for certain appliances including the range, built in microwave, and dishwasher. Since we were leaving the range and dishwasher with the old house, we left the fridge, too, so that the kitchen was more "complete" and made the sale more attractive for prospective buyers. We debated on leaving the crappy Maytags with the house, but we decided in the end since we were going to end up purchasing a new fridge, we needed to cut corners and not buy three new appliances. I regret that decision now, I tell ya...lol.

My husband keeps telling me that next year for our 15th anniversary I get to upgrade my diamond. I have seriously thought of making a deal with him to get a slightly smaller or lower priced stone if he throws in a new washer and dryer in the deal!

As far as what to do with the $500 allowance? I dunno. I didn''t know about the class action suit, so I''m not in on that deal. I don''t think my probs were related to that anyway. But if Maytag was going to give me $500 credit toward a new washing machine, I think that I would take it, and sell BOTH the Maytag washer and dryer as a set and get myself a new set of some other brand. I''ve already been asking around, and for a comparable price, you can get a top of the line Whirlpool, GE, or Kenmore for the same money. I have various friends with all three of those brands, and as far as I know, people are pretty well pleased with those brands. My sister has a Maytag set, exactly like mine, only her washer has a little fingertip faucett inside that mine doesn''t have. She''s had just as many problems as I''ve had. The only people I know who have Maytags that are pleased are the people like my mom who''ve had them for a pretty long time. People who have the late model machines have all sorts of complaints.

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
I can really understand how you guys feel. We just wanted our machine out, but it was really, really annoying to have paid so much for a piece of junk. I hope Maytag owners don''t get results like this.

This is a picture of our new 1000 tc ivory sheets washed a few days ago. Actual results with Tide He detergent and untouched photo. Nice to get sheets back worse than they were put in.
29.gif

Well at least Sears has been very, very good. Not only did they credit me the washer, but the original delivery charge. The new one is delivered free and they had a 20% off sale this weekend. So I got a top of the line He4T $1500 washer for $50. I bought the extended warranty because of past experience. They also said they would credit me the balance of my old extended waranty if I call the main office. It''s only about $25, so I won''t bother.

They''ve earned an appliance buyer for life!

calypso.jpg

sjz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/3/2005 12:18:40 PM
Author: noobie
I can really understand how you guys feel. We just wanted our machine out, but it was really, really annoying to have paid so much for a piece of junk. I hope Maytag owners don't get results like this.

This is a picture of our new 1000 tc ivory sheets washed a few days ago. Actual results with Tide He detergent and untouched photo. Nice to get sheets back worse than they were put in.
29.gif

Well at least Sears has been very, very good. Not only did they credit me the washer, but the original delivery charge. The new one is delivered free and they had a 20% off sale this weekend. So I got a top of the line He4T $1500 washer for $50. I bought the extended warranty because of past experience. They also said they would credit me the balance of my old extended waranty if I call the main office. It's only about $25, so I won't bother.

They've earned an appliance buyer for life!

Oh my gosh, noobie! That's nasty! My washer doesn't get my laundry very clean sometimes, but at least they don't come out looking more dirty than they were when I put them in! That's too bad!

One of the problems I keep having with my washing machine are the dispensers. There is one for bleach and one for fabric softener. Sometimes the dispensers do not empty all the bleach or fabric softener, and the next load gets what's left. I've had colored clothes come out with bleach spots all over them, and loads that have grease spots from the fabric softener residual. I pretty much have to just use the non-chlorine bleach now, and use a Downey Ball thingy for the fabric softener to avoid that problem. For what I paid for this silly machine, you'd think the funtions would work properly!

My dryer is a piece of junk, too. Sometimes it takes HOURS to dry a load of clothes. At first, Maytag tried to blame me by saying I was probably putting too much laundry in the machine. I tried decreasing the size of the load, until I barely had anything in there, and it STILL took forever to dry the laundry. My old machine never took more than one hour to dry anything...even blankets and heavy things like jeans. So I know that a dryer should work better than that.

I also had problems with the finish coming off of both machines within the first couple of weeks I had them. Maytag sent a guy out to look at them, and know what he told me? That I had probably spilled bleach or detergent or something on them, and it ate the finish!
23.gif
20.gif
. I was like, "well, duh! This is a LAUNDRY ROOM, and I use bleach and detergent in and around these machines!" One would think that they'd use some kind of paint or enamel on washing machine and clothes dryer that would resist bleach and detergent, wouldn't you?
33.gif
38.gif
. But according to Maytag, they don't warranty against "damage" from bleach and detergents! I complained so much about it, they finally did replace the top of my washing machine because of all the damage to the finish (it looked like corrosion on a BRAND NEW machine) But guess what? The replacement part did the SAME THING within a few weeks
15.gif
29.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
MAN! You guys are really making me not want new appliances! My washers and dryers just chug along just fine. Clothes get clean and dry, but they aren''t anything fancy.

I''m about to dishwasher shop, so that might be another story.....

noobie

Brilliant_Rock
Well two days with the new washer and I don''t know how we put up with that *%$^@#*&%#@ piece of crap for so long. At last, clean clothes without streaks, excessive lint and spots! The thing is so quiet! So far so good. I read on the web that one Calypso owner sold his on eBay for $31 just to get rid of it! I was just about there.

Thanks for all the recommendations on the front loaders. Now I know why you guys love them so much. Good luck to you MAytag owners. I can tell you that you will feel better when you get the problem out of your house.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
My parents have new Maytag front loaders...I cant think of the model. They both work really well, my mother cant seem to make me color sort of stop stuffing until it is full. The only issue is in the washer she had to have the rubber seal replaced after only two years do to mold issues...from keeping the door clean. Our family does not use fabric softner becuase two of the four children have such sensitive skin that it gives us hives (I am one of them). Is there anything Noobie can due in terms of Lemon laws or are those only for cars? I would have a coniption fit if my laundry came out like that.

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
I have the sears HE3 series washer and gas dryer and could not be happier with their performance
21.gif

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Just talked to my appliance vendor today. (I am a custom home builder and occasionally take advantage of their offerings of discounts!) He advised me to get Whirlpool - any thoughts?

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
My sister in law recently returned her whirlpool duet front load washer and dryer, it was a piece of junk. She ended up with the sears front loader like I have but the HE4t series. She is happy with those. I have heard that a lot of folks are returning the duet front loaders that whirlpool makes. I don''t know anything about the whirlpool top load washers (regular style).

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I had an avacado green Whirlpool washer up until about 5 years ago if that tells you anything about how good the washer was. It was a hand me down after I graduated from college in 1986. Along with it I had a Whirlpool dryer with a huge rust spot on it that I got at the same time as the washer. I finally gave the set away to a co-worker of DH''s to buy the set we have now. It''s an Amana extra large capacity with matching dryer and I''ve some problems with them (starting 6 months after purchase) and we''ll probably be getting a new set this year. In fact my Amana refrigerator also died at 5 years and 2 months (warranty up after 5 years of course!) and we had to buy a new fridge. Grrrrr. No more Amanas!! We''ll probably get a Whirlpool or Kenmore (made by Whirlpool) or the LG front loading set. Gotta save up for those though, they aren''t cheap!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2005 8:44:34 PM
Author: Ann
Just talked to my appliance vendor today. (I am a custom home builder and occasionally take advantage of their offerings of discounts!) He advised me to get Whirlpool - any thoughts?
My girlfriend, Karen, bought the Whirlpool Duet set about 3 years ago. She's been thoroughly pleased with the machines, so I felt quite confident in buying them too. I've had no problems with them and nothing but GREAT things to say about them.

They clean the clothes extremely well; quiet operation, and I haven't had a single problem with them since we got them.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results