shape
carat
color
clarity

Vaccum Cleaners?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Yes -- I survived the dreaded 4/4/4 birthday
6.gif
. The earrings are .57 -- sort of an inbetween size. A couple of people, including Rich S. convinced me that for the $$ difference, they were a great value, and overtime, I'd probably be glad to have the slightly larger size. The SI2 kept them in a good price range.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, saw the pics. When I had my friend try on my nieces e.r. (.43) they were a nice size. But, both of us thought for our age we would go a tad bigger. I'm glad you did. They are a nice size for everyday.

wallace

Shiny_Rock
One word: MIELE.

Pricey. Definitley worth the price tag (Dyson and Kirby aren't too inexpensive either). It will last for the rest of your life and then some. Grew up with Miele, bought one that went my ex-bf, and now have a new one - they only get better. THose other two machines are still running perfectly well with no issues so far.

I have used all the other brands (college, roomates, etc.) and have never been as fully satisfied as with Miele. (The only Dyson I ever used was a commercial industrial vac - WOW - talk about suction)!

THree things I never skimp on price for quality: Diamonds, shoes, and appliances. I want to spend the money and not have to keep going out and bying them. Just thought I would suggest it since no one had mentioned it yet.

anitad

Rough_Rock
Which vaccum did you buy at Costco for $129 rated No 1 by consumers report? I think it is the Eureka with a wand.

I am looking for a new vaccum for wooden floors and area rugs - I see you like the Miele Stick, Oreck, Roomba and Sanyo SCX and Eureka. Guess the Sears and Hoover are junk!!

Thanks for the info - I have always checked out consumer reports in the past but don't have access to my home CR and may have to go to the library. Thought I would try the internet first.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 4/26/2004 7:56:29 PM anitad wrote:

Which vaccum did you buy at Costco for $129 rated No 1 by consumers report? I think it is the Eureka with a wand.

----------------

Hey, it's the Eureka "The Boss," with dust trap system w/sealed hepa and that wand thingy (that we don't really use). . .but, I was mistaken about the rating. It was rated #1 VALUE or BEST VALUE (or something along this line, by CR) not #1 vaccuum.

We love it and it works fabulously for the price we paid. Only two complaints. The electrical cord is only two prong rather than three so it comes unplugged if you move too far and accidently yank on it (and this is extremely annoying, even my MIL thought this was a major flaw in the design) and also the interior filter in the bagless dirt chamber gets icky after only a few vaccuuming and needs to be washed.

Be sure to let us know which one you get for future reference here!

Michelle

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Is the dyson animal a canister vac or upright?

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I've seen Dyson uprights. I don't know if they make a canister also.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 5/2/2004 9:56:53 AM fire&ice wrote:

Is the dyson animal a canister vac or upright?----------------

The Animal is an upright, but Dyson just released their canister in the U.S. It's supposed to quite nice.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
F&I,

Did you buy a new vacuum? I want a new one and I'm leaning toward the Dyson.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
No & Yes. I had my newer Sears vaccum repaired for a nominal fee. It's working great again. For the second home, we bought a cheap Bissel powerhead canister for $100.00 from the Costco. It works fairly well.

So, for now, I'm not going to invest anymore money in vacuums until my Sears dies again. I do like it; but, can't stand the fact that no one but Sears can work on it.

Though, the Buzz on my "Breed dog" board is that the Dyson Animal is the best thing since sliced bread. The vacuum thread was one of the longest ongoing threads there. *Many* people jumped on the band wagon & purchased the Dyson Animal. *Everyone* is singing it's praises. It's not easy to vacuum Standard Schnauzer undercoats that appear everywhere except on their bodies! So, to me, it's quite the testimonial. And, these people aren't shills. I know & have met many of them.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
which one do you all think is the most powerful...I need maximum suction (lol) b/c I have three fur beasts at home...?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I think it's called the Dyson "Animal". They talk about it being purple.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
The Dyson uprights all have the same amount of power; it's the attachments and add-ons that differ.

It's nice to hear that the Dysons are doing so well. We looove ours.

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
My husband and I are getting the Dyson Animal tonight. We have two cats at home, and husband is asthmatic. We're hoping this will help. I'll let you know what I think of the machine once I give it a whirl or two.

We have hardwood flooring throughout, but I'm hoping it will do a better job than sweeping and I'd like to vaccum the couch and mattress once in a while.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/17/2004 6:04:55 PM sumi wrote:

My husband and I are getting the Dyson Animal tonight. We have two cats at home, and husband is asthmatic. We're hoping this will help. I'll let you know what I think of the machine once I give it a whirl or two.

We have hardwood flooring throughout, but I'm hoping it will do a better job than sweeping and I'd like to vaccum the couch and mattress once in a while. ----------------

Wondering if you bought it & what do you think?

bruce

Rough_Rock
Derek,

I must have the same Sunbeam canister as you do. Do you know where to get replacement filters for the motor filter (the circular filter)?
Thanks,
Bruce

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I can see this thread has been visited periodically, so I''ll chip in even though it''s a bit old.

Rich and I just bought the Dyson Animal vac a week ago. Yup, it was pricey, but holy cow....it works TREMENDOUSLY on carpets. Not only did it pull out all the pet hair, but it pulled all the loose junk that you get when carpet is newly installed.

Pros: It really is unbeatable for carpeting. Also, it has a lllooooooooooong hose, so you can vac the stairs without ever moving the vac. (That might sway those of you looking for canisters due to portability). It also has a super-long power cord.....we were able to plug it in the upstairs hallway and easily reach all corners of the house with it. VERY convenient.

Cons: It does take a bit more time to familiarize yourself with how to operate it. It''s a bit more complex than the average machine. Also, it''s bagless, so if you have a LOT of hair from pets, you may end up having to empty the canister frequently (2-3 times during a vac job).....which is a bit of a pain to me.

I''m not sure how it does on hardwood.....I wasn''t initially that impressed on bare floors, but I wasn''t using the floor attachment, so I''d want to try that before dismissing it on bare floors.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Well, this is timely. Believe it or not, my power head died AGAIN. I''m sick of this crap. I''m seriously thinking about the dyson animal. They do make a canister version. What version did you buy? I need a jack of all trades vaccum cleaner. I need it to work on carpet, rugs & hardwood & tile. We live on a 1/2 mile long gravel driveway - (read lots o'' dust), I have two dogs that shed their undercoat & a hubby who drags all his stuff in as well.

I bought the Bissesl digi-pro (cheap at 150.00) for the little house. It doesn''t do the job here in the country as I dragged it from little house. I don''t believe in consumer report because they are still recommending MY BROKEN vaccum cleaner as their best bet. I know of no one who has this vac & it didn''t have major problems.

So, to suck it up or not. What kind of floor attachment would you use - and have you tried it yet? I need a canister type to get underneath beds, etc.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/22/2004 10:25:27 AM
Author: fire&ice
Well, this is timely. Believe it or not, my power head died AGAIN. I''m sick of this crap. I''m seriously thinking about the dyson animal. They do make a canister version. What version did you buy? I need a jack of all trades vaccum cleaner. I need it to work on carpet, rugs & hardwood & tile. We live on a 1/2 mile long gravel driveway - (read lots o'' dust), I have two dogs that shed their undercoat & a hubby who drags all his stuff in as well.

I bought the Bissesl digi-pro (cheap at 150.00) for the little house. It doesn''t do the job here in the country as I dragged it from little house. I don''t believe in consumer report because they are still recommending MY BROKEN vaccum cleaner as their best bet. I know of no one who has this vac & it didn''t have major problems.

So, to suck it up or not. What kind of floor attachment would you use - and have you tried it yet? I need a canister type to get underneath beds, etc.
I bought the Dyson Animal version - the upright purple one. I have a sheltie who sheds like MAD and a long-haired Maine coon cat that also molts uncontrollably.

I''ve attached a pic of the low-floor tool attachment that comes with it...you simply connect this to the hose end. With this, you can get under the beds, etc. This essentially makes it function like a canister vacuum even though it''s an upright....it doesn''t really matter what the configuration it connects to looks like as long as the hose/wand functions the same as a canister, and this one does.

Go to this link....Dyson page.....and watch the little flash intro in the black box. You''ll see the living room demo, and how the guy removes the hose and uses it to vac up the stairs. This same function would hold true for vacuuming under the bed with the low-floor attachment.

I have to say, it is REALLY sweet not to have to heft the vac up the stairs a few at a time while vacuuming.

dyson low floor tool.jpg

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I have really become a fan of my Roomba. Especially for inbetween cleanings and under the bed. I just set it in an area and let it do it's thing, and it really does a great job. It doesn't eliminate the need for a regular vaccum, but it does mean it's easy to keep things clean without having to drag out the big old vaccum.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I think I will just suck it up and ask Santa to bring me an animal - dyson that is.
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif
I haven''t heard of a dissatisfied consumer - though thte price is ridiculous. I guess not as ridiculous as some though.

Thanks Lop - but the Roomba reminds me of another soul I have to guide. Too new fangled for this living in the past soul.
28.gif
9.gif

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Resurrecting this old thread -- going by Costco tonight to look at (and probably purchase a Dyson). Spent a couple thousand on diamond studs easier than this $470 purchase. Did a ton of research.....looked at Miele, Sebo, Bosch & others. Read zillions of reviews and talked to lots of friends and friends of friends who are Dyson owners. I could purchase a luxury car easier than a vacuum cleaner.
20.gif

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''ve heard good things about dyson but i went with MIELE. i love this vacuum! so much so that i now vacuum almost every day and don''t even mind it. i have become a very big believer in not scrimping on the tools to do the job!

peace, movie zombie

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
My parents had the same Kirby for more then 15 years and my sis took it then. (We built a house with a central vac) and it still works. I would highly recomend their products.

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
My Roomba died -- completely. The battery quit charging, a rubber belt broke, and other things went kaput, just after one year. Not loving it anymore, but the concept was great!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/28/2005 9:20:30 PM
Author: movie zombie
i have become a very big believer in not scrimping on the tools to do the job!
I emphatically second this!

Rich and I have made a number of significant purchases this year.....and it seems none of them were cheap. Washer, dryer, refrigerator, snow blower, lawn mower, vacuum cleaner, leaf blower, weed trimmer......WHEW!

Thank God we are both on the same page.....better to spend the money to get it right the first time and get GOOD tools to do the job! What we''ve learned over time is that scrimping on the tools isn''t saving money at all.....you just end up replacing them more, and at the end of a given period, you''ve spent as much replacing the inferior thing 3-4 times as you would have to just buy an adequate tool in the first place.

What we save instead is the aggravation of not having something work when we need it to, and not having to burn countless hours shopping to replace things.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/1/2005 4:03:49 PM
Author: Matatora
My parents had the same Kirby for more then 15 years and my sis took it then. (We built a house with a central vac) and it still works. I would highly recomend their products.
Central vac is great...minus having to carry the thing up or down 3 flights of stairs sometimes! Hehe. We ended up having to buy multiples because that aspect is such a pain!!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a Dyson 2 weeks ago. Got it at Costco for $470. Came with all of the attachments. I wasn''t impressed at first because it was so different from my Panasonic -- quieter, lighter, and easier to push around but I quickly grew to love it.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could be a walking talking advertisement for Dyson! This vacuum cleaner is phenomonal! I second Al''s thought about not having to drag it up the steps behind you. The hose is super long and really works well. I am thinking of buying another one to have upstairs so I don''t have to drag anything up and down the steps anymore! I had a Kirby for years - another great machine but it is SO heavy and changing to use a hose and attachments is a real pain. I don''t have the patience or time to take something halfway apart and back together again just to use an attachment. If you are in the market for a vacuum, at least check this one out before you buy!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Giving this a bump. I'm desperate for a new vacuum. I'm not convinced about the Dyson! Convince me ladies!

I'm also reading so many great things about the Eureka Sanitaire and I'm going to look up the Sanyo now.

I have wood floors with area rugs. Some of the rugs are really nice hooked rugs...I don't want to damage them by getting te wrong vacuum...and I'm always going over the couches, etc b/c of the cats.

Figured I'd get an update from you guys...

I'm also reading that if you have a lot of pet hair, it's better to get a vacuum with a disposable bag? hmmm.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results