shape
carat
color
clarity

Upright Vacums ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
My daughter is needing a new vac for her apt. I''m buying but have no idea what''s on the market or what''s good. I have a vacum system built in my house, so I haven''t shopped for one in ages. I have heard of the Dyson''s, but this is a 2/2 apt., and I do know that the Dyson''s are expensive. Are they worth it?

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
Okay...don''t laugh but I love my Hoover Mach 5 that I got from Walmart. I think it''s only sold at Walmart and possibly Costco. After doing a lot of research, I found out on a consumer message board that this vacuum is based on an expired Dyson patent. I''ve had it a few weeks now and it''s easy to empty, has a hepa filter, and the two other small filters just need to be rinsed out well and air dried. There aren''t any expensive filters to replace.

My last vacuum was a Eureka and it had one of those pleated paper dust cup filters that clog up fast. I''ve had no loss of suction issues with my new vacuum.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5544971

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
here''s another hoover fan. after trying many supposedly better ones i went back to hoover. i am strictly an upright user with the exception of our shop vac. i didn''t want the new fangled plastic so i went to the hoover store (but they are available online) and purchased the plain commercial model. black with an orange cord. the type used in hotels. it is light to push and does an excellent job. this model does not have the tools but i have others that do. i own four as i keep one on each floor. they are inexpensive ( i only paid 100 bucks each since i purchased two). hth.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I love my dyson! I have owned a lot of vacuums, including an Orek and nothing cleans like the dyson. I bought mine at costco. Even my husband is surprisingly enthoused by the dyson.

But a big nevative is that if it ever needs to be repaired its really hard to find someone to repair it. I tried to get it fixed and I called like 8 places and nobody would touch it. Thankfully my cleaning lady was able to fix it for me! I feel stupid but it was a simple problem of hair getting stucik on the bottom and I could not get the roller thingy out. she fixed it in a breeze. But should it need a real repair I don''t know where I would go?

Anyone else with a dyson have this issue?

I would never buy an oreck again. Lets just say they repair guy at the local store knew me. That means you are in there too often. It cleaned GREAT when it worked but it was overpriced for what it was.

Stephanie

Brilliant_Rock
Dyson is amazing! We love it because we have a cat and a chinchilla, so there is fur everywhere in the house. The Dyson has no problem at all (unlike our last vacuum) and even people that are allergic to pet dander can come into the house!

And yes, it was expensive - but totally worth it! We actually got a really good deal on the Dyson Ball (the one that you can get under beds and tables with). I kept reading the fine print on the Bed, Bath and Beyond coupons - you know the ones that you more than likely throw away because there are so many sent out. The coupons always stated that it couldn't be used on a Dyson product. I finally got one that didn't restrict Dyson purchases and rushed out to the store to get the vacuum. It was 20% off and I got a free car cleaning kit with it!

Thus far, we have had only clogging issues with it (because I love to vacuum everything, including the furniture, and I'll accidentally suck up some paper or something ) but nothing that we couldn't fix ourselves and we've had it for over a year now.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love our dyson. My MIL has an Orek she loves. It is very light weight (I think under 8lbs).

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love my Dyson!! I have 6 cats and I would never again be without my Dyson. I've had it for at least 3 years now and have never had a problem so I can't help with what to do if it needed repairs. I'm seriously thinking about getting the new smaller version to keep upstairs so I don't have to carry the other one around as much.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ann, I just posted a review of the Dyson slim (we bought it a week ago) here. It''s pricey but lots of credit card reward programs offer gift cards to Bed Bath and Beyond or Linens N Things, so perhaps you could do that? We got ours for $7 after using the rewards.
36.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure if Dyson vaccums are worth the price, but DH is planning to buy one within the next month or two. I''m not sure why he''s obsessing over the vaccum as he NEVER EVER cleans the floors, lol, but he even surprised me by looking at and comparing the models, and is considering "the animal" since we have four cats and that model is meant for households with pets.

We have a Bissell right now and I do not think it''s that great. In fact, it is a scam of sorts. . . I paid only $75 for it, but the filter lasts only a month, at the most, and I can only get them replaced by ordering at the Bissell site and each filter is $12 plus tax & shipping, so over the course of the year, it will cost $144+ for filters, alone. That is insane... Hopefully, the Dyson lives up to its reputation.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is ONE kenmore on consumer reports that gets RAVE reviews... we have a Hoover now that's good, and when I replace it I will look at consumer reports first for advice. The kenmore that is their top choice is 300 dollars. They reviewed Dyson as well... and this one scored better. Go to the website (you need to be a member but its REALLY affordable) and look at the reviews for yourself.

They haven't steered me wrong yet!

I've had Orrecks before... but after a few years they break, and they offer you a great deal on a new one... but I don't want to replace my vacuum every couple of years.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
One thing I love about my Dyson is you cake almost every bit off and wash it... so you can even clean IT! I found this out when I sucked up a whole box of baking soda out of a suitcase (oops...) and it was all powdery! So I rinsed out the canister. And then I took the filter out and rinsed that. Then I could take parts of the plastic tubing off and wash that too.

I adore my Dyson. It''s worth every penny.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2007 3:54:13 PM
Author: Stephanie
Dyson is amazing! We love it because we have a cat and a chinchilla, so there is fur everywhere in the house. The Dyson has no problem at all (unlike our last vacuum) and even people that are allergic to pet dander can come into the house!

And yes, it was expensive - but totally worth it! We actually got a really good deal on the Dyson Ball (the one that you can get under beds and tables with). I kept reading the fine print on the Bed, Bath and Beyond coupons - you know the ones that you more than likely throw away because there are so many sent out. The coupons always stated that it couldn''t be used on a Dyson product. I finally got one that didn''t restrict Dyson purchases and rushed out to the store to get the vacuum. It was 20% off and I got a free car cleaning kit with it!
Stephanie,
I''m so glad you mentioned the BB&B coupon as I just got one in the mail that doesn''t exclude Dyson from the 20% off (I would have never looked at the fine print as I always assume all the good brands are excluded from the discounts)! Pefect timing for me as I will be buying a new vacuum within the next month!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am a hoover windtunnel Self Propelled fan!!! It always does good in Consumer Reports too!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results