shape
carat
color
clarity

The Diaper Bag...that Isn''t?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hoping some of the bag & fashion savvy ladies of PS can help me out here...

we need to get some sort of diaper bag and my first thought was to get an LV tote that has pockets in and out so it could double as a diaper bag but also be a real purse when it's not needed for that anymore... and ummm yeah i admit i just wanted a new LV.
9.gif

but really its hard to mentally justify spending that much on something that will prob get trashed (the way i care for things!)....

so for the fashion savvy gals out there, any recommends on diaper bags that either don't look like diaper bags OR can double as a purse when done (or is a fab big tote purse that has pockets inside like a diaper bag?)? hoping to not spend more than $300.

my other issue with true diaper bags is they have all these little pockets for things and i am horrible with pockets. i can never remember what i put in what pocket so it's more of a waste of time for me to search through them. a big tote with 2 small pockets inside and maybe 1-2 side or large pockets outside is all i would need. and i often do the 'bag within a bag' thing for small items anyway so i can easily ID what is inside of it anyway. i can't be TOO organized.

thanks in advance for any recommends or things you have loved!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sippy cups WILL leak. Wet (vomit, water, milk, you name it) clothes will be left in there. It will get dirty. It will get abused. Keep that in mind. If you can afford to trash an LV go for it! If you will just be stressed and upset play it safe with something cheaper.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I completely agree with Tacori. Go function over fashion. You''ll be packing this bag with a lot that could stain or leak, including soiled onesies.

We''ve got a basic black wipeable Skip Hop that holds what we need, and I''d recommend something similar to all new parents. Before I gave birth, I too was looking for something cute and designer, but I''m so glad I didn''t spend the money.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Mara, congratulations! You probably don''t know who I am, but I remember your posts from when I was just a lurker, over a year ago!

As a mother of 4, my baby bag requirements were:

1) It had to stand up on it''s own - bottles & sippy cups will leak otherwise, an it''s just annoying when the bag schlumps over, especially when you''re hunting for something one-handed.
2) Multiple pockets ARE over-rated (I''m with you on that one!), but the elastic ones that hold bottles and cups upright are actually helpful. Everything else can go in plastic baggies.
3) It had to wipe-down easily. Nylon microfiber seemed like a good idea once - cheap, durable material. But it was impossible to get all the stains out, and even throwing it in the washing machine didn''t do the trick. Not to mention it sagged even more afterwards. I''m not saying you should buy one, but at least the outside of LVs seem like they''d be perfect. I don''t know what they''re like on the inside though.
4) Make sure it fits in the stroller, or can attach easily. I see moms with ginormous bags perched on the stroller canopy or half hanging out of the basket.

Once you get one, I hope you post it!

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
Mara,

Check out ebags.com. It''s a good place to start as they carry a lot of brands in a wide price range, including many of the popular designers for diaper bags. Also, they constantly have 25% sales so you can usually get a good deal. I am a bag whore and was tempted to buy an LV or similar bag, but was dissuaded by my friends who actually have kids telling me that it would get ruined. I decided to get a diaper bag that I like, but that doesn''t cost $1000 so I don''t lose my mind when a bottle leaks inside. There is a reason diaper bags have wipeable linings and LVs don''t. I''ll hold out and get a new LV when I am done toting around a diaper bag.

Here''s the one I ended up with (although I am sure I''ll have more than just one!). It''s by a company called Oioi that is pretty popular. I haven''t actually used it yet as my baby isn''t due for a few more weeks, but I have toted it around the house and am pleased so far.

diaperbag01.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks ladies! I appreciate all the advice and feedback. I def know that the bag will get messy...even if I was the cleanest person and I'm not at all. That is why I am really not leaning towards the LV.. at first I thought it would make so much sense but then later I thought why bother. I'd rather get a bag to be a real bag later as you all said.

And I have seen a fair amt of diaper bags online and stuff but I don't like a lot of them. I am not a pattern person, I'm a solid person typically but I like some design as well, it's so hard to explain haha. But I'd really love a tote that has some pockets. I will def check out eBags. Most of the bags I have seen are more messenger style.

I have a bag I got at Zara in Europe for $30 and I love it. It's thick grey shiny vinyl and it's a huge tote with a leather strap attached with big silver rings at the side. It's so fun. When I bought it, I thought THIS would be perfect for a diaper bag IF it actually had some pockets and stuff ...haha.

As for fitting into the stroller, well that is another purchase I am still waffling all over the place on, so who knows how big the basket will be hehe.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/15/2009 10:09:57 PM
Author: EBree
I completely agree with Tacori. Go function over fashion. You'll be packing this bag with a lot that could stain or leak, including soiled onesies.

We've got a basic black wipeable Skip Hop that holds what we need, and I'd recommend something similar to all new parents. Before I gave birth, I too was looking for something cute and designer, but I'm so glad I didn't spend the money.

COMPLETELY agree. I got a Coach large tote multipurpose bag so that I would have a stylish diaper bag that I could use for other purposes later. Big waste of $. I never use it as a diaper bag anymore because I want it to stay nice!

Any bag can be a diaper bag. You can buy the changing pad separately at target or bru, and just stick it in any tote bag. I use a messenger bag and it is PERFECT for me. Big compartment for the little guy's stuff, smaller compartment for my stuff so I don't have to carry a separate purse. I got it on sale for under $100 so if it is totally trashed after this, I won't be upset. I can wear it cross body which is great. It's got a padded strap which is comfy. It even has a spot for my cell phone and keys so in theory I won't lose them. Washable (although, it actually hasn't gotten dirty yet!) and actually sort of stylish, in a sporty sort of way. I love it.

I researched everything before and bought most everything before I had the baby. Really though, I didn't need to. I could have started off with something really basic and shopped for my diaper bag (and stroller too) after I had him and saw what my needs really were.

Can't wait to see what you get!

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
i am a total bag person and the minute we found out we were having a boy, the first time, DH took me to LV and bought me the pastel blue diaper bag. it''s an actual diaper bag. and i have used it 1 time and didn''t even manage to leave the house with it.
then after that, we ventured to chanel and got a diaper bag from there, and again, nothing. i didn''t even manage to get stuff in there before stuff started to get all unorganized.
and again, DH took me shopping for a new diaper bag and went to gucci. SUCKED again.

basically i refused to not have a designer diaper bag. and thankfully DH was more than supportive, but would i do it again? NOPE!

pockets are a good thing, you can keep your stuff separate from the baby stuff and keep bottles in pockets so if it did spill, the spill would be contained. and just to organize things, but too many pockets are when things start to get crazy.

so i just used one of my designer bags to carry stuff. i just made sure that stuff that could spill was put in a bag that was in another bag since the inside of the bags are not waterproof and cleaning them would be a PITA.

now that DS is older, i don''t need to carry much for him or he will carry his own stuff so i can use all my nice bags again without worrying too much, but with #2 on the way, that''s going to change quickly.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I hate all the pockets too, but they do come in handy. But now I use ziplock bags.

Right now I am using a medium size gucci tote that is longer vertically. . It has almost no pockets though except for one tiny one on the inside, so I use a bunch of ziplock gallon size bags to store things into. One for baby wipes, another for a change of clothes, another for five diapers, one more for toiletries(lotion, a&d, tissues, etc). Another for two bottles of milk and I tuck a vinyl changing pad on the side. Also I always carry the baby''s immunization in a ziplock bag in there as well, just in case I forget it when I go to the pediatrician, as least it''s already in there. And the ziplock prevents it from getting wet, dirty, etc.
The bag has a top zipper so everything closes up nicely and usually I carry the lv messenger for my stuff, so I can be hands free.
I like using the ziplocks bc I don''t worry about any spill or the inside being a mess. I hate it when the diapers are all over the place and misshapened, which is exactly what happens when you try to find something and can''t.

E B

Ideal_Rock
This is the bag we have in black. It isn't stylish, but it holds enough (I actually wish it was a bit bigger!) and you can wipe the inside and outside. I'm a bit of a germaphobe, but with a baby, this bag (and the changing pad) has seen a few restroom counters- sometimes wet ones. It's nice to be able to set it down without worrying and later, wipe it down.

I don't use the inner pockets much (they get lost underneath the blanket, onesies, 'hooter hider,' etc.) but the outer pockets are really nice for holding wipes and a few diapers, as well as my keys and phone. The outer pockets make it easy to locate the important things without having to dig inside the bag.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Forgot to mention - mine is Timbuk2 brand. Similar to this, but mine zips on top and so is easier to get into.
sporty diaper bag

this style also loops over my stroller nicely! much better than my coach does!

Kate Spade makes nice diaper bags which you can sometime find on sale for ~$200. I actually ordered and returned one - the color wasn't quite right - but they are nice if you want something designer but not a fortune.

Think too if Greg is going to carry the diaper bag ever or if he will want his own. My DH said he would carry the coach (it's solid black) or the Timbuk2. No way was he going to carry the Kate Spade. Of course it's a moot point since he has taken DS out alone maybe.... twice?? but in theory, nice to have a diaper bag you can both use.

Have you seen the Oi Oi brand? They have some cute ones. oi oi

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/16/2009 12:52:42 AM
Author: EBree
This is the bag we have in black. It isn''t stylish, but it holds enough (I actually wish it was a bit bigger!) and you can wipe the inside and outside. I''m a bit of a germaphobe, but with a baby, this bag (and the changing pad) has seen a few restroom counters- sometimes wet ones. It''s nice to be able to set it down without worrying and later, wipe it down.

I don''t use the inner pockets much (they get lost underneath the blanket, onesies, ''hooter hider,'' etc.) but the outer pockets are really nice for holding wipes and a few diapers, as well as my keys and phone. The outer pockets make it easy to locate the important things without having to dig inside the bag.

I;m a germaphobe too. What do you do about the changing pad in restroom changing tables? I had this elaborate system worked out to put the changing pad on top of a large disposable pad which I would then throw away, but I ran out of the disposable pads and they took up too much space so I stopped. Mostly, I try to change him in the back of my car instead of in restrooms when I can. I HATE to think of all the germs on my changing pad which I then stick back in my bag
6.gif
Would love tips if you have any!

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
FYI, Michael Kors large shoulder bags not only have the pocket situation you seek, but come in at a $300 price point. It might be worth checking out the Nordstrom website to see if any of the current styles suit you.

And just to play mind-games with a pregnant woman
2.gif
, if you just can''t get LV out of your mind, I will point out that the Deauville (in monogram canvas) and Riviera (in epi leather) are not only indestructible on the outside, but the inside of each are lined with a wipeable/washable lining. Each were originally designed for liquid/beauty product travel, but those features carry over nicely for the needs of a stylish new mom as well.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I don't have a kiddo, so I have no idea what you really need out of a baby bag, but I've been using a Coach Factory (so not on the Coach website) baby bag as a work bag for the last two years and I LOVE it. It has 4 pockets on the front (zip on front, big open pocket on back, hand-sized pockets on either narrow side), a zip pocket on the inside, small a line of small pockets (which just dawned on me are bottle-sized - I use them for pens, highlighters, dry erase markers, and calculators!), and then a big open area. Mine is the nylon that wipes off easily, all black. I'm pretty sure this is a standard piece that they always carry in the factory stores, and it was less than $200. It came with a matching diaper pad...which I still have no idea what to do with. I think one time I wrapped my laptop in it, haha.

When I was trying to find my bag on the coach website, I saw the new baby bags - omg, they're cute. But the pricetag is twice what they used to be - $500-$600. The patent one is TDF, IMO.

http://www.coach.com/online/handbags/-handbags_silhouettes_multieverything-10551-10051-5000000000000015032-en?t1Id=62&t2Id=5000000000000015032&tier=2

Libster

Brilliant_Rock
Have no suggestions for a diaper bag.....just wanted to say CONGRATS, so excited for you!!!!!
36.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
It may not be the most fashion conscious but I had a backpack that didn''t look like a diaper bag at all - it was nice (for a backpack) but mostly it was nice to have my arms free... there is enough with squirmy and/or tiny babies without having to have a bag on your arm - especially when they drop something lol

Congratulations Mara :)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks so much ladies for the feedback..!! i am still muddling through diff links and brands to see what each recommendation looks like. i hear everyone who says nylon or easily wipeable is great, but i am sooo over nylon haha. it just makes me think of kate spade and prada 5 years ago. hehee.

patent is def the rage now and i love it, and it would be easy to clean, so i might try to see if i can find a patent tote or something with pockets, the coach patent baby bags are pretty darn cute...but i'd like a tote style with a big zipper ideally or something. but yeah pricing is ridiculous..! i might make a trip to nordstrom rack and just see what they have in their outlet section... there are usually some pretty good deals there, just depends on selection.

fleur, you are a bad girl with your LV recommendation but i am going to DEF check that out. i have to say i am always impressed with how the monogram canvas stuff holds up, i beat the crap out of my stuff and the outside always looks the same and is easily wipeable. the inside is another story but if there is a nylon or wipeable inside surface, it would be great. a makeup bag or something meant to hold 'liquids' is a great idea.

michael kors totes do look pretty cute. and i think it was butterfly who said you are really into plastic bags. i am kind of the same way... to contain mess in my bag. i am used to carrying a big tote for my work laptop and within there is my tiny LV 'purse' which i can just pull out of there and go with if i need to. but within the big work tote are a few other bags for like makeup or similar. so i am used to doing the 'bag within a bag' thing and it works well for me... ideally it would be great if whatever i ended up with had that 'snap' on kind of thing that LV does so you can just snap your little bag into the diaper bag or do multiple bags etc.

i am not into any of the quilted bags even though they are cute and def baby like, they are just not me. and while a backback or something that fits on the body totally makes sense, i am not THAT sensible unfortunately. there are a few things i am thinking i am picky about and bags are one of them, if i am going to carry it for a while i want to like it (but maybe i won't when there is a smelly diaper stuffed inside?!?!)

i am also on nordie's site right now and wow some of their totes this year are super cute. kate spade has a red patent leather with zippers that is a tall tote which i am drooling over but it's almost $600. no thanks!

oh and if anyone has tips on how to be sanitary (to TDM's questions) while changing diapers in public... please pass it on. i was at this outdoor cafe the other day and this mom totally surprised me by busting out her changing pad on the floor of the outdoor cafe and changing her kid in like 30 seconds. i was impressed by the speed but also going 'ew that is on the ground'...where people walk and dogs sit all the time. do these changing pads have nylon bottoms so you can purell them or something???

thx for the congrats btw..!!
2.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use a Longchamp Le Pliage bag as a diaper bag with an organizer insert that holds bottles/etc. upright.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate to enable - but you know you can have more than one
31.gif

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I had 4 assorted handbags that had outer pockets for bottles and quick-get-to toys and the insides were split in two compartments. I would keep my purse things on one side and all baby things on the other. I kept a separate bag in my car that had additional supplies because I didn''t want to tote EVERYTHING with me. It took some creative folding and packing, but I am not the type to carry a diaper bag, so I did what it took to be cute. And, I''ve never had a bottle, sippy cup or any other thing spill in my bag. I still use all of my bags. I didn''t think I''d need a large bag once I didn''t need the bottles and things, but now I carry crayons, snacks, and extra mittens in the winter. I don''t have any super pricey bags like LV, but if you carry LV regularly, it''d probably be worth the investment because you will use it/them for a long time.

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I just got the LV Speedy 30. It worked great and it didn''t get trashed. I carried it as a handbag until 4 or 5 years ago [replaced it with the Ellipse] and it still looks good. BTW, DD is 21 now.

Mrs

Shiny_Rock
Mara,

I have several diaper bags and wanted to share with you my thoughts in case they're helpful.

One of them is a really cheap one that my mom got for DH. It's a nylon messenger type bag in camo with multiple big pockets inside and out and it has hardware on the bottom to keep it upright and to keep the fabric from touching the floor when it's placed down anywhere which is great. This bag is very light weight and easily fits over the handles of both my snap-n-go and my bob stroller. I use this one a lot when I'm out and about and very casual but it doesn't zip closed so when I pack it too full stuff kinda falls out the top.

I also have this Vera Bradley bag which is nice since it zips fully closed. The fact that it is washable is great since it doesn't have hardware to keep it from touching the ground when I put it down so it gets dirty easily. This one is nice and lightweight as well and also fits easily over all of my strollers. The strap is adjustable. I don't think this one is as obviously a diaper bag as the first one I described

Finally, I splurged on a Not Rational Hansel (on sample sale) since I wanted something that didn't look like a diaper bag that I could also use for bringing my pump to work. This one is heavier since it's leather but it is wonderful and makes me feel less like a harried mom and more put together. It's much bigger than my others and doesn't look like a diaper bag at all. Here's a link where you can see what they look like. As you can see they're not inexpensive but they're very nice. TGal has one as well and I know she really loves it.

hope this helps and congrats again!
Mrs

ps: the not rational bags do come in patents but in my experience the patent isn't as nice as the naked leather. I originally got the bag in a dark red patent and it was beautiful and very light weight but the leather started to tear immediately despite very limited use. They very kindly replaced it when I let them know how it wasn't holding up. The one I have now is a naked khaki leather which is heavier but much better quality.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks ladies..!! i love all the insight and hearing what everyone does that works for them.

mrs...i LOVE those not rational bags!!! they remind me of balenciaga but so much cheaper and an actual diaper bag! i haven''t seen these anywhere on any of the typical places online. seems like not too many places carry them! anyway now i have to try to find one on sale or something. for those of you who have it, any issues with space? though they look pretty big, they had a body shot on one of the sites and it was big.

i also saw another one on the tiny truffles site.. http://www.tinytruffles.com/product_info.php?products_id=438 ... it''s cheaper than the not rational but i think i like the NR better. but i do love the dark choco color on this one.

Mrs

Shiny_Rock
Date: 9/21/2009 12:19:51 AM
Author: Mara

mrs...i LOVE those not rational bags!!! they remind me of balenciaga but so much cheaper and an actual diaper bag! i haven''t seen these anywhere on any of the typical places online. seems like not too many places carry them! anyway now i have to try to find one on sale or something. for those of you who have it, any issues with space? though they look pretty big, they had a body shot on one of the sites and it was big.

Mara, I''m glad you like the NR bags! If I were you I would email Fabiana using the email provided in that link above and ask if the ones on that site are still on sample sale. I think she may very well have some still available for sale and if not she could let you know when the next sample sale will be.

In my experience the NR bags are VERY large so you wouldn''t have any trouble with space. I think the Gretel and Kelly are a little bigger than the Hansel though. One trouble I have with the bag though is the smaller straps don''t fit over my stroller''s handles. The longer strap does but because of how the longer strap attaches to the bag and since the leather is so soft, the bag kind of folds in on itself and hangs funny when I have it on the handle bars. It''s also much heavier than my others which can get tiresome when you have it loaded with baby stuff and you have it over your shoulder.

I think this retailer near you carries them in stock if you want to check them out: http://www.momsthewordmaternity.com/_stores/stores.php

I hope you find a bag you really love!
Mrs

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mara, I know I just responded privately about the NR bags, but I just saw this link so thought I''d post my response here in case any one else is interested. Mrs, I forgot the PSer who had the bag was you, sorry!
2.gif
Funny that you asked about not liking too many pockets on this thread. I found that I HATED tons of pockets in a bag. If I want organization, I throw things in baggies and pouches before I throw it in the bag. Most days, diapers get thrown in and crumpled up in my bag, but I really don''t care. The fact that this bag has no pockets makes it seem roomier...as big as the Fleurville Mothership but much easier to use. Knowing you are a balenciaga Day owner, I think you''ll like this bag. I say that because yes, I also have a balenciaga day (don''t ask) and that one and the NR Hansel are now the only two bags I use. And this coming from someone with enough Ju Ju Be diaper bags to kill people. I WOULD however, invest in a lightweight backpack because I find that sometimes, handsfree is a wondeful thing (in fact, when Amelia was little, I used my Ju Ju Be mini-be backpack a lot because all I needed was a couple of diapers, some wipes and her bottle.)

I''ll also post some pics I took back when Mrs was asking about how the bag held up.

---

Yes, I have a not rational hansel bag. I LOVE it. I use it as a purse and business brief too, ha. The thing is I think it really depends what leather it is. I have the "Wine Pearlized" and I think the leather is great. The leather leans on the thin side which is what keeps the bag light. However, I have seen some of the diesel and patent leathers and I really hated both. Another PSer bought the patent and it started falling apart on her early on. Fabiana at Not Rational exchanged it for her and I think she likes it now.

Mine is still in great shape and took all sorts of beatings along the way. Just keep in mind I am not an "organized" sort of girl. There''s not many pockets on the inside and I found that is fine with me. I just chuck things in and it can hold a lot. Plus the bottle pockets on the outside are handy. I''ve tried a ton of diaper bags and found this is the one that makes me feel the most non-momish.

Get on Fabiana''s email list. They JUST had a not rational VIP sale - I think they do them every quarter or so. I got my hansel for $295 - still more than what I would normally spend, but it''s been worth every penny for me. The key is seeing them in person, if you can. I''ll even admit I was disappointed with it when I first got it because the long across body strap seemed weird and it seemed not to sit right. Well, I don''t use that strap and once the bag was filled and broken in, it feels perfect.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK, here are pics of my bag. NEITHER of the color (with flash or without) show the true color, which is somewhere in between. A nice wine/burgundy.

First one, top of the bag to show you the straps are still firmly attached.

ADSC_0191.JPG

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bottom of bag

ADSC_0193.JPG

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bottom of bag with flash so you can see the color difference with flash.

BADSC_0198.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results