clarity

remanufactured Bissell ProHeat 2x carpet washer #9400R/9200R

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Summary:
Bissell ProHeat 2x model 9400R, remanufactured
where: Ollie's Bargain Outlet retail stores
price: $127.99
performance: Stellar, and much easier than getting a rental unit. And it's CLEAN, and you own it, to be used at will. :lol:
warranty: 30 days Ollie's and 90 days Bissell
Troubleshooting: Free download of the Service Manual for Bissell ProHeat 2x 8920, 9200, 9300, 9400 here, plus you can find YouTube videos, too:
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/vacuumcleanerbacgs/bissell-proheat-2x-repair-guide.pdf
Tells you exactly how to troubleshoot common problems and how to replace parts. Is probably also close enough for some problems with the modern 66Q4 and 9500 ProHeat 2x, too, although those models might be sightly different.

I got a great deal on a remanufactured Bissell ProHeat 2x carpet washer from Ollie's. $127.99 plus tax is the current price. See Olliesbargainoutlet for store locations. Ollie's has Bissell 9200R and 9400R in my locale. They also have the remanufactured spot cleaners (Green Machine and Spotbot Pet) and a couple other models of Bissell carpet washers including one with the lift-off feature so it can also be a spot cleaner. I picked the 9400R because of more brush rows and a newer model than 9200R, but all of the ProHeat 2x series has a pretty long and decent track record. They had a couple of Hoovers, but they are known to be problematic ones.

Regular price on the Bissell 9200R & 9400R is now $127.99, then I used a 25% off one item coupon to get mine for $102 out the door, after tax. 30 days warranty from Ollie's and 30 days from Bissell. Pays for itself in 3-4 days, presuming a $25/day for a rental unit. Ollie's sent me a 10% off coupon in the mail, so I bought a second 9400R for my mother.

Works great. I have no complaints. Some online reviews said doesn't suck up the water. You have to move it slowly and give it time to extract. You also must hook the tank lid onto the tank base at the front, and click the latch shut on the back. And set the round knob to Floor, not Tools. The other most common cause is lint or other debris blocking the screen on the tank lid. I also recommend have a full tank of clean water onboard when you are extracting because that extra weight helps push the machine down on the carpet and pick up water better.

My other recommendations are start with a well-vac'd rug first. Don't put too much water onto the rug: It can lead to seam-splitting and also the less you put down, the less you have to try to suck back up, lol. Creep the machine and watch the fluid coming up into the intake (the lid) at the front; look for bubbles or water collecting, and then sometimes move the machine forward or back only 1/4-3/8" and you'll pick up a whole slug of water. Done right, you can dry the carpet as well if not better than a good ShopVac can. You sometimes have to park the Bissell in one spot and just let it vac up water if you've really wet the carpet. My carpets finished up drier than the commercial cleaner left them.

Of course, you'll need to pretreat and maybe prescrub any stains or heavily soiled areas. I bought a Green Machine #1400-5 a few years ago. I use that on the problem areas, then the 9400 for the whole floor.

Some reviews said the tank was hard to empty or they didn't like the design. I don't have any problem with it. Carry it like a bucket to the bathtub or laundry tub, then dump it into the toilet. Or take it outside and dump it out there. Yeah, if your carpet is smelly or filthy, the dirty H2O is going to be that way, too. :lol:

9400 (black cherry / burgundy) and 9200 are essentially the same, except the 9200 (dark blue) has fewer rows of bristles on the brushes. The replacement brush is the same for either model and it has 6 rows, giving you 12 rows as advertised for the 9400 series. These refurbs don't have the extra tools: Turbo Brush, crevice tool, and a bare floor tool, etc. Imo, you don't need them. Maybe get the 6" stair brush that can also be used for upholstery, and forget the rest. Amazon.com reviews called the Turbo brush weak, said the brushes hardly spin, don't waste the money. The hand tool that comes with the 9400 is adequate to run along the baseboards (in my experience); no need for a crevice tool. Amazon reviews on the bare floor tool said the sponge part on it wears out very fast and it's a waste of money.

Bissell has a new series sold at Lowes and other places. There are complaints that the "Pet" models of that series scrub too vigorously and are hard on rugs but there's no way to adjust that. The 9400R is just right, imo. Fluffs and scrubs but doesn't wear out the carpet.

The Hoover Power Scrub Deluxe Carpet Washer Model # FH50150 is a current model and probably the best of the Hoovers, if you want to buy a brand new machine with a 2year warranty. But it was released in late 2012 or early 2013 and there is no longevity data on it yet. The Bissell ProHeat 2x has a wider path than that particular Hoover, and it also weighs more.

I bought a carpet blower to get the carpets dry because there's no air conditioning in this house (rural house, lol) and it's such a damp and rainy summer. It might be possible to rent those. I bought one, because I have a lot of carpet to clean.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Re: remanufactured Bissell ProHeat 2x carpet washer #9400R/9

Adding:
really long cord
doesn't draw too much power for older wiring
has a rinse feature (very nice)
soap tank is separate from the clean water tank

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

Tried the second Bissell 9400R yesterday. It might be even better than the first one, lol. Has better suction, I think, although both machines I bought are good.

I purchased the 6" stair nozzle on ebay at about $12 shipped. As it turns out, I already own a Turbo Nozzle that came with the Little Green Machine model 1400-5 that I must have bought back in 2007. I dug the Little Green's box out of the basement to retrieve the user manual, and there was the Turbo Brush and the holder for it, and some hose clip thingy, still in the box. :lol: Same nozzles fit the ProHeat 2x as that Little Green Machine. There's nothing like getting $30 of free tools to swap back and forth between carpet machines. Sometime when I get time and dry weather I will try out the Turbo Nozzle and see whether it's worth anything or not.

So far, I am very happy with the performance of the remanufactured 9400R ProHeat 2x machines. There's a Hoover for $149 at Home Depot that gets good reviews and also has a 2 year warranty, i believe, if you want a brand new machine. I went cheap on purpose, since I don't use carpet cleaners more than 2-3 times per year on average.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

I tried the Turbo nozzle. There's a slider bar on it that toggles back and forth between having suction or having the brush roll turning. You don't get suction + moving brush -- it's either/or. Cleaner or water can be sprayed regardless.

The bristles are not very vigorous. Might be good for some things, mostly light cleaning, like upholstery ,because they are kind of gentle. The suction isn't great with this tool. You must switch to the regular nozzle if you want good liquid extraction.

Same nozzle fits both the little Green and the full-size Proheat 2x. Might fit the other Proheat models, too. Check the part number.

Getting this nozzle free was okay, but I would not pay the $30 or so that it goes for on ebay. Everything that his tool can do, you can do using the cheaper nozzles that do not have a brush roll. This tool is more gimmick than anything.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results