shape
carat
color
clarity

Premium denim.... is it worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
So, usually I buy my jeans at Ann Taylor Loft, Banana Republic, etc, and usually I buy all my clothes on sale. I save my splurges for jewelry and purses!

Anyway, a friend recently convinced me to try on some premium denim at Nordstrom and I must admit I loved the good jeans! I bought a pair of Sevens, the Bootcut (have not cut the tag or worn them yet) and I also really liked a pair of Joe's Jeans (the Honey fit) that I may try and track down online.

I've never spent $155 on jeans before - usually more like $50. Jeans do tend to last forever (my current favorite pair is 3 yrs old and still going strong). My workplace is casual so I get a lot of use out of my jeans.

What do you guys think - for someone who is normally a bargain shopper, is it worth splurging on a pair (or two) of really good jeans? Or do you think all the jeans are made pretty much the same and you are just paying for the label?

Do you have any favorite places to find premium denim for less?

I actually spotted a pair of Joe's at TJMaxx but alas, not my size!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
tandogmom - I am a HUGE fan of the premium denim, and I totally think its worth the splurge. You can sometimes find deals online at SmartBargains.com or at Bluefly.com, but its generally very limited styles and sizes.

My favorite full-price premium denim shopping is at Bloomingdale''s - they have a really good selection, especially of petite designer jeans, which is a must for me personally.

I think they are worth it if they make you feel like a $1million - in other words, if they fit perfectly, and are comfortable, and they make you look great, then IMO they are totally worth the price. In my experience they do tend to be more flattering as well - I have jeans from Ann Taylor and BR, and they just don''t do the wonderful things for my figure that my favorite pair of SFAM does.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Ambergretchen! I really appreciate your opinion! What is SFAM? I think I have a lot to learn about premium denim!! I love Bluefly and Smartbargains, but I agree that they never seem to have much in my size denim-wise.

I know you lost weight a while back (and you look great!!!), so could I ask what you think about this: I have lost about 20 lb and gotten to a plateau that's lasted a year or so... so I may be stuck here but I'd like to lose 20 more lb. I seem to be able to maintain but not lose more at the moment. Maybe I should try and lose more and then get a pair in my smaller size, but what if it never happens... maybe I should just cut the tag and enjoy! Also, I think it I lost even 10 more this size would still fit (depending where the weight came off from!) What do you think? I am leaning towards cutting the tag and enjoying them!

ETA DUH, SFAM=Sevens for All Mankind. Glad you like them too!!!

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
I love premium denim and I totally think it''s worth the splurge! That said, I am a HUGE bargain shopper. I usually get most of my jeans as soon as the sales start from saks, neimans, shopbop, nordies, etc. unless it''s a pair that I think might sell out or that I need. At least 99% of the jeans that I have bought I have paid well under $100 for, all from reputable department stores. I figure I can have more if I don''t pay retail and I tell hubby I''m saving money!
9.gif
Although he really like to beg to differ with me on that one!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Cool - I''ll watch for the sales then! Thanks 777_ldy! We do have a saks outlet and I looked there, but everything that fit me was waaaay too low rise for me! I''ll keep an eye on the sales at the regular department stores. I love bargain shopping, seriously. I was embarrassed to tell DH how much the Sevens cost (he said he did not want to know!)

777_LDY

Brilliant_Rock
I'm not crazy about low rise jeans either. I did invest in a high rise pair last year that I loved. You will start to see the higher rises in the outlets this year though since they have been out for a while now. Definitely sign up for store emails because it's much easier to find your size online. Stores only carry limited quantities and as soon as the sales start they disappear fast.

ETA: Oh yeah, and the Off 5th store sends out coupons all the time too if they have your email. Sometimes 25%-30%!! Can you tell I love bargain shopping too!
3.gif
Congrats on loosing the weight!! I say you cut the tag and enjoy because you deserve it!! If they get too big just sell them and buy another pair!
9.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Thanks 777_ldy! We are totally on the same page with the bargain hunting - I get emails about every single day from smartbargains and off fifth! Sometimes the savings are great. I love buying gifts from smartbargains also. Their small leather accessories can be really nice gifts. They have great stuff for the home too. I hate buying clothes or shoes online unless I know the brand and style will work for me, though, because I'm picky about fit and I hate returning things!

I'm glad the low rise is not the only option because it is not flattering or comfortable for me (or most people who are out of their teenage years and wear above a size 4, I suspect!)

alj

Rough_Rock
I feel like once you get your first designer jeans, it''s hard to go back!

If you have a Nordstrom Rack in your area? All of the jeans are $99 or less.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2008 11:53:13 AM
Author: alj
I feel like once you get your first designer jeans, it''s hard to go back!

If you have a Nordstrom Rack in your area? All of the jeans are $99 or less.

I don''t think we do, but we have an Off 5th (saks!) They have great stuff sometimes.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I love my premium denim also. It''s really hard for me to find jeans that fit in the waist so when I find a pair that fits, I pretty much stick with them. Right now Japanese denim is really big.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2008 11:27:32 AM
Author: TanDogMom
Thanks Ambergretchen! I really appreciate your opinion! What is SFAM? I think I have a lot to learn about premium denim!! I love Bluefly and Smartbargains, but I agree that they never seem to have much in my size denim-wise.

I know you lost weight a while back (and you look great!!!), so could I ask what you think about this: I have lost about 20 lb and gotten to a plateau that''s lasted a year or so... so I may be stuck here but I''d like to lose 20 more lb. I seem to be able to maintain but not lose more at the moment. Maybe I should try and lose more and then get a pair in my smaller size, but what if it never happens... maybe I should just cut the tag and enjoy! Also, I think it I lost even 10 more this size would still fit (depending where the weight came off from!) What do you think? I am leaning towards cutting the tag and enjoying them!

Hey - I would stick with at least the one pair for now, and see how it goes with the weight loss. I know you have worked really hard to take off that first 20 lbs, and like you said, its been a long plateau, so its possible your body just really wants to stay where it is.

In the meantime though, whichever way that goes, you totally deserve to feel hot in your jeans, and having one special pair (at least) really makes a difference, in my experience.

Also, FYI, the saleslady probably told you this already, but be aware that certain brands stretch out a lot. SFAM is one of them - you want to buy them so they feel really too tight then you first try them on, and they will stretch out to perfect. Same with Joe''s Jeans. The other brands I''ve owned (Paige, Citizens of Humanity) haven''t stretched out as much, but these two brands seem to stretch a lot for whatever reason.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock

I know you lost weight a while back (and you look great!!!), so could I ask what you think about this: I have lost about 20 lb and gotten to a plateau that''s lasted a year or so... so I may be stuck here but I''d like to lose 20 more lb. I seem to be able to maintain but not lose more at the moment. Maybe I should try and lose more and then get a pair in my smaller size, but what if it never happens... maybe I should just cut the tag and enjoy! Also, I think it I lost even 10 more this size would still fit (depending where the weight came off from!) What do you think? I am leaning towards cutting the tag and enjoying them!

Hey - I would stick with at least the one pair for now, and see how it goes with the weight loss. I know you have worked really hard to take off that first 20 lbs, and like you said, its been a long plateau, so its possible your body just really wants to stay where it is.

In the meantime though, whichever way that goes, you totally deserve to feel hot in your jeans, and having one special pair (at least) really makes a difference, in my experience.

Also, FYI, the saleslady probably told you this already, but be aware that certain brands stretch out a lot. SFAM is one of them - you want to buy them so they feel really too tight then you first try them on, and they will stretch out to perfect. Same with Joe''s Jeans. The other brands I''ve owned (Paige, Citizens of Humanity) haven''t stretched out as much, but these two brands seem to stretch a lot for whatever reason.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2008 4:08:59 PM
Author: AmberGretchen

I know you lost weight a while back (and you look great!!!), so could I ask what you think about this: I have lost about 20 lb and gotten to a plateau that's lasted a year or so... so I may be stuck here but I'd like to lose 20 more lb. I seem to be able to maintain but not lose more at the moment. Maybe I should try and lose more and then get a pair in my smaller size, but what if it never happens... maybe I should just cut the tag and enjoy! Also, I think it I lost even 10 more this size would still fit (depending where the weight came off from!) What do you think? I am leaning towards cutting the tag and enjoying them!

Also, FYI, the saleslady probably told you this already, but be aware that certain brands stretch out a lot. SFAM is one of them - you want to buy them so they feel really too tight then you first try them on, and they will stretch out to perfect. Same with Joe's Jeans. The other brands I've owned (Paige, Citizens of Humanity) haven't stretched out as much, but these two brands seem to stretch a lot for whatever reason.

Thanks Amber. Actually the salesgirl didn't tell me, but my friend did. I was sort of in between sizes and got the larger which fits perfectly right now. Maybe I should go back and compare and get the smaller. I hate that feeling when they stretch and are too big mid-day! (and here I thought only the cheaper jeans did that!)

Do they go back to tight after you wash them and stretch each time you wear them, or is it a one time stretching process?

Thanks for saying I deserve to feel hot in my jeans - you are right! (muffin top be darned!)

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2008 2:49:07 PM
Author: pennquaker09
I love my premium denim also. It''s really hard for me to find jeans that fit in the waist so when I find a pair that fits, I pretty much stick with them. Right now Japanese denim is really big.

Thanks Penn!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...I''d tend to go with the smaller size, personally. They do shrink up when washed but usually not to the point of the original jeans size - its (in my experience) usually somewhere in between. But then they stretch out within a couple of hours of wear out of the wash.

Definitely muffin top be darned - you can always try to hide it with a strategically shaped blouse or a cute belt too
2.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2008 8:25:20 PM
Author: AmberGretchen
Hmmm...I''d tend to go with the smaller size, personally. They do shrink up when washed but usually not to the point of the original jeans size - its (in my experience) usually somewhere in between. But then they stretch out within a couple of hours of wear out of the wash.

Definitely muffin top be darned - you can always try to hide it with a strategically shaped blouse or a cute belt too
2.gif

Good thinking on the muffin top hiding! Maybe I ought to go try on the smaller size and see what I think. Are you talking, they should be sort of snug, or they should be barely-zippable? Thanks a million Amber!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I think it all depends on the fit. I have tried to buy Paige and Rockin'' Republic and Seven jeans but they just don''t fit me right. I found a great pair of AG jeans, but gave them away because I lost weight. My all time favs are a pair of Angel jeans I found on sale at Macy''s for $20 (because I didn''t have to hem them and I can wear them with tennis shoes and sandals) and all of my Lucky jeans. No matter what brand I try on, nothing fits me better and is more flattering that a pair of Lucky jeans. I have never paid over $100 for a pair of Lucky.

Well, come to think of it, I did quasi-steal one pair of my daughter''s jeans that I wear to the Charger Games and I think those were super expensive. But she got those from her rich friend.
30.gif

CaféHummingbird

Rough_Rock
I buy my jeans at New York and Company. Seriously. They seem to be the only ones who make jeans with a higher rise and ample thigh room.

ETA: I can usually go in and they have regular, petite and longs in nearly every size and color. If they don't have the size I need, they will call another store and have them held for me.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hee hee, I actually have one pair of Joe''s Jeans and I really love them. I bought them in early 2007 and am still wearing them today... I am a total jeans girl and live in denim, but the Joe''s are my "dress" jeans, ya know? They are the "Honey" fit, and they are a super dark wash, which I don''t normally wear but makes them dressy, I really like them. All my other jeans I got from the Gap or from department stores (Silvers or Lucky''s). I was so glad I bought the Joe''s. They could''ve been any brand or any price around $200 but the point was that they fit me really well and were super dark.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2008 4:40:28 AM
Author: monarch64
Hee hee, I actually have one pair of Joe''s Jeans and I really love them. I bought them in early 2007 and am still wearing them today... I am a total jeans girl and live in denim, but the Joe''s are my ''dress'' jeans, ya know? They are the ''Honey'' fit, and they are a super dark wash, which I don''t normally wear but makes them dressy, I really like them. All my other jeans I got from the Gap or from department stores (Silvers or Lucky''s). I was so glad I bought the Joe''s. They could''ve been any brand or any price around $200 but the point was that they fit me really well and were super dark.

hi Monnie, that''s so funny those were the exact Joes that I really liked, the Honey in dark wash!

OK so consensus is it is worth it to have at least one good pair of denim. Thanks everyone!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2008 2:16:12 AM
Author: CaféHummingbird
I buy my jeans at New York and Company. Seriously. They seem to be the only ones who make jeans with a higher rise and ample thigh room.

ETA: I can usually go in and they have regular, petite and longs in nearly every size and color. If they don't have the size I need, they will call another store and have them held for me.

Thanks Cafe Hummingbird. I used to shop there a lot but kind of stopped. I did have a nice pair of jeans from there but they shrunk (length, I'm tall) and I think I gave them away. Glad they work for you though!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2008 1:34:23 AM
Author: miraclesrule
I think it all depends on the fit. I have tried to buy Paige and Rockin'' Republic and Seven jeans but they just don''t fit me right. I found a great pair of AG jeans, but gave them away because I lost weight. My all time favs are a pair of Angel jeans I found on sale at Macy''s for $20 (because I didn''t have to hem them and I can wear them with tennis shoes and sandals) and all of my Lucky jeans. No matter what brand I try on, nothing fits me better and is more flattering that a pair of Lucky jeans. I have never paid over $100 for a pair of Lucky.

Well, come to think of it, I did quasi-steal one pair of my daughter''s jeans that I wear to the Charger Games and I think those were super expensive. But she got those from her rich friend.
30.gif

Miracles, it must be nice to be able to share clothes w/ your daughter! My mom and I have totally different styles, plus I grew taller than her when I was around 14... bummer! I''ll check out Lucky sometime. I think they have a store near me. I have never heard of Angel, will watch for those too!

CaféHummingbird

Rough_Rock
I''m so short I doubt anyone would notice if they shrank.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium denim is worth the price! ALL of my premium jeans have lasted years and the last two times I bought cheap jeans (about two years ago at the Gap), they start to shrink up funny, stretch out in the rear end, and just loose their shape, and that was only after about four months.

I LOVE clothes, but mostly have to stick with non-designer brands for shirts, so I find that if I buy a simple t-shirt even at Old Navy or a flowy shirt from Free People and pair it w/designer jeans, I get more of a designer look!!! lol I just like to be sure the shirt is fresh and new. It perplexes me when people run around town in gross old jeans or sweats and wear/carry along one expensive designer item - jeans OR say, a Coach purse, as if that will negate their crappy outfit. You still got to be clean and put together even if you are on a tight clothing budget.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/19/2008 12:58:00 PM
Author: MC
Premium denim is worth the price! ALL of my premium jeans have lasted years and the last two times I bought cheap jeans (about two years ago at the Gap), they start to shrink up funny, stretch out in the rear end, and just loose their shape, and that was only after about four months.

I LOVE clothes, but mostly have to stick with non-designer brands for shirts, so I find that if I buy a simple t-shirt even at Old Navy or a flowy shirt from Free People and pair it w/designer jeans, I get more of a designer look!!! lol I just like to be sure the shirt is fresh and new. It perplexes me when people run around town in gross old jeans or sweats and wear/carry along one expensive designer item - jeans OR say, a Coach purse, as if that will negate their crappy outfit. You still got to be clean and put together even if you are on a tight clothing budget.

I wish I could remember how to highlight. That last bit applies to me more than I care to admit, but only b/c I run half my errands on the way to or from the gym, so I'm running around in yoga pants or jogging shorts, carrying my nice bag :)

ETA: At least most of my gym clothes are pretty cute, and I *know* I'm not impressing anyone!! :) :)

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I've generally found its best to be not *quite* at the barely zipping stage but pretty close with brand new Sevens or Joes - the other brands, I tend to go a bit larger.

ETA: try to feel how thick the denim is - the thinner denims tend to stretch a bit more compared to the thicker kinds.

LitigatorChick

Brilliant_Rock
I love my designer jeans. Most of all for me is I am able to find jeans that are long enough - Rock & Republics have a 36 inch inseam - yahhhh!! I just find that they fit better, hold their shape better, etc.

Couple of words of warning - first, they do stretch out as mentioned above, so buy on the snug side. Second, be carefull when buying online. I have found that a size 24 of Rock & Republics fits and the very next pair of R&Rs (same style) does not fit.

I am surprised by the low-rise hating. I love my low rise jeans!!!

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
I love designer jeans too, and I am a DIE HARD sales/deals girl, but when it comes to a good pair of jeans, sometimes a splurge is in order. I particularly like the Sevens and Citizens that I have. You can get good deals on them too if you look. I found my favorite pair at Marshall''s of all places. My sister found some WAY CUTE Rock & Republics at the Nordstrom''s Clearance Center. Anyway, the fit is usually just amazing. It''s hard to find jeans that are Long enough, small enough in the waist, and roomy enough in the butt, but for some reason designer jeans understand curves and height. I search around TJ Maxx, Marshalls, Off 5th, Nordstrom''s Rack, and places like that from time to time. Sometimes you get lucky.

I won''t say once you buy them, you''ll never go back. I have a SUPER dark, Super cute pair of jeans from AT Loft that fit PERFECTLY, and were on Sale to boot ($31!). People are surprised when they ask me what they are b/c I usually wear my others.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Totally worth it IF you spend the time to find a proper fitting pair. IMO that is the best reason to buy designer denim, the fit is just unbeatable when you find the right jeans.

Rosebud8506

Brilliant_Rock
100% worth it! I find that the material is SO much better than if I buy at Express or Limited, etc. They do not stretch out on me at all (my fav''s are Citizens of Humanity, the Ingrid style) vs. other cheaper jeans. I bought my first pair 3 years ago and they are still fitting perfectly. Buy a size smaller than what you would think you are (ask for help when at the store, the sales girls should know the effects on certain types of denim) premium denim tends to be a bit snug when you try them on, but they stretch out to fit you perfectly after a few hours. Make sure you launder them inside out and air dry. I never ever throw them in the drier. Helps to keep them like new
1.gif

We have a Nordstrom Rack near us, and they do tend to have a lot of Sevens, Paige''s and Joe''s to name a few all for $99.99 or less - so yes, look around!! It is worth the extra hunting once you know what brand you tend to favor.

Only negative I have found on designer jeans is that I am shorter (5''5" to be exact), and unless I plan on wearing super wedges or higher heeled boots or shoes, the jeans are very long on me. I can''t really wear them with flats or flip flops unless you have them tailored. Still worth it though!! Good luck hunting!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results