shape
carat
color
clarity

Possible V-day outfit. Does it work?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Thanks to those who gave me some ideas on my hunt for a Valentine''s day outfit. It seems that warm winter dress & sexy don''t go together so I am trying to go a different avenue. I ordered this dress from Anthropologie on clearance. Then I need sweater & shoes....see next posts for those possibilities. Let me know if this all works together? I''m trying to be a little bit funky rather than just formal dressy. I''d like to wear tights with the dress....

AstronomyDress1.JPG

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
It''s a little too matchy matchy for me. I posted my suggestion on your other thread, but I will post it here again. I think it will look more funky fun with a red cardigan and red shoes.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
qtiekki--I did read your red idea after I was done posting this. Might be interesting...I normally don''t wear much red but I''d certainly be willing to try it on. The shoes you posted are both fun!

What if I did a purple/lavendar sweater instead?

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I think purple/lavender sweater would work better. I would probably do a darker sweater to make the dress look less springy, but that''s just me.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I agree on making it look less springy...maybe a shade or 2 darker than the shoes.....?

What color tights? Those shoes seem like they need more than just standard nude hose....

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ixnay on the tightsay!!!!

That is a spring dress, girlfriend....pairing it with a thick ole winterish sweater and clunky shoes with tights will not be an appealing package I am sorry to say...

It''s very hard to turn other-season items into the season you want them to be in...I honestly would not do anything with that blue dress other than a very light see filmy crocheted or similar wrap or sweater and heeled sandals.

I know it doesn''t sound warm but that dress is not made to be a winter warmth item IMO!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Tootsie....it's a dress for a dinner! While I think it's so sweet that you're really into it...relax!... says the old married hag :) You're not married yet are you..or you're a newly wed? ? LOL J/K...
11.gif
Ahhh, those were the days hahaha...

Go to the store and try some stuff on....Get yourself a fitted sleeveless crew or boat neck black dress (a dime a dozen) and a pair of black stiletto boots...and a wrap if you're cold...Sexy sexy!!!!!!!! I can hear ya sizzlin' from here!!!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I can''t see pix too well on this ever f''d up lap top...still waiting for hubby to bring the external cd rom drive....SO, I can''t see fabric and prints too well...from banana ... and well priced.

I would like it a tad more fitted at the bottom though :)

bananashift.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, MMM, I like that dress! You could dress it up or dress it down. Great suggestion!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehehe gosh we've been married 2 years and i don't plan my outfits out either...i think that ended after our first year.
9.gif

i actually shop when i have to and then i load up so i usually have something in my closet that i can pair with something else for a snazzy dinner look.

i love mmm's idea ID! just not the tights...i can't imagine tights on anyone other than a schoolgirl with a mini checked skirt.
9.gif

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t remember if any of you remember this thing, but here''s the Capt''s preference for V-Day attire.
9.gif

promdress.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL Capt you naughty man!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
No, def''y no tights....you need to see some skin on the legs to break it up!
Geez, maybe i NEED to start planning! I''ve only been married 4 years in march and I''m already an old married hag LOL
LOL...NICE cap''n. NICE.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Or maybe if you want a little color? Call me crazy, but I love this...something about the neck line and how it shows off the shoulders and arms (which is why I can''t wear it LOL)....This is covered but tight...so very sexy...again, with boots. Love it. A kay unger so a wee bit expensive but you get the idea...

Let us know what you end up wearing! I''m sure you''ll have a fab night no matter what!

kayunger.jpg

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Ok, everyone thank you for the candid advice. Yes, I'm a newlywed--just married in July 05.

The dress was actually in Anthropologie's winter collection for the holidays and they showed it with purple shoes and brownish textured pantyhose (I guess tights was the wrong word!) so that was where I started thinking I might be able to make it work for winter. But realistically, it would probably look best with silver sandals and a light wrap if anything at all. I'll let you know when I get the dress.

The other dress ideas are good. I have a basic black dress similar to the one posted, that I have worn on lots of "dates" with my husband when we were engaged so I was looking to do something a bit different. My figure is a bit too much for the green/black dress--I'm just too curvy and not tall enough.

I have one other option out of my closet that might work. It's a red paisley print dress that has 3/4 length sleeves, a scoop neck and a flare skirt that ends just above my knees. I tried it on with my brown suede boots and it works. (The red is dark with browns & golds in the paisely). Only issue is it is a bit tight and has no stretch. Married life has not been good for dieting. So, if I can loose a few more pounds in 2 weeks it would work.....

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I am terrible at picking out outfits, I usually wait until the last minute or just borrow something from my sister, especially if it''s a wedding. I feel like spendin $200 (or more) for an outfit to a wedding is a waste of money as you know you will only wear it one time and probably just buy something new for another wedding.

I am not to crazy about the outfit that you picked, but I am the wrong person to ask as it''s just not my style. Especially the pastel shoes. Definitely I would get something darker.
But then again, that''s my opinion and I am sure you would not like something I would pick out either!

As a matter of fact, I have a Chinese New Year''s party to go to today with about 30+ coworkers and I have not even decided on what to wear. I am walking around the house in a robe. I haven''t decided on a bag either! I figure it will eventually come to me in the last hour!
And when Valentines Day comes, I am definitely wearing jeans.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IslandDreams, I remember seeing that outfit in the anthropologie catalog. I thought it was adorable. I also live in the midwest and tights are sometimes a requirement! You got a great deal on that dress and if you can make it work and fit your own personal style, which I''m sure your hubby appreciates, I say go for it!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have just gotten so simple lately in clothing it''s frightening! and you think it''d be cheaper but it''s really not! hahaa...

hmmm putting myself in these shoes here i would do something like my cropped wool juicy gauchos with stiletto or high heeled boots in a choco brown and then a tight thin weave choco brown or similar theory sweater that shows off my figure. throw on a thin, wrapped pale blue scarf for some color. and of course my LV!
9.gif

mmm this has got me thinking about valentine''s dinner...gotta make some ressies.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Most of my clothes are very simple. I pretty much spend every day at work in pants, thin sweater & jacket with very basic shoes. I get tired of the endless parade of black, brown & grey this time of year.

The dress will get delivered tomorrow. The shoes are from ZAPPOS and they are actually already on my doorstep. Gotta love the overnight delivery! If they don''t work, they''ll go back.

A local friend suggested putting a purple pin on the sweater if I decide to go that route to tie in the purple in the shoes.

We''ll see. If all else fails, I can always go back to the standard black dress....

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Well, I got the dress last night and it actually fits which is a major miracle because most dresses don't fit me well. It's a bit low cut for my town and my figure so I might have to work on that a bit. It is definitely more of a winter-weight dress than a spring dress. The skirt is 3 layers of fabric. There are a lot of clear sequins outlining the flowers which give it a very dressy look. I'm a bit concerned that it might be TOO dressy for most things in my life. It would definitely be over the top for any restaurant in my area.

That being said the dress is really beautiful. It definitely gives me the "princess" feeling. It's one of those dresses I want to keep but not sure I should. I'm really not sure a sweater would work at all since it is so dressy. Any other ideas to make me warmer?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are dead set on wearing it as winter...(the colors for me just scream spring, regardless of fabric, no one gets close enough to touch it and if you have snow in your area it may look funny to be out in sprintime garb but anyway!!)...what about a nice thick pashmina in a chocolate brown or similar. You can wrap it around yourself a time or two and they keep you very warm, they aren''t cheap but it would be a wardrobe staple. Then I''d also pair it with dark brown stiletto''d boots, not springtime heels.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Soooo, Island Dreams....you planning on wearing your new caribbean blue pendant with your dress???? Hee hee, I thought I remembered you from another "project!" Now I think I know why you are so attracted to this dress! You just had your heart set on finding something to wear with your JEWELRY!!!! You need to post this in the "you know you''re a PS''r" thread!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Hee, hee...that was exactly the plan to match my Caribbean blue pendant! And hopefully earrings....PrecisionGem cut me some rounds that I have to pick up at the post office after work. I''m really hoping they are the right color.

I went home at lunch and tried on the dress again. I found some darker purple shoes and some grey fishnet stockings. It all works in a sort of funky way. But, it looks like something a girl in her early 20s would wear and I am almost 35. I still think it is too dressy to wear around here and I have a hard time justifying the cost for something I won''t get much use out of. So, I''m probably going to send it back.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I knew it!
face1.gif
What if you keep the dress for a vacation or wedding for a spring or summer thing? You got such a great deal on it! I am always looking for fun dresses in the $50-$100 range. And hey, I wear a size 10...you could always send it my way, ha ha!

But seriously. Could you wear your pendant and (possibly) new earrings with something brown, like the wrap dress you had mentioned before? I love brown with pinks or blues!

BTW, I totally understand you not feeling comfortable wearing something that makes you feel like people will look at you as a 35-yr. old trying to be 20-something. My husband said to me about a year ago when I was having problems trying to find a dress to wear to a wedding that it must be hard to be "in between" as he so kindly put it. I''m 28, and we go to a lot of functions where funkier things on me just look, well, like I''m trying to still be 23...on the other hand, if I try going for a more mature look, I feel like I look 40! Laundry by Shelli Segal dresses have been working for me for about the past year or so, they''re not too young, not too...whatever. I also love anthropologie, and I know a few 35-40 gals who wear their things very well without looking like teenyboppers.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I will try the dress on for my husband tonight. If I were going to use it for V-day I''d want it to be a surprise. I really don''t attend parties where I''d need such a dressy dress. The only thing are work functions and I definitely couldn''t be this trendy for anything work related....not to mention this dress is very low cut on me....shows way too much cleavage for a boss related thing. The price is good for a really pretty dress but I''d be sort of dressed up with no place to go....

I''d gladly wear my pendant with a brown wrap dress but I can''t find one....

Yes, the between ages in dresses are hard. I''ve had success with the Laundry Shelli Segal dresses too. I have a really great one that is currently a size to small! I definitely don''t need to dress younger because my husband is 47 and he doesn''t want me to look like his daughter! But I don''t want to dress like I''m in my 40s either. He doesn''t look, act or dress his age so most people think he''s about 5 years older than me. I know that the basics like a black sheath dress are probably age appropriate and classic now but I still feel like I''m channeling my mother when I try those on.

I will probably wear the dark red paisley dress I already own with my brown suede boots. Unfortunately it won''t work at all with my blue zircon necklace. I definitely could use a fun necklace for the red dress--probably something browns or golds. It has a really deep scoop neck...it''s almost an off-the-shoulder dress so a small delicate necklace would just get lost.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just looked at Nordstrom''s fashion jewelry online (I''m so bad--supposed to be working and here I am playing personal shopper, hee hee) they have some fun stuff, you should check it out! Sorry I don''t have time to post pics for ya!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ID do you have a nordstrom''s near you? I bet you could find a brown jersey or wrap dress in clearance for winter!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Check out BlueFly...they have a bunch of jersey dresses, here are two links that were interesting, the first one is LS but I dont love that neck tie thing...the 2nd is a cute black jersey halter that would be fab with some color aka jewelry and then black boots and a bright turquise pashmina or something...

Brown Long Sleeved Jersey:
http://www.bluefly.com/pages/products/detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=2016345313&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1219&N=945+4294967258&Nao=36&Ne=10&Ns=Popularity%7c0%7c%7cProduct%2bCode%7c1&Nu=Product+ID#
Black Jersey:
http://www.bluefly.com/pages/products/detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=2016799919&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1215&N=945+4294967268&Ne=10&Ns=Popularity%7c0%7c%7cProduct%2bCode%7c1&Nu=Product+ID

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results