carat
color
clarity

Perfume...

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Lorelei: have you heard anything about the new Chanel "Beige"? Or bettter yet, have you smelled it??? Sounded interesting as I read about it today.....

cheers--Sharon

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Sharon!

I have heard about Beige and have read mixed reports but it seems those that love it ADORE it! I am planning to visit a Chanel boutique in the spring so I can try it along with some of the other Exclusifs. When I do, I will definitely report back and give you the scoop!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I managed to test drive Rose Praline by Parfums de Rosine, regrettably it was a big disappointment. The fragrance was a weak, watery rose with a hint of tea in the background and it vanished after half an hour. No depth, no cocoa, no richness or depth to my nose, glad I didn''t buy a full bottle.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
Can I ask for help from the perfume elite? I'm pretty much a newbie! I've browsed through the thread but I don't really know what many of the great suggestions smell like.

When I met my DH I wore Bath and Body Works Peony Body Spray (I know, I know, I was a poor grad student!). I'm looking for a great perfume with a similar peony scent, as both he and I love it. :) Bonus if I can buy it at Macy's, since I have a ton of gift cards for there!
2.gif

I tend to like florals on me more so than fruity scents, I also can't wear scents that come out too "musky" if I understand the term correctly. I've been wearing Bvulgari Amethyste for a couple years now, and I'm almost out and tiring of it, so time to try something new. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/10/2010 11:18:01 PM
Author: jsm
Can I ask for help from the perfume elite? I'm pretty much a newbie! I've browsed through the thread but I don't really know what many of the great suggestions smell like.

When I met my DH I wore Bath and Body Works Peony Body Spray (I know, I know, I was a poor grad student!). I'm looking for a great perfume with a similar peony scent, as both he and I love it. :) Bonus if I can buy it at Macy's, since I have a ton of gift cards for there!
2.gif

I tend to like florals on me more so than fruity scents, I also can't wear scents that come out too 'musky' if I understand the term correctly. I've been wearing Bvulgari Amethyste for a couple years now, and I'm almost out and tiring of it, so time to try something new. Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Hi Jsm

Of course you can ask for help!

From what you describe, a certain perfume springs to mind and that is Pleasures ( original version) by Estee Lauder. I believe there is a peony note in that one. It is very floral, reminds me of lilacs in fact so I would definitely try it.

ETA - something was ringing a bell and I was right, there is a Peony version of this perfume, see linky,

http://www.perfumeshop.com/women-s-p-pleasures-peony-garden-by-estee-lauder-for-women.html

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
That looks perfect! It says it is temporarily unavailable, but I will definitely do some searching.

I''ll try the original version, too. Thanks very much for the suggestion!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Picked up some dry oil from Estie Lauder--Bronze Goddess--and it is lovely. Goes very well with my Wish from Lollia--as they are very similar. Coconut, island fruity.

cheers--Sharon

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/17/2010 6:16:50 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

Picked up some dry oil from Estie Lauder--Bronze Goddess--and it is lovely. Goes very well with my Wish from Lollia--as they are very similar. Coconut, island fruity.

cheers--Sharon
Those sound great Sharon! You know, I was thinking the other day, I wish I could find a fragrance that smelled just like suntan oil did in the seventies.....Remember the coconut scent these had?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/17/2010 6:29:56 PM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 3/17/2010 6:16:50 PM
HI:

cheers--Sharon
Those sound great Sharon! You know, I was thinking the other day, I wish I could find a fragrance that smelled just like suntan oil did in the seventies.....Remember the coconut scent these had?
HI Lorelei:

Yup! That product is still around--Hawaiian Tropic? Brings back memories!

cheers--Sharon

brilliance4me

Shiny_Rock
I wear Victorias Secret - Body by Victoria Parfum spay. I just cant get enough of the stuff! Smells delectable on me!
31.gif

I''ve worn
Sexy Little Things- Vickies Secret
Thierry Mugler -Innocent Secret (very nice)
Calvin Klein - Ecape

I tend to stick to the same, dont really venture into newer fragraces, I have tooo many alergies. So if it works I wear for years to come
1.gif

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
I''m kind of obsessed with Lovely right now.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/13/2009 12:10:59 PM
Author: Callisto

Date: 11/13/2009 12:08:07 PM

Date: 11/13/2009 12:06:01 PM

Author: Callisto

I'm very picky about perfumes as they tend to make me sick if they are too sweet, too strong, too flowery, pretty much too anything.

I'm the kind of person that has to put the perfume on in a store, go shopping for two hours and if I don't hate the smell after that I will go buy it... which has only happened once in about 4 years so I've been exclusively wearing:

Calvin Klein Euphoria

And i got a great deal on it on Amazon so it wasn't even that expensive, which is always nice.

Thats a good method Callisto, too many folk judge too quickly, the top notes wear off within a few minutes of a fragrance, what is more important are the middle and basenotes, those are what you are left with once a fragrance dies down, so important to give a perfume time on your skin to get an accurate idea of suitability.

Yeah I very often love it when I first put it on and then within about two stores I want to scrub it off me. I always stop at the perfume counter on my way in and try something on before I do the rest of my shopping, it really allows you to try out that scent.
LOL! This is me to a tee. I generally end up in the I'm-going-to-have-to-de-skin-my-arm camp with the vast majority of perfumes I try.

Well, I've just now read the entire thread and wow! I am a rank amateur next to some of you ladies!
2.gif
I don't have all that many scents, comparatively speaking. It has to be pretty special to win my loyalty, and after that I'm...well...loyal.

My all-time fave has got to be Tresor. I've been wearing in since darn near when it came out I think. I have it in almost every form, and it is my fallback/comfort perfume. Always clean and sweet but never overwhelming.

I have an annoying tendency to get the hots for stuff that gets discontinued. Right now I'm on my last long-hoarded bottle of Song de Chine, a discontinued fragrance by Crabtree & Evelyn. I'm also on my last (discontinued) bottle of Damask Rose, also by C&E. (C&E has not endeared themselves to me for all this, I can tell you).

Lessee...what's in my cabinet right now...

Tresor, of course.
White Linen - classic, can't go wrong, but don't wear it all that much for some reason...
Goldleaf aka Goldleaf & Hydrangea - I only wear this in the fall/winter since it seems a bit heavier than my usual stuff. Just screams autumn for some reason.
a hoarded bottle of Gloomaway by Origins - light, grapefruity, summery - doesn't have much staying power sadly, but a refreshing blast after a summertime shower. The spray cologne form has been (wait for it....) discontinued! (I AM the queen)
And given to me as gifts by my man with such an impaired sense of smell that he really can't properly smell ME, let alone my perfumes - (HE smells yummy BTW, which is fortunate since I cannot convince him to wear any cologne at all, EVER. Pity, because I like a guy with a bit of cologne. Oh well, I'll keep him anyway I guess.
2.gif
)
Marc Jacobs - love it. He noticed, and got me a second bottle. yay!
Marc Jacobs Daisy - also love it. The tip top note was initially weird, and had to grow on me, but the mid and base are clean and airy.
The boy's secret, I found, is a little perfume shop in a local mall. He went in armed with the name of a few that I wear, and the wizard who owns the shop suggested both the Marc Jacobs scents.
Ginger Milk - by Thymes Ltd - nice, light, clean
Song de Chine
Damask Rose

Over the years I've had (in no particular order) fleeting dalliances with such fragrances as Chanel No. 5, Tuscany per Donna, Obsession (yes, yes, I know...), Jessica McClintock, Champs Elysee, Aliage by EL, Eternity, Evelyn, Paris, and a few others I can't recall. And there was one my mom had when I was growing up...called Farouche by Nina Ricci. I haven't smelled it in decades, although apparently they still make it. wonder if I'd still like it: tastes do change.

I need to get out and do some serious sniffin' apparently. You guys are getting me inspired!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
others I can''t recall. And there was one my mom had when I was growing up...called Farouche by Nina Ricci. I haven''t smelled it in decades, although apparently they still make it. wonder if I''d still like it: tastes do change.

I need to get out and do some serious sniffin'' apparently. You guys are getting me inspired!
K, that was a stunning perfume but I think I remember reading it isn''t what it used to be....
15.gif

You DO need to go and do some sniffin'', get thee to a Sephora pronto!

If you liked Chanel No 5, try the new version Eau Premiere. It doesn''t stick around long on the skin but its so pretty.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2010 7:53:46 AM

others I can''t recall. And there was one my mom had when I was growing up...called Farouche by Nina Ricci. I haven''t smelled it in decades, although apparently they still make it. wonder if I''d still like it: tastes do change.

I need to get out and do some serious sniffin'' apparently. You guys are getting me inspired!
K, that was a stunning perfume but I think I remember reading it isn''t what it used to be....
15.gif

If you liked Chanel No 5, try the new version Eau Premiere. It doesn''t stick around long on the skin but its so pretty.
This is going to sound weird (I think at times that I have a touch of kinesthesia), but that perfume was alway silvery gray with dark dots. Yeah, don''t ask. That''s always what popped into my mind''s eye whenever I smelled it.
37.gif
And yes, I wouldn''t be surprised at all if they''d cheapened up the formula. They so shouldn''t do that - they just drive away old and loyal customers who can tell the difference. It''s sad....

I did go into the perfume wizard''s shop not long after my husband''s last foray in to find the next great perfume to give me. I really wanted to meet this guy. He was a fabulously nice guy and had a really fine understanding of how to steer people to the right scents, and he had a whole shop full of high-end and obscure fragrances. But even so, I found very little in there that I would consider purchasing and taking home. I really am incredibly picky. I''ve had many many sniffin'' sessions in years past, and for the most part they have been and are, a bust. I''ll try one on that seems promising, but then the mid note ususally sends me screaming for a sink and some soap. But you''re right, I do need to go out and try yet again - the next classic scent may be just around the corner.
2.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/21/2010 10:27:56 AM
Author: ksinger

Date: 3/21/2010 7:53:46 AM

15.gif

This is going to sound weird (I think at times that I have a touch of kinesthesia), but that perfume was alway silvery gray with dark dots. Yeah, don''t ask. That''s always what popped into my mind''s eye whenever I smelled it.
37.gif
And yes, I wouldn''t be surprised at all if they''d cheapened up the formula. They so shouldn''t do that - they just drive away old and loyal customers who can tell the difference. It''s sad....

I did go into the perfume wizard''s shop not long after my husband''s last foray in to find the next great perfume to give me. I really wanted to meet this guy. He was a fabulously nice guy and had a really fine understanding of how to steer people to the right scents, and he had a whole shop full of high-end and obscure fragrances. But even so, I found very little in there that I would consider purchasing and taking home. I really am incredibly picky. I''ve had many many sniffin'' sessions in years past, and for the most part they have been and are, a bust. I''ll try one on that seems promising, but then the mid note ususally sends me screaming for a sink and some soap. But you''re right, I do need to go out and try yet again - the next classic scent may be just around the corner.
2.gif
LOL! Actually I quite understand as I can also '' see'' fragrances. Silvery grey with dark dots is a great description! That always made me think of elegant ladies with stockings, heels, gloves and hats - such an elegant perfume!

But I wouldn''t want to try it now in case my memories were destroyed....
39.gif

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
I ordered a new bottle of Chloe from Saks and whiles it''s a really nice scent it''s light years away from the original
emangry.gif
. Lighter and more of a mixed floral than from years past. I''m disappointed.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/7/2010 6:10:01 PM
Author: Amber St. Clare
I ordered a new bottle of Chloe from Saks and whiles it''s a really nice scent it''s light years away from the original
emangry.gif
. Lighter and more of a mixed floral than from years past. I''m disappointed.
Amber, I feel your pain.....
15.gif

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
never mind....
27.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Amber - did you find a pleasant note?

kristenmickel

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys...I just came to your thread and found it interesting...I enjoyed your conversation..
Keep up sharing good topics in future..

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/30/2010 2:18:30 AM
Author: kristenmickel
Thank you guys...I just came to your thread and found it interesting...I enjoyed your conversation..
Keep up sharing good topics in future..
Hi Kristen! Glad you enjoyed the thread!

I wanted to show you all this auction, the most beautiful perfume/powder/lotion set which is over 100 years old in perfect condition....

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380228667514&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.com.au%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D380228667514%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Lorelei - Did you??
27.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/30/2010 3:38:39 PM
Author: dragonfly411
Lorelei - Did you??
27.gif
No....regrettably!
12.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/1/2010 5:36:16 AM

Lorelei - Did you??
27.gif
No....regrettably!
12.gif
But I DID buy myself a bottle of Musc Ravageur by www.editionsdeparfums.com and I am revelling in its spicy goodness, it smells just like cinammon buns....
30.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/5/2010 11:15:57 AM

Lorelei - Did you??
27.gif

No....regrettably!
12.gif

But I DID buy myself a bottle of Musc Ravageur by www.editionsdeparfums.com and I am revelling in its spicy goodness, it smells just like cinammon buns....
30.gif

Sounds yummy Miss Lorelei!! I still love my Carnal Flower....best staying power....I''ll try yours when I am in LA this summer (no Malle local to me....)

BTW, ya''ll know my love for tuberose---has anyone tried Prada newest concoction?

cheers--Sharon

KittyGolightly

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I love tuberose! I didn''t realize that Prada had a new one out. I''ll need to go look for it.
1.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/5/2010 4:53:16 PM

Date: 5/5/2010 11:15:57 AM

Lorelei - Did you??
27.gif

No....regrettably!
12.gif

30.gif

Sounds yummy Miss Lorelei!! I still love my Carnal Flower....best staying power....I''ll try yours when I am in LA this summer (no Malle local to me....)

BTW, ya''ll know my love for tuberose---has anyone tried Prada newest concoction?

cheers--Sharon
''Tis yummy Miss Sharon! Here is a tip though, don''t judge it until it has been on your skin an hour or so, make sure you stick around to let the fragrance dry down in case you decide you need a bottle of Musc Ravageur too.....
41.gif
I wish I could have got along with Carnal Flower but it smelled like juicy fruit gum in a florist shop on me. I do love FM Lipstick Rose which I have and I want to get Iris Poudre sometime also from the Malles.

I haven''t tried the Prada tubereuse but I will keep an eye out.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/5/2010 11:37:32 PM
Author: KittyGolightly
Oh, I love tuberose! I didn''t realize that Prada had a new one out. I''ll need to go look for it.
1.gif
Kitty as you love tubereuse, try Carnal Flower from Frederick Malle that Sharon mentioned, have you tried Fracas by Piguet? Thats a very popular tubereuse. Also the original Carolina Herrera is a TB fragrance and is less expensive than Carnal Flower, if you have a Sephora closeby try it.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/6/2010 3:48:49 AM
Date: 5/5/2010 11:37:32 PM

Author: KittyGolightly

Oh, I love tuberose! I didn't realize that Prada had a new one out. I'll need to go look for it.
1.gif

Kitty as you love tubereuse, try Carnal Flower from Frederick Malle that Sharon mentioned, have you tried Fracas by Piguet? Thats a very popular tubereuse. Also the original Carolina Herrera is a TB fragrance and is less expensive than Carnal Flower, if you have a Sephora closeby try it.

HI:

If I might add a few tubereuse suggestions: Fragile by Gaultier, and one by Serge Lutens. Altho I do not get the juicy fruit response to Carnal Flower that Lorelei does (hee hee), it is true it is not for the faint of heart. Annik Goutal also has a floral combo with this highlight. Happy smelling!

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results