shape
carat
color
clarity

Overstock.Com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My FAVORITE new online store for awesome deals!

Since the new house...I have found wayyy more of a reason to shop with Overstock than before. 600 thread count sheets for $69.99. 300 thread count 600 fill power down comforter for $129. Hoover Steam Cleaner for $169.99 when retail is $400. Yeahh!!
1.gif
I even got Greg one of those NASA pillows with the indentation for people who have neck problems and snore. It's on its way so I don't know how effective it is yet..hee hee.

They say 6-10 days delivery but all my Overstock stuff has come within about 3-4 biz days after placing the order. Shipping is $2.95 for EVERYTHING (they use FedEx bulk home delivery).

Anyway if you have not already checked them out..DO IT. Not only do they carry house stuff, but alot of electronics straight from the manufacturer, and fashion items like Prada sunglasses, Burberry scarves, sunglasses, etc. All legit and authentic. I'm eyeballing a pair of Burberry sunglasses myself! Shhh don't tell Greg.
2.gif

Thumbs up to Overstock so far!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
We got some really nice $10 cashmere scarves from them a couple years ago. My DH goes through scarves pretty quickly, he tears them to shreds with his 5 o'clock shadow, and he complains about itcy wool--so I was psyched.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooh he sounds sexy!! Cashmere scarves and 5 o'clock shadow? Lucky gal!!
1.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Mara, thanks for posting your positive experience with them. On a few occasions, I almost bought some Akoya pearls from them, but didn't have the courage in the end. Now maybe I will next time some become available. I think that's the same place I mentioned to you that I saw some of those chandelier earrings that you love, but I don't remember...that was a while ago.

Thanks again.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Kamuelamom Overstock as some good things, and some cheaper things...I bought a ring from them for $120 in white gold with a simple aquamarine in it, and it was a bit on the cheesy side, but I STILL love it and wear it. Their 600ct sheets are great and i got the comforter set in 800CT and that's great too! So all in all I recommend them most for clothing, bedsheets, etc, but for jewelry...so so...

By the way for all the Coach lovers, they have a new mini-signature jewelry case out there!

http://www.coach.com/shop/product_nobefree.asp?product_no=5334&category_id=168&show_bc=&base_index=0&sort_by_price=&easyask_id=

whitediamonds

Rough_Rock
Wow Mara! You really know bargains! That's tray fab!
I can't wait to check it out!
See YA!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes Kam..it was that site! I look at it sometimes for jewelry...I think pearls would be okay through them, but some of their diamond stuff is too cheesy for me and/or the quality looks mediocre. But for housewares and/or other items like electronics that are 'branded', hands down they are the best around. Smartbargains.com is another great store that is like Overstock, huge competitor. But I find Overstock has a better selection overall though sometimes SB has great stuff too. I have bought from SB as well...they both are excellent in terms of purchasing and shipping, etc.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oooo, thanks Mara! I've never surfed their site but I will now!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One warning: they will spam you to DEATH!!!!!!!! I just worked on my parents' computer today. They had 453 "new" e-mails going back about three months. Most of them were from Overstock.com. I got *VERY* sick of deleting them. I can't imagine what they did to get so many advertisements!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually AGBF....I don't, and haven't, gotten one email from them. Why? Because I didn't check the 'add me to your mailing list' box when I checked out with my shopping cart. Easy. And if your parents want to unsubscribe from the list, it's as simple as clicking on the unsubscribe link in one of the 453 emails.
2.gif

Companies like Overstock can't afford to "spam" people...and spam is technically unsolicited email. Sounds like your parents subscribed to a list and then forgot they did it. That would not be spam nor unsolicited email. So many people subscribe them forget, and then they report the company as spamming when in reality all they are doing is emailing their customer list.

I know this because I'm in online marketing, and for a time last year, I was heavily involved in creating newsletters at my company for our brands and shopping categories for our subscriber lists which number over 3 million. Someone else handles that now, but we are huge on watching spamming laws etc. Most companies have moved to a double opt-in which means that not only will you have to check the box during checkout to receive email, but then they should send you another email after, asking for confirmation that you want to really subscribe. This double covers their butts in the future. Not all companies have adopted this yet, and we are in discussions to do so with our lists...but don't be surprised if you see it more often. Pre-existing lists will most likely not get that same treatment....so again, if your parents don't want the emails, just unsubscribe.
2.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My parents are not sophisticated enough to buy anything on-line. I suspect that the culprit was my 11 year-old daughter, being allowed to use her grandmother's credit card for an on-line purchase. I'm glad that one can unsubscribe, though. (I always make sure not to be on any mailing list!!!) I may have to wait until the next time I'm on my parents' computer, though :(. Thanks.

Deb

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
I've had mixed experience with overstock. I got those great 600 or more count sateen sheets. After a few washes with Dreft (be gentle with sateen or you'll see holes in it) and Downy they are very soft. Sateen also wrinkles really fast.

I also bought a duvet cover and shams for my down comforter. I didn't realize until too late that the dyes for the shams did not match.

So, there you have it. Also, read carefully. I noticed that some of what they sell is "reconditioned".

lawmax
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
One other thing is that I find myself gravitating towards things on Overstock that have 'reviews' attached to them. Taking them with a grain of salt of course, because who really knows who writes or adds those in (though I did add one in once using their tool and it was added a day later so at least one is legit!
1.gif
); but I like when I see that a product has 15 positive reviews. Sure there may be disgruntled people who never bothered to write in, but at least I know 15 are happy. Hee Hee.

For example, our steam cleaner (yet to arrive) had so many accolades, and it was also reconditioned. Someone even mentioned in their review that they had not had a problem, it worked and looked just like new, etc. So I figured, hey for more than 1/2 off..why not. I just need something functional and Hoover is a good brand. So keeping fingers crossed on that one.

I did order a down comforter from them and looked for MONTHS because there were so many options. Finally just bit the bullet and ordered one of the ones on Overstock because our old one was completely disintegrating and wasn't keeping us warm anymore. It arrived on time, and it wasn't AS PUFFY as I hoped it could be. But that is a general caveat of ordering online, not being able to see/touch before buying..as we all know so well!
1.gif
However, after a week of using it, we like the warmth level and it's not so puffy that it's obnoxious, so it worked out well.

Can't wait to try the 600tc sheets, I bought them for the 'summer bed'...right now we have baby blue flannels on it...cheery and warm!!
1.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
We bought a feather comforter from Overstock and same thing. We love the silkiness of the 800Ct, BUT yes, it stopped fluffing like it used to, but the best for feather comforters is to fluff it at least once a week, and literally beat it and shake it out in the fresh air to refluff. Pain in the @$$, but hey, it makes sleeping with it, like sleeping on a cloud!

Overstock actually have a great Burberry's raincoat my girlfriend got, and what a deal! I say get some less pricey stuff and make your own determination...

If you guys like deals, try these places too!

www.slickdeals.com (LOVE this one!)

www.couponmountain.com

www.coolsavings.com

www.designerexposure.com (Great for designer stuff!)

www.eluxury.com

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nic, is that the Hungarian 800tc down comforter? I was eyeballing that hard-core, even found it on eBay for $20 less. But in the end I thought the fill power may be too much for California (and Greg is never as cold as I am); and also I was afraid that the oversized shape would not fit in my duvet covers. I think it was something like 104x96. Anyway ended up with one that was 104x90 and I wish I had gotten the 96!! I hate it when the comforter doesn't cover enough of the sides, I'm a very anal bed-maker. So that was another thing. I was thinking of returning it and getting the 800 Hungarian one which may be more puffy AND will definitely cover more of the sides (anal-retentive here), but I don't know. We've kind of grown used to this one and its a pain to return stuff via the mail, plus Greg would probably die of heat exhaustion in the extra fill power of the other one.
9.gif

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Ok, I can't say what your heat tolerance is...but mine is VERY high. My guy is the only man I ever met whose hands and feet are COLDER than mine, and coupled with heat always at 83-85 in the winter (plus fireplace going), we are quite happy with the warmth of it. I do believe it's that Hungarian one. It actually is perfect on our bed that it covers the sides, but is not TOO long on the sides that it weighs you donw too much. Basically there's enough room to cover, but short enough to stick your leg out when it's TOO warm.

I also am not sure how hot it is in CA, but in NY, you're dead without good bedding...(even with heat!)

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They have $1 Site Wide Shipping today! I love Overstock. I have purchased a pair of basic pearl earrings from them and my fave, a pink Baby G watch for $47.99. They even have La Perla lingerie.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
We are in HEAVEN with our new feather bed we got from them 3 weeks ago.

It's feathers in the bottom part, about 3" worth (19lbs), then its ONLY down in the top part, about 2" worth...so the max is like around 5" tall and its like sleeping on a cloud. Plus no poking by the feathers since they are all at the bottom and not near our skin! Add our new down comforter to it and our 600 tc sheets and bed is pretty darn sinful right about now.
2.gif

Their $1 sale on shipping always cracks me up because their shipping is always only $2.95. So you save $2.00. Hehehee. It sounds awesome until you realize that!

They should do no sales tax sometimes. Now that combined with $2.95 everyday ship is a bargain!

Oh and also I love how their stuff arrives much faster than they say it does. Alot of times we get things 3-4 days after the order was placed rather than 6-10 days. But really large items do tend to take longer it seems.
2.gif

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
We *heart* Overstock.com, too.
1.gif
The haul thus far includes: 600 tc sheets, 250 tc duvet cover & shams, duvet, and a few other things that escape memory right now. And they're all great. Fabulous. The prices rock, especially on the sheets - you can't touch 600 tc sheets up here in Toronto for less than $300 for a set, plus 15% in taxes...

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Ahhh! I'm so mad at overstock.com right now. The first item I bought from them was lovely, but the second item? Grrr...

I just got off the customer service "chat" and have vowed never to purchase from them again. I guess they're great if nothing goes wrong but their quality control and their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. So beware and hope all your orders go smoothly.

In May I purchased a sweater from them. When it arrived, it was the wrong one (the pullover style instead of the cardigan). I returned it for an exchange and was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was.

Well, I received the replacement and, sure enough, it was the wrong one AGAIN. I wrote them an irate note, naturally, and asked that they send me my replacement in advance of receiving this second return, since they had made the same mistake twice. Well, they didn't respond to that portion of my note and just sent me the standard form letter with the standard return instructions. I decided not to pursue it.

Today--July now--I checked the status of the order and noticed that the price of the item had gone down by $20. So, I "called" them to request that they credit me the price difference since I might has well have waited all this time to order the darned sweater that I still have not received. Not only was I on the chat--waiting, waiting, cut off, waiting--for an hour, but at the end they said they couldn't do it because their policy is to only give price differences within 5 days. I politely pointed out that I wasn't requesting a price difference with an item I had received, but an item that they had misshipped twice and that I *still* hadn't received. No dice. She said "if they made an exception for one, they'd have to make it for all" and that it would be "unfair" to other customers. I see, "unfair" that they would have to pay for makiing two mistakes and pay a measly $20 as a customer service gesture. They offered me a $10 credit as a sop, but did they really think it was about the $20? I turned it down and I'm returning that sweater when it arrives.

The funny thing is, I was thinking about all those discussions we have with B&Ms and how we tell them that customer service is how they'll compete with the online stores. When the online stores fail at customer service, their consequences are just as great as when B&Ms do it. I mean, a good restaurant know that a complimentary glass of cheap house wine or comped dessert goes a long way in smoothing ruffled feathers. A smart B&M gives a small discount when things go wrong. A big dept store knows to accept an item back, no questions asked, especially when they make a mistake. And a remote store gives free shipping or whatnot. It's just amazing to me that a store like overstock.com, presumably backed by savvy businesspeople, haven't learned this simple fact.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Huh. As an addendum to the above rant. I got the latest shipment from overstock.com, and for the third time they shipped the WRONG SWEATER! I must congratulate whoever hired their warehouse personnel--unless it's an inventory control error. Or maybe just indicative of their entire operation.
rolleyes.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Now that spring is coming...wanted to order new stuff for the bed, Greg complains that the down comforter is too hot for him and he bakes (funny how when I wake up in the morning he has it all tight and snuggled against him...if he is so hot???!)...

So of course I visited Overstock. I ordered some new blue 400tc sateen sheets and also a wite down BLANKET this time for summer so hopefully that will make him happy. I told him he''s got a gift coming. hehe.

The fill power on the blanket is pretty good, so it seems very much like a lightweight comforter rather than a skinny blanket, guess we will find out. I am normally cold even in summers, so we''ll see if this is a nice compromise that we can both be happy with.

Hest did you ever get your sweater issue resolved??!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I love Overstock, minus the cheecy "its all about the O" ads. I have a lovely microfiber duvet set on my bed at school from there and my spares sheets for my fold out couch came from there as well. I think if you are an educated consumer buy online can be a great experince! Oh and did click the email list but I get about one email every other week from them with "cupons" for 10 or 20% off. It doesnt bother me.

jorman

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Mara!

I am so glad you recommended Overstock.
I think I have found my new favorite place to buy books.
I love to read and just purchased 2 top sellers for $15. Yay!
Thanks again!

Janna

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results