shape
carat
color
clarity

Okay. So, Interview here too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like to think that I'm usually great at dressing myself for interviews. And I do have a quite a few suits. (I'll get some pics up this weekend). But I'm doubting myself, and maybe for silly reasons.

Reason a) What not to Wear. They are totally against synthetic fabrics and my 'go to' suit for interviews is a Tahari black with white pin strip skirt suit with a kick pleat hem in a synthetic fabric.

Reason b) Demon Boss. I work in Silicon Valley and APPARENTLY the dress for interviews out here is more relaxed than say.. NY/NJ/DC law firms (bulk of my interview experience). I wore said Tahari suit to interview with her and she's since mentioned that she 'overlooked' that I was overdressed because she figured I didn't know any better about Valley culture.

So the company I am interviewing with is software, and relaxed work attire for their employees. So... I'm not sure what to wear. One of my other pin stripe suits (yes, I have many pin stipped suits) is also Tahari, synthetic but it is a pants suit and has a nicer jacket... but it MAY be a little tight (have to check). And again it IS a black pin stripe suit--even though it does have pants.

My favorite suit is a heavier wool and gray. Has a lovely flattering A-line skirt and a military style jacket. But it's not a summer weight. TECHINICALLY the interview is in spring though... so I thought about sticking a light pink shirt under it and trying to squeak by with that. It also recently lost a very unique button I can't seem to find, so I need to get all new buttons and replace them.

Wedding. Budget is tight. Don't want to spend $$ on a new suit-- but my mom just bought me a ton of stuff from Talbots I have to return so I COULD go see what they have. AND I'm having serious body image issues, and am trying to lose weight, so shopping is a bit of a downer right now.

But I was thinking... maybe I should? And if I do, what type of suit for I go for? I have a navy suit, but it's not one I'd wear to an interview. But I like navy. My solid black suit is also not interview quality (anymore) so I wouldn't mind replacing that one. I do have a lovely black pencil skirt though.

Should I even wear a suit? I don't want to look overdressed. I could wear a nice pair of slacks and a really nice (would need to buy) sweater set or something.

What should I do ladies? Advice? Interview is on the 19th. So I've got two weekends to shop. One of those will involve time Amber Gretchen shopping for makeup and stuff in the city.... so I've got nice shopping options.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I'm certainly no expert but I would probably say a cute colored jacket (maybe linen?) and black pants or something similar. The color would make it a little less formal and stuffy imo.

ETA: I am almost always against synthetic fabrics also... but I think there are SOME times when they can be done classy so you probably shouldn't worry to much about yours.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Hy Gypsy,

My advice is to where a suit when interviewing, even if the dress code of the company is more business casual. Where I work I can literally show up in jeans and a t-shirt, and then when we have visitors we wear suits. I would recommend a suit, and perhaps leave the jacket open which is less formal, and like you said, pair it with a feminine or fun top.

I think any of the suits you have will work fine paired with a feminine, fun top if you don''t feel like spending the money. If you DO want a new suit, try one in a lighter color, those always look more relaxed! Ann Taylor has a suit in a light, khaki color tropical wool -- so something with a light color and light weight to it. Good luck!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Jucy Couture??? KIDDING!

Any chance you could pick up a cotton skirt and blouse, and wear a cardigan with it? Simple, perhaps the blouse a floral print, other two pieces plain. Or a floral cotton blouse with one of your exisiting suits (not grey tho). Or a shirt dress with a jacket or cardi. Shirt dresses can be dressy or casual.

cheers--Sharon

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, your old boss is a jerk, so don't listen to her.

I always think that it's good to wear a suit to an interview. Period. It's hard to know the culture at each place and even if the employees are business casual, you never know what the hiring committee expects.

BUT on that note, if you think it's not a "stuffy" work environment, have a little fun with your suit. Wear great jewelry, a bright blouse underneath it, or interesting shoes. That way they'll see that you are "fun" and won't have any trouble imagining that you can fit in there.

I also hate synthetics, but you already have the suit, love it, AND it's Tahari so it can't be that bad!!!!!! I wouldn't worry about it.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!
1.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hey you - I totally agree w/ neatfreak that if you have the suit already and love it, maybe we should just look for a cute, less formal blouse or sweater top to go under it. Old boss is definitely a witch and you shouldn''t listen to a word she says - everyone I know wears suits or other more formal business attire for interviews, and I think its always best to be overdressed for an interview vs. underdressed. Banana has been having some really good options for sweater tops in tons of cute colors, we could totally go there.

Alternatively, they also have these cotton suits that come in black and in a light khaki color, with skirts or pants. This might be a nice in-between option - still formal as a suit, but a seasonally-appropriate fabric, and not as formal as a wool suit option. Plus, not super-pricey, so definitely budget friendly. These suits have a little stretch in them, which is really nice as well for fit an comfort.

But we can totally plan to look around and see what we can find - there must be a Talbot''s somewhere near Union Square, right?

Plus, of course, I''m a big believer in the right makeup working wonders as well
2.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wear something that you feel great in. That will give you a little extra bit of confidence for the interview. L, I just want to say how sorry I am and can totally relate to how you feel about your body. I am dealing with my own body issues. Shopping *is* horrible for the first time in my life. It is very depressing. I am so proud of you that you started that thread in BWW b/c support can really motivate you. I hope that weight comes off easily (and mine starts to budge too!)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tacori honey, I hope yours come off easily!! I'm sorry you are having body image issues too.

So, I took the majority advice-- and decided to wear a suit. Tried on my existing ones and just didn't feel very confident so went out today and bought an Italian (oh la la) wool (light weight superfine) suit from Talbots. I went to the outlet and got lucky! It's a dark blue, but not navy-- almost a slate. It looks good on, doesn't look as formal as a black or pin stripe suit. I feel confident in it. And I think I look good!

It matches a pair of BCBG heels I have perfectly. Though I bought a pair of black pumps (I needed a new pair desperately) just in case (will post pics later). Suit has two issues though. I have these... massive arms, and I can't wear anything with a short sleeve under it. Sleevless looks fine, but even a thin seam shows under it on my upper arms. So I'm hoping this lavendar silk shell I have will work under it. It was shrunk by the dry cleaner a while back though... so I'm keeping my eye out for other options. Second problem is that I think the top button is a LITTLE off on the suit and needs adjusting, but I don't know if I'll time before the interview to take it in for alteration (I would do it myself, but as it IS my interview suit now I don't want to take the chanced), so I'm planning on just leaving the jacket open.

Over all it was relatively painless. I actually found a couple of suits that would work (the Talbots outlet is right next to the Ann Taylor one) but the color of this one and the quality of the fabric won me over--- even though I admittedly went over budget (still, it was about 40% original price off though).

So I'm happy. I'll carry my black coach bag, and a black zipped leather writing pad thing. And I think it will be fine.

I promise to post pics. Thanks ladies you were a great help.

Thank you very much oobiecoo, Lindsay, Sharon (LOL @ Juicy couture!), Neatfreak (I'm going to take your advice on fun accessories!), AG (now I'm ready for makeup shoping!) and tacori!.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I forgot to add that it''s a pants suit-- too late to edit now.
20.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you found a new suit at Talbots! It sounds really pretty, I can''t wait to see it if you post pics!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
THANKS MONNIE! Okay so here's a pic. The color is TOTALLY off. The shirt I'm wearing is a lavendar. Not even a light lavendar... a rather saturated one--- the suit is darker too, it's the color of the butons on the suit IRL. The shoes are the BCBG's about 3.5 heel and from the pic, it looks like the heel is too high for the length of the pants. So I'll have to wear different shoes. And it looks a tighter across the hips that it is IRL-- I was between sizes in the pants, and they didn't have the larger size in right color else I would have gone with them and had the waist taken in. Weird pic, but we only snapped up a couple and this is the only half way decent one. But at least it gives you an IDEA. I think I'm going to wear a longer shirt too, this one is too short (darned dry cleaners!).

IMG_0357GYPS.jpg

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Layla, get a grip on reality, woman. You look fabulous in that gorgeous blue suit. Seriously. Put your Spanx on and your best bra, grab your big ol'' Coach bag and your pretty black shoes and go getcher job! LOL! You''re such a beautiful lady, how could anyone turn you down?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL. Body image issues. I warned ya. Thanks for the reality check and the boost Monnie, I appreciate it.

Spanx (check), better bra (um... I REALLY need to go bra shopping, that is my best bra right now-- okay will buy one of those this week, have been putting it off). Coach croco bag and new black pumps check. Will post pics of the shoes, I really like them a lot but they are open toe. Is that okay for an interview-- I've always worn close toe? I think they are elegant though. Comfy too.

I figured out what top to wear I have a really really light green top. It's barely green, almost cream. I just have to figure out where it is (laundry or dry cleaners) and get it clean.

Okay, so new bra. Will try Loehman's for that-- they had some nice Wacoal ones there last time I checked. THANKS!!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
LOVE the new suit - very sharp, and I think its a perfect level of formal, and fits you like gangbusters
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

If you don''t find a good bra, we can try the Nordy''s in SF on Saturday - the lady I''ve been going to there (the one that you found when we were looking at dresses) is like magic - she''s totally fantastic
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/11/2008 1:24:23 PM
Author: Gypsy
Will post pics of the shoes, I really like them a lot but they are open toe. Is that okay for an interview-- I've always worn close toe?
Close toe shoes seem more appropriate. That is just me, though. . . my dh has a book on interviewing and it is pretty strict. It says keep things to a minimum and going completely against Pricescope ethics, here, the rule is wear very little jewelry as men tend to not like seeing women decked out in sparkilies. Just a wedding set should be worn and possibly small gold earrings. Nothing flashy!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks AG. I''d love to hit Nordies for bra, but unfortunately my bra budget is closer Loehmans for now. Just before the wedding we''ll hit your lady up for a bra for the gown and then after the wedding we''ll hit her for ''everyday'' bras.
1.gif

MC-- we must have the same interview book. I''ve always worn close toe shoes and pearl studs. But I''m gonna bed the rules a bit, I think as I''m not interviewing at firms. I think I''m gonna go nuts with a necklace (just a simple platinum one and a platinum pendant) cause frankly, don''t give a hoot what men think about my jewelry as long as it''s tasteful. I am not going to wear my e-ring though, I don''t want to cause speculation about weddings and babies or whatever. I will wear my 7 stone ring on my left hand. As for the open toe... we''ll see. I think I''d feel a little more comfortable myself with close toed, so I''ll hunt around in my shoe closet and see what bites. I might have to stop by the cobbler though.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, I think you look fab! And yes, don''t go overboard on the jewelry, but one nice statement piece is fine IMO if you know the environment you are interviewing in.

I''d also try to stay closer to closed toed shoes if you can too...but let''s hope they aren''t making hiring decisions solely on your shoes.
2.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

You look great! I must admit the closed toe shoe rule was a surprise to me--so peep toed pumps are not apropos? No mules?

cheers--Sharon

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
*Snort* NF, I HOPE they aren''t deciding things by my shoes! I looked at my navy pumps and they are shot, and I had to toss them out. My black close toe pumps are in better shape because they just got polished so I may wear those.

Hi Sharon, well, strictly speaking no-- peep toes and mules aren''t really appropriate. Strange but true. [:lickout:

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, you look great!!! I love that suit! You will be fantastic at your interview!

I have similar hair to yours, and if I''m really fixing myself up I use a straightening iron on it. Do you ever try that? Might be a nice finishing touch with your outfit!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
TDM... My hair is one thing I've always been blessed about. Takes curl well, straightens no problem (quick brush through with a hair brush and a little heat from a hair dryer). Knock on wood. The pics is after I washed it early am, was in a humid bathroom while John was showering, and didn't brush it all day. If your hair is like mine-- a really good paddle brush and a hair dryer will do the job in about 5 minutes. I've never been able to use a straightener because the one bad tendancy my hair has is to go flat and stick to my scalp if over styled. It used to be prone to split ends too, and I'm also afraid a straighener would dry out the ends-- and I'm growing it out for the wedding (with the intention of chopping off after) pretty aggressively and don't want to damage it. If you do try a straighener, there are... balms? Gels? Anyway... products that you put on your hair before using things like that which seal in moisture and keep it healthier. I would definitely look into those (Purelogy is a pretty good brand, they probably have something).

I was worried about the length of it for the interview-- I normally keep it layered just below my shoulders and frankly it looks much more professional. But I'm planning on wearing it half back with a nice clip... and straightened (your totally right about that!) and I think it will be okay.

SarahLovesJS

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/11/2008 11:56:16 PM
Author: TanDogMom
Gypsy, you look great!!! I love that suit! You will be fantastic at your interview!

Ditto and sending lots of PS dust your way, but you probably don''t even need it!
4.gif

Dogmom

Shiny_Rock
Good luck, Gypsy. The suit is fab and I''m sure you''ll WOW them!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/11/2008 7:37:21 PM
Author: Gypsy
Thanks AG. I''d love to hit Nordies for bra, but unfortunately my bra budget is closer Loehmans for now. Just before the wedding we''ll hit your lady up for a bra for the gown and then after the wedding we''ll hit her for ''everyday'' bras.
1.gif

MC-- we must have the same interview book. I''ve always worn close toe shoes and pearl studs. But I''m gonna bed the rules a bit, I think as I''m not interviewing at firms. I think I''m gonna go nuts with a necklace (just a simple platinum one and a platinum pendant) cause frankly, don''t give a hoot what men think about my jewelry as long as it''s tasteful. I am not going to wear my e-ring though, I don''t want to cause speculation about weddings and babies or whatever. I will wear my 7 stone ring on my left hand. As for the open toe... we''ll see. I think I''d feel a little more comfortable myself with close toed, so I''ll hunt around in my shoe closet and see what bites. I might have to stop by the cobbler though.

Totally feel you on the bra budget issue - they can definitely get pricey. But I think she''d be fantastic to find something for under your wedding gown
1.gif

I think the outfit is going to be fab, and we''ll focus our makeup shopping towards stuff that will help even more - nothing looks better than confidence and you''re going to look so wonderful you''ll not be able to help feeling confident
2.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Think my pointy toed green stilettos would be professional enough for an interview?

Hee hee hee. I think you look great Gyps.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/12/2008 3:57:08 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Think my pointy toed green stilettos would be professional enough for an interview?

Hee hee hee. I think you look great Gyps.
LOL! I bet the stilettos wouldn't cut it as far as being professional. I am fortunate to be pursuing a job in retail and there is a little more freedom there as far as footwear...I just wore my peep toe red pumps (not bright red, muted red, with a conservative black pants suit) to an interview last week and have been called back for a second round...I have worn black peep toe stilettos to interviews as well and been called back and gotten the job, so sometimes footwear isn't SUCH a big deal, but I wouldn't recommend anyone following my lead. It really depends on what profession you're in and how creative you can get with your interview ensemble. Some fields appreciate a bit more style, but if you're in something where the dress code is very conservative the best bet is to play it safe and adhere to very professional standards.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results