shape
carat
color
clarity

New Job-What to wear?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I start my new job as Account Executive next week, and my first few days will be at the home office. All of my interviews happened over the phone or off-site, so I wasn''t able to gauge the company dress code. I don''t want to appear over/under dressed, I want to look polished and professional. I know most men in sales tend to wear suits, is that the same for women? I''ve recently lost a ton of weight (2 sizes-worth), and I need to get a new suit. Where can I go to get one at a reasonable price? The rest of my closet consists of more business casual attire (nice, but not suits-Banana Republic, Ann Taylor, etc).

Any advice on 1. how dressy I should try for and 2. where to shop for at least 1 possibly 2-3 new suits? Suits must be under $200.

Thanks!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm...I would probably wear a suit on the first day, but with a great blouse underneath, so that you can take off the suit jacket and not look so corporate-y if you find the business culture is more casual.

For inexpensive suits I usually try to go to Banana Republic when there is a sale and with a coupon...I''ve gotten most of mine there for around $200 once all is said and done. I don''t know if they are having any sales right now.

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Well, first of all... CONGRATS!!!
36.gif

I''d say, go for a suit to be safe and wear a shirt underneath (I''d suggest a simple button-up) that is office-appropriate enough on its own that, if you find that none of the other women are wearing suits, you can take off the jacket and **wa la** you''re in a business casual outfit.

Ann Taylor Loft is good for suits. They''re having a sale now too.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Hudson Hawk
I agree with the above. Maybe take a look at Target for suits, most malls are also having great sales right now and I know that TJ Max had some nice looking suits for a lot less when I looked, I just can''t fit myself for a suit so didn''t try them on lol.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
pant suit or skirt suit?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have any of you tried Nine West clothing? Overstock has some really nice 3-piece suits, but I have no idea how they fit. I''m about an 8 at BR, do you think I''d be about the same in NW?

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I have not tried nine west clothing yet. I think you''d be good with either for the suit, get what you''ll enjoy wearing the most!

PrincessDijon

Brilliant_Rock
I have bought many of my suits at Macy''s or Kasper Outlet (most were on sale for 40-60 per suit when they usually retailed at 200+)

Best of luck and congrats on the new job!

aprilcait

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/27/2008 4:53:14 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
pant suit or skirt suit?
I''d suggest buying a three piece suit (a suit with pants, a shirt, and a jacket). That way you get a lot more flexibility and more wardrobe staples in one shot.

As for what to wear the first day, I''d go with the pants suit to be extra-cautious.
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve never tried NW clothing, but definetly wouldn''t order any clothes online when you''re so close to starting your job. BR does have items on sale. Why not spend a day browsing the mall, putting stuff on hold and after trying out loads of stuff, go back and purchase? Go shopping soon, so you have time to get alterations done if need be.

Maybe try Nord Rack too . . .

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to buy suits at the Limited.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not planning on ordering the stuff I''m wearing next week from online, for that I''ll go to the mall. I''m just thinking about in general.

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
I have gotten suits at Ann Taylor and Banana Republic for around $200. I like both of those stores because they have petite sizes. The other place I''d suggest is a BCBG outlet, if there is one near you. I have gotten some gorgeous suits there, and between outlet pricing and sales, a suit could definitely be under $200. Even if you end up ordering online, I encourage you to go try on suits in several store, as each one cuts theirs a little differently. It may take a few tries to find the style or cut that is most flattering to you.

For the first couple days, I would suggest a black suit with a button-down or other work-appropriate top and some closed-toe heels. Black suits always look chic, and as others have said, you can easily whip off the blazer and look more casual, but still put-together. I know you said that most men in sales wear suits, and I always like to be on par, attire-wise, with the men in my workplace. Although some work environments have more relaxed dress codes for women, I still believe that wearing a suit gives you a more serious, businesslike look, which can be very important when you''re brand new.

Best of luck in your new job!

karasue91

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations!! I echo Tacori, the two suit jackets I wear most are from the Limited. But, I haven''t lived in a place with the Limited for about 5 years (no Limited in NYC, I was shocked!! and no Limited brands in Canada at all), so I don''t know if they still have good suits or not.

I just bought a pretty cute suit at Zara for about $150. It''s not fantastic quality (pants aren''t lined, I like lined pants) but it looks nice....

I wouldn''t worry about being over-dressed, and I don''t think a pant suit is any dressier than a skirt suit. Just wear what makes you feel fabulously confident!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/27/2008 4:55:08 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Have any of you tried Nine West clothing? Overstock has some really nice 3-piece suits, but I have no idea how they fit. I''m about an 8 at BR, do you think I''d be about the same in NW?
I love Nine West separates! I found a few really cute dressy blouses last fall at Nordstrom Rack, they were all silk and really well made, I think I paid $39 per blouse. I thought they ran kind of large, though. Normally I wear 8-10 but I bought the NW tops in 6''s.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results