shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Digital Camera for 9 year old

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I have been trying to figure out what to get my soon to be 9 year old son for Christmas. It was going to be a portable DVD player, but I found out one of his grandparents already got him one. My husband has suggested a digital camera since he is always trying to use ours.

So, does anyone have suggestions for a decent, easy to use & inexpensive digital camera? I am looking to spend around $100-$125. One criteria is decent battery life--preferably at least 300 shots. Also, it needs to be rugged enough to endure some knocking around as I''m sure my son will not be as careful as I am with my camera. Movie feature with sound would be nice as it''s one of my son''s favorite features on my camera.

Any help, greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Toys R Us has a couple digital cameras for kids (29.99-69.99) on their website, Mattel makes one for girls, I''m not sure about for boys, and Kodak has one out for kids now. Good luck with your search...I just did a search for "digital cameras for kids" on the internet, and that''s what came up.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
OK, my cousin received one of those cheaper kids oriented cameras for Christmas last year, and...he hasn''t touched it because it didnt work well at all. I mean, he was so excited to get it, so I think that is an awesome gift, he was 9 or 10, but I wouldn''t go with the super cheap kids oriented ones.

I looked on Bestbuy.com and there were a lot in the $150 range, I saw some marked as low as $129 and then there were a bunch that were on sale and you had to add them to your cart to see...so I''d go through and check those if you had time, or just go to the store. Also look on Amazon.com, I found my camera for a good price there. The basic memory cards that are included with the camera usually aren''t the big, so that would be an additional expense if you want it to hold 300 pictures. Would he need to hold 300 pictures?...but they''d be able to tell you which one at the store. Also depends on the size settings you''ll select on the camera as well.

Sounds like a fun xmas gift for him if it works out!

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
I looked online for kids & digital cameras too. It seems the ones specifically made for kids don''t work all that well, so most recommendations are toward low-end adult ones.

One site recommended the Canon PowerShot A410. Does anyone know anythng about this one? I can of course look up the specs which I already did, but any real-life use advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

We have a lower-end adult camera by Toshiba and it''s so easy to work, my 5 YO takes pictures with it. We''ve had problems with the upload port, but this is after a few years of use, so I won''t recommend the one we have, but will say that the adult-camera route is the way to go. We purchased a few cheap cameras for my sons at Toys R Us and most of them cannot handle the abuse of a kid and end up breaking.

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
My MIL bought my daughter an inexpensive digital Kodak camera for less than $100. It''s a Kodak EasyShare CX7300. It is a simple little camera, it was easy for her to learn to use, she can make movies on it, and she loves it! It''s not so expensive it will break the bank, and it''s not crappy quality like those digital cameras marketed for kids. My husband took the camera with him on a business trip to India and took outstanding photos with it (he couldn''t take mine because I need it for my business).

My MIL got it at Target and I can''t recommend it highly enough as a great little camera for someone who''s too young for an expensive camera and too old for a kiddie camera!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results