shape
carat
color
clarity

Men''s Watch?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ilovebling

Rough_Rock
My husband needs a new watch but I''m not sure what to get him. Any ideas? He is pretty rough with them - he washes his hands very frequently at work and he broke the clasp on his last watch, so nothing too pricey.
I figured this would be the best place to ask! :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i have a $75 Invicta.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
You didn''t say what he does...but Bulova is good watch that should last a long time if he''s in a dressier environment! You can get an awesome deal on watches on Overstock.com too!

And, I can''t say enough about GShock watches for the rough and tumble sort of guy. My husband destroys everything, and he can''t even ruin his! Diving, jumping out of planes...you name it, and it keeps on working!

My son has just outgrown the kids size, and I got him a man''s one ($40 at Costco which is a steal)...and it looks a bit big, but he''s loving it!

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Watches are such a personal things.

I think I would ask him if he had any particular preference...and what kind of strap/bracelet he would find the most comfortable?

Blod
9.gif

ilovebling

Rough_Rock
He will pick in the end but he''s not that into fashion as I am, so I figured I''d give him a few options and see what he likes best.

Is Invicta a good brand? I''ve only seen it on discount watch sites online.

Do you think round or a rectangular face is better for a guy in his late 20s? I need to pay attention to guys'' watches now to see what looks good!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/23/2006 4:37:02 PM
Author: ilovebling
He will pick in the end but he''s not that into fashion as I am, so I figured I''d give him a few options and see what he likes best.

Is Invicta a good brand? I''ve only seen it on discount watch sites online.

Do you think round or a rectangular face is better for a guy in his late 20s? I need to pay attention to guys'' watches now to see what looks good!
depends on what do you mean by good brand.
20.gif
33.gif

Sparkling Spirit

Rough_Rock
Hello! I have been lurking for a month or two, but finally decided to register when I saw this post. My husband loves watches, and through the years (especially this year) I have done quite a bit of research on the topic.

Upfront, Tawn is right about the prices on Overstock.com! Plus, they are having a 15% off sale that ends July 24 (today). Tawn is also right about the G-shock... these watches are very durable and suitable for an active lifestyle. My husband has a G-shock dive watch that is reliable and logs dive depth, etc. automatically. Here are some reviews on the G-shock, FYI. The G-shock is my husband''s choice for active sports.
http://www.reviewwatches.com/brands/g_shock_watches.asp

The definition of a "good watch" is very dependent upon lifestyle and budget. Over the years I have ended up buying my husband several watches... in fact, he now has a watch box for his small collection. The reason I have ultimately bought several watches is because there are various lifestyle capacities in which they will function.

For the first watch I bought him, I chose a "middle of the road" style that was both durable and looked good enough for dress wear. My husband is very active and so the watch could not be too delicate. I looked for a watch with a sapphire crystal, which is scratch resistant, and I looked for a Swiss movement, since they have a reputation of great timekeeping. Water resistance depths were also important to me. My husband is of medium build, so I wanted a watch with a medium-sized face as opposed to something really bulky. Ultimately got him a Tag Heuer. I''m not sure what is "too pricey..." Overstock has Tags right now for under $800.

Another well-made option would be Raymond Weil. Overstock has several choices under $400.

Over time, I found that my husband could use a dressier watch for special occasions. That is what I was looking for this year, when I picked up researching watches again and bought him an Ebel 1911 automatic movement with diamond ''digits''. I just love the 1911, an elegant classic that is a slim style just perfect on my husband''s arm!

Here is a link I found useful when comparing better brands of watches:
http://www.chronocentric.com/watches/brands.shtml

Here is an index of watch info from the same site, Chronocentric.com
http://chronocentric.com/contents/consumers.shtml

Here is a forum of watch reviews.
http://www.reviewwatches.com/

I hope this info on watches helps! Good luck in your choice!
35.gif

ilovebling

Rough_Rock

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/24/2006 8:34:40 PM

Date: 7/24/2006 2:31:35 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 7/23/2006 4:37:02 PM

Is Invicta a good brand?
depends on what do you mean by good brand.
20.gif
33.gif

I guess is it equivalent to a Bulova or lower?
Invicta is a good watch for under $100. mine is a auto with a japanese movement.my avatar is a 18k PG Lange 1 made in Germany.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/23/2006 9:43:40 AM
Author: blodthecat
Watches are such a personal things.

I think I would ask him if he had any particular preference...and what kind of strap/bracelet he would find the most comfortable?

Blod
9.gif
that''s why i''m buying both of my Brit GFs a Patek Philippe.
9.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hey - my DH and I are both addicted to Skagen watches. Its a Danish brand, runs about $85-$120, but you can probably find them cheaper online at discount sites. They are very simple and sleek-looking, very comfortable, and for (I''ve been wearing them for 10 years now), very durable.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results