shape
carat
color
clarity

Louis Vuitton - Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jo

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

My husband wants to get me this LV bag. I just wanted to get opinions on whether or not it will go with the rest of my wardrobe. My lifestyle is casual; wear a lot of black Theory pants, Juicy Coutoure velour, jeans and t-shirts.

I want something youthful and with-it, yet classic; stylish without being flashy.

Because of the odd shape, will it be yesterday''s news next year?

Opinions gals?

PurseSm.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would prefer the LV bag Mara had for her birthday, as the shape is more traditional, that bag just seems an odd shape to me, and one that might possibly date quite quickly, however it might suit your tastes exactly. What a nice Hubby to offer to get you a LV bag!

Here is the thread for Mara's bag Here

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm Jo I agree with Lorelei somewhat on the shape of the bag...but I will say that I think most of the LV's go with almost anything in terms of clothing...you can get away with alot fashion-wise, with a Gucci or LV bag on your arm IMO!
2.gif

I think that shape is pretty trendy right now, but it will eventually not be as popular...however from what my girlfriend says who has been collecting LV's since she was about 15...they always come back into style. She had her Papillon from when she was sweet 16 I think and it just came back into style last year! So she brought it out and wore it again. So I think with most of the styles, they do come back...if you can wait 15-20 years!
9.gif

There are so many LV's I want, I can't even keep track!!

Aurora Borealis

Shiny_Rock
I think that if you will be wearing a lot of sweats and T-shirts perhaps something less structured will be more suitable. I personally am not a fan of the monogram line or the Ellipse shape. However, the colors will indeed match a lot of outfits.

Jo

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all for your feedback - definitely the shape is food for thought. Sounds like the general thought is the shape may be too trendy.

Mara, I see you''d started a new LV post. Will tune in there.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I personally don''t like the shape of the purse. However my SIL got one a few years ago, so it''s been around and it seems like it''s a style that LV will continue. With that said, I don''t think you have to worry too much about it going out of style if you really like it. But if you don''t, then I would definitely go for a different purse.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you checked out the LV Manhatten PM bag?? I got one for Christmas. Pics can be found in the holiday thread in SMTR.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
here they are
lvbags111x.JPG

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
bagg22cv.JPG

Jo

Shiny_Rock
kaleigh and sevens one - Great bag. The newer bags like that one are designed by Marc Jacobs. I can certainly see his influence with the shape, pockets and buckle design. Reminds me of the MJ Blake that I got last year.

Thanks everyone for replies!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I have this bag and I like it. It also continues to be one of their most popular selling handheld bags. I thnk the Speedy is Number1.
It''s a handheld bag so you can''t really compare it to the bag that Mara has. Two completely different styles and looks. I have both and I can tell you that between the two, I prefer the this one over the other one and use this one more. Then again, I prefer carry bags and I don''t like the thinner shoulder straps on the coussin.
If you don''t mind carrying a bag on your hand or your wrist, then this is a very nice bag to get and unique as well because it doesn''t have a typical shape.
The only drawback that I can say is that it is kind of heavy, but you can fit a lot of stuff into it because of it''s size, even if you get the smaller one.
When I went to go look at the Speedy at the LV store, the salesperson told me that the reason why it is more expensive than the Speedy is because it is a more sturdier/structured bag and therefore cost more for them to make. She said that both bags can carry about the same amount of stuff.
As far as going out of style, this particular style has been around for years, my co worker has had hers for 20 years, so she says, so don''t worry about it going out of style. If you love it, get it.
I also like kaleigh''s bag, but I still prefer this style more. If anything, I feel the Manhattan is a more seasonal/trendy bag ( satchel type bags with side pockets are very "in" at this time) that may go out of style eventually, and therefore has more of a chance of going out of "style" than this bag.
Anyway, just my two cents.
2.gif

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
I believe the LV in your photo is the Elliptical - - it''s been around for years and is certainly a classic.

However, a friend of mine who carries one says that because it doesn''t open very wide and is kind of stiff, it''s sometimes hard to get your hand into or out of ...

If you don''t already have a Speedy (i.e., the classic LV monogram bag that looks like a doctor''s satchel), that might be a better choice for you - - the Speedy comes in 2 sizes: 25 and 35. Both sizes are large enough to hold lots of stuff (actually, the Speedy 35 is HUGE and is not well-suited for smaller people, IMO). The Speedy is classic, it will never go out of style, and if you decide to add pieces like the Keepall (which is an overnight duffle) or luggage, the Speedy looks great with those items, too!

Hope this helps. Good luck with whatever you decide! LV makes a GREAT gift for any occassion!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I really like the Elipse, but when I got my LV Speedy a couple years ago, I decided against it too. My reasons were: (1) Much higher price, and (2) Possibly too trendy and would go out. I decided that the Speedy had been around forever and if I was spending that kind of money on a handbag, I wanted to know it would never go out. I love the shape and design though. The Speedy is a little boring but very functional, and I use is all the time.

I''d love an LV shoulder bag one of these days, but I like jewelry more.
9.gif

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
I just noticed there''s a picture of Rascal''s Speedy 25 at the end of the LV Yums! thread - -

DiamondLil is absolutely right ... whenever I carry my Speedy and pass myself in a mirror, I can''t get over how fashionable and ''right'' it looks, even if I''m just wearing jeans or velour sweats or something.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flipping heck!
6.gif
6.gif
6.gif
My Hubby is going to ban me from PS soon, I KNOW he is as all you naughtly ladies have started yet ANOTHER damaging to his wallet obsession........

PURSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or handbags as we say in Blighty! LV one day here I come!
31.gif
3.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2006 8:13:09 AM
Author: BrownEyes
I just noticed there's a picture of Rascal's Speedy 25 at the end of the LV Yums! thread - -

DiamondLil is absolutely right ... whenever I carry my Speedy and pass myself in a mirror, I can't get over how fashionable and 'right' it looks, even if I'm just wearing jeans or velour sweats or something.
So true. I wear my speedy with everything. The 25 fit my size because I'm only 5'4, but the 30 is better for some. One of my best friends is 5'11" in her bare feet (she normally wears heels so is over 6'). The 25 looked silly on her, but the 30 was just right. Don't we look cute when we are out together with our Speedies . . . . . NOT!
32.gif

I really like the new Koala agend with pink inside. That's on my wish list too. Kaleigh got one for Christmas, and I'm so envious!
2.gif

ETA: Note to Kaleigh, love the new avitar. The pic looks so good.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I have the Speedy 25 as well and the Ellipse definitely has a much wider opening. The zipper goes half way down the sides of the bag whereas on the Speedy, it is just on the top. I have a much easier time fitting things into the Ellipse than the Speedy.

I love the Speedy 25 though, I only wish the handles where a tiny bit longer as it''s hard to get it over my coat sleeve.

As someone else mentioned, when I look in the mirror and carry it, it seems to me the perfect size. I am 5'' 4" as well.

Now that I think about it, the Speedy 25 is a PERFECT starter LV bag. It is just the right size, not as expensive as other models and definitely a classic.

Yes, definitely get the Speedy over the Ellipse.
2.gif

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i agree- the shape just doesn''t do it for me. it reminds me of a baseball. i think you can find something that will fit better with your look and lifestyle.

Jo

Shiny_Rock
So to further this story, my husband surprised me with the bag this morning! It is fun and different. I will say it''s quite a departure from the MJ bags with harware and exterior pockets (like the Blake) that I''ve carried for the past couple of years.

One hesitation is that I saw a little lady in her 80''s with the bag recently. So I was thinking this could be a bag the the older set carries.

butterfly 17 - I''m glad you tossed in your $.02 because I think I recall you are younger.

I did swing by the LV store (without telling my husband) and saw the attached bag. It''s a cute shape. Just not sure I''m crazy about the checkered pattern. Also, it''s not secure as it does not zip on top. The red suede is devine...

We gals have such problems!!!

Manosque.jpg

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Jo, funny you should mention that you love Juicy sets, I do as well.
Actually, what possessed me to buy this bag is one day I saw this younger looking woman (but not that young because she had her daughter, about 6 or 7 with her) and she was wearing a juicy terry hoodie set in a bright fuschia color and sneakers and had the Ellipse PM on her arm and I absolutely fell in love with it.

I thought she just looked so classy and it was so different.

Fast forward a few weeks later and my coworker (not the one who has had it for 20 year) comes into work in a gray flannel tracksuit and is carrying this bag. I asked her if I could see it and she lets me and I made up my mind that I wanted this bag.

Still, I waited months and months to get it because I wanted to make sure I really loved the style and through the process of waiting, watched the price go up twice!!! When I first decided I wanted it, it was something like $725, then it went up to $785 and now it''s up to $800+.

Even after getting it, I was so afraid to use it, I would take it out of the dustbag and inspect it and gently place it back. I know, pathetic, but it''s the first LV bag I really loved.

Congratulations on your new bag purchase, and hopefully, the first of many!
2.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok..what the heck is going on with this photo---whipped cream and vaseline on the nightstand
31.gif

I like the shape of Mara''s better than this bowling style. But I also like the shape of Kaleighs.

vaselinewhippedcream.jpg

Jo

Shiny_Rock
butterfly 17 - Loved hearing your story and about other people carrying the bag. Let''s me know that it will go with my stuff and not necessarily a bag for older ladies. I feel like you, as well as my husband, that it''s kinda cute and quirky. And since I have other MJ bags with the popular square/rectanuglar shape I''m leaning towards keeping it...the fact that it is different is a plus given that it''s different than the other bags in my closet.

Appreciate the feedback!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/6/2006 7:00:37 PM
Author: ame

Ok..what the heck is going on with this photo---whipped cream and vaseline on the nightstand
31.gif

I like the shape of Mara''s better than this bowling style. But I also like the shape of Kaleighs.
Oh for heavens sakes, that is Crabtree and Evelyn room spray, and vaseline for my lips as in chapped lips. Oh geez, now you''ll make a joke of that too. Get your mind out of the gutter girlfriend, Lol!!!
6.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
HAHA. I just laughed to myself and my husband was like "wow she musta been thanking him"

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
He wishes, Lol!! He''s still waiting
31.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Wow Ame- I was in the room and I didn''t even notice that stuff. Haaa

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
My husband was over here laughing his head off. We are sickos.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha I didn''t even notice that at all, I was too busy looking at the amazing LV!!!

Oh I did notice the chair in the background though!

Kayla, it''s funny you mention LV and Juicy because my gf who just got the new Manhatten (and a new across the body Gucci from her Mom that is really cute) wears tons of Juicy too and she sounds like the twin to the gal in your story, always wearing a Juicy outfit and an LV bag!

Aurora Borealis

Shiny_Rock
There are actually four sizes of Speedys, not two: 25, 30, 35, and 40...with 25 and 30 being the most popular.
1.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Good eyes, Ame!!!! LMAO!!! Yea sure, Kaleigh, room spray. Like we''re going to buy that.
2.gif
9.gif
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results