shape
carat
color
clarity

Kitchen counters - laminate or $$...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fisiogrl

Shiny_Rock
I hate my 1980s dusty rose kitchen counters!

So I am ready to pay for new ones. What do people recommend? My budget runs to laminate only, unfortunately. I have seen the square edge, rounded, etc. And I don''t like the ''roll-up back'' - so that will be straight.

What do you think of metal edging or wood instead of rolling the laminate down?

My cabinets are white, so I am leaning towards a charcoal or faux concrete colour.

Are there any realtors in the crowd? Do you recoup the money if you actually put in the granite or stone instead?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is laminate like those Formica ones that have the speckled patterns and stuff? If so, those can be pretty cool...I have seen them paired with some great cabinets, aka dark cherry cabinets and the dark charcoal counters is very edgy.

Anyway...we got granite tiles for our kitchen and it was definitely a splurge but it seems like around here when you have the upgraded tiles and stuff it does bode better for desirability in the house, not sure if you recoup MORE money because of it, but I definitely think the townhouses in our complex sell faster when they are upgraded.

I was a bit worried about the wearability of the granite, having heard a few horror stories re: care and stains, but I put 4 coats of sealant on it when we moved in and we are very careful with it, it actually still looks amazing after 2 years and the only ''oops'' stains that have not come out are right near the stove, aka where oil splatters or ssomething and even then it doesn''t look BAD..the granite is just slightly darker there, barely noticeable really.

I was worried thinking, oh gosh are we really going to be good about remembering to wipe down the counters, not leave water on them, not put wet glasses on it, to always use something down on the counter first, aka cutting board, or this or that, but we really have been great about it, so I''m very happy with the granite and our care of it. Just my thoughts in case you do get something other than the Formica.

One other thought, who are you buying from and having install? My friend who has had alot of remodeling done to her house swears by using a general contractor who is experienced with something like rather than a kitchen remodeling store''s contractors or similar, because you can save some money using a freelancer. They may also be able to buy the materials for you or sometimes you can actually order online from direct wholesalers to the public, they just cut out the middleman (the store). I did this with my flooring a few years ago and got the materials (all brand name) online for about 1/2 price over retail. Just a suggestion or thought in case you wanted to maybe price out doing this for a more expensive type like granite or something.

I also love the look of those black slate counters, but I have no idea on maintenance for those!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have ceramic tiles on our kitchen countertops. I think they look great. FI installed them himself so if you know someone who can install them that will save you money. FI did granite tile in our guest bath (much cheaper than slab plus he can install it himself). There seems to be a lot of newer materials out there today but I am not sure on the prices. I would just take a trip to your local lowes/home depot and look around. I think if you pick something neutral you will increase your home''s value.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I would not recc a wood edge unless there are like 50 coats of polly on it. I had cherry edging and in 3 years it was waterstained big time. Got rid of it and went with granite. Get the best grade laminate they make and it should last forever. If you will be selling in the near future granite would definately be a plus. When we were researching alternatives we found out that you recoup a big chunk of the cost at resale. There are also lots of different pricepoints. We went with black impala which is one of the cheaper ones. If your kitchen is small it may be more affordable than you think.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
Forgot to attach pic. Here is the black impala.It would look great with white cabinents.

kitchen done (422 x 317).jpg

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
If you go with laminate, the advantage of the rolled-edge over the chrome and/or wood edge is that there will be no seams at the edge to collect dirt and grime ... IMO, the chrome edge gives a somewhat dated look ... PLUS, the chrome tends to pull loose over time and it''s difficult to clean the groove where the laminate meets the chrome ...

I agree with all the comments above re: granite or another composite material like Corian or Silestone ... the major chain stores (i.e., Lowe''s and/or Home Depot) offer the more popular granite colors at great prices, and they often run specials on the other composites as well ...

Granite countertops do add value to a home ... More importantly, it seems that installing laminate counters might actually de-value a kitchen, since most prospective buyers would probably want to replace the laminate regardless of how new it is ...

Like WTNLVR, when we re-modeled our kitchen, we chose black granite counters over our dark cherry cabinets ... we purchased the granite counters through Lowe''s and were amazed at how reasonable the price was for our fairly large kitchen.

However, one of my favorite items in the kitchen was unbelieveable reasonable in price - a black granite double sink ... this sink is very easy to clean and looks so seamless and beautiful in our kitchen ... Here''s a link to one that''s similar:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=171210-1475-FGS3322-4&lpage=none

Good luck to you, whatever you decide!
4.gif

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
Have you considered concrete countertops? They''re quite fabulous looking and materials are cheap if you''re the DIY type, they''re not supposed to be difficult...just heavy. We''ve been researching countertop options as well and I keep leaning towards finished concrete with Brazilian cherry floors or travertine tile (heated below) and a soapstone farmhouse sink.

The photo is just an example. There is lots of info on the net and lots of contractors doing this now. DH & I are handy enough that we''ll be doing it ourselves so I can slurge in other areas.

wheeler2.jpg

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
I like the look of Formica. I love granite of course too, but Formica is cheaper. My mom has cream colored cabinets and she went for a green-speckled forminca. It looks kind of like green granite. It''s looks very nice! And it just has squared off corners. You could do most of your counters in a Formica and then install a wood block as a cutting counter! Then you really wouldn''t have to mind tooo much if it got scratched, cause hey, it''s a cutting board! I think it would look neat
1.gif

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/25/2006 9:10:06 PM
Author: cnspotts
Have you considered concrete countertops? They''re quite fabulous looking and materials are cheap if you''re the DIY type, they''re not supposed to be difficult...just heavy. We''ve been researching countertop options as well and I keep leaning towards finished concrete with Brazilian cherry floors or travertine tile (heated below) and a soapstone farmhouse sink.

The photo is just an example. There is lots of info on the net and lots of contractors doing this now. DH & I are handy enough that we''ll be doing it ourselves so I can slurge in other areas.

CNS, the concrete doesn''t chip off on the corners?

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
As a home builder, I use granite in kitchens, bathrooms and outdoor kitchens. But it is costly.

If your budget only allows laminate, go look at all the new selections. There are laminates from Wilson Art and Formica that mimic granite and other stones. I use to use laminates in laundry spaces, but I''m using granite in there also now.

You could use the laminate on just the counter top and use tumbled marble tiles (4x4) for the backsplash. Or whatever tiles you like. Don''t use large 12" tiles unless you have a large space. If you use the chiseled edge on the laminate, it is a more contemporary look. I personally like the rounded, bullnose edge. Update your sink and faucet. Maybe splurge on cabinet knobs to update also.

fisiogrl

Shiny_Rock
Good point about the gap between the edging one the countertops - I don''t want them changing colours or having dirt stuck in them. Maybe I will consider the regular square edge afterall.

I forget how much I was quoted for granite - but I think that it was about $7-8000 vs. $1000 for the formica/laminate. Seems such a huge difference, and since we will only be here another 2 years, I can''t quite justify it.

I do like that Black Impala though....

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Is corian ( I almost wrote coriander LOL), or swanstone or silestone or whatever it''s called *that* much more than laminate???

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
mmm, corian and silestone rival granite and in some areas, can actually cost more. neither are anywhere near laminate in price.

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Belle''s right.

Corian, Silestone and some of the newer quartz products are as costly as granite. $40.00 sq. ft and up

In Houston, there is a lot of competition for your granite business. I have seen some granites priced as low as $29.00 sq.ft.
Of course, that is going to be a basic plentiful granite like Uba Tuba (green/black) and some of the brown mixes.

Laminate runs around $12.00 -16.00 sq. ft. here (my price, not sure what retail is, but probably not much more.)

Another option would be low cost tiles for the counters and the backsplash.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
We used Cambria for the kitchen countertops in our recent remodel. It is a quartz composite like Silestone that looks like granite, but is nonporous and does not have to be sealed. We love it, but the cost is right about the same as granite. We used Corian in the laundry room which is a solid surface product. It was more than laminate but not as expensive as the Cambria. It is more prone to scratching, but the scratches can be buffed out. I like the smooth feel and the way the sink can be integrated.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
In that case I would def do laminate over tiles only b/c once you have a crack or break, you're screwed. At least the laminate won't chip and your grout lines won't get dirty (unless you go dark grout)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2006 11:46:50 AM
Author: moremoremore
In that case I would def do laminate over tiles only b/c once you have a crack or break, you''re screwed. At least the laminate won''t chip and your grout lines won''t get dirty (unless you go dark grout)

We have white grout on our tile countertops and my grandmother spilled coffee and I guess didn''t notice so it left a stain. I had one of those bleach pen and it looks as good as new. It worked perfectly on the grout. I personally think tile counters are an upgrated look from laminate. There are some beautiful tiles out there.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
we have lightish grout in our 12x12 floor tiles and i bought the bleach pen but just have not used it...i''m tempted now!

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
Hi just returned from Lowe''s where my DH and I purchased a new front-loading washer/dryer ...

While there, I had the opportunity to look at some of the granite, composite and laminate countertop options ...

I must admit that the new natural-looking laminates are BEAUTIFUL! PLUS, in addition to the round, bull-nose and bezel edgeoptions, there is also a vinyl edge option that looks great!

More often than not, I believe the vinyl edge is used when laminate is used to create desk space and other work areas (i.e., this is the way the service desk counter at Lowe''s is created ... ). But the vinyl edge offers a very clean and integrated look.

At our Lowe''s, they used charcoal grey speckled laminate with the black vinyl edge to create the service desk counter, and it really looked great ... I could see it with cherry cabinets and dark cabinet hardware ...

PLUS, my original kitchen had no-nonsense laminate countertops that lasted beautifully for the last 16+ years until we re-modeled ...

Just thought I''d share ...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2006 1:11:27 PM
Author: Mara
we have lightish grout in our 12x12 floor tiles and i bought the bleach pen but just have not used it...i''m tempted now!

Mara I am in love with my bleach pen. I use it on my white towels too! It is great!

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2006 6:29:36 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring

Date: 2/27/2006 1:11:27 PM
Author: Mara

Mara I am in love with my bleach pen. I use it on my white towels too! It is great!
That''s just what I need. Where did you buy your bleach pens?

Thanks,

Heather

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I love my granite!!!! We''ve had ours for 7 years and have never babied it at all. I''ve never sealed it, and it looks as shiney today as the day it was installed. I put hot pans on it, cut on it, spill on it, and we have kids so basic glop can sit there for a while before even being noticed. I think it is the best investment we made to our house. I''m sure it''s a HUGE plus when selling (although we don''t plan to move for many years). Now that I''ve had granite, I''d never have laminate again.

Our Lowe''s runs a special on a selection of different granite colors every couple of months. At $50 per sq. foot intstalled, I think it is a bargain. Ubatuba was once a premium granite. Now it''s considered a basic and is much more afforable. We have Violetta which is black/taupe/burgundy speckled. Actually, I like them all.
9.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m kinda shopping for countertops too (replacing ancient Burgandy formica stuff with metal 50''s diner edging: don''t do it!!!)

Does anyone have experience with Carerra marble? Slab or tiles?

I have a really "vintage" looking kitchen and most magazine spreads show that look with the white/grey veined marble ... but I heard it stains really easily. Granite would look too contemporary I think (unless super neutral, camel or something) ...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
hlmr-I got mine at the supermarket. I know they have them at the mart stores (k-mart, target, wal-mart). I have even used it on our bath mat when FI refused to remove his muddy shoes.
29.gif
They are great. Mine is Clorex brand and has two points. One is thin like a pen and one is thicker like a market.

Deco- have you seen limestone?
30.gif
I love the look and it is not shiney. White marble would be beautiful but require lots of care and is lots of money. I heard Granite is actually going out of style *gasp*. I am not saying I still wouldn''t use it because it is beautiful but just something to think about.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2006 9:25:57 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
hlmr-I got mine at the supermarket. I know they have them at the mart stores (k-mart, target, wal-mart).
ThanksTacori!

Heather

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/4/2006 9:18:48 PM
Author: decodelighted
I''m kinda shopping for countertops too (replacing ancient Burgandy formica stuff with metal 50''s diner edging: don''t do it!!!)

Does anyone have experience with Carerra marble? Slab or tiles?

I have a really ''vintage'' looking kitchen and most magazine spreads show that look with the white/grey veined marble ... but I heard it stains really easily. Granite would look too contemporary I think (unless super neutral, camel or something) ...
Although marble is beautiful, I would not recommend it for a kitchen. It is much more porous than granite and will stain easily. The maintenance would drive me insane.
1.gif

fisiogrl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all the discussion!

Posting on here is a bit like talking out loud and then brainstorming - always to useful. I am still thinking that laminate will be the way to go for us - simply because of the cost. I have been swayed away from putting a wood or metal edge though after listening to you guys.

I went to a pizza place last night and they had a fabulous counter top, which I initially thought was granite - but turned out to be a really dark laminate with the squared off edge. The join matched the laminate exactly so at first glance it fooled me.

....ofcourse now I want a bleach pen too!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results