shape
carat
color
clarity

help shopping for tall men's clothes...

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Now that I am married I have taken over the clothes shopping for my husband. Thank goodness!

I am trying to figure out what brands of men's clothing are typically for taller men (shirts and sweaters). My husband is tall and slender so many brands that have a "long" size are often too wide.. and when searching for sweaters all we get is S, M, L, XL, etc.

We found Hugo boss shirts seem to be longer, but I am trying to find some sweaters for him and selection is slim.

Any good suggests where to shop and/or what brands typically have longer shirts/sweaters?

THX!

IdLikeToBuyAVal

Shiny_Rock
We struggle with this too! My husband likes the dress shirts at Jos. A. Bank stores. We go for the "traveler" in a fitted size and you can choose the sleeve length needed as well. They nip in at the waist to fit really nicely and have great fabric so they last quite a while and usually don't require an iron. A nice, more wallet friendly alternative we've found is the Van Heusen dress shirts (check JCPenney's) that also come in fitted sizes and different sleeve lengths but they do tend to wrinkle more easily and will need to be touched up with the iron when you wash them.

I like the Polo sweaters for him as the sleeves seem to be a little longer than some of the other brands but sweaters are really difficult to find! I shop at TJ Maxx often for stuff for myself and will sometimes find nice dress shirts in fitted and tall (and even ties in longer lengths!) and will pick them up. There is also a Nordstrom Rack near work and they have a great selection of men's dress shirts and they will be the common department store brands.

Good luck and I will be watching this thread for other suggestions too!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
My husband is 6'5" and the stuff that fits him best is from a JC penney online store where they sell pretty much any size you can imagine.

wannaBMrsH

Brilliant_Rock
My DH is 6'5" and has a 35 inch waist and we find clothes for him at the following stores:

Undershirts: Hanes (they make Medium XLong undershirts, we always stock up on those)
Casual Shirts: Old Navy, Gap and JCrew sell Medium Tall shirts online
Dress Shirts: Gap, Banana Republic, JCrew, Amazon.com all sell 15 1/2 or 16 by 36-37
Sweaters: Banana Republic, JCrew, Amazon.com
Jeans: Lucky, American Eagle Outfitters, JCrew all sell 36x36 (he doesn't like his jeans tight)
Dress Pants: Calvin Klein, Hugo Boss and Prada all make great 35x36 dress pants
Suits: Calvin Klein, Hugo Boss, Prada and Gucci all carry 42XL suits off the rack and the first two are great for everyday work suits
Dress Suits: Ermenegildo Zegna, Armani and Bottega Venetta all make amazing custom suiting and the cost already includes a perfect tailored fit.
Tuxes: He initially started out with a Ralph Lauren tux, but in the last couple of years went ahead and bought a custom tux after the realized that he was wearing his dress suits to formal events because they looked better than his tux.
Outerwear: His favorite coat is from Banana Republic, he ordered it online and it was the last Medium Tall. He also has a casual jacket from Amazon.com and several sweaters and fleece jackets.

The deals are out there...but unfortunately, we have to dig and dig to find them!

DearBuddha

Brilliant_Rock
DH is 6'2" and 180 lbs. He mostly buys his shirts from Express and Banana Republic (for work) and Old Navy (casual wear). He also has them tailored by this AMAZING tailor in Hong Kong, who then ships the finished products back here to the US. It's pricey, but the clothes fit him better than anything else (and they're one of a kind!).

My FIL is 6'4" and 200 lbs (with incredibly long arms!), and he shops almost exclusively at Eddie Bauer because their shirts are the only ones that are long enough for his arms.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband is 6'4".

He does well at Nordstroms (sale items), Land's End, Eddie Bauer has some talls, Dillard's, Murdoch's (ranch store) and IZOD.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
DH is 6'6". I was just doing some shopping for him. Try out LLBean and I believe that Eddie Bauer has talls available as well.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Again, tall slender/muscular husband. We've found:

1) Hugo Boss. They have a line that caters to narrow fit/longer sleeves.
2) Paul Smith. Suits, slacks and shirts. Gorgeous fabrics and tailoring.
3) Dolce & Gabanna. They also have a line that has longer silouettes/sleeves. Sexy.
4) Prada. Often works.
5) Facconable. Nice shirts/long sleeves.
6) Zegna. Measure sleeve length first, but good quality.
7) Klauss Boehler. Great shirts in "long" and sweaters.
8) Jeans. Nudie. Some Prada. Some 7's. Some Guess. R & R's.
9) Some Etro and some Burberry.

cheers--Sharon

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Gap, Brooks Brothers, Paul Smith, Paul Stewart, Ralph Lauren, Banana Republic, Levis

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
I cannot think of the brand right now, but my husband got some nice xl tall shirts in athletic cut at carsons some time ago. Otherwise some brands of shirts in the tall size were like mumus on him!

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
6 feet 3 inches and about 175-180 or so. Hugo Boss, Lands End, sometimes tall sizes in dept. store brands. Banana Republic, Gap, Facconable,LL Bean all have tall sizes, especially online. Even H & M, if you buy the things that say that they are made in Europe. They are longer. :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results