shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a flat TV

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Hi All,

Just got back from opening our wedding gifts and received a good chunk of change. Although we plan on saving a lot of the money, we also plan on getting a flat, skinny, TV.

Here''s what we''re looking for:

1. Less than $1500
2. Must be at least 32"
3. A somewhat reputable brand.

Any links or advice would be well appreciated!

Thanks.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
we were looking at some previously and i think i recall amazon.com''s reviews to be pretty handy on models people owned...there was something about sound not being great with some manufacturers, and picture quality as well. i vaguely recall that toshiba was one that was highly recommended but i think it was also one of the more expensive! sony was recommended as well, and again it was pricey. so we decided to put off shopping for a while til we knew what we really wanted...have fun shopping and keep us posted as it may be handy for us too..hehee.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
www.cnet.com

best of luck jelly! hope you get something good!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Two words- Sharp Aquos!!!!! Amazing!!!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2006 8:13:36 PM
Author:Jelly
Hi All,

Just got back from opening our wedding gifts and received a good chunk of change. Although we plan on saving a lot of the money, we also plan on getting a flat, skinny, TV.

Here''s what we''re looking for:

1. Less than $1500
2. Must be at least 32''
3. A somewhat reputable brand.

Any links or advice would be well appreciated!

Thanks.
for the money?
20.gif
...i heard is a Panasonic plasma.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/18/2006 9:12:03 PM
Author: moremoremore
This is an excellent tv - picture and sound quality are outstanding!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely right on MMM! We have three of them and they are fantastic TVs!!!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Well it''s definitely worth a try on Amazon.com. I don''t know what they have in term of your price range, but we got a LCD from them and their price was the best. DH said that he checked on the price of the specific TV that we wanted from different sellers and direct from Amazon.com, and when he went back to one direct from Amazon.com again, their price got lower. We think they might be tracking what he looked at and bet the prices of all the other sellers. Don''t know if it''s true, but we got a great price from it.

You might also want to check Costco. Our friend is planning to get one from them because he said their prices are good. We didn''t check them out because they didn''t have what we wanted, so I can''t give you specific.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I really love mine. We got a small one for the bedroom...wished we got the larger...but it''s still fab....!!! :)

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
I've gotta ask the question...is there anything worth watching on TV?

That's why I wouldn't invest big $ on a TV

that's just moi

Blod
35.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/19/2006 1:32:36 PM
Author: blodthecat
I''ve gotta ask the question...is there anything worth watching TV?

That''s why I wouldn''t invest big $ on a TV

that''s just moi

Blod
35.gif
yes, we get a free tour of Buckingham Palace and #10 Downing St.
25.gif

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2006 1:32:36 PM
I''ve gotta ask the question...is there anything worth watching TV?

That''s why I wouldn''t invest big $ on a TV

that''s just moi

Blod
35.gif
We just got a subscription (as a wedding gift) to netflix, where you send out for endless DVDs.

Shows we watch together: LOST, Grey''s Anatomy-never miss a week

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha is there anything worth watching on TV? our tivo is always FULL for fall shows...i am such a tv whore!

i am checking out the sharp aquos now too..hmmm!!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i''ll wait til next yr when the FCC switches to the 16 x 9 format,by that time i probably can buy a nice 50" plasma or LCD for $2k.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/20/2006 1:22:54 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
i''ll wait til next yr when the FCC switches to the 16 x 9 format,by that time i probably can buy a nice 50'' plasma or LCD for $2k.

Bloody hell DF.....50" is absolutely humongous!
6.gif

When it''s switched on, you''d probably be able to see it from space!

blod
31.gif

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
When the lady is right, the lady is right!!!!!

My MIL bought my DH one for Christmas last year (I think my DS and I are allowed to watch it too
20.gif
), and it is the best!

We rarely watch tv but did tune in for the world cup and appreciated the quality of this flat screen very much!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
for those sharp aquos owners...how is the sound quality of the TV ? aka during watching loud action movies or similar. crisp or tinny?

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
I find the sound quite crisp Mara, but since I don''t watch too often, I may not be the best one to advise.
1.gif
2.gif

Also price wise I wanted to add that ours is a 32" and if I remember correctly, there is quite a price hike to go to the 36".

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/20/2006 4:04:04 AM

Date: 7/20/2006 1:22:54 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
i''ll wait til next yr when the FCC switches to the 16 x 9 format,by that time i probably can buy a nice 50'' plasma or LCD for $2k.

Bloody hell DF.....50'' is absolutely humongous!
6.gif

When it''s switched on, you''d probably be able to see it from space!

blod
31.gif
no,not really. you''re forgetting everything here in the US is bigger than the UK,including diamonds
31.gif
i was looking at a 60" except its still too expensive
39.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
yeah heather we'd probably get the 32"...right now we have a sony wega 26" i think and in our fam room which is smallish, the tv looks huge so i figure a 32" screen would be massive to us. and then if we moved in the future or whatever and had a bonus room or a game room or something, we could always put the 32" in there and get a mondo one for the eventual hopeful large fam room we'd have.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/20/2006 1:39:54 PM
Author: Mara
yeah heather we''d probably get the 32''...right now we have a sony wega 26'' i think and in our fam room which is smallish, the tv looks huge so i figure a 32'' screen would be massive to us. and then if we moved in the future or whatever and had a bonus room or a game room or something, we could always put the 32'' in there and get a mondo one for the eventual hopeful large fam room we''d have.
no,not really. if your 26" sony is the square tube type,it may have the same size sq inch viewing area as the 32" 16 X 9

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 52" Toshiba in the family room but opted for the Sharp Aquos for the kitchen. It is a great tv - my old one in the kitchen had the sound coming out from the sides and if you were standing beside it or if I was washing dishes at the sink which is on the same side (just down the counter) it always sounded like it was blaring. The sound on this set is great - and the picture is really superb. I got mine from etronics.com - at the time the price was the best but you just have to shop around for the best price.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Here's an update to my TV search.

After tons of research and shopping, we went to Costo and bought a Vizio, 42" plasma HDTV television for $1499. Although TV/electronic snobs may scoff at our choice, my hubby and I are very happy. The costco return policy rocks...just return it at any time if you're unhappy with it. The screen is huge, the color is great, and the sound is great. We couldn't find any other 42" Plasma with HDTV for under $1500. We had a gift card to Costco as a wedding present, so that helped with the overall cost.

Here's what the vizio website gives as their stats:
The all new VIZIO P42 HDTV widescreen 42-in* Plasma offers a superb High-Definition picture at the best value. Like the award winning VIZIO P50 HDM, the P42 HDTV provides, 10,000:1 contrast ratio, 231 billion colors as well as an improved 1,200 cd/m2 brightness panel. Along with HDMI, Component and A/V inputs the P42 HDTV includes a standard NTSC tuner and a HD tuner supporting ATSC (off-air) and clear QAM (digital cable) supporting 720P, 1080i, 480P and 480i formats.

viziotv.gif

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Jelly it sounds like you guys found a great deal for a 42" plasma!!! This is the male equivalent of diamonds in my household - enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results