shape
carat
color
clarity

Fall/Winter Coats

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

E B

Ideal_Rock
My beloved charcoal J Crew Peacoat has finally given out (rips in lining, fuzzed collar, sleeves) so I'm in the market for a new fall/winter coat.

Anyone else shopping for one? What are you looking for?

Ideally, I'd like something longer (thigh/knee length?), with a slim cut, great quality, for under $250.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I've read good things about the Double-Cloth Lady Day Coat from J. Crew but the petite with thinsulate is $350- $100 over my budget. Worth it? Possibly.

I'm not a huge fan of the colors offered (would love a charcoal again, or a deep red) but black is always classic.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been thinking of getting a new coat. My DH got me a wonderful ski coat with a zip out liner, but I do not ski! lol It''s very warm and since it cost quite a bit, have been wearing that often (because I feel guilty buying another coat!) or wearing my black puffy coat.

This year, I''m hoping to find a wool coat that''s a purple or wine color and hits just below my hip and under $150. Actually under $100 would be ideal! I really do not want to spend very much so I''ve been looking on and off at Nord. Rack, but all the coats are too long. Maybe the best bet would be the outlet mall?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is very pretty and figure flattering!!! Not sure if the price is worth it. . . it''d be a long-term classic, especially, as you mentioned, in black so it would be an investment.
2.gif

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Ebree, I too am a big fan of the slim-cut, just-above-the-knee tailored look in coats. Good ones are hard to find... and that JCrew one is *very* promising IMO.

Personally, I have never regretted spending more than I should on a great coat, whereas I most certainly have looked back on my shirt/blouse or dress purchases sometimes and really wished I hadn't blown so much money on something so stupid. Great coats finish an outfit, a loved one will keep coming back into your winter rotation year after year, and if the one which is $100 over budget looks *GREAT* on you and is in a color you *LOVE*, you should absolutely go for it.

Have you tried the coat on your frame at a B&M JCrew yet? Or are you just going on catalogue alone?

f-d-l

E B

Ideal_Rock
MC- Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for a purple/wine hip-length coat.
2.gif

Fleur- You make an excellent point: A good coat can last for years. I've had my J Crew peacoat for at least five years, maybe more, and have gotten a ton of wear out of it.

I'm going to keep an eye out for cheaper alternatives, but so far, it's #1 on my list (in black, with thinsulate).

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Even as a guy, I''m finding that the more slim cut coats tend to be priced higher.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I just bought a coat from Talbot''s. (not a big fan of that store, but they do have some nice, classic pieces) It is black and white houndstooth and falls a bit above my knees. It was $248 which was more than I wanted to spend so I can''t decide if I''m going to keep it. I also tried on the J Crew tulip coat which was lovely, but it was $330 which I thought was over the top. I have looked at a lot of coats, and it does seem difficult to find something well made that doesn''t cost an arm and a leg.

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
I just purchased a pea coat from a Banana Republic outlet but I''m not 100% sure about it because it isn''t all wool... its a blend. I have a huge thing against man made fibers so I''m convinced it will wrinkle or pill or do something awful. I just checked out Old Navy''s site last night because they are one of the few places that offer petite sizes and they have quite a few nice coats that are 100% wool. I may get one there. I''m also considering a couple from Jcrew. I know the Old Navy ones won''t be quite as nice as Jcrew, but for $60-$100 you really can''t go wrong.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I just bought the most gorgeous plum/berry wool throwback Nine West coat from Macy's yesterday for $107. I loveeeeee it!
here is the coat
30.gif

oobie- I got a Banana Republic coat last season. I love it, it reminds me of Jackie O. It's green........mmmm mmmmmm. Im becoming a coat freak.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone know where I can find a nice coat for under 100 dollars?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
That is very cute, Dreamgirl. I wish I could pull off belted coats, but they look terrible on me, as do belted sweaters.

Penn - I did find a great coat for a slim build but it was $550! I wanted it, but the style would be rather impractical for my very boring life. Like I need that coat to stand at the bus stop or go to the store. Sadly, that is the extent of my outdoor experiences.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/6/2008 10:16:52 PM
Author: MC
That is very cute, Dreamgirl. I wish I could pull off belted coats, but they look terrible on me, as do belted sweaters.
Thank you! I thought it was a great deal that I couldn''t pass up. Im sorry that these types of coats don''t work out for you. But there is a great style out there for everyone that''s for sure!

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/6/2008 10:16:52 PM
Author: MC

Penn - I did find a great coat for a slim build but it was $550! I wanted it, but the style would be rather impractical for my very boring life. Like I need that coat to stand at the bus stop or go to the store. Sadly, that is the extent of my outdoor experiences.

I can''t make my mind up, but here are my choices:

Ralph Lauren

Banana Republic - Monogram

7 For All Mankind

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Ohh...Penn, I like the BR coat and the 7 coat alot!!!
36.gif

Brynn

Rough_Rock
I''m glad that you''ve had such good luck with your Pea Coat!

I, on the other hand, have had AWFUL luck with J. Crew''s lining (I live in MN so I always get Thinsulate lined). I have four or so of their winter coats and every single one has ripped in the lining. Distressing when you think about paying $300 for a coat...

You might be lighter on your coats than I am however! It''s cold here so they get use for MANY months a year!!!!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Ebree- I have the thinsulate lady day coat in aubergine. There''s an old thread that I stared on it and Monnie basically talked me into it. It''s a great coat; goes with everything and is plenty warm for New England winters.

I know mine was under $200, there was a sale, then another markdown and I got a price adjustment. I believe this was in January of 06. Keep an eye on it! They do get marked down. My sole complaint is that I''ll probably have to have it relined soon, the satin is really wearing through quickly. Happy hunting!

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
Just tonight I bought a new petite J Crew Dani wool/cashmere coat on eBay for $169 -- nice discount from the original price!

I loooove that lady coat, I wanted to buy it last year but like you, I stumbled with the price. However, I think it''s worth it -- as you know, J Crew coats are great quality and really last. I plan on buying the petite lady coat with thinsulate early this winter.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/7/2008 12:26:10 PM
Author: mercoledi
Ebree- I have the thinsulate lady day coat in aubergine. There''s an old thread that I stared on it and Monnie basically talked me into it. It''s a great coat; goes with everything and is plenty warm for New England winters.

I know mine was under $200, there was a sale, then another markdown and I got a price adjustment. I believe this was in January of 06. Keep an eye on it! They do get marked down. My sole complaint is that I''ll probably have to have it relined soon, the satin is really wearing through quickly. Happy hunting!
I love the double cloth coats from J. Crew. Mercoledi''s right, they typically go on sale in December and they do further markdowns after Christmas. I got an ivory Lady Day Coat in ''06 and loved it so much that I got another double cloth in flame last year for Christmas.

SuLi

Shiny_Rock
I don''t know if you realize this, but J.Crew is running a Private Sale, where purchases of $175 or higher are discounted at 20% off. Today is actually the last day for it. Is there a way to message people here? I can forward the coupon if interested.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, everyone!

SuLi- My husband has the coupon, but I''m still debating whether or not I should buy it. I should probably just bite the bullet.
3.gif
Thank you for reminding me that today is the last day!

basil

Brilliant_Rock
How does the sale price typically compare with the 20% off coupon? I too have the coupon and I''ve been wanting that coat for 2 years straight now, but if it''s going to get cheaper later then I''ll hold off probably...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/10/2008 1:43:24 PM
Author: pennquaker09
I already purchased a coat, but now I want this one:

Cashmere Peacoat
Cashmere coats and twins??? Yikes! You have courage. I''d be way too paranoid to combine the two in the same room!

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
Overstock.com has some pretty cute winter coats.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for being the voice of reason.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Dragonfly - For coats under $100, check out TJ Maxx - I just picked up a Michael Michael Kors coat for $80 - it''s a little too light for mid-winter in Iowa (but let''s face it, nearly everything is - when it really gets cold, style goes out the window for me and I look like a big blueberry in a puffy columbia jacket), but it''s perfect for the early November weather I''m having now and will be perfect for early spring, too. There were a TON of Nine West and Liz Claiborne coats at my TJ Maxx and I love those styles.

Also, for Columbia coats, last year I found a steal at JC Penney''s - I think I got $45 off? The best time to get a coat on sale is right now IMO. Closer to December, it gets a lot harder to find a good deal.

If you''re looking for a dress coat or something just for a season, I like Target, too. I have a beige dress coat from Target that I looove for I think $45. Since it only gets worn for formal stuff around Xmas, it''s held up really well - but I don''t really think the construction is good enough for constant wear for more than one season.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just got a cute gray one from Nordstrom''s for $50 (they had a sale). I don''t really need it but couldn''t resist.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
elmorton - Thanks for the advice. I''ve been keeping an eye out there, just haven''t found anything that is a perfect fit yet
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results