shape
carat
color
clarity

Corelle Dishes...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
My mom has had her corelle dishes for almost 30 years or something crazy. They are so indestructible!

I have a serious bowl/plate thing going on, and have so many sets...but couldn''t resist these! They are chip and break proof for a year, so they should be able to stay in one piece even with my hubby and son!

I got a red and yellow set for the mix & match look!

reddish.JPG

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
The yellow...

BTW. They are huge! They barely fit in my cupboard! The bowls are the perfect size, not too small...but not too big either.

yellowdish.JPG

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
OH those red ones are the greatest! They would go in my kitchen PERFECTLY.

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
For some reason, I''ve been on a Crimson kick lately...with lots of creamy yellow and black! So, these dishes were perfect!

I like the break/chip guarantee thing...because they don''t get much more klutzy than me!

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Oh man, my grandmother had a set when I was little and my mother still has some of them. I remember when gmom first got them she was telling my aunts how they were unbreakable. Well......I had to see for myself.
11.gif
I turned one upside down on the floor and jumped on it!!!! You guessed it. Shattered. I then had to march out to the front yard and pick my own hickory switch for my good ol'' fashion ''whuppin'',
14.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AHHH in the sea of PB and C&B lovers there is, at long last, a Corelle fan or two!!! LOL! When I got my first apt. in college a few birthdays and Christmases I received tons of a Corelle pattern with pansies on it. Sorry to say, I love it for its durability, but damn I am sick of seeing pansies next to my food! I didn''t even register for everyday dinnerware when we got married, because the old pansy Corelle had about 4 years on it without a chip or fade in the pattern in sight! Now it has almost 9 years on it and is still going strong. I even have the matching canisters, which I cannot bear to disown. I''m torn between putting the set in the garage sale or holding onto it for future use (gee, maybe it will become a collector''s item, hee hee) and buying a new set of one of these new-fangled solid styles! Why did I have to see this thread???

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2006 1:11:52 AM
Author: moon river
Oh man, my grandmother had a set when I was little and my mother still has some of them. I remember when gmom first got them she was telling my aunts how they were unbreakable. Well......I had to see for myself.
11.gif
I turned one upside down on the floor and jumped on it!!!! You guessed it. Shattered. I then had to march out to the front yard and pick my own hickory switch for my good ol'' fashion ''whuppin'',
14.gif
That''s so funny...my mom did the same thing and reminded me of the story when I bought my dishes today. The guy at the store launched one like a frisbee and it didn''t break, so my mom bought them, took them home to show my dad and the neighbors these indestructible dishes threw one on the floor, which of course, shattered! They thought she was insane throwing her new dishes on the floor! My dad was mad, but I don''t think she got a spanking...lol

But, she showed them, with that same old set lasting approx 30 years! I can''t even count how many sets I''ve had! My friends call me the "bowl whore" because I have such a huge collection of antique bowls, platters, and so many damn dishes of every kind! Yet I''m always shopping for more! Crazy..

These newfangled ones are stoneware, so they aren''t as tough, but still have a guarantee! If they''re breakable...my family can do the job!

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2006 1:42:25 AM
Author: monarch64
AHHH in the sea of PB and C&B lovers there is, at long last, a Corelle fan or two!!! LOL! When I got my first apt. in college a few birthdays and Christmases I received tons of a Corelle pattern with pansies on it. Sorry to say, I love it for its durability, but damn I am sick of seeing pansies next to my food! I didn''t even register for everyday dinnerware when we got married, because the old pansy Corelle had about 4 years on it without a chip or fade in the pattern in sight! Now it has almost 9 years on it and is still going strong. I even have the matching canisters, which I cannot bear to disown. I''m torn between putting the set in the garage sale or holding onto it for future use (gee, maybe it will become a collector''s item, hee hee) and buying a new set of one of these new-fangled solid styles! Why did I have to see this thread???
Take a look on the corelle site! There is some gorgeous stuff on there! The ones I bought are very cool! I''m loving them! My husband laughed at me and how happy new dishes can make me!

Momoftwo

Brilliant_Rock
I had Corelle when I got married in 1981. The pattern was blue on a white background. Unbreakable is what they claimed. I guess if you drop them on the right surface LOL. I used mine for about 10 years and over time lost pieces to the dishwasher, children dropping them, etc so I pitched what was left and bought stoneware. What I liked about them was they weren''t very heavy and if the new ones are stoneware, they''re just like every other dish on the market.

BrownEyes

Shiny_Rock
Hey ... they actually sell those melamine dishes in our local upscale grocery store (it''s sort of like a Food Emporium), and they are GORGEOUS! In addition to the crimson and gold, they also had an olive green set that was really nice. The colors together were positively yummy. I especially love the shape of the mugs. Just be careful ... they may not be microwave-able.

I don''t know what your house/kitchen are like, but if you''re interested, Country Curtains sells a line of curtains, valances w/matching table runner and fabric that would really complement the colors of your new dishes. Here''s the link to the tailored valance:

http://www.countrycurtains.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=2181&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=105&iSubCat=187&iProductID=2181

I happen to have the black tapestry curtains and valances in my kitchen with the matching table runner, and they''re really top quality and very pretty. I bought the extra fabric and had a matching bench pillow made for our mud room. The crewel colors really would complement the dishes you selected.
4.gif

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/6/2006 6:04:59 PM
Author: BrownEyes
Hey ... they actually sell those melamine dishes in our local upscale grocery store (it''s sort of like a Food Emporium), and they are GORGEOUS! In addition to the crimson and gold, they also had an olive green set that was really nice. The colors together were positively yummy. I especially love the shape of the mugs. Just be careful ... they may not be microwave-able.

I don''t know what your house/kitchen are like, but if you''re interested, Country Curtains sells a line of curtains, valances w/matching table runner and fabric that would really complement the colors of your new dishes. Here''s the link to the tailored valance:

http://www.countrycurtains.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=2181&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=105&iSubCat=187&iProductID=2181

I happen to have the black tapestry curtains and valances in my kitchen with the matching table runner, and they''re really top quality and very pretty. I bought the extra fabric and had a matching bench pillow made for our mud room. The crewel colors really would complement the dishes you selected.
4.gif
The ones I got are stoneware and weigh a ton! I love the melamine bakers bowls with the pour spout!

Thanks for the tip on the runners etc...
1.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
my mom used to have corelle too, they were one of the patterns with a flower border on it, i think maybe a yellowish brown flower border. i think she still has some left but over time they all kind of broke or got lost, she has the most hodgepodge sets ever as nothing seems to last!!

i am a total bowl/plate/china collector, our everyday stuff is from PB, they were having a sale on their colored plates (can't think of what they are made of but they are thick) and so i got 8 green large ones and 8 blue small ones for something like $50 when regular price was $150! such a steal. they have lasted amazingly well, it's been 4 years and i have only chipped one corner of one blue one. then for our 'somewhat fancy' china i have a set of 8 of the crate and barrel orchid china and then for our wedding china we got the platinum line from CB but my 12 person set is not complete. also i have tons of colorful fun bowls that go with the PB stuff and i have about 4 cabinets full of GLASSWARE...i am such a collector. you name it and we have it and we even have TWO SETS of ice cream and dessert glass bowls, and almost every type of bar glassware under the sun. i just am a sucker for glassware and china/bowls/plates!! hahaa.

OH and I almost forgot that my Mom gave me her old set of china from when I was little...it's very thin floral gold rimmed stuff that is TOTALLY not me but I love it and keep it anyway because it has history. Greg keeps trying to get rid of it saying we never use it, I just give him the death glare.
9.gif

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/7/2006 12:44:40 PM
Author: Mara
my mom used to have corelle too, they were one of the patterns with a flower border on it, i think maybe a yellowish brown flower border. i think she still has some left but over time they all kind of broke or got lost, she has the most hodgepodge sets ever as nothing seems to last!!

i am a total bowl/plate/china collector, our everyday stuff is from PB, they were having a sale on their colored plates (can''t think of what they are made of but they are thick) and so i got 8 green large ones and 8 blue small ones for something like $50 when regular price was $150! such a steal. they have lasted amazingly well, it''s been 4 years and i have only chipped one corner of one blue one. then for our ''somewhat fancy'' china i have a set of 8 of the crate and barrel orchid china and then for our wedding china we got the platinum line from CB but my 12 person set is not complete. also i have tons of colorful fun bowls that go with the PB stuff and i have about 4 cabinets full of GLASSWARE...i am such a collector. you name it and we have it and we even have TWO SETS of ice cream and dessert glass bowls, and almost every type of bar glassware under the sun. i just am a sucker for glassware and china/bowls/plates!! hahaa.

OH and I almost forgot that my Mom gave me her old set of china from when I was little...it''s very thin floral gold rimmed stuff that is TOTALLY not me but I love it and keep it anyway because it has history. Greg keeps trying to get rid of it saying we never use it, I just give him the death glare.
9.gif
Another "Bowl Whore"....
9.gif

I probably have at least 30 different bowls, 10 platters, and they''re in an old antique cabinet with glass doors. I need some sort of therapy I suppose! I even have 3 bowls/plates from 1865, one from my parent''s wedding reception (40+ yrs), and some from my Gramma from WW2. I also have 4 different sets of plates, but I''ve promised to get rid of at least one set. I also have quite the collection of antique kitchen gadgets, and I''m not sure why but now everyone finds them for me!

I have to work on my glassware though. The only ones that survive in my house are the handblown ones with the blue rim from Mexico! They are so tough, but match nothing!

Don''t ever throw out your mom''s old china! They''ll mean so much one day, and if you have daughters, you can pass them down! I have stuff from both Gramma''s and I use them on the holidays, and it''s such a good memory that we continue to eat off those same dishes even though they''re gone now! OH..damn, think I''m getting a little teary!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Mom had Corelle (yes they last a looong time) and either my mom or mother in law got me corelle for our new house (white with green vines). I love the fact that they are light and weather well, but yes, not the most trendy. I would prefer something in a solid color, no pattern. My husband doesn''t totally like them, but we can''t agree on what to change to. Someone gave us some Fiestaware pieces. Though I like the colors, I think they are too heavy (and break). I guess I better check out that Corelle site!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results