shape
carat
color
clarity

best lengthening mascara?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sera

Ideal_Rock
I''m about out of my mascara (currently have Stila Multi-effect) and need to get another asap.

What do you all suggest for a lengthening mascara?

Dior Show? Does the waterproof one work as well? Sometimes my eyes water from allergies.
Fiberwig?
Lashfusion?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven''t found the perfect mascara, but have tried Diorshow and wasn''t impressed. Lancome waterproof seems to work well and the Chanel one is okay. Oh, and I only use waterproof because otherwise the mascara smears everywhere.

Maybe some of the cheaper brands work well, like L''oreal. My friend loves that brand, but it burns my eyes. It''s the only mascara that does.

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
I will join you SDL, I am a cheapo too... I use Cover Girl Lash Exact (purple tube) and the new Lashblast Volume (thick orange tube). True they do not have Lengthening in the name, but they do a great job on length and volume for me. Love CG mascara. Plus I wear contacts and they don''t bother my sensitive eyes :) (oh, and another plus, I do NOT use the waterproof and they do not flake either).

sera

Ideal_Rock
I do like some of the L''oreal stuff... especially the HIP products- great staying power. I had given up on the cheapy stuff because most of them burned my eyes. MC, if it burns your eyes, then maybe I''ll hold off on getting it until I get some other suggestions.

I also don''t need to get some as soon as I thought I did... I have 2 sample sizes left (Stila Multi-effect and Lancome) from Sephora.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fiberwig is the one I hear great things about.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
LOVE LOVE LOVE Covergirl Volume Exact in the burgundy tube. It does everything - lengthens, thickens slightly, and makes my lashes look incredible. I tried the Lashblast in the orange tube and wasn''t nearly as impressed. Definitely give the burgundy tube Volume Exact a try though - its pretty amazing.

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
I think I''ve tried EVERY mascara in the book. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Supernova by Fresh (can be bought at Sephora). It''s pricey but really really works. Plus it doesn''t get "crunchy" like most mascaras so your eyelashes feel normal. I use it w/ my Shu Uemura curler and it is FAB!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Clinique''s High Impact. I tried their Long Pretty Lashes and didn''t find it did anything for me. The High Impact though - wow!

Lancome, Maybelline, YSL, Dior Show, they all clump on me. The Clinique is the only one that doesn''t.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
I always use Lancome Definicils. Does a great job of lengthening and separating. Doesn''t clump on me though.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I love and have had no problems with YSL.

cheers--Sharon

sera

Ideal_Rock
I have the sample of Lancome Defincils... I will try that in the morning.

I like my Stila Multi-effect but I don''t notice any lengthening. It does go on naturally with no flaking or clumping.

I have tried some of the Bourjois... nice and natural... didn''t notice lengthening. Bad Girl Lash- nothing spectacular.

I was going to buy the Fiberwig but Sephora was out of the one that comes with the curler... I already ordered... NOW it''s in stock. Ugh. I saw the Supernova and was curious about that. I wish I could get samples of these (as well as the drug store brands) so I don''t waste money on something that doesn''t work.

Thanks for all the suggestions. SDL, let me know what you think when you try yours tomorrow.

Cleopatra

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/14/2008 12:44:20 AM
Author:sera
I''m about out of my mascara (currently have Stila Multi-effect) and need to get another asap.

What do you all suggest for a lengthening mascara?

Dior Show? Does the waterproof one work as well? Sometimes my eyes water from allergies.

Fiberwig?

Lashfusion?

I have waterproof DiorShow and am not too impressed with it. I just find those BIG wands really awkward to use...

Recently, I got a waterproof mascara from Sephora. It was Make Up Forever''s waterproof lengthening mascara and it''s one of my new favs....I totally think it''s worth checking out!

Delster

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2008 11:04:50 AM
Author: Cleopatra

I have waterproof DiorShow and am not too impressed with it. I just find those BIG wands really awkward to use...

Recently, I got a waterproof mascara from Sephora. It was Make Up Forever''s waterproof lengthening mascara and it''s one of my new favs....I totally think it''s worth checking out!
Oh thank goodness - I thought it was just me!!!

These make-up threads are great. I''m going to have to bring an extra suitcase next time I go to the States, just to haul home all the cosmetics I want to try out!
1.gif

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Michelle,

How did you like your new mascara??? I am looking for a new one too.

Linda

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Michelle,

I''ll have to try it. When I was younger I had really long thick eyelashes. Now that I am older, they have thinned out.
14.gif

Linda

sera

Ideal_Rock
I tried the Lancome Defincils... for me, I didn''t like it because it didn''t give enough separation, so it looked like I had fewer lashes. It did go on easy, didn''t clump, and seemed to lengthen.

I also found I had a sample of Clinique High Definition. It was pretty nice- gave separation, length and definition. The brush is two-sided... a regular brush and a comb. It worked pretty well but is kind of bulky- not the best on the corners of the eyes.

I just called Sephora because my items that were supposed to have arrived already hadn''t... they had a glitch in the warehouse computer so my stuff won''t be here for a few more days. They credited my account for the shipping I had paid and gave me a $25 credit, so I''m thinking I may try the Fiberwig as they have it in stock now or the Supernova... so I''ll get the mascara for free.

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/17/2008 1:46:47 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady

Date: 4/17/2008 1:36:33 PM
Author: Linda W
Michelle,

How did you like your new mascara??? I am looking for a new one too.

Linda
I liked it. It isn''t over powering, I did two coats and the lash separation is fantastic, better than any I''ve used. Very natural, pretty. I bought the blackest black color.
Good to know... next time I may try the Covergirl Volume Exact or Loreal.

They say to throw out your mascara every 6 months, I believe.... so that''s when I''ll try it since I''m getting a free mascara from Sephora.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Oh, it's been a long time since I've "shopped" over here!

Actually, I just bought a mascara today. It's my 2nd tube! (That means I love it!!) I used to flit around in the department store lines, but recently I found the BEST mascara EVER!! It's at Walmart type stores and it's called Rimmel (I actually thought it was like a store brand at first, but then I realized that Kate Moss models for it) Anyway, it's called Rimmel LashMaxx. The applicator is a comb instead of a brush. It was weird applying it at first because you have to blink into it more than with a brush. It really lengthens and doesn't clump. I've only used the non-waterproof type so far and it doesn't smudge, flake or anything (I've always had flakiness issues..haha). I bought waterproof today for summer time, so we'll see how that works. I think it comes in 2 shades of black and a brown/black.

ETA-just realized it sounds like I'm one of those "trolls" or whatever they're called. Sorry! But, i do love it!

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2008 12:28:10 AM

Date: 4/18/2008 11:23:35 PM
Author: somethingshiny
Oh, it's been a long time since I've 'shopped' over here!

Actually, I just bought a mascara today. It's my 2nd tube! (That means I love it!!) I used to flit around in the department store lines, but recently I found the BEST mascara EVER!! It's at Walmart type stores and it's called Rimmel (I actually thought it was like a store brand at first, but then I realized that Kate Moss models for it) Anyway, it's called Rimmel LashMaxx. The applicator is a comb instead of a brush. It was weird applying it at first because you have to blink into it more than with a brush. It really lengthens and doesn't clump. I've only used the non-waterproof type so far and it doesn't smudge, flake or anything (I've always had flakiness issues..haha). I bought waterproof today for summer time, so we'll see how that works. I think it comes in 2 shades of black and a brown/black.

ETA-just realized it sounds like I'm one of those 'trolls' or whatever they're called. Sorry! But, i do love it!
You so do NOT sound like a troll!! ACK!! Funny, yes, no troll! lol
20.gif
2.gif
I saw Rimmel today at the drugstore and walked past... had no clue.

I found the same thing about the comb with the Clinque comb/brush wand... I had to "blink into" the comb (I tried using it like a brush at first and nearly poked my eye out
23.gif
).

.oO(Pssst... trolls don't have eyelashes, so yeah, no troll)

psst.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Going to try some of the suggestions here! Meanwhile, I use Maybelline Sky High Curves in waterproof for my top lashes, and GreatLash waterproof (yup, the ol'' pink and green, only in waterproof it''s pink and black) for my lower lashes. the combo has been working well for me on my natural lashes for a few years. However, the Sky High Curves is getting harder to find, at Target it''s now all the way down on the lowest part of the display...I suppose they are planning to do away with it soon, which is a bummer, I really like it.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/19/2008 12:49:44 AM
Author: sera
Date: 4/19/2008 12:28:10 AM

Date: 4/18/2008 11:23:35 PM

Author: somethingshiny

Oh, it''s been a long time since I''ve ''shopped'' over here!

Actually, I just bought a mascara today. It''s my 2nd tube! (That means I love it!!) I used to flit around in the department store lines, but recently I found the BEST mascara EVER!! It''s at Walmart type stores and it''s called Rimmel (I actually thought it was like a store brand at first, but then I realized that Kate Moss models for it) Anyway, it''s called Rimmel LashMaxx. The applicator is a comb instead of a brush. It was weird applying it at first because you have to blink into it more than with a brush. It really lengthens and doesn''t clump. I''ve only used the non-waterproof type so far and it doesn''t smudge, flake or anything (I''ve always had flakiness issues..haha). I bought waterproof today for summer time, so we''ll see how that works. I think it comes in 2 shades of black and a brown/black.

ETA-just realized it sounds like I''m one of those ''trolls'' or whatever they''re called. Sorry! But, i do love it!

You so do NOT sound like a troll!! ACK!! Funny, yes, no troll! lol
20.gif
2.gif
I saw Rimmel today at the drugstore and walked past... had no clue.

I found the same thing about the comb with the Clinque comb/brush wand... I had to ''blink into'' the comb (I tried using it like a brush at first and nearly poked my eye out
23.gif
).

.oO(Pssst... trolls don''t have eyelashes, so yeah, no troll)

I have never used Rimmel Mascara but they eyeshadows and eyeliners are AWESOME not the greatest fan of their face powders but that could just be me :). They have the worlds BEST liquid eyeliner it has a little brush and gives the perfect thin line and doesn''t smudge OMG so good :):):).

I have used expensive and cheapie mascara''s but the best one I have ever found is maybelline full and soft I don''t know if it lengthens alot but it makes your eyes seriously POP :) my vote hands down :)

sera

Ideal_Rock
Okay, so I''m going to use my Sephora credit to order some mascara. (I gotta say, there are rarely glitches with ordering online from Sephora, but when there are, they do take care of it quickly and easily. This is only the second time I''ve had a "problem," and I don''t even know how many orders I''ve made in the years I''ve ordered from them.)

So, narrowed down my choices to (one I mentioned earlier): Imju Fiberwig and THEBALM Two-Timer Mascara. I noticed Two-Timer because it seems the rubbery wands really help lengthen?

Anyway, which of these two would you choose?

I did not include the recommended Fresh Supernova only because the tip of the wand isn''t pointed, and I have a hard time getting my corner lashes without the pointy end.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Of the two choices, I would go with the TwoTimer. I like the wand and I like that you could essentially have several different lash looks. You could glam it up for a night out, but you could put on one thin coat for an afternoon at the beach.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I''ve used the expensive brands, and the cheap brands. I prefer Cover Girl Professional Waterproof in Black/Brown. No smearing, no flaking, no clumping, no running. Takes a little longer to ''build'' lashes, but they are definitely not Tammy Faye look-a-likes! And they can stand up to my contact lenses wearing, allergy and sinus suffering abuse.

I have never used any of the "longer, lusher, lash-out-to-there" advertised brands that actually worked. We keep forgetting that both TV and print ads are using computer generated perfection to drive us crazy; and in truth, nothing ever lives up to its hype, regardless of the price.

Harleigh

Ideal_Rock
sera,

In my search, I found this interesting article...have you seen it?

How to Get the False Eyelash Effect From Your Mascara

False eyelashes are fiddly, difficult to apply, and prone to falling off at the worst possible moment. (Or they can be, anyway). That doesn''t stop us from loving the look of them, though, and it hasn''t stopped me from buying every lengthening mascara I can get my hands on, in the hope that it''ll allow me to recreate that false-eyelash effect with just the sweep of a mascara wand.

It''s not quite as simple as that, of course, but I have finally arrived at a technique I''m happy with. Here''s how I do it...

You''ll need:

* One pair of eyelash curlers

* One waterproof lengthening mascara - I use Lancome L''Extreme in noir.

* One fibrous lengthening mascara - I use Imju Fiberwig, also in black

The Application:

Step One: Curling

Take your eyelash curler, and curl both eyelashes. This is such a simple thing, buy it makes such a big difference. Remember, eyelashes that point up towards your eyebrows will always look longer and more dramatic than lashes which point straight out towards your nose. The curl will also open up your eyes, giving added emphasis - no bad thing.

I use a regular metal eyelash curler, but I give it a quick blast with my hairdryer before I use it (be careful you don''t get it too hot!). The heat really helps create a better curl, so either try the hairdryer trick or buy a heated curler: the choice is yours, but I find metal curlers work better and last longer.

Step Two: Waterproof Mascara

That you use waterproof mascara rather than regular stuff for this step is super-important: not because you''re going to need your mascara to be waterproof, particularly, but because waterproof formulas tend to hold that curl you''ve just created much better than regular ones do. A regular mascara will generally drag the curl out of your lash, so even if it does make them longer, they won''t look that much longer.

As mentioned above, I like Lancome''s L''Extreme, which, as well as being waterproof, is also a lengthening formula. A few coats of this, and you should already be starting to see that false eyelash effect. One more step, though, will make all the difference.

Step Three: Fibrous Mascara

I''m using the term "fibrous" here to apply to any of the current breed of lengthening mascaras which contain lots of tiny fibres, which are designed to cling to the tips of your eyelashes, making them look longer. I use Imju Fiberwig for this, but something like Too Faced Lash Injection will probably also work.

This mascara isn''t waterproof, so it''s important that you apply it after the waterproof mascara. Your lashes should now be perfectly curled, with the curl held in place by your waterproof mascara. The trick now is to apply Fiberwig (or whichever second mascara you''re using) to the tips of your lashes only. There''s no need to comb it all the way through, as these formulas are designed to cling to the tips, creating extra length. While I find that they don''t quite do that when used on their own, when used on top of another mascara, the results can be fabulous.

Et voila, you''re done! You should now be the proud owner of a pair of huge, long lashes!

Technorati Tags: false eyelash effect

sera

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info... bummer I just decided not to get the Fiberwig and ordered Two-Timer (should arrive Monday). I gotta try that technique.

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
I'm really hard to please with mascara. I curl my lashes and found that even the expensive department store brands would uncurl them and I would have a tangled mess....like mini brush piles of twigs on my eyes. I was so desperate that if I saw anyone who had pretty lashes I would ask them what they were using--then I would promptly go buy it only to have it not work for me. It was terrible. After trying around 25 different kinds (and I'm not joking) I tried Maybelline Lash Discovery. I use the waterproof. I love it. It keeps the curl and lasts all day. It has the tiniest bristles you have ever seen. The first time I pulled the wand from the tube I thought they forgot to put bristles on it. You can get mascara on even the teeniest, tiniest lashes to really bring them out.

Hey! If Shay37's avatar is an actual picture of her, we should find out what she uses. I think I even mentioned in a previous post I would kill for lashes like hers. Maybe she'll chime in!! On second thought, watch that be her natural lashes with no mascara...sigh....

I don't know if I'm allowed to post a pic of her avatar...here's a link to a post she created just so everyone can see her avatar. (I'm allowed to do that, right?) https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/omg-whiteflash-rocks.34086/

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Diorshow Blackout! I love this stuff and it works great with my eyelashes that are curl naturally.

I also love Yves St Laurent''s Faux Cil -- Gives great length but not a ton of volume if you would like both.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results