shape
carat
color
clarity

Are these boots SEXY?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.duoboots.com/products/boots/detail/a/juniper/348/colour/1/shoesize/42/calfwidth/S/.

I've been wanting a pair of knee-high boots about as long as I can remember. And I have extra wide calves so its no easy task. This one company seems to make awesome, real leather, sweet *ss boots but its still tricky to find the right combo of height, wearability, sexiness, versatility, style etc. My fave aspect of these is how tall they are. I'm 5ft 9 and a lot of "knee high" boots hit me at the fattest part of my calf. Muffin top calves = not a good look. Also, I'm not really a heel gal. These are about as high as would get worn.

The boots I'd love love love are http://www.thefryecompany.com/Product-Women-Boots-Extended Calf-77605BKX.aspx -- but the calf isn't big enough. Don't think I could get it stretched enough either. Gah. I found them on sale at Macy's too. (Sold out almost everywhere else.)

Anyhoo .... comments? Thoughts? Other sources of known fantastic extended calf leather boots?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!! :bigsmile:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
duobootpix.jpg

ETA: At the link there is a video of a skinny-calved gal walking in them. Not exactly what they'd look like on ME ... but shows how tall they are on the leg.

Eva*

Rough_Rock
Cute! and yes, sexy! But I worry about the weird zipper area, what do you think? And ack, boots just seldom fit anybody perfectly. Since you're tall (sniff), how about looking at over the knee boots? This is pretty much the reverse of what I do, which is to buy mid-calf boots so they're "knee boots". Of course you probably know that Zappos has extended calf boots, so they might have OTK extended calf boots?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Eva*|1289604061|2763826 said:
Cute! and yes, sexy! But I worry about the weird zipper area, what do you think? And ack, boots just seldom fit anybody perfectly. Since you're tall (sniff), how about looking at over the knee boots? This is pretty much the reverse of what I do, which is to buy mid-calf boots so they're "knee boots". Of course you probably know that Zappos has extended calf boots, so they might have OTK extended calf boots?
Thanks Eva! I've looked at Zappos and most of their "extended calf" boots are still a couple of inches shy of what I ideally need. JCrew is the same way. Their regular boots are 14 inch' & "extended calf" is a whopping 15! WOW -- a whole extra INCH!

Over the knee is an interesting idea! I'm 43 ... wonder if I could pull that look off?

Eva*

Rough_Rock
Seriously, one extra inch? Thanks J. Crew for taking notice of women of all shapes and sizes. Also, their boots are hit or miss for comfort.
I have no source for OTK boots since they would be mid-thigh on me but on you they might work either as is (I kind of think any age can wear most any kind of boot as long as the details are simple) or with a little hemming, which is better than boots that are too short. I suppose this is where I'm supposed to suggest custom but it's so expensive I've never looked into it, though boots last forever and all that. Have you looked at Etsy? It seems like there are more shoemakers there every time I look.

As a twist on shopping in the Brooks Brothers boys dept, I just realized that a friend of mine routinely buys men's boots and that some of them have surprisingly elegant, feminine lines.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
OMG, I just did not know they made fat calf boots! I'm always struggling with that, will have to get a pair. I think they are sexy, not "catwoman sexy" but "put-together autumnal uptown girl sexy".

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
kelpie|1289607373|2763858 said:
OMG, I just did not know they made fat calf boots! I'm always struggling with that, will have to get a pair. I think they are sexy, not "catwoman sexy" but "put-together autumnal uptown girl sexy".
I'm going to pretend that "fat calf" sounds flattering. :tongue: Thanks for the input!

Part of my hesitation has always been that I don't own many winter skirts/dresses. So what will I wear tall boots with? Over jeans? I'm too chubs for leggings-as-pants. I would dig some skirts & sweaterdresses & print wrap dresses --- but should I really buy a pricey item that's going to set me up to have to buy MORE things? Hmmmm.

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1289608555|2763873 said:
kelpie|1289607373|2763858 said:
I'm going to pretend that "fat calf" sounds flattering. :tongue: Thanks for the input!

Part of my hesitation has always been that I don't own many winter skirts/dresses. So what will I wear tall boots with? Over jeans? I'm too chubs for leggings-as-pants. I would dig some skirts & sweaterdresses & print wrap dresses --- but should I really buy a pricey item that's going to set me up to have to buy MORE things? Hmmmm.

Deco, for the longest time I never wore dresses or skirts because I never found a good pair of boots to go with them. I also need extended calf but the ones at JCrew did work for me. Once I got the perfect pair of boots it opened me up to a whole new wardrobe of fun skirts, tights, etc! I know they may lead to more of an expense, but I felt it was worth it! I finally was super excited about my wardrobe because I was trying a whole new look with skirts and stuff. I wish I would've done it earlier!!! I say go for it! I think knee boots might be more versatile for you rather than over the knee though, but that is just my personal opinion. And you'd be surprised that boots look great over jeans. I am a size 12 and it looks really nice. Just be sure to pair them with a tunic or longer cardigan. You can go buy some new winter skirts but keep the tops basic so that you can wear them with other things in your wardrobe like basic turtlenecks, vnecks, etc. Then you will just have an add'l expense of a couple skirts, some basic tops, and some tights. Good Luck!!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

Eva*

Rough_Rock
Once I got the perfect pair of boots it opened me up to a whole new wardrobe of fun skirts, tights, etc! I know they may lead to more of an expense, but I felt it was worth it! I finally was super excited about my wardrobe because I was trying a whole new look with skirts and stuff.

Ditto this. The perfect pair is a PITA to find but shopping for skirts, tights, and stretchy jeans is so much easier and so more fun than shopping for pants. Ok, inspired to find my perfect knee length pair now.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
My concern about the first pair of boots is that the zipper doesn't go all the way up. I have no idea if that's a concern for you but I hate shoving my jeans in without it bunching up, so I need the zipper to come all the way up on knee-high boots. Just tossing it out for something to consider :) Otherwise, I like the look of both, but I actually prefer the look of the one your husband picked out.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
lizzyann01|1289609680|2763883 said:
Deco, for the longest time I never wore dresses or skirts because I never found a good pair of boots to go with them. I also need extended calf but the ones at JCrew did work for me. Once I got the perfect pair of boots it opened me up to a whole new wardrobe of fun skirts, tights, etc! I know they may lead to more of an expense, but I felt it was worth it! I finally was super excited about my wardrobe because I was trying a whole new look with skirts and stuff. I wish I would've done it earlier!!! I say go for it! I think knee boots might be more versatile for you rather than over the knee though, but that is just my personal opinion. And you'd be surprised that boots look great over jeans. I am a size 12 and it looks really nice. Just be sure to pair them with a tunic or longer cardigan. You can go buy some new winter skirts but keep the tops basic so that you can wear them with other things in your wardrobe like basic turtlenecks, vnecks, etc. Then you will just have an add'l expense of a couple skirts, some basic tops, and some tights. Good Luck!!!
That's encouraging! I have my eye on a sweater dress already ... one that reminds me of my old fave dress from skinnier days. Have to get the boot right I guess. I'm shopping late too -- some styles I like are out of stock already. Should have gotten busy on this in August. HA!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Eva*|1289611892|2763915 said:
Once I got the perfect pair of boots it opened me up to a whole new wardrobe of fun skirts, tights, etc! I know they may lead to more of an expense, but I felt it was worth it! I finally was super excited about my wardrobe because I was trying a whole new look with skirts and stuff.
Ditto this. The perfect pair is a PITA to find but shopping for skirts, tights, and stretchy jeans is so much easier and so more fun than shopping for pants. Ok, inspired to find my perfect knee length pair now.
I've been LIVING in pants every winter. It is pretty cold here in the Northeast. If I worked in an office everyday I'm sure I would have worked this out long ago. Since I freelance I get away with being a lot schlubbier a lot of the time. Not so great for the self esteem. And I'm sure my husband is sick of my flannel pjs. :o

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
B.E.G.|1289613470|2763937 said:
My concern about the first pair of boots is that the zipper doesn't go all the way up. I have no idea if that's a concern for you but I hate shoving my jeans in without it bunching up, so I need the zipper to come all the way up on knee-high boots. Just tossing it out for something to consider :) Otherwise, I like the look of both, but I actually prefer the look of the one your husband picked out.
I noticed the weird zip sitch when I watched the video. Originally I thought that zip was just decorative & the REAL zip was some wear else. Not so! You might have a point there re: harder to get on vs. full zip. Thanks for pointing that out.

I really like these the best right now but might end up getting something more classic -- even if they are slightly shorter. Just read about some cheapies at Target that might work for a wide calf. 34.99!! In tan, black or gray. They aren't real leather but they are a total knock off of the Frye ones I want so badly. And the gray is calling my name. (Could still get black "real" boots.) Probably wouldn't fit me though. Maybe I'll see if they're in stock at my Target tomorrow & try them in person.

http://www.target.com/Mossimo-Suppl...m_brand-bin&searchRank=salesrank&frombrowse=1

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1289623296|2764052 said:
B.E.G.|1289613470|2763937 said:
I noticed the weird zip sitch when I watched the video. Originally I thought that zip was just decorative & the REAL zip was some wear else. Not so! You might have a point there re: harder to get on vs. full zip. Thanks for pointing that out.

I really like these the best right now but might end up getting something more classic -- even if they are slightly shorter. Just read about some cheapies at Target that might work for a wide calf. 34.99!! In tan, black or gray. They aren't real leather but they are a total knock off of the Frye ones I want so badly. And the gray is calling my name. (Could still get black "real" boots.) Probably wouldn't fit me though. Maybe I'll see if they're in stock at my Target tomorrow & try them in person.

http://www.target.com/Mossimo-Suppl...m_brand-bin&searchRank=salesrank&frombrowse=1

You know, I posted on this thread thinking you were totally someone else. The new name and av completely threw me off - it was the disclaimer that made me realize! :lol:

You know, my favorite knee-high boots are actually my Cole Haans. I don't see mine anymore, but mine are just basically flat black riding boots - so comfy. And I have fairly large calves in relation to my shoe size too ...

Here are a couple I found at Nordstrom though they have heels -

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3108666?origin=category&resultback=690

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3098982?origin=category&resultback=914

This last one is kinda like mine except mine doesn't have the straps - http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3098958?origin=category&resultback=914

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love those last ones. Afraid they'd be too tight though. I'm embarrassed at how bulbous those calves of mine really are! If I can find them in a store I'd def try them on though. Really cute. They say they stretch even more ...hmmmm.

And I LOVE cole haan/nike air stuff. My fave sandals were that brand. Eventually they stretched out after like four years -- they weren't leather, just elastic. Think they'd be too tight too. I really probably need a specialty brand that deals in extra wide calf boots.

Thanks for looking around for me! Even if you thought I was someone else! Hey, my name didn't change though -- just the avi. I changed it w/all the baby talk the other day. Am probably confusing other folks too. :twirl:

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Have you looked at Fitzwell boots? A lot of them have nice wide calves. These have an 18" circumference.

Eva*

Rough_Rock
Sometimes measurements are annoyingly given based on some kind of "standard" size, so you'll see in fine print that the circumference is 15" based on size 7 or something like that. Shopping is hard!

Decodelighted, have you considered...jeggings? Warm and comfortable :love: in spite of the funny name.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kismet|1289646135|2764206 said:
Have you looked at Fitzwell boots? A lot of them have nice wide calves. These have an 18" circumference.
Cool! I'll check it out. Ordering domestic would be so much easier & cheaper!!

In the meantime I went over to Target today & was lucky enough to find a pair of size 11 "Kaden" boots to try on -- the ones getting such attention from Thrifty Fashion blogs .... YUCKO! Oh man. Of course the didn't *fit* so it didn't really matter but BLECH. Sooooo plasticy. My feet were sweating on the way *into* them. Oh well ... wanted to follow up on that in case any other boot shoppers got THAT bright idea. Save yr. time!!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Eva*|1289680040|2764680 said:
Sometimes measurements are annoyingly given based on some kind of "standard" size, so you'll see in fine print that the circumference is 15" based on size 7 or something like that. Shopping is hard!
Decodelighted, have you considered...jeggings? Warm and comfortable :love: in spite of the funny name.
That's a good point about sizing. I'll keep that in mind when I'm looking at dimensions that they might be a bit larger in my size (11). And jeggings -- I tried some on but w/o boots couldn't really imagine what I could do to make them flattering. YIKES! Full length dress over 'em maybe? If I do end up w/boots maybe I'll give 'em another whirl. Kinda doubting the world wants me to embrace that trend though. Picture Kirstie Alley's build. :-o ::) :tongue:

Eva*

Rough_Rock
I subscribe to the school that says MUST cover the booty when wearing any kind of legging, and that goes for any size! In fact, they're great because they cover everything. They're *so* flattering in a deep shade when the material is dense enough to be smooth but still stretchy and I think of them as skinny jeans that are far more comfortable. You could totally rock it, and besides, long sweaters + east coast weather sounds perfect.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kismet|1289646135|2764206 said:
fitzwellbootpix.jpg

Okey dokey, Kismet ... after several hours of browsing Zappos & several days (years) searching elsewhere ... I'm going to give the ones you picked out a go! These balance all the things I'm trying to achieve, were well priced vs. the Duo ones (which also had hefty shipping & VAT), and won't be as much of a pain to return if they *don't* work out, cuz Zappos is great that way. HERE GOES NUTHIN!

Just couldn't get excited over the plain plain plain ones DH liked -- if I ever get another pair of boots it would probably be a dressy plain black higher heeled boot ... so why not get a *flat* boot with a little more oomph and toughness. We'll see. Thanks so much for pointing me to them. I'd been so obsessed with Duo that I didn't re-check Zappos at all on this search until you showed me the exact boot I ended up loving. YOU ROCK LADY!!!

Thanks to everyone else who helped out & posted awesome boots. All the encouragement helped me pull the boot trigger finally.

:appl: :wavey: :bigsmile:

lizzyann

Ideal_Rock
Woo Hoo! I am so excited for you to get them and *fingers crossed* love them! You'll have to have a great outfit waiting to try them on with when they arrive! Keep us posted!!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
lizzyann01|1289760047|2765720 said:
Woo Hoo! I am so excited for you to get them and *fingers crossed* love them! You'll have to have a great outfit waiting to try them on with when they arrive! Keep us posted!!!
Thanks Lizzyann! I broke down & ordered a sweaterdress I've been eyeing for a while ALSO. Which will arrive first? Squee!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welllllll .... I think I have to go back to the drawing board. The boots arrived & look very cool .... but are SWIMMING on me despite all measuring assurances to the contrary. Weirdness! And the heel is very cheap feeling -- clunks super loudly, the gel pad in the heel doesn't absorb enough impact, and the whole boot jangles more that I hoped the hardware would. It would be an AWESOME boot except for that darn heel!

BUT -- trying them on with super opaque black leggings & a long plaid shirt/tunic did confirm to me that I *DO* in fact really really really want boots.

I wonder if the pricier Duo's have leather soles & less-hollow-sounding heels? The one DUO that DH liked so much was lined with leather ... a luxe touch vs the fabric interiors of most of the US ones I've seen. Does that bode well for heel ya think? I should call them I guess & see. Or keep looking.

Man, I really like the LOOK of these though. Maybe I could put gel insoles into the whole shoe & solve the "feel" problem, with a calf-size down that is. It would still SOUND weird though. Harumph.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Aww, well heck. I ordered the pair with the extra wide calf (as opposed to the extra-extra) although I probably won't be able to try them on until tomorrow. UPS gave me an automated call this morning telling me I'd have to sign for them (wtf?!). I had to go back to zappos and make sure I didn't order 10 pair or something.

I suppose a cobbler could do something about the clunky heel but that seems a lot to go through for a new pair of boots.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kismet|1290025746|2770278 said:
Aww, well heck. I ordered the pair with the extra wide calf (as opposed to the extra-extra) although I probably won't be able to try them on until tomorrow. UPS gave me an automated call this morning telling me I'd have to sign for them (wtf?!). I had to go back to zappos and make sure I didn't order 10 pair or something.

I suppose a cobbler could do something about the clunky heel but that seems a lot to go through for a new pair of boots.
Kismet,
I might be totally overreacting. I don't wear a lot of "dress shoes" with hard heels like that. I kinda live in Dansko clogs & Uggs & tennis shoes & slippers! They might be "average" for all I know ... so I hope they work out for you. One thing I was thinking about doing if these worked out size wise was investigating putting a rubber sole & heel onto them for longer wear. Not even sure if that's possible! But might be worth investigating if you like the look & they fit otherwise. Good luck!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results