shape
carat
color
clarity

Your thoughts on final Marquise Selections

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoobiedo

Shiny_Rock
I am considering three MARQUISE stones. Which of these 3 do you like the most? I''m not sure about J Color. Here are the GIA reports info:

I
VS2
10.16 x 5.53 x 3.43
Depth: 62
Table: 59
Good Symmetry
Good Polish
Medium Blue Fluorescence
No culet
Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted

H
VS2
Table: 60
Depth: 63.8
10.86 x 5.5 x 3.51
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
No Culet and No Fluorescence
Medium to Thick, Faceted

J
SI1
Table: 56
Depth: 61.6
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Very Good
10.73 x 5.55 x 3.42
No culet and No Fluorescence
Medium to Thick, Faceted

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The grades and numbers do not reise any concerns... but what do these look like? Marquise stones are often not very brilliant, so I would defionitely want to know what these look like. On one hand, the GIA citations above would let one believe these three are visually identical - but in practice it is not easy to pair up marquises at all due to their different profiles and faceting...
2.gif
Could the seller provide Iscope pics ?

I would likely still experience "screen shock" after one of these would get infront of me. This is why a bit more info would be great: something like THIS maybe...

read.gif
For starters, you could always take a look at the cut grading tables and fancy shape selector on gemappraisers.com. According to this standard, the stone #2 gets a worse mark (potential 2B versus potential top 1A, with the pavilion height unknown...) than the others on your list and the the proportions of the three appear more clearly.

DevilsAdvocate

Rough_Rock
In that size range, the J color may show up some as a yellowish tint near the points.

Whenever I think of marquises I think of bowties. Do you know what that is?

The only real way to compare these, in my opinion, is to look at them, reports aside.

I have seen many marquises, pears, ovals with good looking lab reports but not so attractive diamonds to go with them.

If you can look at them at one time, side-by-side, under some different lighting that may help you make a choice.

The bowtie is a line (reflection) running across the middle, where the width is measured. It can be very light, or actually have a bowtie shape, sometimes being very large and/or dark. The less the better.

Don't forget to arrange a return of the stone within a certain period of time if you are unhappy. You might be surprized how many people see a diamond differently after they purchase it!

Hope this helps a bit.

zoobiedo

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the input. The vendor is getting the stones in to look at and give me more info. They should also provide an idealscope on them, too. I thought they all seemed fairly similar but wanted other opinions. I have made it clear that minimal bowtie is a very important part of the stone as well as lots of brilliance. Will keep you posted when I know more.
appl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results