shape
carat
color
clarity

Your opinion on this Princess cut diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BlueReneeNeko

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if this is a good princess cut diamond? Thank you.

The specs are as follows:

Shape: Princess
Carat weight: 1.76
Cut: Ideal
Color: E
Clarity: VS2
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 73.9%
Table: 72%
Polish: Excellent - Ideal
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle: Thin to slightly thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.50*6.48*4.79
Ratio: 1.00

This is a link that also has the GIA certificate:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?aff_id=ps621&cid=131&item=517601&scsize=1280

J6OO7

Rough_Rock
That seems to be a decent diamond. I would watch out for the girdle being too thin in many princess cuts but this one isn''t extremely thin or very thin so it seems to be ok. I''m not a diamond expert though so you may want to seek other peoples opinions too before you purchase it.

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
It seems like its a very nice stone based on the limited specs you have. Can you ask them to supply a picture of the diamond or an idealscope image? Also other specs like the crown angle would help get a better idea of the stone.

BlueReneeNeko

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies. I asked about the crown height and the vendor said it was 13.6%. He will take it to the appraiser tomorrow and hopefully more tests and images can be taken.

Update - The diamond is currently being appraised so I have more information now. Here is some of the new information:

Crown height - 13.6%
Pavilion angle - 39.3 degrees
Pavilion depth - 57.8%
Girdle - 2.8%
Table - 71% instead of 72%

Images will be sent to me tonight or tomorrow so I'll post them when I receive them.

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
I'm not seeing any images...
20.gif

The crown hight seems nice. So far I think it looks like a nice stone. Some people perfere to stay in the mid-high 60's for a table, however I do like the look of larger table % (in the early 70's) that is square rather than rounded better.

One thing with princess cuts is that you cannot just go with the numbers! You should still ask them to send you an image of the stone and/or an idealscope image.

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
This seems like a very nice cut.
18.gif
My guess very good or excellent. The variation form the thin to thick girdle is my only concern.

Can you get an Ideal-sope image b/c that will tell you a lot about the stone. Its hard to judge how the stone is going to look in other lighting situations but form what I can see, the symmetry looks good. This princess should have more fire b/c of the high crown angle.

I wish someone else had some opinions for you. But form what I can see it seems like a great stone and definately worth looking at.
36.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I too think this stone is worth considering based on the numbers. A TN, M, or SLK girdle is best, and your variation is not bad (see John's excellent answers) . However, you will want to note where the thin parts are on your girdle as thin corners can be prone to chipping.

I too would like to see an ideal scope image of this stone as the 3rd image MIGHT suggest a fair amount of light leakage. HOWEVER, it does not look bad (it looks better than average in fact). My guess is its performance will be similar to this stone but possibly a little better. I don't know for certain, but it's the closest image I could find in two minutes
37.gif
Sorry, I should be sleeping now.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
On a final note, it looks as though there''s a feather near one of the corners. I would have that checked!

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Just to give you an idea of the light leakage Researcher is concerned with. If you look back to the third picture, the dark areas that you see will give you great light return while the lighter parts MAY be an indication of light leakage.

Researcher, I was hoping you would respond.

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
It seems like a very nice stone overall, and has a nice look to it.

Are there any differences in how the idealcope image look in person then on camera. The reason I ask is that I don't seem to find any prominent dark spots on your princess and there should be at least a few for contrast and hot spots. However my stone doesn't have large hot spots either and I love it! Here is a good link on what an ideal cut princess looks like through an idealscope
Remember some stones may look better techinically on an idealscope but there could be something special about another stone that you like more.

Also, while looking through the idealscope, try and move your diamond form side to side (3/4 view) from each side of the stone and see how drastically the diamond looses the red and whether there are any larger pockets of white. You want to get a stone that can mainain the reds as you turn it 3/4.

The image I see on the picture seems like a very good cut and definately worthy enough of consideration. You should let your EYES make the final determination. Idealscope only tells you so much; its used to sort throug stones. Your eyes should be the final judge. So now its really up to you and your taste. Do YOU love it!

Another suggestion is, since you have the stone in your possesion, you may want to carfully take it with you to a store where there may be better cut diamond, like Fortuneoff for example. Fortunoff has a level of quality that you can expect in a cut and although their cuts may range largely in quality of cuts, you do sometimes see a clear winner. So take your stone to someplace like that (not Macys though or ther small chain stores) and see how it compares. Remember that b/c your stone is loose it will look a bit brighter and more sparkly than when it is set - thus looking slightly brighter than othe sets stones you will look at. I think doing this shoud make you feel more confident about your diamond if you see how much it out performs other stones.

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Here is another thought...try sending a private e-mail/message to some of the experts here on pricescope and see what they think?

Also, try and compair the areas of leakage that show in the idealscope and see how they tanslate to real life. Go back and forth to see those leakage areas with the idealscope and without (you can try reversing the idealscope and it will act like a 10X. SOmetimes the areas where there is leekage can look very dull, other times it may just result in more contrast and scinillation of the diamond and may not have as negative of an impact. So look and decide.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results