shape
carat
color
clarity

Your Opinion on Cushion? - ASET & Gemologist Review inc.

nelga

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

I've been madly trying to select a cushion diamond for this double halo ring ($2600).

I narrowed it down to 3 diamonds around 1.3ct, and in a modern cut (pinfire - lots of small flashes).

I requested an ASET test for 3 diamonds from JamesAllen, and also for the gemologist's review (both of which are below). When I saw the ASET photos, I was surprised that the reviewer chose the one that seemed to have the least amount of red, and most amount of black in the photo.

I was just curious if anyone else might be able to give a second opinion, and/or help me understand if this is the right choice.
Also, do you think the diamond (quality & performance) is worth the price, and could I do better?

From JamesAllen:
I'm happy to say that diamond 69330 ($8810) has great fire, brilliance, and scintillation. While the ASET images tells us otherwise, the gemologist has declared that this diamond is the brightest and most fiery of the group. It has the highest/whitest "G" color of the three, faces eye clean, and a rectangular outline. It's nicely cut and has modern faceting, which gives it lots of pin fire flashes of light.

Diamond 102480 ($7820 ) has a true "G" color, a soft square shape, and faces eye clean. The diamond isn't negatively impacted by its fluorescence and gets a slight color boost in day light. It performs nicely as well, but its performance isn't quite as strong as the top recommendation. Diamond 202818 ($8090) is eye clean, white in color, and also has the crushed ice appearance. It's rectangular in shape and has comparable performance to diamond 102480 ($7820).

I highly recommend moving forward with diamond 69330 ($8810), as our gemologist loves it and found it to be the brightest. As I addressed earlier in the email, the ASET images don't exactly tell us the same story, but the gemologist confirmed that it doesn't have any light leakage and that when compared alongside your other diamonds, this diamonds performance is the strongest and balances the best.

69330aset.jpg

102480aset.jpg

202818aset.jpg

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Well the third aset you posted is the best and since you like the type of cut I'd say go for it. I don't necessarily agree with #1 being the best performer because the aset doesn't look that well...I may be wrong, but the more red, the better. I'm also a fan of the tiny flashes so I hope you get a gorgeous one and come back with a lot of pics!!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
well I have seen lately that, especially with fancy's with that crushed ice look, an aset only hold so much weight in the decision.

I have bought a diamond from JA and i really trust their eye when it comes to these things, so its hard, im inclined to say go with whatever one they find to be the most attractive.

do you have the links to the actual stones?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps it's the contrast that the gemologist sees in the first stone that is so appealing.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The more I learn about ASETs for fancies, the less I rely on them. I find that using the ASET in conjunction with pictures and video is more helpful since ASETs do not tell the full story. I would go with stone one, per JA's advise, as I also find that to be a more appealing stone. Stone 3 has dark areas under the table that stand out too much for me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results