shape
carat
color
clarity

Yes, ANOTHER question about halos

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock

It''s funny I see someone is asking about the Whiteflash halo ring and whether it can be made in platinum. I have a question about the same ring. Anyway, I have contacted Bob at Whiteflash about making either the bezel set or prong set halo for me. I would like to replace the white diamonds around the halo with a light delicate pink and have them set in rose gold. He said they could do this and will get back to me with a price. Does anyone have any feeling about whether the bezel set or prong set halo would lend itself better to doing this? Where should the rose gold begin and end?

I am also in contact with Bill Pearlman about a possible Ritani ring (they show it with yellow diamonds) or a Beverly K setting with pink diamonds.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Cindy

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd do the whole halo in the rose gold. sounds lovely. I would suggest reading up on the differences between pave rings that are cast verses handmade and the pros and cons of each. I love pave and plan on getting pave rings for my upgrade but will only purchase ones that are handmade. It won't eliminate the potential of a tiny stone popping out but I believe it does make a difference. you can read a thread I started asking about it here there is also a link in that thread that Leon Mege wrote about pave that I found very informative and helpful.

oh and bezel set vs. prong set halo is just a matter of preference. If you can go and try some on, that would be the best way to tell which style you prefer on your hand.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have to say that I've seen some of the Beverly K helo rings... and some of them are just GORGEOUS in person. I've seen Ritani's in person too... and for some reason... they didn't wow me as much in person. The Bev K's pic's I've seen (on the Bev K site)... don't do justice to them. Ritani's pics do. Anyway... I'm going to have to go browse on the Bev K site now. LOL.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Mrss (cute dog by the way) another thing to think about- handmade vs cast. I can only assume handmade would be quite a bit more expensive? I assume Leon Mege would do this? Who else?

Gypsy thanks for the comment about the Beverly K rings. I am going to get a quote on one of her settings.

There is also a ring on the Harry Kotlar website (on their home page www.harrykotlar.com) that is a cushion cut diamond set in rose gold with pink diamonds in the halo. Very pretty. I saw in doing searches that Mark from engagement rings direct was able to get someone a mounting from there. Does anyone know anything about the quality of Harry Kotlar?

I need to change my mind and pick something simple-lol.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/here-it-is-4-71-ct-cushion-in-kotlar-setting.27423/ that is what i know of harry kotlar
3.gif

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Belle. I did see that thread. Unfortunately, I see that the person with those rings hasn''t posted since April of ''05 so I can''t ask them how well they''ve held up.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2006 11:48:40 PM
Author: Cind11
Mrss (cute dog by the way) another thing to think about- handmade vs cast. I can only assume handmade would be quite a bit more expensive? I assume Leon Mege would do this? Who else?

Many designer rings are handmade, part of the reason for the higher pricetag. Ritani, micheal b, michael beaudry, are all handmade. I think Leon is actually surprising well priced for handmade, custom projects so that might be an option too. A caste ring will be cheaper which is a plus for many people. I have found that many times you get what you pay for. Castings are fine with certain styles, I just don''t trust the method entirely for pave, but that''s me. I''m sure many are very happy and haven''t had problems. I''m sure you''ll be able to make the decision that''s best for you.

love that Harry Kolter ring
30.gif

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Mrssalvo. I did get a price from WF today. I''m waiting to get prices on the other mountings before making a decision. I wonder if the WF ring is cast? I thought Bob was goig to call me and I would have asked that question but he emailed me instead so I didn''t get a chance to ask that question.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can double check with WF but I do believe they use the casting method.

qqq

Shiny_Rock
If you want an idea of how it will look bezel set w/pink diamonds in the halo, you can check out my thread "The Royal Setting". Also, if you want a high quality handmade piece, you should definitely check out Maytal. She is amazing, and her prices are more reasonable than you could believe. Let me know if you want her contact info.

qqq

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
you can see qqq''s gorgeous setting here

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, qqq your ring is beautiful. I saw Maytal''s contact info. and I''m going to contact her.

Mrssalvo, apparently the WF ring (per Bob) is part cast and part handmade.

I have also spoken with Mark at engagement rings direct who said he could make the same ring he made for "fatguy" but with pink diamonds in the halo if I decide to go the cushion route.

There are now too many choices and I''m only getting more confused-lol.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2006 1:50:38 PM
Author: Cind11

I have also spoken with Mark at engagement rings direct who said he could make the same ring he made for ''fatguy'' but with pink diamonds in the halo if I decide to go the cushion route.

I love the ring mark made for fatguy..if the price is in your budget I''d go that route in a heartbeat
30.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooh a pink halo sounds divine...i'd do the bezel set ... which i prefer anyway over the prong set. i like the cleaner line of differentation between the stone and the bezel stones.

re: casting vs handmade, i have tried on the WF halo rings in person and they are as delicate, precise and well-made as can be(i guess for casted pieces)....in fact i never thought i was a halo person but i absolutely ADORE those rings, they look so romantic. i have even thought about maybe doing a halo for a right hand ring but i don't know that it would 'match' with my ering style which could kind of bug me. anyway....just thought i'd throw out my visual hands on experience with the casted halos....i know that some just absolutely love handmade, but i know that there are people on here with casted halos who are ecstatic with their rings, they have held up just fine, and it is a cheaper price point as well. so i would really consider both options in their entirety, and go with what works best for your budget.

can't wait to hear what you do and see pictures. rose gold yum!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Well Mrss, I''m waiting for the quote from Mark. He said it would be today but I haven''t heard from him yet.

To further muddy the waters, I''m waiting for quotes from Bill Pearlman too on a Ritani and Beverly K setting. I wish I could buy a ring from each vendor, they''ve been great.

Mara, thanks for the comments about the WF ring. It''s so difficult when I can''t see any of these rings in person. So your comments about the delicacy and look of the ring greatly helps.

I like the cushion idea because it seems like cushions lend themselves well to halos. Having a round stone is appealing because it would perhaps be more brilliant.

I am so indecisive. This ring would be for my 25th anniversary which is Sept. 12. My DH said I should do all the legwork. Then he''ll surprise me with it, some time between now and September. So you all could be waiting for a long time for pics. Ha Ha.

I''m so happy that my soon to be 14 year old daughter helped me change my avatar. I''ve had the same boring "blue guy" since I came on PS in 2004.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cind11,
congrats on your upcoming anniversary. What a wonderful decision to have to make. Please keep us posted as to your progress and which direction you decide to go. I don''t think you can go wrong with any of the vendors you are working with and hope you''ll end up with your well derserved dream ring.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
What exactly is a casting method? I figure that''s an already made piece, right?

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the anniversary wishes Mrss.

Jelly, I believe casted means that it''s made from a mold. Someone correct me if I''m wrong.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/22/2006 6:20:40 PM
Author: Jelly
What exactly is a casting method? I figure that''s an already made piece, right?

Jelly, it has to do with how the the metal is formed when making a ring. you can read some great explanations of the methods by Neil and Bill Pearlman in this thread

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the info! I've ordered an Adwar setting through WF and am curious how this whole method works.

I'm quoting Bill Pearlman from this other thread (I hope he doesn't mind):

I have a lot of experience with the handmade pave rings. In this case a piece of metal is laid out and shaped by hand annealing or shaping by hammering the metal to a very dense degree. The method is similar to what Neil said above. The piece can be cast or made by hand using cold hard stock ( Non cast and never liquefied) except in the alloying process. Structurally the non cast and die struck is the finest and most stable for their are no week points and we'll use rings for the analogy. We should add micro pave to the type of setting also with traditional pave. This is where 4 tiny prongs are raised with a tool other than a graver to produce round prongs. These can be shared prongs with the diamond adjacent to it or on a single stone.

Advantages of handmade as described above: Durability, longevity, strength of beads and prongs. Well made pieces you will almost never see stress fractures and the diamonds are more secure because you are not bending metal to go over the diamonds. As with any piece the expertise of the jeweler is of utmost consideration.

Disadvantages: Extremely time consuming to make and very expensive. Some can take 2 to 4 weeks of additional time.

Casting/cad cam

Advantages: Time of production is quicker and pricing.

Disadvantages: Depending on the casting equipment items can be pourris depending on the velocity the metal is slammed into the mold. Stress fractures from pressure applied to the ring. Cast prongs are bent so problems with the vertical angle where they are bent can sometimes be sheared off. Longevity and durability.

This could be a very long response but is just a quick overview. One more thing of note. Using either method of production the metal used should always be refined. We see problems occur when a piece has been melted down from a previous piece and recast. The metals structure changes here and additional problems almost always happen.

----------------------
Bill Pearlman
www.pearlmansjewelers.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results