shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow Gold Setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
I am a Lady in Waiting and my FF and I have been ring shopping together. I don''t personally have a preference for white or yellow gold, but he loves yellow. I prefer that our wedding bands match, so I will probably go with yellow gold. The setting that I loved when we went shopping was a solitaire cathedral setting. The band contours around the prongs (see picture). I am wondering, if I pick yellow gold, will this affect the appearance of the diamond''s color? I want a round diamond, and would prefer a D-G color diamond. I was thinking though that because the gold comes up and is right next to the diamond, if the diamond would seem more yellow or more white.

contour ring.jpeg

stitch

Shiny_Rock
For the Range D-G, I don''t think the diamond''s color will be affected.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
many will recommend the head of the ring to be in platinum so no it will not affect the color of your diamond, Yellow gold prongs will help lower color diamonds more in the K or lower range to appear slightly whiter though. However, just remember if you do some some sort of tint, it could mean that your diamond is just reflecting the shank in some instances, If well cut I"m sure it will be beautiful nonetheless

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I think the stone reflects the color. At least from the side. I have 2 pics that I took for another PS member just to show how the bands are flush, the side effect was seeing how the stone looked a little tinted from the side when up against yellow gold.

Frist one is with a yellow band..

yband.jpg

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
next is with a platinum band.

psst.. D&T these pics were for you when you were considering Sholdt.. lol

wbandsh.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/17/2009 12:29:09 PM
Author: elle_chris
next is with a platinum band.

psst.. D&T these pics were for you when you were considering Sholdt.. lol
lol... I remember those
9.gif
... You are such a sweetheart Elle! Thank you! and I remember seeing the reflections on the yellow gold band for sure

ETA: and no longer considering Sholdt.... I just did it!
36.gif
its now mine
27.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
12/17/2009 12:26:00 PM
Author: D&T

many will recommend the head of the ring to be in platinum so no it will not affect the color of your diamond,
My diamonds are in the colorless range. I set some directly in yellow gold anyway. In fact, my lowest color stone (a G color), is set in 24K gold, which is very yellow indeed! My solitaire, however, an F color, is set in yellow gold, but with a platinum head and prongs...for the reason that D&T gave. That is extremely common. I don''t mind having yellow gold next to a high color diamond, but I also don''t mind mixing metals. You should do what pleases your eye. Good luck!

AGBF
34.gif

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for the help! I think seeing the diamond in white versus yellow really helped. I probably won''t make a final decision until I actually get the ring.
3.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I love that mounting!! I have my original diamond, a .60 oec, mounted in that and it is wonderful!!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
12/17/2009 3:29:49 PM
Author: MayFlowers

Thanks everyone for the help! I think seeing the diamond in white versus yellow really helped. I probably won't make a final decision until I actually get the ring.
I think that the photos that were posted were quite unusual. There are many diamonds set in yellow gold in a thread about them that show sparkling white diamonds in yellow gold. I will try to post a link to that thread just to give you some other photos with thich to compare the ones above, Mayflowers. In the meantime, here in a photo collage of photos of my ring, which has mixed metals: a yellow gold shank and a platinum head and prongs.

AGBF
34.gif

PlatinumHeadYellowShank.jpg

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you want a white metal then get a white metal. I know it seems very important and romantic now to have the same color metal as your bf/FF, but after you are married it will not seem as important anymore
2.gif

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
D&T- GRATS!! I think you're going to love it
9.gif

AGBF- I don't think the pics were unusual. They were taken at the same time. Only difference was when i took the pic with the yellow band, i was facing the window. The one with the platinum band, i had turned away. They're not "glamour" shots where we see diamonds looking their best
1.gif
. Just normal pics taken with northern day light coming in. While the white balance is off, you can still clearly see the color difference between the yellow and white.

Not sure what the top of the stone looks like as i don't wear it with the tiff band, but from the side, you could easily see the yellow reflection in the pavilion. It did make the stone look tinted. The diamond is a G.

chrisyel01

Rough_Rock
Go for the white gold band, or even two tone with hints of yellow on it do that you can wear other yellow gold jewellery?
Another idea is to have a white gold eternity bands with perhaps yellow diamonds in it? i have sen this look and it is a great compromise of how to include the warmth of yellow without changing metals.
=)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results