shape
carat
color
clarity

Yellow Diamond Help!

moaks

Rough_Rock
I was originally going to have my engagement ring remade and hubby was on board, then he changed his mind and got offended. :roll: He doesn't get my desire to change, so I'm not going to push the subject..yet.

I'm turing 30 in January and have decided that maybe I'd spend the $3000 on a yellow diamond instead.

Here are some contenders I'm looking at right now:

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/10380.htm

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/7624.htm

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/10119.htm

Right now they are on sale so I need to decide soon. Those of you who have experience with yellow diamonds let me know what you think would be the best buy.

73_oval.jpg

78_oval.jpg

91_oval.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the first one best - it looks to have the brightest color. I like the second one least. The last one is okay, but the first one isn't too much smaller than it and has better color so would still be my choice.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seeing all 3 side by side helps me compare them.

This is a tough one, though I'd elimate 2.
There are reasons to pick 1 but I'm leaning towards 3 even though the color of 1 is more saturated.

Here are some reasons:
#3 has the largest face up of the three.
VS1 is fine for me; I don't need VVS.
Faint fluorescence is VERY unlikely to detract from the look when viewed in sunlight, even if the fluorescence was of an unfortunate hue.
It has no feathers, which I personally try to avoid since 'feather' is the diamond industry's pretty word for crack. (Donning flame suit once again.) That said, I own some colored diamonds with nasty feathers because they are of rare colors so there were few comps to pick from.
The girdle has no Thin areas which are more vulnerable to chipping.

But most of all, the hue itself of 3 looks more attractive to my eye.
#3 has more even color throughout the diamond, fewer darker areas, and the Yellow looks fresher and cleaner to me, like a lemon.
"Pure" GIA Yellow grade can have a touch of either green, brown or orange but not enough to get a grade of say Greenish-Yellow.
To my eyes I think I see a smidgen of brown in 1 when compared to 3.

Granted, the color of the first one, on the left, is more saturated than the other two and we often hear Color is King with FCDs, but the yellow in 1 looks harsh and brash to my taste.
Another person may prefer 1's hue, as color preference is entirely personal.

#1 also has more dark areas (though perhaps this is nothing more the cut reflecting the camera at that particular distance).
If so, once you set the diamond and move it around that problem would vanish.

A photography set up may flatter one diamond and detract from another.
This is why judging by a still photo that captures one instant can be unfair, since diamonds change their appearance dramatically when you move them or change the environment.

Frankly, if you have the funds or credit I'd buy both and return one.
It will only cost you shipping, and if you time it right you can get the refund during the same credit card billing cycle.
Live is BY FAR the best way to know if you like the color and cut and since they look so different I suspect you will instantly like one better.
I strongly recommend seeing both 1 and 3 in person and a little voice in my head is suspecting 1 may have more lively light performance than 3.

first_on_left.png

moaks

Rough_Rock
It will only cost you shipping, and if you time it right you can get the refund during the same credit card billing cycle.

Hmm I never thought of doing this. I've never purchased a stone from them before but I know that you have. Have you gone this route? I saw on their site that they also have the ability to send if for viewing for 10% of the stone price though it's vague if it gets applied to the stone purchase or not.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
moaks|1356807087|3342333 said:

Hmm I never thought of doing this. I've never purchased a stone from them before but I know that you have. Have you gone this route? I saw on their site that they also have the ability to send if for viewing for 10% of the stone price though it's vague if it gets applied to the stone purchase or not.

From Lebish's Buyer FAQ:

"Q. Do you have a retail store?
A. No, we do not have a retail store. The beauty of Leibish & Co. is the ability to view our stones anywhere, anytime, in the comfort of your home or office! However, if you would like to view a stone in person, we are happy to arrange viewing of stones in various locations around the world as well as at our headquarters in Israel. There is a cost of 10% of the price of the stone to ship it for viewing. Please contact us at [email protected] or call 1-855-LEIBISH (1-855-534-2474) for more information."

I'd contact them and ask about this, and mention that the policy could be clarified.

Yes, I've returned stones to them.
In fact I've bought 20 and returned 8 ... here's a thread about my FCD saga.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fancy-colored-diamond-collection.159746/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fancy-colored-diamond-collection.159746/[/URL]

moaks

Rough_Rock
Kenny,
There site phone number is down now, so I have another question for you.
Do you have the purchase them one at a time? Also have you ever done the wire transfer?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
moaks|1356809542|3342342 said:
Kenny,
There site phone number is down now, so I have another question for you.
Do you have the purchase them one at a time? Also have you ever done the wire transfer?

Like much of the diamond industry they are closed Saturdays.
Also when calling them keep in mind the time difference since they are in Israel.

Yes I have wired funds to get the price that is lower than the credit card price.
It worked every time with no problem from here in the USA.
If you paid by wire then they issue a refund via wire.

I'd never wire funds to a company I did not trust, and yes a credit card is safer ... again if you have reason to be suspicious of the seller.
When I'm comfortable with the seller I'd rather save the money and get the wire discount.
I doubt any CC gives you points that are worth as much as the wire discount.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd have the vendor share their opinion of 1 and 3 with you but I'm leaning towards 1. I think the cover of the case could be distorting what we see. I have no issues doing a wire transfer to Leibish because they are established and trustworthy.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I'd eliminate two. I don't like it.

One seems more vivid in coloration, three I personally find more pleasing in coloration. It's also a bonus that it's bigger, and you're not overpaying for VVS-level clarity. It would likely be my pick, but it is your choice, your preferences.

I wouldn't hesitate to wire money to Leibish. I've had 6 transactions with them, including one very prompt, no questions asked return/refund and a return/exchange. They are honest and trustworthy, to the extreme.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results