shape
carat
color
clarity

WWYD - lots of antique cut gorgeousness inside!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I am still in the decision-making stage in my quest for a large antique stone. Erica sent through these wonderful comparison photos and videos. I'd love to know what you guys think...and to make it less difficult to choose, we'll say that theoretically I will be purchasing TWO of these stones. :tongue: Which one do you like least, and why?

Left to right, bottom to top: 4.09 N/O OEC, 2.60 J OEC, 2.67 I trannie. Remember - they're EGL-level color grades.

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Client-Folders/409-267-and-260ct-OEC/22912957_Vbk2s4

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite is the middle stone (2.6). It's so pretty! I want to like the big one but something about the facet pattern just doesn't appeal to me as much. I liked the transitional in the photographs but in the videos the center always looked dark.

Um. I don't know which I like least. I guess maybe the transitional if it always stays that dark. While the facet pattern of the big one appeals to me less than the 2.6, I could get over that a lot more easily than darkness in the middle of the diamond.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
The J OEC is my top pick,followed by the 4 carat. I am not a fan of the tranny at all. It seemed to go dark more.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I only know what my eye likes and that 2.60 is beautiful. If I had the money I would have called Grace to trade up. I love that stone :love: . The 4 ct would be my second choice. I also don't love the 2.67.... I'm no expert... Just throwing in my opinion... It doesn't come with much knowledge...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 2.60 is listed as L color on JBEG's site, not J. I could see a lot more color in the 4 ct and the 2.60 than in the transitional. I really can't tell on video how I would feel about that in person, though. An L EGL will be more like N for GIA. Very pretty stones, though!

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I thought that I would like the 4 carat, but I really love the middle diamond. They are all gorgeous.

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
Could someone educate me: are warmer colors valued in OEC diamonds? It seems like women like the warmer colors for these stones? :read:

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
J OEC hands down. Best cut, my preferencw is those bubbly OEcs.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
My eye tells me the middle one - 2.60 J OEC. That's what appealed to me in the videos. I prefer the chunks on that stone and I liked the facet pattern and culet better on that stone.

(but I am not that skilled at selecting OEC's!)

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone!

Nice spotting, DS - the center stone is an L. I was remembering another new stone listed, the 2.56, when I referred to it being J.

It seems to me that the eye likes what the eye likes. :)) The overwhelming favorite is the one that I am also most drawn to, though they all have their merits. I also like the patterning of the 4 ct, though I would actually consider getting the culet ground down a bit more so that it is slightly more prominent (my preference). I am struggling to get my head around that it is an N/O EGL - GIA would be more like a Q? Though Erica's assessment of my ering stone was a J/K, and I've had it graded as both a J and a K, GIA standard. So perhaps it really would be an N/O GIA? The struggle comes from the fact that I can't *see* that much difference in its color in the video or the photos. But surely in real life, the tint will be more obvious.

Now, the third contender. According to Erica, who I suspect we'd all agree has a pretty sharp eye for these things, the transitional is just stunning. BUT it photographs and videos terribly because all of the central facets reflect back the black of the camera. Getting this one would be taking a complete punt on her word alone. She has suggested that, value for dollar, this is by far the best to purchase. I do see a hint of how prety it could be in a couple of the very first photos.

I really am thinking of getting two, just so I can see them both in person and then decide from there. I must admit I am leaning towards size in this case - I set out to get a BIG stone. Perhaps it would be best to get it and either the 2.6/2.67, see if the lower color bothers me, and then decide accordingly. :wacko:

Titan, warm colors are not valued more in old cuts, in terms of pricing - it is the same as modern, with colorless being the most expensive. However, it seems that most people who love the faceting of antique stones also appreciate the way that the warmer stones seem to produce a unique range of prominent, pastel fire. I have seen antique stones in nearly every color that are just stunning, but I do prefer them under a J or so. The warmth and big, bubbly facets are really mesmerizing IRL. :love:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, what the camera/video is doing to that tranny aside, personally I like the steeper crown/smaller table of the other two. Spending that kind of money, I wouldn't be into value per dollar. I'd be into getting the prettiest stone to my eye: faceting, optics, profile.

And since part of the fun for me (although this certainly isn't a deal breaker), is PHOTOGRAPHING the stone and sharing with my diamond loving PSers, I wouldn't want a stone that photographs yucky. :tongue:

vinjewels

Brilliant_Rock
I have been drooling over the 2.60 since they listed it. There's just something about it that my eyes like!! I am a novice though. It is just pure eye appeal :love:
And I have to add...seeing my EGL J set and unset was like night and day as far as being able to see tint. So the pics/in person appearance of a stone loose is the most tinted it will ever look.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
FWIW a friend of mine saw the 2.6 L in person and it blew her socks off ;))

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go for the 4ct. I think you would be fine with the color and it's a very symmetrical, well balanced looking stone. It looks YUMMY and HUGE :love:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1336846517|3193870 said:
The J OEC is my top pick,followed by the 4 carat. I am not a fan of the tranny at all. It seemed to go dark more.

Me too.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
bright ice|1336875039|3194081 said:
I would go for the 4ct. I think you would be fine with the color and it's a very symmetrical, well balanced looking stone. It looks YUMMY and HUGE :love:

I am with Bright Ice.

You want a huge stone. This is it!!! :bigsmile:

I thought the middle one was really beautiful, but call me shallow if you will, the big one is the one my eye was drawn to every time!!!

What a lovely predicament. I hope to see whatever you chose on a Perth GTG in the very near future!

:wavey:

( Ps. Sorry I never replied on the recent thread, I have been ill in bed the last couple of days!!!)

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
bright ice|1336875039|3194081 said:
This!!! :love:

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
All I can say is lucky you to be picking, those pics are so blingy! :love: :love:

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without reading the responses so I wasn't swayed, I like the middle one the best. I like the colours, the pattern, and it's table and crown. It just looked the best from all angles to me. I'm not sure which I like least.

Kellybell

Shiny_Rock
While the 2.6 is still my favorite, if I were going for size I would definitely go for the 4ct. Looks like a beautiful stone, and you can't beat the spread or the bling!

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know anything really, other than what I like,
and I too, looked at all the photos n videos before reading
anyone's comments.
I liked the big one least, middle one best BY FAR !!!!

So, I guess if I were you, I would take a look at the 2 top contenders
in real life and then go from there.
I love and respect all those who go for the biggest, but hey..... justme. :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results