shape
carat
color
clarity

WWPSD? Live w/ it? Return to original B&M? New w/PS Vendor?

WWPS do with a 7 month reset that continues to have problems?

• go back to initial vendor to try to get them to fix it (but if they could have, they would have at t

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • live with it - its not that big of a deal to have a tarnished WG ring

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • scrap it, start over using a PS vendor

Votes: 39 92.9%

• Total voters

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I feel so discouraged. This is month 7 of my 3 stone princess reset and its giving me problems again. I've posted previously that its turned grey at the 2 1/2 month mark; I discovered glue holding the centre stone in place; its been rhodium plated 4 times in total from when I got it in late October to March and needs something done to it again.

Its 18k WG w palladium alloy. I've read thru the alloy threads again today - this does not look like unplated WG shown as examples. This truly looks dark grey/tarnished old silver in colour. My photos don't seem to pick up that discolouration well.

The diamonds and the setting, I still like but I'm just getting this niggling feeling in the back of my mind that this is going to be an ongoing problem for life, with this particular setting and the frustration is mounting, causing me to project ill feelings on to this inanimate object! I don't like my ring - there, I've said it outloud.

In terms of caring for it, it comes off at night, I now clean it about twice a week with mild dishwashing liquid/warm water/soft baby tooth brush. No lotions, no banging it, I do use hand sanitizer but wash ASAP when I'm near water. At the same time this ring was made, I combined 2 rings into one, also by the same vendor in the same 18k WG w palladium alloy, and it is still perfectly white. Granted I wear it about 3/4 the time that I wear this ring, but still... 4 times plated and still going gray? There is something wrong with this alloy mix right from the start.

Here's the dilemma. I really don't want to have anything to do with the original company. As Dreamer had said in one of my threads, "If they could have done it right the first time, they would have" and I believe that philosophy and have posted it myself to others! I don't really feel the urge to advise them about the quality of their bench - nothing will come of a further discussion with them and I just end up upsetting myself, so I feel it's best that door is closed.

The jeweller I used for an independent appraisal, fixed the glue from the prongs, reset the centre stone and expressed legitimate concerns about the quality of this setting. I could go there for a remake. (That info was in one of my threads about why is this ring gray).

Now I'm torn between living with it (just deal with it Enerchi, this is not a terminal illness, its a RING - grow up!) vs scrap it, start over and go with a known entity. I've emailed Denise at BGD and asked for input on 3 of their 3 stones. What I'd like to do, is use the 12 melee diamonds (no idea of size - they were from a previous anniversary band - maybe 1 to 3 pointers max) and have them set into a super skinny spacer - maybe gypsy set... whatever, least of my concerns at present.

I'd like PS input on this. I tend to lose perspective when I get too wrapped up in something. The rabbit hole of paranoid thinking looms large in my mind!!!

Here are other threads on it: (geesh, 4 threads on the same thing??? Really - this is insane!)
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-3-stone-e-ring-upgrade.167386/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-3-stone-e-ring-upgrade.167386/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wg-ring-tarnishing-to-gray-normal.169325/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/wg-ring-tarnishing-to-gray-normal.169325/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/re-plating-how-long-should-that-take.171002/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/re-plating-how-long-should-that-take.171002/[/URL]
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-is-under-my-prongs.171975/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-is-under-my-prongs.171975/[/URL]

WWPSD?

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: WWPSD? Live w/ it? Return to original B&M? New w/PS Vend

That looks..so wrong. Start over. Either at the shop that fixed this, or elsewhere. But this shop that made it cannot be trusted. WHo knows what will happen next!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I agree, have it re-made. It sounds like a problem that will keep bothering you. It would bother me, I think. Good luck with it! It's a beautiful design. I looked at your original thread about it, love that pic with the dog looking up at you. ::)

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

I would start over 8) BDG have a pretty trellis in WG for a very reasoable price. I would have the sentimental stones bunish set into a matching wb a la the Tiffany bezet.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock

I'm so sorry you are having to go through this. It is frustrating and takes away from the enjoyment of the ring. :(sad Unfortunately, I agree with others about having it redone, and not by the jeweler you previously used. Honestly, I don't see anything good coming from them, they have continually had problems giving you a quality ring. I think your best bet is to work with a jeweler or vendor you trust, that way you can have a ring that you can truly enjoy.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm sorry, Enerchi. I'm kind of going through the same thing, original bench did a not so hot job. I vote reset with a PS vendor! They will do a great job.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

ame|1338772487|3208570 said:
That looks..so wrong. Start over. Either at the shop that fixed this, or elsewhere. But this shop that made it cannot be trusted. WHo knows what will happen next!
You are so right - can they be trusted? It really irritates me when I hear their ads on the radio and the big bus and billboard ads ---- if only I could let the world know what a mess they can make of something!!!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks for not thinking I'm crazy Gemfever, Armywife and Laila! It kind of wears on you and you loose perspective, so I'm glad to get your input that this is not a good thing.

BGD is already working on something for me, so if I get info back from Denise and it looks reasonable/possible/financially "do-able", I may be able to get this done at the same time (well, that's ME talking, they may have something to say about that!)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh no. I'm sorry Enerchi :sick:

I agree that I've lost all faith in the original vendor - I remember all those threads well. Poor plating, metal weirdness and wonk, glue - frankly they owe *you* for all the headache!!

I'd probably start over too, if it's reasonable/possible/financially do-able. I'm quite sure BGD can make you happy (in a finally final way!) if that's what you decide to do!

ETA: It could be the right metal, just a poor casting job? Well, not that it matters, the glue kinda sealed the deal :nono:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh Enerchi! I'm sorry that you have had to deal with all of this! :(sad
If you end up going with BGD, Denise and the gang will definitely do you right!

oohsparkly

Shiny_Rock

Hi Enerchi,

I'm very sorry to see this trouble you've had.... How on earth do these people get awards when they use GLUE??? That is fully wrong. I would ring up the people that give out these awards and tell them about the glue...

About the rhodium plating - I haven't read your other threads yet - just looked on your link after your kind comments on my own custom frustration - I am wondering why it has needed to be redone so often? Is it very thin plating? Or is it something about the metal that is causing the rhodium to wear quickly?

One thing I have learnt is that if palladium is heated too much and not quenched often it turns dark. So I am wondering if it is the palladium part of the ring that is the cause of the problems. Because of course gold doesn't tarnish...

One thing I want to say that I hope you will like -

Your side profile has got to be the all-time prettiest for a 3 stone trellis I HAVE EVER SEEN!! I've saved it in my favorites file for when I get on with my 3 stone plans for a RHR! so that's something...

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

I think I would start over with another vendor. The metal looks bad and the ring doesn't even look circular??

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

I would actually ask the B&M to fix it one more time if there is no cost to you. Then, I would keep that setting for something else or sell it. I would then pursue a PS vendor to make the ring of your dreams.

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

I agree with Charmy, ask them to fix it one more time--with a different manufacturer. IIRC you are in Canada and I have seen one manufacturer with that (*sorry*) hideous 'white gold' alloy and I was speechless the first time I saw it, I felt so bad for the owner.

I can't even describe what it looks like, but it is truly awful and you have every right to have it remade in a proper alloy mix--Pd WG does not look like this from any other manufacturer I have seen, this company just got it really, really wrong and you should not have to pay the price for that. ETA: I cannot stress enough that it looks even worse, way worse in person than Enerchi's photos! I feel so :( for you.

That said, for lurkers, if metal color is important to you--please ask your jeweler to show you an example of the exact metal from the manufacturer they use before you spend thousands on a custom mount! Ask for them to unplate it as well so you can see how it wears. It is a simple process that would likely have saved this situation, it's unfortunate that jeweller's do not offer this option up front but if they are worth your $$ they will show you if you ask.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

And I am not convinced my dear that it is a custom setting in the way that we think of it. I think they ordered a stock mount and added the bezel set stone on the central basket, and perhaps added the channel stones. They call is "custom" but really it is not.

princessfeedme

Shiny_Rock

I would just scrap it and go elsewhere. It's definitely not worth the frustration you feel every time you wear this. I'm sorry for all the trouble this has caused you, considering how careful you are with it. I'm very rough with one of my 18K white gold ring (24/7 wear, lotion, shower, dishes, wearing on my dominant hand) and it only fades to a warm silver color, and only requires re-plating every 2-3 years.

mogster

Shiny_Rock

I think if you have the means to, you should get a new setting with a PS vendor. I would consider it the price to pay for mental peace. :)

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Enerchi...this is so wrong! I'm sorry! I am voting to start over. :errrr: I don't think I would take any business back to this B&M :nono: it will save you the disappointment.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

Enerchi, I know that you want to love your ring, and if it were another PSer asking the same question, you would tell them to start over with another vendor. It may be an object, but it's what the object represents, who wants to hate something that was given to them to signify the love you share with another person?? You need to resolve this so that you can get on with loving your ring! I'm so sorry that you keep having so many problems with your ring! *hugs*

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh Enerchi, I am sorry you are dealing with this. Definitely do not live with it- it's your ring and it's important to you. You want to wear it every day and it matters. I vote to start anew with a more trusted (PS) vendor and get exactly the ring you want! Hopefully this will soon be a distant memory and you will be thrilled with your remade ring!! Wishing you an easy process from here on out!

plummiecat

Shiny_Rock

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this mess. I would want to start over with a brand new ring from a different vendor.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

I agree that you should start again with a new vendor. BGD are an excellent company who will ensure you are 100% happy with your ring. I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience. Let a better vendor make you happy. :))

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks so much to all of you!!! I feel so pleased that so many posters came on here to support me - thank you all sooooo much because it means a lot to me to have you guys in my corner :halo:

Yssie - I hear ya - I feel like Renee Zellweger " You had me at GLUE" :lol: - to think they felt it was ok to set with glue, and not tell me, and just go 'NICE" when the owner saw the photos and not address it... yeah... buh BYE!

PintoBean - I have complete and utter faith in BGD! I only have studs from them and am getting a pendant, but there seems to be nothing they can't do perfectly! I just hope I can swing it...

ooohsparkly - I did not know that info about the Palladium alloy being heated then needed to cool or it will darken. That sure sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing. I knew the rhodium would wear off and that the YG component would eventually show thru, and that palladium, from the platinum (read:white!!) family would help minimize the yellow - but gray was never on my radar. I'm inclined to agree - this alloy was ... um... lets go with "TAINTED" from the start (I had a few other thoughts in mind :mad: )

Charmypoo - The original wax I was shown was too think on the shank - I sent emails x 2 and the SA made a note on the form that was sent back, to thin it out - thin thin thin. When the ring came back (finished) it was just the same - no thinning (again, do these people get NOTHING right???) so it was sent back to be thinned out and the baskets had to be polished - they were left rough and were not polished when it was sent out as a finished product! (yeah - you'd think I'd have had a heads up WAY earlier than now... :rolleyes: ) Anyhow, the 'thinning out' process gave it this unique shape. "Unique" - see how I spin that to a positive feature? :lol:

Shimmer - yes, I'm in Ontario, Canada. You make a very good point - as does oohsparkly in her thread on her custom ring - bring in a sample of the exact colour of what you are looking for. I never did that - I didn't assume I'd have to for this! But, the importance of being very clear and specific is one to make note of. I thought I was with this ring... I think its the quality of what they choose to deliver that determines whether this particular B&M actually listens to anyone.

Dreamer - yes, it was custom. We drew it out, I was thrilled with the drawing and it was sent in with a whack of internet photos and comments. The green wax mold came back - we made MORE notes and sent it back. I'm thinking there is something comforting to be said for purchasing a stock item! No fuss, no muss! ;))

Princessfeedme - it is SO frustrating and I think I'm making it up or my eyes are deceiving me or I'm making too big a deal over something simple as a ring. I mean, it isn't the cure for cancer or WW3 or the last breath I'll ever take - those are big things! - so I feel kind of stupid and 'needy' when I talk about this to my DH. He's a saint, that's for sure, but it is very frustrating to be pissed off at this silly little inanimate object!

Mogster - ah - "mental peace"! Love it!! It will come... just gotta get thru this mess first - thanks!

MayK - Thank you! It IS so wrong! I wish I could flag their business ads and tell people my experience.. argh!

Christina - Thank you for the hugs! I could use them! :praise: It does represent frustration and 'rip off' at the moment. Thats not what I want to think of when I see this ring. It's gotta go!

Missy - Thanks for the wishes for the 'next phase'! If its BGD, it will be a breeze! And yes, I shouldn't have to live with something subpar - we all shouldn't have to - "life is too short to wear crappy jewellry!" (or drink bad wine!) :lol:

Plummiecat - yup, you are right on track with the new vendor concept!

Maisie - thanks! Better to deal with someone who has an awesome reputation for getting things right and has made so many other people happy on this site!

I'm not totally flush with cash (a vacation coming up in a few weeks + 2 November vacations) so this would be an unexpected semi-impulse (but totally JUSTIFIED! ;)) ) purchase. Will wait and see what Denise comes back with today.

Its the money thing - on one hand - I feel like I've invested cash, time, effort into this original setting and now I'm feeling 'ripped off' that the original company has let me down. It's not fair (and I'm all about "FAIR") so part of me wants them to fix it - remake it in a proper alloy to avoid all this nonsense. And yet OTOH, the logical/rational part says no way - they've screwed up too much already, "don't throw good money after bad".

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Just off the phone with Denise... (Brian was at JCK - did you get to meet with him, anyone??) ... but she agreed, this is soooo not right. And the money already spent on this setting, was a significant amount - that would be distressing to spend and not get what you thought you were getting. The original vendor did not do right by this setting - "GLUE? GASP!" - She's looking at 2 princess 3-stone options for me and going to check out if they could add the side stones back into the shank of one of their settings or if not, if there is a super skinny band they could embed them into, as per Dreamers suggestion of a Tiffany bezet style setting.

I'm excited! There is hope on the horizon!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

I met with Brian. It was lovely. Honey, start over. I agree. And go with BGD. Brian and Lesley (and Denise) will take good care of you. If you can in anyway.

Did you by any chance pay with a credit card? If you did, I would get the appraiser to put in writing that it's not up to any retail standard imaginable, and then dispute the charges and send them the appraisal as proof. Send the setting back to them, with a verified mailing service and see that your CC does the rest for you.

If you didn't pay with a credit card. Is there some way type of small claims court that you have access to?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

Really? Seven months later I could go through my credit card for protection? Isn't that too long? What would that process be...how would I start? I think that takes me back to the B&M for a face to face with the owner first. I guess I could do that.

Can you share more info on that plan?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Why not? You tried to work it out with the vendor. That's what took so long. But you CAN get the credit card to work for you. I Would try them FIRST, absolutely. They will advocate for you. And get your money back. At least a partial refund.

Chloegal

Rough_Rock

I once had a ring made up that looked like that and it turned out that the person making it used a really cheap alloy that he mixed in with the gold. It was unfixable even with repeated rhodeum platings. It upsets me to this day as it was a full priced transaction that cost over $3000.

In your case I think the time is a give away that things are not right. It sounds like they are sending it to someone else to do or something else like that.

In my case the ring looks like its made from lead.

Chloegal

Rough_Rock

shimmer|1338787506|3208700 said:
I agree with Charmy, ask them to fix it one more time--with a different manufacturer. IIRC you are in Canada and I have seen one manufacturer with that (*sorry*) hideous 'white gold' alloy and I was speechless the first time I saw it, I felt so bad for the owner.

I can't even describe what it looks like, but it is truly awful and you have every right to have it remade in a proper alloy mix--Pd WG does not look like this from any other manufacturer I have seen, this company just got it really, really wrong and you should not have to pay the price for that. ETA: I cannot stress enough that it looks even worse, way worse in person than Enerchi's photos! I feel so :( for you.

That said, for lurkers, if metal color is important to you--please ask your jeweler to show you an example of the exact metal from the manufacturer they use before you spend thousands on a custom mount! Ask for them to unplate it as well so you can see how it wears. It is a simple process that would likely have saved this situation, it's unfortunate that jeweller's do not offer this option up front but if they are worth your $$ they will show you if you ask.

Wow this advice should be in the sticky section. It is so relevant now with all the different alloys being used around the world and different interpretations of white gold. The unplated product is really important too because many platers are not plating with any great amount of rhodeum, and/ or it is contamenated/ porious etc. Meaning the underneith shows through and needs replating more often in many cases.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results