shape
carat
color
clarity

Would you trade an I AGS000 for a J Brian Gavin Signature?

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Considering all things even (except the price); I have the chance to "upgrade" my wife's 2.4ct AGS000 (beautiful stone) I color, to a 2.7ct J BG Signature. It will be a present, I hope she will be pleased! With that said, is this an "upgrade"? The cost upgrade is around $8,000. I wanted to get her a Brian Gavin the first time; couldn't swing the price, and the stone she has is gorgeous, simply stunning. But I know that BG is on another level, and they are willing to take the current one in on trade.

Thoughts: How much of an upgrade will this be? The idealscope is very good on her current stone. Not ACA/Signature standards, but better than you see in almost any jewelry store. Her ring constantly gets comments, especially from jewelers.

I vs J: probably insignificant, considering I am moving up in cut? The I appears white to non-trained eyes.

Size: 8.45 vs 8.92mm. Noticeable?

Sparkle: It should be a noticeable improvement, correct? I am not spending this money for a name; it needs to be more brilliant to the eye. What would you think, maybe 10% brighter?

Or is this all wishful thinking? Don't want to flush my money down a hole, but honestly, I drive a truck with 200k miles and live a pretty basic life. She deserves nice things though! As much as I see her gawking at her current ring, I can't imagine what it will be like with a Brian Gavin Signature on there.

Current diamond:

600_172782-aset_black__fancy_-01.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Would you trade an I AGS000 for a J Brian Gavin Signatur

Gosh, it sounds like your current stone is a beauty and that your wife loves it! Unless your wife is unhappy with the size and has always wished for a larger stone, I would keep the current stone and forego this particular upgrade...

I do think a tint is likely visible in a J stone, even in a super-ideal stone, and I would not recommend trading a beloved and admired white-facing strong-performing diamond for a very slightly larger but not-so-white super-ideal diamond.

I wouldn't recommend it even if the upgrade cost was minimal but do I understand correctly that your out-of-pocket cost for the upgrade is $8K?? That seems like a lot of money when your wife is so happy with her current diamond.

Of course you know your wife best and maybe even if she hasn't said so, you know she really prizes size above color... if so, proceed, but perhaps find out if you can reverse the trade-in/upgrade if it turns out your wife really wants to keep the original diamond?

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock

Her current stone sounds amazing. I really don't have much knowledge about BG stones. Yikes, $8,000 for .30 more size and downgrade in color? I hope it is everything you want it to be. I will be watching your post to see your new beauty. I'll bet your new 2.70 will look like a 3ct stunner!

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

marymm|1455323990|3990360 said:
Gosh, it sounds like your current stone is a beauty and that your wife loves it! Unless your wife is unhappy with the size and has always wished for a larger stone, I would keep the current stone and forego this particular upgrade...

I do think a tint is likely visible in a J stone, even in a super-ideal stone, and I would not recommend trading a beloved and admired white-facing strong-performing diamond for a very slightly larger but not-so-white super-ideal diamond.

I wouldn't recommend it even if the upgrade cost was minimal but do I understand correctly that your out-of-pocket cost for the upgrade is $8K?? That seems like a lot of money when your wife is so happy with her current diamond.

Of course you know your wife best and maybe even if she hasn't said so, you know she really prizes size above color... if so, proceed, but perhaps find out if you can reverse the trade-in/upgrade if it turns out your wife really wants to keep the original diamond?

Yes, I would have a return option if she said no....she loves her current stone. I just always wanted to get her the best of the best. It bugged me that I couldn't justify it the first time around....now that I can, I want to. But I understand your point. It is a lot of money.

It's just so tough to compare a very strong performing ideal stone to a super ideal. Part of the difference in price is the fact that the current one is a very clean Si2, while she would be getting an Si1. She has no issues with the current Si2 clarity, loves the fact that she got a bigger stone in the tradeoff, but there aren't any super ideals running around that are "clean" Si2's, so I am paying for that as well, unfortunately.

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Current img_3106.jpg

img_2754.jpg

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1455324532|3990367 said:
I would not go down to J color. I would do a smaller size upgrade to an I color signature stone, but not J. I would be really upset if my husband did that, to be honest.

Well, I don't see an I color one, but how about this (if eyeclean)?

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/2.570-h-si1-round-diamond-ags-104068651001

Damn, that's gorgeous, if it weren't another $9500! Maybe I should hold off and start saving?

Q

Queenie60

I think you should keep the stone she has, especially since she likes it and it's a great performing stone. I would be upset with my husband if he did that to me. Save the money and get her something else special. There are plenty of jewels out there that you can purchase for $8,000! I'm sure you will make the right decision. :wavey:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Are you tied to BGD? If they are willing to do a trade/upgrade with you, likely other vendors would too.

For example, here's a link to WhiteFlash's current in-house inventory of super-ideal-cut MRBs 2.5-2.99ct D-I - http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/search.aspx

If you're willing to consider other vendors, I'd suggest also checking with Good Old Gold and High Performance Diamonds. If any of these other vendors have a diamond meeting your prereqs, then you could email them to inquire whether they too would amenable to a trade/upgrade transaction.

eta: If your wife hasn't been vocal about wanting a larger stone, I'd also encourage you to think about perhaps buying a diamond anniversary band or diamond pendant rather than going forward with an upgrade.

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

marymm|1455325455|3990375 said:
Are you tied to BGD? If they are willing to do a trade/upgrade with you, likely other vendors would too.

For example, here's a link to WhiteFlash's current in-house inventory of super-ideal-cut MRBs 2.5-2.99ct D-I - http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/search.aspx

If you're willing to consider other vendors, I'd suggest also checking with Good Old Gold and High Performance Diamonds. If any of these other vendors have a diamond meeting your prereqs, then you could email them to inquire whether they too would amenable to a trade/upgrade transaction.

eta: If your wife hasn't been vocal about wanting a larger stone, I'd also encourage you to think about perhaps buying a diamond anniversary band or diamond pendant rather than going forward with an upgrade.

Thank you! Definitely not vocal...she loves it. I just feel bad it wasn't a super ideal. She would love it either way.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

I wouldn't do it as a surprise. But I wouldn't be totally upset with going down a color grade and gaining a decent size increase. But the clarity would have to be equal or better.

queradas

Rough_Rock

dumbo|1455322753|3990357 said:
Or is this all wishful thinking? Don't want to flush my money down a hole, but honestly, I drive a truck with 200k miles and live a pretty basic life. She deserves nice things though! As much as I see her gawking at her current ring, I can't imagine what it will be like with a Brian Gavin Signature on there.

Many experts agree all other things created equal (which they never are) near HA to HA you would barely be able to notice a difference if any. The size difference would be noticeable as would likely the tint. But the change in cut is just not that significant with an already well cut diamond. I could say more if you posted the AGSL report on your diamond.

In your shoes I am definitely not upgrading for the "mind clean" aspects of getting a signature stone.

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

queradas|1455331784|3990412 said:

Many experts agree all other things created equal (which they never are) near HA to HA you would barely be able to notice a difference if any. The size difference would be noticeable as would likely the tint. But the change in cut is just not that significant with an already well cut diamond. I could say more if you posted the AGSL report on your diamond.

In your shoes I am definitely not upgrading for the "mind clean" aspects of getting a signature stone.

screen_shot_2016-02-12_at_7.png

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

dumbo|1455334117|3990424 said:

Beautiful stone :love:

I can almost see your thought process when purchasing this stone. You wanted super ideal, but wasn't within your budget (or you had to compromise on color/carat). You made a sensible decision to go with eye-clean SI2 and get something that is REALLY REALLY close to super ideal. 40.6 pav and 35.6 crown are complimentary. 55% is beautiful. 62.4 depth is just fine. It is AGS 000 with a perfect computer generated ASET. There is small light leakage under the table in the actual ASET, but it may not be significant.
The result was/is a stunning stone.

I would not trade, at least for this J you are talking about..

queradas

Rough_Rock

dumbo|1455334117|3990424 said:
queradas|1455331784|3990412 said:

screen_shot_2016-02-12_at_7.png

Not trading this in either, fiery ideal cut. Taller Crown, Smaller Table its a keeper to me.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Trading is a great goal. Since you are willing to spend that much anyway,nI would save a little more and wait for a significant improvement in cut, color and size. Your wife is in no rush, so you have time.

susief

Shiny_Rock

Have you talked with her about the idea of upgrading in general? Is there a possibility she might be very attached to it and not want to part with it?

(I love upgrades, but I hear there are some strange women in non-Pricescope lands who are averse to such things).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would save for a slightly larger stone in H or I color and better clarity in a super-ideal. I'd personally be happy with just the upgrade in cut and clarity. You can gain a little size just getting a stone that is not as deep, so a 2.5 ct would be a noticeable upgrade in size. I definitely agree with also checking with Whiteflash when the time comes.

pfunk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

No way would I upgrade that diamond for that kind of money, unless she REALLY wants the impact of a larger diamond. Seeing as to how she already has a very good size diamond, and one with a really desirable cut, I wouldn't part with it. I'm afraid the performance difference you are predicting will not be as noticeable as you are thinking it will be. I'd be even more hesitant to switch to the J color unless she is really sure that she is cool with J color. An AGS graded J could show a fair amount of color saturation, especially in a stone that size.

dumbo

Shiny_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006|1455377349|3990520 said:
I would save for a slightly larger stone in H or I color and better clarity in a super-ideal. I'd personally be happy with just the upgrade in cut and clarity. You can gain a little size just getting a stone that is not as deep, so a 2.5 ct would be a noticeable upgrade in size. I definitely agree with also checking with Whiteflash when the time comes.

Thanks. I spoke to someone at WF awhile back, they recommended that to eventually "size up" to go up at least .5mm, otherwise the difference is insignificant and hard to see unless side by side with other smaller stones.

She may not be happy with the color, good point. She is very happy with the clarity however, and told me she was happy that I that I didn't pay more for clarity she couldn't appreciate. It is hard to find a clean Si2.

So really, it comes down to the better cut, which it sounds to be not significant, or even noticeable in most conditions, and the upgrade in size, which isn't all that much, a potentially noticeable downgrade in color, for quite a bit of money.

In other words, save the money. Look for a 2.8ct or larger I color ACA/BG Sig at some point in the future.

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade

$8000 sure would buy a gorgeous pair of studs :naughty:

D2B

Brilliant_Rock

I suppose the question is is the diamond upgrade for you or her (and please take it as being meant kindly ) .. If she is really happy then perhaps spend your hard earned dollars on some amazing studs or a half eternity or full eternity band to compliment her amazing ring.

If she wants an upgrade consider the importance of colour - some don't care, but for me I wouldn't want a J ( or at least not sight unseen) and not for $8000 difference - that is a lot - you say she gets heaps of comments now about her stone, she may therefore be proud of it and love it ( it may be best to have an open chat and together decide what to do - trust me half the fun for a lot of us is in the planning and knowing we have the $ to spend and then figuring out what to do with it.)

Good luck let us know how you go :wavey:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium

$8000 sure would buy a gorgeous pair of studs :naughty:

I agree with this. $8k would get you awesome BGD studs, and she gets to keep enjoying that nice honkin ring she already loves!

hearts-arrows_girl

Brilliant_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1455377349|3990520 said:
I agree with Diamondseeker!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results