shape
carat
color
clarity

Would YOU spend $50k for a diamond?

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Hi:

This is a very frivolous questionI know but realistically, $1,000, $2,000, $3,000, $4,000, $5,000. is a lot for a stone..... When does it ever end? What's the lowest you would settle for and what realistically would you want/expect for that $50k??

Would you pick size over color?

Would you pick Flawless???

Would you pick the best cut possible???

Would you have to have all and sacrifice the size somewhat?

OR: Would you say that the whole thing is ridiculous and you would spend less and get decent, smaller but with a good color and cut and eye clean! :???:

GMUAlum08

Shiny_Rock
no chance. that's a ton of wasted money that could go to more important things. unless i hit the lottery no chance would i pay that much for a stone.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I would not invest $50,000 on a diamond. Yes, at that price, I would consider it an investment. And as we have read on here countless times, diamonds on the second hand market do not hold their value.

Unless you are going to lock it up in your safe deposit box, would it be practical to wear a flawless diamond? One accidental hit and it might not be flawless for long. And imo when diamonds get too big, they look fake.

For me, even if money were no object, I would not waste that much on a diamond.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, it is easy for us to say we wouldn't spend that much on a diamond because most of us can't. But come on, if my husband made millions a year, I am quite certain I'd have a tasteful well cut, high color and clarity diamond...or two or three! And yes, I'd give much to charity and the church as well.

(And really, $50,000 doesn't have to mean a really big big diamond anyway....

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2763512.htm

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2681948.htm

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1343851762|3244457 said:
Sure, as long as GIA graded it Fancy Red with material and color of natural origin.

Yeah, and that would be probably be less than a quarter of a carat or thereabouts?! :bigsmile:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1343851834|3244458 said:
Sure, as long as GIA graded it Fancy Red with material and color of natural origin.

Yeah, and that would be probably be less than a quarter of a carat or thereabouts?! :bigsmile:
0.22 ct for $79,300, so $50K would get you less than 0.2 ct.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1343852079|3244459 said:
diamondseeker2006|1343851834|3244458 said:

0.22 ct for $79,300, so $50K would get you less than 0.2 ct.

I figured! $50k doesn't really get a lot these days even in well cut colorless diamonds if you looked at my examples....$42K for a 2 ct. E VS2.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would spend it if I had millions. I'd get a large (3-4 carat) step cut probably. D-G and eyeclean.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
No, I wouldn't, I would rather spend that money on travel or a house. I have a size 5.25 finger and the largest I'd be comfortable wearing right now is about a 1.5 carat stone. Now, if I were 55, owned my home, retired comfortably, and was living a life of leisure, I'd totally spend $12,700 on the 2.57 carat OEC from JBEG: http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Loose-Diamonds/257ct-Old-European-Cut-Diamond/22551067_sN99jb#!i=1804688626&k=BWLFnRZ or possibly about $20k on the 3.48 antique cushion: http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Loose-Diamonds/347ct-Antique-Cushion-Cut/23836768_WT92sQ#!i=1932214884&k=RHWmP7f

I have tried on a 5 carat round and it felt like I was wearing a ring pop. But I don't move in social circles where large diamonds are the norm. Most of my close friends are still single, or have rings smaller than what I wear (a .55 radiant). The largest stone I see regularly (on a co-worker) is likely a 1.25 round, and the largest one owned by a family member is a 2 carat princess.

Fife

Rough_Rock
If I made $300,000/year after tax, I'd definitely spend $50k for a diamond.

I'd get the largest size Perfect-Cut; H; VS1 I could find.

If I'm willing to spend more than 50k, I'd stop at 2.5 carat, and just max out Color/Clarity

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thing is Rubybeth, those who can spend $50k on a diamond also have the money to travel and buy a nice house. I think all of those are accessible to people who have that kind of money. And they are usually in social circles with people who have similar large homes, fancy cars, and diamonds.

I'd feel comfortable with up to a 3 ct emerald cut or AVC and something in the 2 ct. range for a round in D-G color, VS1 if I had that kind of money! I am only comfortable wearing 1.5 cts or so in my real life! ;))

rubymd

Rough_Rock
I have seen people talk about much higher budget on here including from designers like HW. So some would. Honestly, money and what people spend it on is all relative to what your hobbies are and how much you have. We all spend money on things that others around us shake there heads about. I drive a Yaris which many wouldn't have a nice 100 year old house in a modest neighborhood. For who I spend time with I spend way more on jewels than they do. I also happen to ride a motorcycle so my 20K harley is something that many people I know shake their head at. Pricescope people understand the jewels and my rider friends understand my bike. Other people think of both as my obsessions they don't understand but love me anyway. So it is hard to judge a budget without living with it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1343853655|3244474 said:
The thing is Rubybeth, those who can spend $50k on a diamond also have the money to travel and buy a nice house. I think all of those are accessible to people who have that kind of money. And they are usually in social circles with people who have similar large homes, fancy cars, and diamonds.

I'd feel comfortable with up to a 3 ct emerald cut or AVC and something in the 2 ct. range for a round in D-G color, VS1 if I had that kind of money! I am only comfortable wearing 1.5 cts or so in my real life! ;))

The amount I spent on on my collection is about what I spent on my house, actually likely more.
I never travel, can't afford to.
People vary.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1343855725|3244493 said:

The amount I spent on on my collection is about what I spent on my house, actually likely more.
I never travel, can't afford to.
People vary.

My point was that people who make millions really don't have to make those kinds of choices...they can have the house, the car, and $50k diamonds. I spend way more on jewelry than the average person in my social circle, I am sure. I choose jewelry over a luxury car anyday! But I don't buy single diamonds worth $50k, either. (I'd actually be afraid to total up the value of my jewelry because it might scare me! :errrr: )

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
If you have the income where that is reasonable or it is your passion so you prefer to funnel your funds into that, then I don't see a problem. For me the price where it ends depends on my disposable income and what I want. I love halo's but want a max finger coverage of 11mm incl the halo so that would limit me in diamonds. On the other hand I would love a 90-100% color shift Russian Alexandrite.

-Cut is very very important but I love old cuts so you can't really find superideals there.
- I would never pay for a flawless diamond, if I can't see it then I probably won't pay for it.
- Well I prefer lower colors, but I would choose one with brown tint and smaller ct over one with yellow tint and higher carat.

Figure out what you want, what are your minimums and mind clean issues and then go from there. :wavey:

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Hi N:

Thanks so much. I hate to say that money is not an issue - b/c if you do care about a "dollar" then you will never quite feel that way... That being said - I would say that in all honesty - it's a matter of "want", "principle" and "common sense".... and I say that again...... "common-sense" with a frivolous purchase... or one that many would perhaps perceive that way.

I am not one that needs the "best".. I like value in things and my first priority is that "I love it"... then I become, "common-sense".. As mentioned, I do not need bigger than a 3.5 ct (9.4mm) and may very well be just fine with smaller... I do not have the smallest fingers - as those on here it seems (I'm a 6 but I like to stack them!!!!!!!!! so some of my rings are a 7!!!!!!!!!!!!) I'm a very petite girl but got those 6 fingers... so therefore, I feel like an OEC will do the trick of looking nicer on my finger and I'm thinking that a bezel will look the most appropriate with a larger size. I do want people to think it is "gorgeous"... first and foremost...

Okay - there it is... I'm struggling with spending a lot (more than I anticipated) but again, it was a "love" thing... When you least expect it... EXPECT it!..

Again, this is a passion, obsession, a love. Not a need, nor a status... I just really loved it.. Now common sense kicked in...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
For me, it's the level of comfort. I would feel uncomfortable wearing a single piece worth $50K. If I had millions and could buy whatever I wanted, I could easily spend $50K but it would be on a variety of jewelry...a collection rather than a single ring. That is me though. I am understated and prefer smaller stones.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1343852595|3244463 said:
I would spend it if I had millions. I'd get a large (3-4 carat) step cut probably. D-G and eyeclean.

DITTO. :naughty:

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have to agree that I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing that much money on my hand. I prefer jewelry that I can wear and enjoy daily, and I just can't see myself wearing something that pricey.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock

Yeah, I get that, but the post asked if *I* would spend $50k on a diamond, and I wouldn't. I'd probably spend under $10k, even if I did have $50k to burn on jewelry.

MC|1343863816|3244572 said:
For me, it's the level of comfort. I would feel uncomfortable wearing a single piece worth $50K. If I had millions and could buy whatever I wanted, I could easily spend $50K but it would be on a variety of jewelry...a collection rather than a single ring. That is me though. I am understated and prefer smaller stones.

This is also my feeling. Wearing one piece worth $50k would be more stressful than enjoyable to me, but that's just me. Even if I were a millionaire, I'd still shop at Target and buy clothes from Old Navy. :D From what I've read of most millionaires, they don't value 'status' symbols (most don't drink expensive wine or drive luxury cars) and it's the 'aspirationals' who want to appear rich who care about these things. I'd rather have my money in the bank or investments than on my fingers.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much MC, HotPozzum and DIamond*Diana:

I appreciate all of your opinions. Diamond*Diana: I guess you hit it for me when you said that you would need to be comfortable for something you would wear everyday - That's kind of my point. I would rather spend a lot on one piece that I would wear 'every single day"
than have a ton of things. Not that it would all have to add up to this amount. But for me, it's kind of the mindset that I wear a pocketbook, watch, wedding band and earrings every single day. My musts! So I can justify spending more on these things b/c they will be used on a daily basis, thus divide the cost by 365 days a year and then x how many years.. and VOILA!! I can justify it!! (although earrings - I have not gotten to yet b/c I would not personally spend a lot on this item as I switch them everyday and do not need to wear expensive or real ones, etc).

Okay - I think I'm starting to have a break through. I appreciate all of your help. While I DO NOT need to spend a crazy amount for this item, it's a matter of how much enjoyment I will get (daily that it is) and how much I LOVE IT!!! So no rush, perhaps there is another lovely love out there waiting!! But I think I feel better. Thank you again. :)

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Emeraldcutlover|1343849481|3244440 said:
Hi:

This is a very frivolous questionI know but realistically, $1,000, $2,000, $3,000, $4,000, $5,000. is a lot for a stone..... When does it ever end? What's the lowest you would settle for and what realistically would you want/expect for that $50k??

Would you pick size over color?

Would you pick Flawless???

Would you pick the best cut possible???

Would you have to have all and sacrifice the size somewhat?

OR: Would you say that the whole thing is ridiculous and you would spend less and get decent, smaller but with a good color and cut and eye clean! :???:
If that was my budget and I could get it, I'd get the biggest F-G, Med-strong blue, VVS2-VS1, Star129 I could get and possibly find a way to get two smaller matching sidestones.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GMUAlum08|1343849638|3244442 said:
no chance. that's a ton of wasted money that could go to more important things. unless i hit the lottery no chance would i pay that much for a stone.

I agree with this.

Even if I had millions, I'd still rather spend it on other things, like a house, remodeling, vacations, private schooling for the kids, college educations, etc. I think the *most* I would ever want to spend on an engagement ring would be 8 or 9k. I used to own a 13k diamond, and it made me uncomfortable to have all that money tied up in a piece of jewelry, so I sold it.

Plus, another good point MC made is that I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing such an expensive ring. And the insurance premium would be pretty pricey too, I'd imagine! :$$):

peasypeas

Rough_Rock
I wear my wedding ring. that's it. so yes if I could I would. because I don't wear a lot nor do I collect pieces.

Emeraldcutlover

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Rubybeth:

I completely agree with you. I shop at Target, Old Navy, Walmart and Homegoods, etc. all the time! That's my point! I love a good bargain. I enjoy the "look" that one can put together and not always spend a ton. Jewelry though is a bit different. It's typically expensive. That's why I said if you spend $1k to $50k - it's still a frivolous expensive item. Thus, why I was struggling. I agree about some that are doing it for status... If that were the case - then I would look to get the biggest diamond I could get for that amount. I don't even know if I feel comfortable wearing over 3 ct's.. to be truthful. Again, it was all about the "love" factor. I had no intention of looking this high and Wham - I saw it and loved it. I could get a 4 to 4.5 ct for less but for me I know- that I definately could not sport and feel comfortable.

I asked everyone about the price tag b/c it is just that... Not a neccessity, not a need, not a must... It's just a "want", "hobby", "passion", "happiness". I would not advise one to go into debt for such happiness... This is not about that. It's just taking a step back and also feeling like it's over the top. It's kind of like someone who is a "car' person... They have always wanted a BMW but are going to buy the top of the line Toyota b/c they love all the extra's and enjoy them and then you realize that for $20k more (divided by 365 days a year and you are keeping it for 7+ years..) how much more are you really spending?? $20 a day? How much happier are you? You were already spending thousands of dollars on a car you "liked"... but for ALL THAT money, did you love it?

I felt compelled to respond to you b/c I agree with you on so many levels. There are so many good reasons not to and then there is just the plain old I want to and I have worked hard to afford it. Again, to me, to spend $10k, $20k, etc is still A LOT of money. I was more going for what I thought was beautiful and oh by the way,,,,, it's a lot more... :naughty:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rubybeth|1343867262|3244589 said:
This is also my feeling. Wearing one piece worth $50k would be more stressful than enjoyable to me, but that's just me. Even if I were a millionaire, I'd still shop at Target and buy clothes from Old Navy. :D From what I've read of most millionaires, they don't value 'status' symbols (most don't drink expensive wine or drive luxury cars) and it's the 'aspirationals' who want to appear rich who care about these things. I'd rather have my money in the bank or investments than on my fingers.

I think there is a *lot* of truth to this. The people I know who are wealthy still shop at Target, drive ordinary cars, and carry a basic non-designer leather handbag.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely no question would! :bigsmile: IF I had that type of disposable income. I think all things are relative, I assume that if I lived in a multi-million dollar home and my car was worth $80k then my jewelry would be similar. My mom for instance, when I was growing up, she wore a modest diamond and wedding band, however as my parents financial situation changed, so did the size of her diamond. My mom isn't a huge bling fan, but I imagine if she were that her diamond would be even bigger still. Living the life I live today, no, I wouldn't be comfortable wearing a 3 or 4ct diamond, however, if I were to win a Grammy tomorrow, and started rubbing elbows with that crowd, not only would I feel comfortable with a huge rock, I would probably feel uncomfortable not having one. =)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the financial place we are at now, no. But if we were in a place where we could spend 50k without affecting our other regular luxury purchases, let alone our basic spending/saving, then sure. Someday I'd like a big AVC or asscher. (Big for me is like 3 carats... I have small fingers and like to be able to see the setting, since metalsmithing is my first jewelry love.)

And lolol Rubymd, my fiance just bought a 20k(ish) motorcycle and several thousands of dollars more of equipment, trailer, etc and I don't get it AT ALL. I said, "Why would you buy that death machine when you could buy me a nice big diamond???" :bigsmile: But he's wanted one for a long time and it makes him happy.

Really though I'd rather spend 50k not on one diamond, but on a diamond riviera necklace. *drool* I would wear that sucker every day. And for me it's not about status. If it was, I would probably be trying to buy a new car instead of driving around my 13-year-old, increasingly beat up thingy. I just love jewelry. And I think it's okay to have something you love and to spend money on it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results